W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Dreadful S600 experience! Will the 04 E55 change my mind?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 E55 K2, 98 Dodge Ram2500 diesel/propane, M3 race car, BMW X3
Dreadful S600 experience! Will the 04 E55 change my mind?

Hi all,

New to this forum but have followed along for years. Of course I love cars and speed and currently have an 01 S600. Worst car experience of my life which is saying something compared to what I used to drive when I was younger. 133 days in the shop in the past 2 years. This was in marked contrast to my previous experience. I had a 1973 280E (if anyone can remember that far back) with 150K miles and never a problem.

So, my question would be, will the E55 change my mind mind about Mercedes? The dealer is offering a good deal on a trade for an 04 E55 with 8K.
How well do you all know your dealers? I know mine all too well with the service manager on my speed dial! I don't want to repeat that experience. I am waying up an 03 M5 vs the E55. Of course the dealer will give me a much better deal for a MB product than if I take the money and move to something else. How has your ownership experience been?
Thanks, Mark.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 M5
Originally Posted by mkeeton
Hi all,

New to this forum but have followed along for years. Of course I love cars and speed and currently have an 01 S600. Worst car experience of my life which is saying something compared to what I used to drive when I was younger. 133 days in the shop in the past 2 years. This was in marked contrast to my previous experience. I had a 1973 280E (if anyone can remember that far back) with 150K miles and never a problem.

So, my question would be, will the E55 change my mind mind about Mercedes? The dealer is offering a good deal on a trade for an 04 E55 with 8K.
How well do you all know your dealers? I know mine all too well with the service manager on my speed dial! I don't want to repeat that experience. I am waying up an 03 M5 vs the E55. Of course the dealer will give me a much better deal for a MB product than if I take the money and move to something else. How has your ownership experience been?
Thanks, Mark.

Mark,

I have a 2004 E55 with every option but parktronic and distronic. The only problem I have had was the supercharger making a chirping noise last year. When I took it in the dealer found something out of spec (they called it a gap distance) and replaced the entire supercharger no questions asked.

Otherwise, that was it. I bought the car with 400 miles on it and now have 20,000 and it's been great.

If you're debating a 2003 M5 vs 2004 E55 there is no doubt you should go with the E55! Anything else and you'll regret it.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-13-2005, 10:48 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Hi all,

Thanks, Mark.
Have had my car for 18 months and love every minute (NO PROBLEMS). One of the best four door sedans ever produced!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:55 PM

CLK320
German V12's are always a pain. Try an E55 or another model that is a V8 I'm sure you'll be happier.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:02 PM

03 E500
Hi all,

Thanks, Mark.
My E500 had no problems at all, besides a few minor rattles which I fixed myself the car is a tank. E55 with 8k shouldn't be problematic but I would suggest you do a full car fax and have the dealer fully check out the mechanicals of the car. We'll never know how those 8k miles are used.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:10 PM

E55
Hi all,

Thanks, Mark.
Mark

I think you'll be incredibly happy. I bought mine with about 8k on it, and while I'm sure any 8k in an E55k was done reasonably hard, it appears to have held up well. I drove it half way across the country (TX to MA) in a relocation and have done another 3k above that 2K, all in 6 months and have had only one minor problem (fuel pressure issue causing cold start occasionally). That was fixed by a very attentive service dept in Boston (Herb Chambers). In fact the car was in the shop about 6 days (over Memorial Day weekend so they had it 3 days longer than necessary), but they even gave me a free rental for that time, which is usually reserved for people that purchased their cars there.

Just go for it and get it - you'll be very happy!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:40 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
The E is the best MB. I have had 4, one with a 6 and 3 V8s. My Dad has driven S's for 20 years and he switched to E500. I think that AMG MBs are a different animal. They are the cremedelacreme of the line. My current E55 is by far my favorite. I've had problems with MB phone reception and that's it. Truely an amazing car. Drive one, you'll see. I won't have another MB that's not an AMG. Personally however I like the first 12000 miles and prefer to get a brand new one. They smell better.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:55 PM

Smile Thanks for all the feedback.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Just what I was hoping to hear! I was wondering if the AMG assembled cars maybe did better than the rest due to increased attention to detail. In any event the new E seems to perhaps be a better design than the S600 and what is not to love about 469 hp! It would take a highly modified M5 to hang with the E55.

So, off to the test drive. The car is local one owner with no problems in the first 8K which sounds hopeful. I am sure that it has been driven hard but hopefully that is what they were designed to do.

Happy driving and I will let you know the outcome!

Thanks, Mark.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:19 AM

one of seven
I had to post 'cause last Friday, I called my service guy at the MB dealership just to tell him how much I love my car!! It's been completely trouble free. He asked me why he never sees me and I just had to laugh and say because nothing ever went wrong. (just go in for regular service) At first he thought I was telling him I loved my car because I had modded it and was excited about having more power, but no, no mods yet, just a happy E55 owner that grins every time I'm lucky enough to get behind the wheel!! Enjoy. mp
Old 06-14-2005, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
look at a used 04 s55. they have been greatly improved and you will not miss the back seat room in the s class.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
used s55
I agree...you might feel a little claustrophobic in the back seat of an E compared to the living room of the S600.

Only a few tenths slower than the E so she doesn't get as much press, but it kicks.

I must admit, I have never owned an S, so when the next body comes out and if it looks as good as I am hoping.....thinking of trying the S55.....I still dream of the S65, but just can't spend that kinda dough....yet.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
I am a BMW and Mercedes fan. I think the E39 M5 is a great car, but it is by no means maintainence free. If you like doing your own work and fixing minor things constantly get the M5, otherwise the E55 would be my pick.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:54 AM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
05 with 9k. Zero issues. I will never not have (excuse the grammar) an AMG car after this, my first, AMG ownership experience. E55 is arguably the best bang for the buck there is with regards to power, luxury, build quality, and refinement.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:15 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
One other point about M5s, if they are as troublesome as my M3s I won't have one. My wife is on her 3rd M3 convertible since 99 and they have spent more time in the shop collectively than any 5 other cars I have had. They are a PIA. If they are good they are very very good. But if they are bad they are horrid. Unfortunately I have had horrid ones. My wife still loves the car tho. Our BMW dealership is not known for having a great mechanic. NO mistake they have one guy to service all the BMWs at the dealership. Hope this helps your decision.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:58 AM

04 E55, 12 CLS63
Hi all,

Thanks, Mark.
I had an 01 S55. It not a V12 but very problematic nonetheless. Like you, it was the absolute worst car ownership experience of my life. I actually swore off MB until I drove an E55. I'd say, it was like night and day. I've had the E55 for a little over a year now and so far nothing like my old S55. Very reliable. However, if you normally carry passengers in the rear, they will certainly miss the legroom of the S-class.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:06 PM

Going to take a serious look at the E55 tomorrow!

I appreciate all the comments. I don't travel in the back so my occasional passenger might complain but "Oh well".

Everywhere I have looked including consumer reports etc. suggests the E55 is altogether a different experience to the W220 S-class which seems plagued with problems.

I think I am over the "throwing good money after bad" feeling and now it will be the process of finding the "right" E55.

Thanks again, great to hear that you are all enjoying the E55 experience.

Mark.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:21 PM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Welcome

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum! I too am a new member/owner and have experienced very little problems w/my '05 "Beast"! Can say though that I had a BMW 7-series before, and had nothing but problems! I have settled into the notion that there are definitely LEMONS in every brand! Best thing to do is try and address any issues as quickly as possible! Good luck and go AMG not BMW!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 PM

2004 E55
ONe of the biggest things i like about my E55, is that this weekend i was at a local dealer:

5 CL 65's, a mess of other 55's
0 E55's

Not a car you see everyday, and i follow ferrari's and lambo's in and out of my neighborhood.