Sponsored by:

Dyno Update...Hot Off The Press

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 M5
Dyno Update...Hot Off The Press

Here's the most recent dyno update after the Kleemann ECU. These are from this morning:
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Update...Hot Off The Press-darren_after_ecu.gif   Dyno Update...Hot Off The Press-darren_after_ecu2.gif  
Old 06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Darren,

Congrats! Your making real good power.

I think the only difference between our cars is that I have the EVO cooling kit and a cut out exhaust...may good for 10-15 more rwhp? I will find out later this week.

Is this dyno SAE corrected for temp, humidity, elevation? Was it a dynojet or mustang dyno?

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by e55 baller
Darren,

Congrats! Your making real good power.

I think the only difference between our cars is that I have the EVO cooling kit and a cut out exhaust...may good for 10-15 more rwhp? I will find out later this week.

Is this dyno SAE corrected for temp, humidity, elevation? Was it a dynojet or mustang dyno?

Thanks!
Thank you very much. The dyno was an actual dynojet brand (not a mustang dyno) and the numbers are SAE corrected. I don't know if that's good or bad though.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 PM

04 E55 & 04 Armada
Darren,
excuse the ignorance but what does that exactly mean, is that at the wheels hp or crank. Our cars make 469 hp stock, and 516 lbs of torque...so what are the corresponding numbers for your car now..?

Ray
Old 06-21-2005, 02:57 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by Ray J
Darren,
excuse the ignorance but what does that exactly mean, is that at the wheels hp or crank. Our cars make 469 hp stock, and 516 lbs of torque...so what are the corresponding numbers for your car now..?

Ray

Very good question young padiwan. All my dyno graphs have been at the wheels.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Double D...I don't know if you already posted this and if you did...sorry...What were the baseline numbers prior to mods?

Where do you "subjectively" feel the most significant improvement?

Thanks ahead of time...
Old 06-21-2005, 04:05 PM

'06 M5
The car just feels more powerful all around. Before I had the ECU tuned I would say the biggest improvement was at standing start or lower speeds, but now the car is just more beastly at all rpms.

Here is my before dyno:
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Update...Hot Off The Press-darren_before-dyno.gif  
Old 06-21-2005, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
You picked up 90 rwhp and 80 rwtq...I'd say you at 580-600 crank HP ...but then again who cars about calculating crank HP and debating what the parasitic drivetrain loss is.

Is it normal for our cars to run pig rich at redline? Seems like we could tune out another 10-15 rwhp by tuning for a 11.5 ratio but I guess the ECU is safe, but not as conservative as the Speed tuning chip.

On your first pass looks like you went rich soon and peaked HP at 5.5K or so...shy of redline....what did you do differently between the first and second run? Second is much better.

Last edited by e55 baller; 06-21-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:01 PM

'06 M5
Depending on how the person doing the dyno gets on the throttle will determine how the a/f and torque come out. I've noticed decent fluctuations in torque numbers and a/f ratios between pulls, yet the hp stays relatively consistent.

Remember though, the tuning I have is by Kleemann for Kleemann pulleys. I believe Brandon when he said it would definitely help, but would not necessarily be perfect since the pulley diameter I have is different than Kleemann's pulley diameter. Regardless, it made a world of a difference.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by darren_dallas
The car just feels more powerful all around. Before I had the ECU tuned I would say the biggest improvement was at standing start or lower speeds, but now the car is just more beastly at all rpms.

Here is my before dyno:
It appears that your REV limit has been raised as well. Is that correct?
Great improvement, congrats!
Old 06-22-2005, 07:44 AM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by Rafal
It appears that your REV limit has been raised as well. Is that correct?
Great improvement, congrats!
Yes sir, I believe it has been raised.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Why is there a difference of 20+rwt between the two graphs?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
All of my dyno experience has been with bikes,BUT,usually the first pull is a bit weaker than corresponding pulls due to the engine not being run up to proper temp...

Darren-dallas,is it necessary to have the car tuned on the dyno after flashing the ECU?

I'm seriously considering this mod,but Kleeman is nowhere near me,and Renntech is about 1000 miles away.I'd hate to put the modded ECU in and then have the car run like crap

And did/do you have any concerns with MB voiding your factory warranty after your mods???

Sorry for all the frickin' questions
Old 06-26-2005, 09:29 AM

2012 C63 Coupe Iridium Silver
excuse my ignorance, but why is the graph with the kleemann ecu all wiggly, while before the upgrade the graph was quite smooth

does ecu tuning create less linear power delivery?

*edit* maybe i'm getting confused? Are both graphs with the kleemann ecu and the second one esp is playing up?
Old 06-26-2005, 09:43 AM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by medici78
Why is there a difference of 20+rwt between the two graphs?
Isaac,

I've noticed this number varies with every person doing the dyno. Depending on how the operator lays on the gas (press it to the floor immediately, press down with a slow smooth action until a certain rpm them floor it, or maybe flutter the gas a little, etc.).

By the way, I have a third dyno graph (from the third pull) from the same day which has 520 rwt...go figure that one out. Yet the hp was slightly less than the first two pulls (car was getting hotter and hotter since I had to leave and asked them to just get the last pull over with right after doing the second pull).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Darren

Last edited by darren_dallas; 06-26-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:56 AM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
All of my dyno experience has been with bikes,BUT,usually the first pull is a bit weaker than corresponding pulls due to the engine not being run up to proper temp...

Darren-dallas,is it necessary to have the car tuned on the dyno after flashing the ECU?

I'm seriously considering this mod,but Kleeman is nowhere near me,and Renntech is about 1000 miles away.I'd hate to put the modded ECU in and then have the car run like crap

And did/do you have any concerns with MB voiding your factory warranty after your mods???

Sorry for all the frickin' questions
Oldgixxer,

Which mods are you planning on doing? Please don't do just the ecu, if you want to feel any difference and actually realize any difference at the wheels you must do AT LEAST the ecu and pulley.

The Kleemann tune will be amazing for you. As long as you use an ecu program that is made for the type of mod you're doing then you'll realize similiar gains. Technically the pulley that is used on my car is slightly bigger than the Kleemann pulley, yet I still used their ecu tuning and it made a huge improvement. It's still not perfect since I'm putting in more boost than what the Kleemann program probably expects, but the people at Kleemann have developed such a great tuning program that it still unlocked the potential in the car. For example, if you used the Kleemann ecu with their pulley then your a/f ratios will probably be better tuned than mine (see my top 2 graphs at the beginning of this post). At the end of the day, I don't think you need to worry about your ecu not working right if you use someone like Kleemann.

I'm not too concerned about MB voiding the warranty. Of course I haven't had to have a hard conversation with them about it yet and will probably need to as I have a regular maintenance window coming up in about 2-3 miles.

Not a problem asking questions the questions. That what this forum is for and it's helped me so much.

Take care,

Darren
Old 06-26-2005, 10:00 AM

'06 M5
tommaey,

Both graphs at the top of this post are from my dyno pulls after the Kleemann ecu has been reprogrammed.

The dyno operator on the second run decided to flutter the gas pedal ever so slightly. I think he was trying to play with downshifting points or something. Don't ask me. All the other pulls with the Kleemann are as smooth as glass. That graph is not an indicator of how the Kleemann ecu performs duing operation on my car, except for the final result of 480 rwhp and 500 rwt

Cheers,

Darren