W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Think your dealer is bad.....be thankful.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Think your dealer is bad.....be thankful.

Well I am in for schedule C service and I ask them about the steering wheel wobble. It's obvious rotor warp. They check it out and tell me, "Yup, sure is wobbly.....that will be 470 to replace."

I ask why I am paying for replacing and he tells me it is not a warrantable item. The rotors show no signs of abuse and the car is mint...not beaten. He just tells me it is not covered under warranty.

How the hell can warped rotors which cause a moderate steering wheel wobble NOT be covered. I have read story after story on this forum of dealers replacing them no questions asked.

Actually scares the ***** outta me if there was MAJOR problems with my system due to mods...I bet I would be toast.

Gonna try to probe him a little when I go to pick it up, but don't wanna get to "into it" with him. May need this guy in the future, ya know.

Grrrrrrrrrr........
Old 07-05-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xx
Had the same thing happen on my FX45 at nearly the exact same cost also. They didn't offer to cover it and I didn't think to suggest it. The car did have 25K miles on it.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Received 798 Likes on 497 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Thats one thing I like about BMWNA... warped rotors are covered. Had them on my M5- no charge.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Almost a Member!

02 E55
On "most" new cars the manufacturer will cover brake related parts up to 12K miles (if there are no obvious signs of abuse) although they do not openly advertise the fact since brake pads/rotors are considered to be wearable items. You could ask the SA to call his local zone rep to push the issue or ask if they could "good will" a set of rotors to you. You could always complaint to MBUSA and given the cost of a new E55, I would think that they would bend over backward for you. Now if you have more than 12K miles then you might as well just bend over yourself and grab your ankles.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Ahhhh, that's it. I got 20K. Yup, that's what happened. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:01 PM
MBH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Same exact thing happend to a buddy of mine with a new M3.He had to purchase 2 new rotors at just under a $1,000

Hey it sucks,but what can you do???
MBH
Old 07-05-2005, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Was hearing a squealing noise when I turned the wheel left (without my foot on the brake). Brought it in and they said that due to "excessive heat brought on by high speed driving" my front rotors were cracked and would not be covered under warranty. Cost me $1,000 for pads and rotors. Car had just hit 15,000 miles. Worse part is since then they have squealed like pigs! I told my SA that I was already pissed that I had to pay for the rotors, no way in hell am I listening to them. They "scruffed and cleaned" them to no avail. If anything, they are even noisier. They said they would replace the rotors again at no cost. Gee, you think they could have done that the first time! So, since the parts were not in stock (just hung up with him, they're in) to say I have been beating on these brakes would be an understatement!!!! Several runs to 150, stop, and do it again the last week.

Speaking of which just mentioned to Spero that on occasion I detect a strange smell, like burning rubber or plastic while doing these runs. Actually pulled the car over the other night to open the hood and see if I smelled anything. Also put my face near the brakes to smell those and nearly singed my eye brows off !! Damn these brakes get hot!! didn't smell anything, but was wondering what it might be.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:03 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Just as a service benchmark, our '04 MDX has had front pads & rotors replaced twice, once at 14K miles and again at 26K, all at no charge, and this isn't even the dealer that sold me the car! Free Acura RL loaner, too. Amazing service.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:01 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Ahhhh, that's it. I got 20K. Yup, that's what happened. Thanks for the info.

Maybe it is time to get the EVO OEM rotors if MB is making you pay. Our rotors seem to be all show and no go with what is happening with cars that are not tracked. High speed runs and 1/4 runs several times a year should not cause this type of failure. Why pay to replace with the same "cramp".

Very disappointing to see this in a AMG car which is designed with so much HP & TQ. I am curious if the SL55 rotors are designed the same way as the E55's. I think the SL65's are different.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:10 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
Keep in mind that rotors can reach 900 deg F and that a trip through a puddle or washing the car too soon after driving (should wait 30 min.) can warp them too.

TJC
Old 07-05-2005, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
I think W211 E55 does have some issues w/ brakes. This was one of repeated warranty works that ended up w/ the dealer bought my car back. The steering wheel wobbled, the brake pedal wobbled at 1K miles (yes, it was not even past the break-in period)... they checked the rotors and pads, nothing..... very straight..... checked the mechanical behind it, nothing.... they could not figure it out.... they replaced the entire brakes.... brakes were good for a month and went bad again after 500 miles.... and even worse, the brakes not only made the steering wheel and pedal wobbled but also lost grip.

Dealer did the same check again and this time they were a bit suspicious that I abused the car but found no evidence (I didn't.... not even went to track). I told them it might be the ABS (the pedal wobbled just like when ABS was active) but they did not buy it. Replaced it again and didn't go bad until the dealer bought it back

My W210 E55's brakes are very good.... not as good as W211 when the brakes function properly but they do last quite long (~30K miles).

My W211 was for sure a lemon (brakes, headlights, MAF, stalled, dead power steering, electric seats, COMAND).... not sure with yours. Hope not. Good luck!

Oh BTW, my W211 was '03. 11/02 build date if I remember correctly. So this time, I have to skip W211 or may be no more E55 for me My wife lost her faith to E55. I haven't, at least until now.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Keep in mind that rotors can reach 900 deg F and that a trip through a puddle or washing the car too soon after driving (should wait 30 min.) can warp them too

Yeah true, but this was just from an out of state highway trip. Actually it was my return from Kleemann in Colorado. I was just cruising highway speeds...out here 80-85 is common. (75 speed limit on remote highways) I think what got the brakes so hot was having cruise on and going through the mountains. There are some stretches that run 5-10 miles up and down hills and I bet with the car braking all the time, they got too hot. Still ticks me off though.....as 95% of the piece of ***** cars that took the same trip had NO rotor damage. Just shouldn't have rotor warping after taking a long normal trip, regardless if there are hills or not.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Originally Posted by zoink
I think W211 E55 does have some issues w/ brakes. This was one of repeated warranty works that ended up w/ the dealer bought my car back. The steering wheel wobbled, the brake pedal wobbled at 1K miles (yes, it was not even past the break-in period)... they checked the rotors and pads, nothing..... very straight..... checked the mechanical behind it, nothing.... they could not figure it out.... they replaced the entire brakes.... brakes were good for a month and went bad again after 500 miles.... and even worse, the brakes not only made the steering wheel and pedal wobbled but also lost grip.

Dealer did the same check again and this time they were a bit suspicious that I abused the car but found no evidence (I didn't.... not even went to track). I told them it might be the ABS (the pedal wobbled just like when ABS was active) but they did not buy it. Replaced it again and didn't go bad until the dealer bought it back

My W210 E55's brakes are very good.... not as good as W211 when the brakes function properly but they do last quite long (~30K miles).

My W211 was for sure a lemon (brakes, headlights, MAF, stalled, dead power steering, electric seats, COMAND).... not sure with yours. Hope not. Good luck!

Oh BTW, my W211 was '03. 11/02 build date if I remember correctly. So this time, I have to skip W211 or may be no more E55 for me My wife lost her faith to E55. I haven't, at least until now.
I had the same exact thing with my car.Except it happened on the way home from the dealer & the car had only 22miles on it.It was late at nite when I took delivery& didn't think a test ride was needed,it is after all,an AMG...

Sure enough,I brought the car back the very next day and they actually swapped rotors,calipers&pads from another new E55 that was on the lot.300 miles later the same thing,wobble in the steering wheel & pulsing thru the brake pedal.They re-balanced all 4 wheels.And managed to scratch a wheel to boot.

Now I have 3500 miles and it's starting to act up again.This will be the 3rd time it goes back to the dealer.I really dont want to Lemon Law the car,cause I fuggin' love it,but enough already.$90 large for a car and I gotta put up with this B.S.???

I'm embarassed to even tell anybody this
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Take it easy..... all of my friends laughed at me when they knew that my W211 was lemon Some of them, who are Vette and M5 owners and who were ready to be shot down by the beast, said that the beast chickened out

Well, the good thing was that I had a chance to try the beast for 3 months for free The dealer did try to count in the depreciation until I threaten to take legal actions.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Almost a Member!

02 E55
Cars with multiple brake pistons per caliper are more prone to warped rotors than cars with fewer pots or pistons (that's why your W210 brakes lasted longer than the W211 brakes). The more pistons you have, the harder it is for them to exert the same EXACT force against the pads thus if not all of the pistons are exerting the same pressure against the pads then uneven rotor wears will result which then lead to warped rotors. Multiple pistons allow for larger pads which increase the friction surface area between the pads and the rotors which equal greater braking power but at the expense of the rotors. One way to remedy the situation is to replace the stock rubber brake lines with steel braided lines. These lines do not swell like the stock rubber hoses under pressure thus ensuring all of the pressure goes to the pistons in the caliper. Since brake fluid, like all other fluids, is uncompressible, it will naturally flow to the path of the least resistance. If the brake lines swell under pressure then some of the hydraulic pressure closest to the weak link will go to push against the rubber lines versus the solid brake rotors. If you pull a set of used pads from a multi pistons brake system, you will find more wear on the leading edge of the pads as compared to the trailing edge.

Last edited by sudo4re; 07-05-2005 at 10:30 PM.