Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official information on 6,3 Liter AMG engine released

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 AM
M&M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah JOn, U sure got me in a corner man. That marketing paragraph is great. I'm sure you know that next year the F1 cars go to V8. So now I guess all MErc's V8's are F1 engines.

If you knew anything about engines you would know there is no similarity between a road engine & an F1 engine. Even the SMG they talk about is totally different. The ony similarity is they both have paddles on the steering.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M&M
Yeah JOn, U sure got me in a corner man. That marketing paragraph is great. I'm sure you know that next year the F1 cars go to V8. So now I guess all MErc's V8's are F1 engines.
What are you saying that paragraph is presenting inaccurate information? I would guess they don't put bull**** in an official car brand page like you do in here

I will ask you one more time incase you ignore again, IS THERE F1 TECHNOLOGY IN THE M5's ENGINE?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:08 PM
M&M

Originally Posted by Jon200
I will ask you one more time incase you ignore again, IS THERE F1 TECHNOLOGY IN THE M5's ENGINE?
There's F1 technology in a Hyundai Getz engine as well. What does that mean?

The M5 has a high compression ratio. Yes, they have been doing that long before BMW entered F1. The E30 & E36 M3's had high CR. I don't think high CR is exclusive to F1.

The M5 has a high redline. Yes, once again this has nothing to do with F1. Long before BMW entered F1 the E30 M3's had high redlines.

The VANOS was released in 1992. I don't think F1 cars would benefit from variable cam timing anyway.

I think the links to F1 are more marketing than anthing else, but if yu can point me to some concrete evidence of stuff in an M5 that actually came from an F1 car, maybe I'll change my mind.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Jon200
What are you saying that paragraph is presenting inaccurate information? I would guess they don't put bull**** in an official car brand page like you do in here

Mechanically, the answer the technicians and engineers at BMW will give you is basically no. BMW has learned a lot about electronic engine management, so you could say there is a lot of F1 technology incorporated in the software.

But there is really very little mechanical similarity between the M5 V-10 and an F1 engine.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M&M
There's F1 technology in a Hyundai Getz engine as well. What does that mean?

The M5 has a high compression ratio. Yes, they have been doing that long before BMW entered F1. The E30 & E36 M3's had high CR. I don't think high CR is exclusive to F1.

The M5 has a high redline. Yes, once again this has nothing to do with F1. Long before BMW entered F1 the E30 M3's had high redlines.

The VANOS was released in 1992. I don't think F1 cars would benefit from variable cam timing anyway.

I think the links to F1 are more marketing than anthing else, but if yu can point me to some concrete evidence of stuff in an M5 that actually came from an F1 car, maybe I'll change my mind.
Is there F1 technology in the M5's engine M&M? You have written a whole paragraph but never answered my question.

As with the Hyundai Getz, what an appropriate car to add to the M5 vs E55 argument If there is F1 technology in the Hydundai Getz, please point them, I might have missed something there.

I know its not fair to compare a 5 speed to a 7 speed, but it's also not fair to compare a 5.5 L supercharged engine to a 5.0 NA one. But such is life.
You seem to think it is unfair to compare the two engines because one has a supercharger and the other doesn't but you have forgotten to mention the other is no ordinary NA engine. It doesn't bother a lot of people how outputs are achieved.

I cannot provide concrete evidence that stuff in the M5 came from F1. How can the M5's engine be mechanically the same as that of the F1 when one is a road car and the other is a race car? Never said they were mechanically similar but technology wise, there is similarity.

Just for argument sake, Nismo are producing 20 hardcore R34 GT-Rs with 2.8L bottom end and reworked twin turbos, it will have 500 plus hp roughly the same as the M5. A local magazine had put this hardcord GT-R as the same category as the M5, there might be a comparo coming up. Can the journalist say it is not fair because the GT-R has twin turbo ?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:19 AM
M&M

Inn 1996 BMW released the E36 M3 Evo 3.2. The euro spec made 321hp from 3.2l. That's 100hp/litre. BMW weren't in F1 at at stage.

In 2000 The E46 M3 was released. Also over 100hp/litre with an 8000rpm redline. BMW weren't in F1 yet.

I honestly cannot think of anything in the M5 engine that was derived from F1. The new magnesium crankcase for example, has nothing to do with F1.

Aluminium in the suspesion was also around for a while (Audi A8 was the 1s car I think).

I dunno', maybe I'm dumb. It just seems like a high revving V10 with good tuning to me.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Isn't this a Mercedes Forum?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new AMG V8

If there is any race technology in the new engine derived from any race series, it will be from the German Touring Car championship (DTM) where Mercedes has been successfully racing with V8 powered cars for years.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:46 AM

i know the new engibe has a little more HP, but with that much less tq i wonder if it will any faster then the current 5.5l s/c

here is an article from germancarfans.com
Old 07-12-2005, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
The moderators have decided that the right thing to do is to give trolls free reign here, and basically let them set the tone. In no other moderated forum, even BMW forums, are they allowed to continually troll like they are here.

I wonder what our sponsors think of this? Do they know? Perhaps some of us should start emailing them and complaining, since the mods seem to think that letting teenage kids and trolls have the run of the place makes it better.

I'm so fed up with it that I'm seriously entertaining the notion of abandoning this hole. If the moderators want this to become a daily slugfest, where most posts consist of BMW guys telling us how great their cars are and how much ours suck, fine....I come here to discuss Mercedes, but lately it seems as though I'm spending all of my time countering the lies that these guys regularly inflict to sell more BMWs, and it is getting tiresome.

It doesn't have to be this way, but our moderators are a joke.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:11 PM

2012 C63 Black Series Coupe
Not this thread, which has become a p*ssing contest...
Old 07-13-2005, 09:44 AM

E500
New AMG 6.3 Liter V8 Engine - In Detail

The engine weighs only 199kg!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 AM

E500
Some nice pics:-

Engine in dyno testing:-

Engine cover:-

Engine transparency:-

Engine componentry from different angles:-

Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good question, have a look in other threads in the E55 forum, you will fine information on Viper, M5, M6, all sorts of things
Old 07-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Improviz
The moderators have decided that the right thing to do is to give trolls free reign here, and basically let them set the tone. In no other moderated forum, even BMW forums, are they allowed to continually troll like they are here.

I wonder what our sponsors think of this? Do they know? Perhaps some of us should start emailing them and complaining, since the mods seem to think that letting teenage kids and trolls have the run of the place makes it better.

I'm so fed up with it that I'm seriously entertaining the notion of abandoning this hole. If the moderators want this to become a daily slugfest, where most posts consist of BMW guys telling us how great their cars are and how much ours suck, fine....I come here to discuss Mercedes, but lately it seems as though I'm spending all of my time countering the lies that these guys regularly inflict to sell more BMWs, and it is getting tiresome.

jack offs like m&m getting under your skin shows you he is winning and YOURE letting him!!! thank god our mods treat us like adults and mostly allow self moderation. just ignore him, its easy to do and it works. enjoy your posts impro!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by slytoksy
New AMG 6.3 Liter V8 Engine - In Detail

The engine weighs only 199kg!!!
what does the current 5.5l weigh?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55

Man O Man.....yes we are adults. We can moderate ourselve to a degree. Have you ever heard of the ignore button? Funny how Trolls never seem to bother me. I find the info I want here no problem.....I don't worry about other people's posts. Maybe you need to lighten up or grow up. Sorry to be so harsh but your constant complaining is giving me a headache.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow man those are some WICKED cool pictures!

199kg = 438.719902 pounds
Old 07-13-2005, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Lov2xlr8
what does the current 5.5l weigh?
The current supercharged 5.5 weighs 485 pounds.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
I like what I see and read so far.....Hoping that the gearing will allow it to far surpass what we have now in the 5.5 SC engines. I would think MB engineers would have this all mapped out and we will be very surprised to see what this new design does. If it is only marginally faster, I will be shocked, and wait for a TT version, or go with a different MB platform that has 600 or so HP.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Man O Man.....yes we are adults. We can moderate ourselve to a degree. Have you ever heard of the ignore button? Funny how Trolls never seem to bother me. I find the info I want here no problem.....I don't worry about other people's posts. Maybe you need to lighten up or grow up. Sorry to be so harsh but your constant complaining is giving me a headache.

That's OK: your constant immaturity and stupid commentary makes me want to puke. I know that immature idiots like yourself have no problem with sixteen year old kids and people who hate Mercedes products dominating the forum, but to me that's just another illustration of why siblings shouldn't marry.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weight

Originally Posted by MarcusF
The current supercharged 5.5 weighs 485 pounds.
The new 6,3 V8 weighs about 438,7 pounds without fluids.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
This is getting better by the minute. At first when the engine was announced, it seemed like it was weak. Certainly not what I had expected.
But now that I hear more and more, that the tranmission should be able to compliment the engine enough so that it'll be faster in a straight line then the 5.4LS/C and it's lighter therfore better handling, it just makes me jump in joy!

Weight is the number 1 enemy, and I'm glad that weight has been drastically reduced! Does anyone know how they did it?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal

Weight is the number 1 enemy, and I'm glad that weight has been drastically reduced! Does anyone know how they did it?
I am guessing lighter moving parts, not sure though, the use of magnesium also helped weight reduction
Old 07-14-2005, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
That's OK: your constant immaturity and stupid commentary makes me want to puke. I know that immature idiots like yourself have no problem with sixteen year old kids and people who hate Mercedes products dominating the forum, but to me that's just another illustration of why siblings shouldn't marry.

Damn....and I thought we were getting along so nicely!!