W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and exhaust will put new N/A at 580hp...not too shabby.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Headers and exhaust will put new N/A at 580hp...not too shabby.

Article translated German to English......it's a bit rough.

***note the highlighted part below....so we know now that we will put out 580hp with freeflow exhaust...heh, this is gettinnn goooood. **** Let's see...freeflow exhaust....ECU mod....Kleemann blower....oops, did I just put out 700hp....crap sorry bout that.

Le Castellet (rpo). Auf the IAA in Frankfurt in September expects Mercedes fan more neuer Hingucker, that might remain probably for the very most an exorbitant dream. The Mercedes Haustuner AMG presents a new engine for future high speed vehicles. According to AMG data it becomes the strongest standard eight-cylinder of the world. That announced AMG now in Le Castellet in France. According to manufacturer the V8-Motor combines a high speed concept with an above average large capacity as world-wide the first engine and draws therefore without loading from 6,3 litres capacity 375 kW/510 HP.

Thus the aggregate developed with AMG in self-direction is according to enterprise data the world-wide strongest standard eight-cylinder suction engine. In addition offer the machine with maximally 630 Newtonmeters approximately 20 per cent more torques than comparable suction engines of this performance class. Technically AMG for the engine in racing, manufactured from aluminum, availed itself.

The final touch

At present the new engine receives its final touch according to AMG in a reequipped test platform on basis of the CLK DTM. There it carries even 427 kW/580 out HP because of another exhaust system. The aggregate is to give the beginning in a standard model however with the announced 375 kW/510 HP on the IAA the m-class new in a AMG version.

A little later the engine is to be used after information from the enterprise also in the next generation of the s-class as well as in new R class. In addition the 6,3-Liter-Motor is to hold for cared for series introduction also in the others from AMG. A time long it is to be used in some series parallel to the past 5,5-Liter-V8, be replaced medium-term this engine however.
Attached Thumbnails Headers and exhaust will put new N/A at 580hp...not too shabby.-1sja132442ccf51f0aa2.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
intresting 70 hp from an exhaust system.... sounds fishy to me...
Old 07-12-2005, 12:59 PM

ML 320 CDI
No way you can get 70 HP with just an exhaust system....
Old 07-12-2005, 03:34 PM

2012 C63 Black Series Coupe
JakPro1 -- Could you post a link to the original story in German? I speak the language and the translation you posted sounds pretty poor. I understand that's what you get with the computer translators given that they don't understand context.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:56 PM

G500,toyota supra, 67corvette,05 pathfinder
70hp? he said from a NA!

only way you pick up 70hp from a exhaust is on a turbo car.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Here is the link to the original story...thanks for any help on translation.

http://www.rp-online.de/public/article/themenwelt/auto/aktuell/97123
Old 07-12-2005, 04:02 PM

I want to read the original article in German. It could be that the 70hp gain comes from modifications to the intake and exhaust -- that would be my bet given the size of the gain.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
70hp? he said from a NA!

only way you pick up 70hp from a exhaust is on a turbo car.

In this case, it’s easy to guess that the stout small-block fizzled with this much restriction on the exhaust side. Test 4 revealed how much headers are worth on a well-prepared engine by pulling out an impressive 68 lb-ft of torque improvement at 5,200 rpm (338 versus 406) that is equivalent to a mild nitrous hit in terms of pure torque. Peak-horsepower improvements were actually even more impressive with a 70hp gain at 6,200 rpm. We did the math and came up with a staggering average increase of 46 lb-ft of torque. That means that throughout the entire 4,000-rpm band from 2,600 to 6,600 rpm, the engine made 46 lb-ft of torque more with the headers at every single data point.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/49178/

Old 07-12-2005, 06:12 PM
M&M

Wow! Comparing a pushrod small-block Chev engine to the latest Merc one. One that has:

- 11.3 compression
- Variable valve timing
- 100NM/litre torque NA
- Bucket tappets
- Variable intake manifold
- Vertical air ducts (intake & exhaust ducting for better airflow).

AMg are in a war with BMW. MArketing is big. But they leave 70hp lying around? With 510hp, the E63 will struggle to beat the E55 if it's weight goes up as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

70hp from the exhaust only? that is a tall order for NA
Old 07-12-2005, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M&M
Wow!
the E63 will struggle to beat the E55 if it's weight goes up as well.
why is that?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Wow! Comparing a pushrod small-block Chev engine to the latest Merc one. One that has:
The point has been made over and over that there is NO way for an N/A motor to make that big an hp difference with mods.....obviously, that was proved false with those tests on the dyno.

Unless the fine German gentlemen was lying to us on his article, the AMG tester car was boosted the same amount with open exhaust. Of course AMG tester ran race exhaust, but still, it is possible.

Why would Merc have not run the motors more lean on the blown motors pushing them over 500hp, why would they not open up the exhaust on the blown motors pushing them over 550hp......simple, we all know it reduces reliability. These forums would be full of people crying.....my 650hp motor had more problems this week....boo hoo.

The car will still be the most powerful N/A and more reliable. Plus it leaves room for Merc to do their famous "power has been boosted 15% over last year" for years to come.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:27 PM

Another translation: hope this helps!

Hope this helps; though my German is a bit rusty I think this is true to the intent of the article. I assume the reference to the power increase on the development mule refers to straight pipes without any catalysts or mufflers, and they're probably using pipes the size of coffee cans to boot. I think the increased HP is well within what's possible for this type of "track use only" modifications...

Mercedes: AMG reveals most powerful eight-cylinder in the world
Le Castellet, France

Mercedes fans are expecting to see a new standard of excellence at Frankfurt’s International Automobile Exposition, one that might remain an exorbitant dream for many. The Mercedes factory tuner AMG will unveil a new engine for its’ future high-performance vehicles at the September show. According to AMG data this engine is the strongest standard eight-cylinder in the world. The new V-8 engine combines -- for the first time ever – a high-revving design with large displacement, producing 375 kW/510 HP from 6.3 liters.

The final product – developed entirely in-house by AMG – is the world’s most powerful normally aspirated engine. In addition to its’ high specific output the engine produces 630 NM of torque, approximately 20 percent more than comparable normally-aspirated engines of this performance class. AMG utilized its’ technical expertise from racing for the engine’s aluminum design.

According to AMG, the new engine is currently undergoing final development using a CLK/DTM as a test mule. In this guise specific output is increased to 427 kW/580 HP because of modifications to the exhaust system on the development vehicle.

The final production motor – to be displayed at Frankfurt in a new AMG version of the Mercedes M-Class – has a final output of 375 kW/510 HP. After it’s introduction in the M-Class the new engine will be used in the next generation of the S-Class, as well as in the new R-Class.

Eventually, the 6.3 liter engine will be progressively introduced in other AMG models. It is expected to be phased into production in the same models that have used the 5.5 liter V-8, eventually replacing that engine at some point down the road.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by brt3
Hope this helps; though my German is a bit rusty I think this is true to the intent of the article. I assume the reference to the power increase on the development mule refers to straight pipes without any catalysts or mufflers, and they're probably using pipes the size of coffee cans to boot. I think the increased HP is well within what's possible for this type of "track use only" modifications...

Mercedes: AMG reveals most powerful eight-cylinder in the world
Le Castellet, France

Mercedes fans are expecting to see a new standard of excellence at Frankfurt’s International Automobile Exposition, one that might remain an exorbitant dream for many. The Mercedes factory tuner AMG will unveil a new engine for its’ future high-performance vehicles at the September show. According to AMG data this engine is the strongest standard eight-cylinder in the world. The new V-8 engine combines -- for the first time ever – a high-revving design with large displacement, producing 375 kW/510 HP from 6.3 liters.

The final product – developed entirely in-house by AMG – is the world’s most powerful normally aspirated engine. In addition to its’ high specific output the engine produces 630 NM of torque, approximately 20 percent more than comparable normally-aspirated engines of this performance class. AMG utilized its’ technical expertise from racing for the engine’s aluminum design.

According to AMG, the new engine is currently undergoing final development using a CLK/DTM as a test mule. In this guise specific output is increased to 427 kW/580 HP because of modifications to the exhaust system on the development vehicle.

The final production motor – to be displayed at Frankfurt in a new AMG version of the Mercedes M-Class – has a final output of 375 kW/510 HP. After it’s introduction in the M-Class the new engine will be used in the next generation of the S-Class, as well as in the new R-Class.

Eventually, the 6.3 liter engine will be progressively introduced in other AMG models. It is expected to be phased into production in the same models that have used the 5.5 liter V-8, eventually replacing that engine at some point down the road.
thanks for that
Old 07-13-2005, 06:05 AM
M&M

Jakpro, if I'm wrong then so be it. I had the same discussion with the M5 guys that said they can get 600hp with chip, exhaust & intake.

I'd love to believe that but I've been in the game too long. Maybe an engine designed in the 60's can get those gains. But an engine that has headers stock, mutivalve heads, & is finely tuned I don't buy that 70hp gain. And this is not ant-AMG. If a BMW guys told me that I would say the same thing.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
I think it quite possible...if Headers + Sports Cats + down pipe + freeflowing rear mufflers complement by good ECU program...

E39 M5 gets 50-60 HP from full exhausts system + ECU...
Old 07-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
I think it quite possible...if Headers + Sports Cats + down pipe + freeflowing rear mufflers complement by good ECU program...

I doubt it on the E60 M5. The long tubes they already use are fantastic.
I'm also speculating on the fact that there are almost zilch aftermarket companies that make headers for the 4.5L engines currently for BMW. 745Li/i and the X5 4.4i.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M5 RUS

Agreed. I have read in EVO that Pagani had tweaked the current 7.3L V12 AMG engine and got an extra ~60hp (can't remember the exact number) from headers, full exhaust and ECU and the 7.3L unit is relatively old (no VVT..etc etc). It is possible that headers, exhaust and ECU will see some significant gain from the new 6.3L V8

like you said, it depends on the state of tune
Old 07-13-2005, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I doubt it on the E60 M5. The long tubes they already use are fantastic.
I'm also speculating on the fact that there are almost zilch aftermarket companies that make headers for the 4.5L engines currently for BMW. 745Li/i and the X5 4.4i.
is it possible to have the headers custom made? I am taking $ our of the equation though :p
Old 07-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon200
is it possible to have the headers custom made? I am taking $ our of the equation though :p
Of course you can have almost anything custom made! That's what the Lexus guys have been doing for the last few years. They've actually been planning out a set of custom heads for almost two years and just now are they finally getting the product ready for installation!

Not only do you need money, you'll need a lot of time as well. I say call Evosport @ 888.520.9971 right when the new cars come out with that engine, and I bet they'll have something for it. Just like the Evolution power packages they have for the 55's!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Of course as soon as 6.3L hits our shores will start developing products for it. How much power will they be worth will remain to be seen.

On 7.3L V12, Pagani made a new intake manifold, which was a known bottleneck going back to the 80s. It is very good, strong egine with a lot of power still hidden in common hot rodding tricks.