W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

E55 1, M5 0.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2005 | 02:06 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by termigni
that's what you get when you try to mess with MERCEDES BENZ!

Actually, that's what you get when trusting your car to an in-experienced E55 driver.

I guess the E55 driver was so pissed off with M5's ability decided to end that car's life on the spot.

quickest way to beat the competition is to drive it into center divider.
Old 07-19-2005 | 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Or.... to tell the other half of the story (or possibility).... the M5 was so hyped that the E55 driver was surprised that he lost control doing typical maneuvers that an E55 could handle very well.

For me, it's hard to believe that if M5 is a better handling car, a driver who's used to E55 could lose control.... I would expect he would be way too careful driving an M5 as he wouldn't dare to do any maneuvers that he knows an E55 couldn't do. Unless the driver is indeed in-experienced at all w/ any car

Moral of the story:
W/o the actual driver giving any comments, I think anything would be possible, like there was some oil on the road that made the M5 spin.... or he avoided collission w/ a rustang
Old 07-19-2005 | 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Perhaps the car had all it's electronic gizmo's off?

There's a lot in the Mercedes that saves our *** which can be disabled on the M5.
Old 07-19-2005 | 02:35 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by zoink
Or.... to tell the other half of the story (or possibility).... the M5 was so hyped that the E55 driver was surprised that he lost control doing typical maneuvers that an E55 could handle very well.

For me, it's hard to believe that if M5 is a better handling car, a driver who's used to E55 could lose control.... I would expect he would be way too careful driving an M5 as he wouldn't dare to do any maneuvers that he knows an E55 couldn't do. Unless the driver is indeed in-experienced at all w/ any car

Moral of the story:
W/o the actual driver giving any comments, I think anything would be possible, like there was some oil on the road that made the M5 spin.... or he avoided collission w/ a rustang
Well, I can fill in the blank for you on what exactly happened. Taiwan is not a big country and people do know each other.

The accident occured in Taichung. If anyone has been to taiwan should know that the road is not as smooth as some of the better roads in US. The quality of road is not that good, but not as bad as Cali/New york city/detroit...

The road is not smooth and speed limit i believe is a mere 60km/hr.

Simply put M5 allows a lot of freedom not avaliable on the E55. In addition, that M5's tire is already well broken in ( ). The e55 owners has the luxury of ESP to save his a$$ when push to the limit. This is not the case with M5.

It's easier to drive the E55 than it is to drive the M5. Two different car for different style. That owner was simply not ready and thought that DSC would cut in and help out when needed.
Old 07-19-2005 | 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
krispykrme, this isn't an E55 vs. M5 thread that you always like to get in on and complain about the E55 (which sadly, you own). This is just to show pics of the accident, that's it. You don't need to get on here and try to convince us that the reason this accident happened is because this guy drove an E55, that's just plain stupid. Fast cars are just that, fast. They can get away from you in a split second. To think the reason why this car was crashed is because the guy drives an E55 is just absurd.

Quotes like this make you sounds like an ignorant fool:

Originally Posted by krispykrme
Just to show you that particular E55 driver is not capable of driving the M5. Stupid to fly down city roads especially for driver that is accustomed to E55 style of driving.
Actually, that's what you get when trusting your car to an in-experienced E55 driver.

I guess the E55 driver was so pissed off with M5's ability decided to end that car's life on the spot.

quickest way to beat the competition is to drive it into center divider.

Last edited by MBAMGPWR; 07-19-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:11 PM

E63, GT500
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
krispykrme, this isn't an E55 vs. M5 thread that you always like to get in on and complain about the E55 (which sadly, you own). This is just to show pics of the accident, that's it. You don't need to get on here and try to convince us that the reason this accident happened is because this guy drove an E55, that's just plain stupid. Fast cars are just that, fast. They can get away from you in a split second. To think the reason why this car was crashed is because the guy drives an E55 is just absurd.

Amen to that brotha.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:31 PM

2008 E63
Hey Guys, are any of you really thankful that you have the ESP? I certainly know that I'm such an inexperienced driver that if I were to drive the mighty M5 it would be too much for me! Give me a break krispykrme, if somebody is driving a 500HP car and expects the car to bail him/her out they don't belong behind the wheel. Sounds like there's more to this story than just an "inexperienced" E55 driver.
Old 07-19-2005 | 03:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

I think whoever was driving the M5 on a road that can't support higher speeds is a fool. Regardless of what car he preferences or whatever.

A road that is normally set for what.. 40mph or so (60kmph) and he's going fast enough for the tail to break lose and roll? That guy should've been at a track, or a better road (prefer the former).

At least he got out alive to tell about it eh?
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You would think that he would be a bit more tame coming from an E to the M. Weird.

M5
Silver Gray with the gray extended leather interior
Comfort Access (Our keyless go)
Shades
Ventilated Seats
Headsup Display
Sirius
Alcantra Headliner
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Krispykrme, man.... you didn't feel the blank at all.... I'm honestly a bit confused w/ your response. Doesn't seem to be well-thought. Or may be I'm slow.... who knows.

Well, I can fill in the blank for you on what exactly happened. Taiwan is not a big country and people do know each other.
Err.... how is this relevant to what we're talking?

The accident occured in Taichung. If anyone has been to taiwan should know that the road is not as smooth as some of the better roads in US. The quality of road is not that good, but not as bad as Cali/New york city/detroit...

The road is not smooth and speed limit i believe is a mere 60km/hr.
Where do you live? Cali (a.k.a California) isn't it? So how come do you dare to order an M5 and drive it in Cali as you think the road in your place is even worse than in Taiwan, rite?

Simply put M5 allows a lot of freedom not avaliable on the E55. In addition, that M5's tire is already well broken in ( ). The e55 owners has the luxury of ESP to save his a$$ when push to the limit. This is not the case with M5.

It's easier to drive the E55 than it is to drive the M5. Two different car for different style. That owner was simply not ready and thought that DSC would cut in and help out when needed.
Once again Easier to drive E55.... but E55 is a worse handling car.... I tend to agree w/ the 2nd one... but that should lead to "easier to drive M5". And I'm talking about average driver.....

Once again.... doesn't mean to raise an argument.... but just want to see how come you claimed to fill my blanks.

Anyway, I don't need anyone to fill my blanks..... I think it's hard to know what caused the accident.... may be the driver, may be the car, may be both, may be not both..... thus, I think it would be very premature to judge it's because of the driver (unless you know him personally - then, you could get a better sense) and it would be even more premature to judge not only b/c of the driver but also b/c he's an E55 driver.
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
You would think that he would be a bit more tame coming from an E to the M. Weird.

M5
Shades
Ventilated Seats
Headsup Display
Sirius
Alcantra Headliner
You can tell the dude is an arrogant *****. Oh well, you have those kinda guys who just flap their mouths and don't think before they type.

Your M-car sounds very nice, can't wait to see some pics. I think you may be the first person in the US to do an E55 vs. M5 test without quoting crap from a magazine. I'm definetly looking forward to it!
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:29 PM

W203 C240
more pics please cause i still cant tell something happened to the car...maybe add another 20... but i might add glad things ok with the occupants
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:29 PM

04 E55
If it's for a magazine review, should they hire like pro drivers to test drive reviewed cars, especially ones that don't have insurance?
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:35 PM

2008 E63
Originally Posted by houston
If it's for a magazine review, should they hire like pro drivers to test drive reviewed cars, especially ones that don't have insurance?
Didn't you know according to krispykrme even pro drivers will turn to idiots because they are driving an E55? All of us MBAMG drivers rely on the ESP for our ability. LOL
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Originally Posted by AMGcrazy
Didn't you know according to krispykrme even pro drivers will turn to idiots because they are driving an E55? All of us MBAMG drivers rely on the ESP for our ability. LOL
Exactly! That's why I just installed ESP in my Viper. I just couldn't get around in it on the street because I'm an E55 driver. Now that I have ESP in my Viper, it's easier then ever! Woo hoo! I think I may put ESP on my riding lawnmower, it's a bit too much for me. Sometimes, I think the grass may be a bit too wet and I just can't cut the grass without enough traction. :p
Old 07-19-2005 | 04:57 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR

I have said many times. I actually know how this accident took place and when.

This is exactly what happened. The driver was not experienced enough to know that there is no ultra sensitive ESP to bail him out.

I said it clearly that particular driver was stupid and not experienced enough to hurl M5 down the city street.

There is a fundemental difference between the way these 2 car drives. That E55 driver was expecting that he would be bail out and simply did not happen as he intended.

Period.

Last edited by krispykrme; 07-19-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2005 | 05:01 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by houston
Couple of things.

1. It was for a magazine review, but the driver that crashed the car is not the magazine test driver.

2. In taiwan, the insurance is on the car itself not the driver. The car just passed inspection in taiwan and does not even have normal tags yet (hence no insurance).
Old 07-19-2005 | 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Weird.... from the damage, it looks like the impacts were on both sides.... but how come the side air bags did not deploy (instead the front deployed)??
Good point there.

I do remember reading that the new 5 has never been particularly strong in side impact tests, after lots of upgrades and retests, they only managed to raise it from an ENCAP 3-star to 4-star, while its direct competitors such as the E-class, Saab 9-5, Volvo S80, etc. all got 5-star ratings first time around?

Will be interesting to hear from the passengers, they all did pretty well considering the roll over, I bet they all buckled up.

Last edited by W210; 07-19-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2005 | 06:04 PM

04 E55
Krispykrme, man.... you didn't feel the blank at all.... I'm honestly a bit confused w/ your response. Doesn't seem to be well-thought. Or may be I'm slow.... who knows.

Err.... how is this relevant to what we're talking?
I stated it very clearly. Taiwan is a very small place and people know each other. I am from Taiwan originally and still frequent there. I do have inside information on what have happened that night (over the weekend).

Where do you live? Cali (a.k.a California) isn't it? So how come do you dare to order an M5 and drive it in Cali as you think the road in your place is even worse than in Taiwan, rite?
Some of the road in cali are bad, such as LA. Bay area other than 680, since to be okay. And city street is quiet good as compare to taiwan.

Once again Easier to drive E55.... but E55 is a worse handling car.... I tend to agree w/ the 2nd one... but that should lead to "easier to drive M5". And I'm talking about average driver.....
Why? M5 is not as easy to drive to get potential out. That E55 driver was accustom to the way that E55 handled and ESP cut in. He was not prepared to the M5, hence it is difficult for him to drive the M5.

I would probably have the same issue climbing back into the E60 M5 with over a year absence from last M car.

E55 handling characteristics is vastly different from my E39 M5 and E46 M3. The brake feedback is also different not to mention the agressive ESP. That's why it is more difficult to drive the M5.

Anyway, I don't need anyone to fill my blanks..... I think it's hard to know what caused the accident.... may be the driver, may be the car, may be both, may be not both..... thus, I think it would be very premature to judge it's because of the driver (unless you know him personally - then, you could get a better sense) and it would be even more premature to judge not only b/c of the driver but also b/c he's an E55 driver.

Like i said, that circle in taiwan is very small. I don't know the driver personally (but I think i may have met him couple time before). But we do have mutual friend in that circle that was at that photo shoot that night.
Old 07-19-2005 | 06:39 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU

M5
Shades
Ventilated Seats
Headsup Display
Sirius
Alcantra Headliner
Nice choice of color.

your car and my car will be identical except minor option differences.

I decided against M-multi function seat and ventilated seat as they would add additional weight to the car. Plus I don't use ventilated seat that much here in bay area.

You will probably get your car before mine being in the east coast. I will most likely wait until november to get mine.
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It has the multi-function seats as well. The silvergray is the same color I had in my M3. If anyone gets a US model by November then I'll be surprised. It won't come close to my E in speed but should be a fun car for a while.
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
I have to agree with Krispy on this one. Taiwan is a very small place and everyone knows each other. I happen to eat at a Chinese restaurant here in south FL whose owner is from Taichung. He was telling me last week about his third cousin who lives next to a lady who is dating a photographer for a car magazine who is out on disability. The guy who replaced him was supposed to do a photoshoot of an E55/M5 comparison but the M5 flipped out of control after some Cadillac Deville driver turned E55 owner took over behind the wheel. The last words he was heard uttering before losing control was "This car is awesome!!! I'm gonna get one for the street and one for the track. Hey, are there any donut shops here in Taiwan, I'm kinda hungry."
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
For the record, I think the car actually looks nicer after the accident than before.
Old 07-20-2005 | 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

glad to hear the driver came out unharmed, shame to see such a machine crashed
Old 07-20-2005 | 01:48 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Hey, are there any donut shops here in Taiwan, I'm kinda hungry."
As official sponsor of donut in the world. I can tell you that donut scene in taiwan blows.

They have japanese donut chain in taiwan (i think it is called Mr. Donut). Taste of it can be compare to any toyota product, plain and boring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: E55 1, M5 0.