Sponsored by:

E55 1, M5 0.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
It has the multi-function seats as well. The silvergray is the same color I had in my M3. If anyone gets a US model by November then I'll be surprised. It won't come close to my E in speed but should be a fun car for a while.
Who knows when the car will arrive. So far what I have heard that they can configure the car already on the dealer system. I would think that allocation would be given in the august. My dealer is not a big dealer in oregon, so i don't know when their 1st slot will be allocated. I just put in my order spec and hope for the best.

I still think you would get the car at least several week before mine arrives.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by krispykrme
Who knows when the car will arrive. So far what I have heard that they can configure the car already on the dealer system. I would think that allocation would be given in the august. My dealer is not a big dealer in oregon, so i don't know when their 1st slot will be allocated. I just put in my order spec and hope for the best.

didn't your dealer give you the build date of your car after you spec the car?

mine did (in Canada though).
Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by tifosi
didn't your dealer give you the build date of your car after you spec the car?

mine did (in Canada though).
You guys are lucky. Allocation has not been set for US car yet. But we should have a build date in about 2 weeks.

so still waiting. I am just happy that the dealer can configure the car now on their systems.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart

WHY ARE YOU BUYING A CAR FROM OREGON? trying to duck the sales tax?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:22 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
WHY ARE YOU BUYING A CAR FROM OREGON? trying to duck the sales tax?
No. In order to duck sales tax i need to establish a residence in oregon. which I have no intention of doing.

I got this slot through a friend of mine that has good connection at delon BMW. simple as that.

I ain't paying a dime over MSRP to the dealer.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I won't have a production number for a month. I'm buying mine all the way up in NY cause it'll be 2 years before Tallahassee gets one.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:43 PM

04 E55
I won't have a production number for a month. I'm buying mine all the way up in NY cause it'll be 2 years before Tallahassee gets one.
you may want to check your dealer. I was told that if your car is going to be build in september allocation, build number should be available some time next week or the week after that.

My dealer is stating since their dealership is small, their 1st allocation will be most likely october build.

But then again it beats buying in CA, where every single dealer wants at least $25k above MSRP.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny how the new M5 is barely even out and we've already seen pictures from at least 3 different incidents that the car has been completely totaled (german race track, that navy blue one [I forgot where], and here in Taiwan). Now this doesn't necessarily say anything bad about the car...maybe its just faster than everyone expects. What I don't understand is how it does not have an electronic stability program Sure, BMW's have incredible handling but not to the point where a 500+hp car does not need a safety program in case of a skid. And as far as the driver argument goes, who knows what happened - but I know one thing for sure: ANY E55 driver behind the wheel of an M5 would initally drive with much more caution having been accustomed to a much more sluggish car. And whats all that about "The driver expected the very sensitive ESP to kick in and end the skid"? Any driver who drives so wrecklessly to the point where an accident like this one would happen without ESP clearly does not belong in such a high-power car. Drivers don't typically lay their lives in the hands of an ESP. Plus, even if this car had a stability program, it wouldn't have helped. The amount of momentum necessary to flip a 3,500lb car 3 and a half times and then wrap it around a pole is a liiittttllee more than an ESP can correct. Theres more to this story than we're being told.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The car does have DSC. It's ESP but with a different name.

You can turn it totally off though.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thought so. Thanks for the clarification. Now how do we know that it was off at the time of the accident?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
Funny how the new M5 is barely even out and we've already seen pictures from at least 3 different incidents that the car has been completely totaled (german race track, that navy blue one [I forgot where], and here in Taiwan). Now this doesn't necessarily say anything bad about the car...maybe its just faster than everyone expects. What I don't understand is how it does not have an electronic stability program Sure, BMW's have incredible handling but not to the point where a 500+hp car does not need a safety program in case of a skid. And as far as the driver argument goes, who knows what happened - but I know one thing for sure: ANY E55 driver behind the wheel of an M5 would initally drive with much more caution having been accustomed to a much more sluggish car. And whats all that about "The driver expected the very sensitive ESP to kick in and end the skid"? Any driver who drives so wrecklessly to the point where an accident like this one would happen without ESP clearly does not belong in such a high-power car. Drivers don't typically lay their lives in the hands of an ESP. Plus, even if this car had a stability program, it wouldn't have helped. The amount of momentum necessary to flip a 3,500lb car 3 and a half times and then wrap it around a pole is a liiittttllee more than an ESP can correct. Theres more to this story than we're being told.
I don't know how many times I need to explain this.

The car did not flip because of excessive speed. It flipped because the car hit the center divider and flipped because of that ( took out two trees in the process).

BMW DSC on the M5 under the M-mode will allow the car to go side way like you are doing a power slide (i.e. almost complete off, it will still intervene eventually) . This is not doable in the E55 because ESP at just minor upset of chassis (or loss of traction) will cut power immediately.

The guy took the corner to fast, the M5 is doing a drift through the corner, the drift went too wide, clipped the center divider, and become airborne.

If anybody went to taiwan before, they should know that the center divider is made of concrete, dirt with big tree planted in the middle. The car flipped, kill the 1st tree, than flipped 3 more time and killed another tree, and rested against the last tree).

It was off, the E55 driver was in m-mode. Never knew what hit him until too late. The reason i knew, it simply because one of my buddy was at that photo shoot when this happened.

Also, what did not help, that the CSC2 on this car is already well broken in.

Simply put, a in-experience E55 driver that thought the car would behave the same, but it simply did not.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:38 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
Mebbe the thread should be moved to "Kill Stories" under 'Trees'???

TJC
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hahahahahhaha!
I raced four trees today!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by tjcMBE55AMG

TJC
lol...
Old 07-21-2005, 03:40 AM

04 E55
And as far as the driver argument goes, who knows what happened - but I know one thing for sure: ANY E55 driver behind the wheel of an M5 would initally drive with much more caution having been accustomed to a much more sluggish car.

Every car I drive that's not mind, I limit myself til I get more of a better feeling and control of the other vechicle I'm testing or driving.

And whats all that about "The driver expected the very sensitive ESP to kick in and end the skid"? Any driver who drives so wrecklessly to the point where an accident like this one would happen without ESP clearly does not belong in such a high-power car. Drivers don't typically lay their lives in the hands of an ESP.
When I wanna drive my E55 hard, I actually take off ESP, it's more fun!

BMW DSC on the M5 under the M-mode will allow the car to go side way like you are doing a power slide (i.e. almost complete off, it will still intervene eventually) . This is not doable in the E55 because ESP at just minor upset of chassis (or loss of traction) will cut power immediately.
Well I don't know for sure about the E55, but the CLS55 reviewed in this video with ESP off [ CLICK HERE ] shows the car doing slides (drifting) with no immediate power cuts but does show that the brakes still engage to a limit
Old 07-21-2005, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
My fault for starting with the wrong title

Originally Posted by tjcMBE55AMG
Should have been:

M5 -1, Trees -4

Seriously, it appears the sportiness of the M5 is coming at a huge expense of safety. To get a good launch and to have quick shifts, one has to do the S6, M button mode getting average drivers into trouble.

Who really knows what happened, the bottom line is, we have already seen 3 cars written off in a relatively short period of time for whatever reason. Good thing the ring taxi didn't get into an accident itself when it broke down.

I hear Porsche's system is actually best not abruptly intrusive yet effective in bailing you out.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:28 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by W210
Should have been:

M5 -1, Trees -4

Seriously, it appears the sportiness of the M5 is coming at a huge expense of safety. To get a good launch and to have quick shifts, one has to do the S6, M button mode getting average drivers into trouble.

Who really knows what happened, the bottom line is, we have already seen 3 cars written off in a relatively short period of time for whatever reason. Good thing the ring taxi didn't get into an accident itself when it broke down.

I hear Porsche's system is actually best not abruptly intrusive yet effective in bailing you out.

To a cetrain degree, i agree with this assesment. M5 never has so much handling performance build into it until E60 arrives. E39 although a good handling car is nowhere close to a true sports car.

I really think that driving the new M5 will require a lot of maturity. I don't think the maturity of a lot of potential M5 owner is up to par (including myself). I think this has contributed one way of the other in 3 cars that has written off in such a short period of time.

M5 pushed the performance envelope to far to a lot of driver. Maturity is seriously needed this time around.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:30 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by houston
Well I don't know for sure about the E55, but the CLS55 reviewed in this video with ESP off [ CLICK HERE ] shows the car doing slides (drifting) with no immediate power cuts but does show that the brakes still engage to a limit
Well CLS is much more agressive than E55. Even CLS ESP still does not allow the freedom of the M5 DSC. Which i now thinks may be its too lenient for average joe.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well CLS is much more agressive than E55.
What does this mean?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
What does this mean?
He doesn't know what he's talking about, we all know that.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:23 AM

2008 E63
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
He doesn't know what he's talking about, we all know that.
Clearly. That he makes the assumption that any driver of a 500HP car regardless of what make and model gets into an automobile, disengages a safety feature and expects the car to react similar to another car is absurd. It was well publicized in every early article that the M5's traction control system would be less intrusive than MB's. Regardless, I don't think any one of us would jump into another vehicle disengage the traction control and and drift a corner without knowing what the car will do. Driver error, yes. Anything to do with either car's traction controls, No.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Corvette, 04 BMW M3 (Wife's car), 04 Mercedes E55.
So let me try to understand.. the E55 driver wrecked the M5 and it was his fault.. hmmm. as soon as he got behind the wheel of the M5, doesnt that make him an M5 driver?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
I personally cannot wait until the new M5 comes out so he can go over to that site and stop coming over here. Like we need anymore retards on this site. My "ignore" feature is growing day by day.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:44 PM

Also, AFAIK side airbags are an option, this one might not have had them...
Old 07-21-2005, 01:05 PM

04 E55
What does this mean?
CLS benefitted from better steering response from our early production E55. During my limited time with CLS, the ESP is not as intrusive as our E55. CLS has also has slightly bigger tires. Hence the car is more agressive than E55.

CLS through out its model range is more agressive (i.e. more of a driver car) than W211.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: E55 1, M5 0.