Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
V1 for visual display and range, laser jammer to block laser, if serious about speeding, install police scanner to pick up police communications (aircraft and cop cars on the road).
Old 07-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mainroman
Seriously, Cops do nothing.
Seriously guys, if cops don't do anything, radar detectors are totally useless.

There were four cars broken into in my neighborhood last week. All four cars had substantial audio equipment in it. The first thing cops here did from what I hear was to look for evidence including hair and fingerprints. Maybe the cops at your location haven't been trained or suck? Which in that case, it's your duty to take care of it, as you pay for their services!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
I'm testing a laser jammer next month and will report back.
Derek,

Which unit are you testing? Lidatek? Please share your results
Old 07-22-2005, 07:46 AM

C32 AMG
I have a passport and i picked it for the following reasons...

i think the arrows on the V1 are useless...does it really matter to you where the signal is coming from? either way your going to slow down right? I think the arrows give you a false sense of security...you are probably going to get more tickets with the V1 because the arrows will give you more excuses to shrug off a threat

also....car and driver was the only publication I came across that said V1 was better...most websites said that passport was better. It has MORE RANGE and LESS false alarms

even though the passport is cheaper, its actually not that much cheaper...the blue x50 costs about 340 and the V1 cost 400. however the V1 comes with the hardwire kit while on the x50 you have to buy it seperately for 30. so V1 actually only costs 30 dollars more...so there goes the "since it costs 100 more it must be alot better" method

I believe passport is the better detector...just think about it...what good do the arrows of the V1 really do? either way your going to slow down right? plus it doesnt even tell you if its Left OR Right, it only tells you that it could be 1 of either

V1 is overrated
Old 07-22-2005, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
I totally disagree with IdriveFast. The arrows are very useful. If I'm flying down the freeway and I get a blast from the side, I'm going to ignore it. I'm not going to get caught by somebody sitting in the Wendy's lot next to the freeway (or by the automatic door at Walmart either). It's also very important to know if you're getting signal from in front or behind. If I'm struck from the front, I'm slowing down. If I keep getting a weak signal from behind, I know I'm being tailed and I will slowly SPEED UP with a close eye on my rear view mirror. Who cares if there's radar about. I want to know where it is!

As far as cost, I don't think anybody has ever argued that the V1 is better simply because it costs more. But keep in mind, when something new comes along (like POP), I can upgrade my V1 cheaper than you can replace your passport.

Lastly, don't discount the Car and Driver report. Read the article and see the lengths they go to in order to create a real world situation that allows acurate comparisons. I think they are right on.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They are both good detectors. Do you want arrows or stealth install? I chose stealth install thus the Passport SRX. I've seen some folks who have done a pretty good job hiding valentines as well.

Oblax4, yes it is the SRX laser shifting that I am going to test. Gotta cop who is going to help me.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Almost a Member!

99 E55
derek, does the SRX laser jammin feature work by alerting you of a laser attack, and you press a disable button on the jammer and after a set time it renables the jammer? the idea is the time the jammer is disabled, the cop is resetting his laser gun and wondering why it didnt get a speed reading and by that time you have slowed down and flicked him off as you drive by
Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ImaginAsian
derek, does the SRX laser jammin feature work by alerting you of a laser attack, and you press a disable button on the jammer and after a set time it renables the jammer? the idea is the time the jammer is disabled, the cop is resetting his laser gun and wondering why it didnt get a speed reading and by that time you have slowed down and flicked him off as you drive by
Something like that other than the disable button as far as I know. I won't be flicking off the cop helping me test it though, since it'll be my dad (who LOVES me having things like this...).
Old 07-22-2005, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
............there only difference between SR7 and SRX is that the SRX has a built in ZR3 while the SR7 has a ZR3 added at the time of instalation. SR7 plus ZR3=SRX. I have three of these in my G55K, CLK32k and 300CE. Very stealth. Display is etched into rear view mirror. looks stock. works great. No directional radar, but the jammer is directional. The display tells you if it is the laser jammer or rear laser jammer.

Ted
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 AM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Hi guys, I was told by my shop that the SRX jammer is constantly emitting it's signals so when you are hit, it is already working. It signals a tone to tell you that you were hit by laser, but by that time, it's already been jammed, and you'd best be slowing down so as not to be visually speeding.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:07 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
the jamming signal the cop gets can be for a variety of reasons, sunlight, bright lights, xenon headlights, etc. but if he sees a constant jamming aimed at your car, it might be slightly suspect. in california at least, the legality of these laser jammers is questionable at best.

so its best to have a jammer that shuts off a few seconds after it jams (lidatek), or one that you can manually shut off (blinder). can the passport/other jammers do that?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:15 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Derek,

The blinder guys are in Florida. They'd be happy to help you test laser jamming products. They have the guns as well.

Gareth
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 PM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
so its best to have a jammer that shuts off a few seconds after it jams (lidatek), or one that you can manually shut off (blinder). can the passport/other jammers do that?
Beltronics has a unit that incorporates a disable button.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/91850-lidatek-blinder-laser-jammer-install-question.html
Old 07-22-2005, 12:44 PM

I also have the SR7 w/ the shifters on my clk 55...and so far so good with it (knock on wood). I'm very curious what DerekFSU's results are going to be when he does the tests.
Are the shifters are active or passive, and are they constantly emitting jamming signals? ... meaning anyone w/ a laser radar detector that drives past you is going to be freakin cause it's going off non-stop?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:41 PM

C32 AMG
you should already know if the cop is coming towards you though, because the signal will get strong very fast and fade away just as fast, assuming you maintain speed.

if they were behind you, the signal would not fade away quickly unless you speed up.

Originally Posted by xraymd
I totally disagree with IdriveFast. The arrows are very useful. If I'm flying down the freeway and I get a blast from the side, I'm going to ignore it. I'm not going to get caught by somebody sitting in the Wendy's lot next to the freeway (or by the automatic door at Walmart either). It's also very important to know if you're getting signal from in front or behind. If I'm struck from the front, I'm slowing down. If I keep getting a weak signal from behind, I know I'm being tailed and I will slowly SPEED UP with a close eye on my rear view mirror. Who cares if there's radar about. I want to know where it is!

As far as cost, I don't think anybody has ever argued that the V1 is better simply because it costs more. But keep in mind, when something new comes along (like POP), I can upgrade my V1 cheaper than you can replace your passport.

Lastly, don't discount the Car and Driver report. Read the article and see the lengths they go to in order to create a real world situation that allows acurate comparisons. I think they are right on.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Originally Posted by IdriveFast
you should already know if the cop is coming towards you though, because the signal will get strong very fast and fade away just as fast, assuming you maintain speed.

if they were behind you, the signal would not fade away quickly unless you speed up.

What if he's driving in front of me? Signal would stay the same, and without arrows I don't know if he's in front of me or behind. I certainly don't want to speed up if he's in front of me over the hill. As far as watching signal strength, it doesn't help here in Ohio because the state guys only turn on their units for a brief time every few minutes. Only the locals leave their units on constantly so I can watch the signal strength and figure out what's up.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:18 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Yeah I just read about that Time distance thing. Nice website that radartest.

I think it's wrong. They measure your average speed there,
so once you see the markings you can slow down to 45mph and never get caught, and by doing this you will create perfectly legal dangerous situation on the road, which makes that method unacceptable.
And that bull**** when cop just measures distance on his own????
This is just wrong.
And the whole approach to speed enforcement is wrong. First of all you cannot use it to generate revenue, this is not what the cops are for.
This goes completely opposite way with beloved "freedom" termin, everybody screams about on every corner. ( No one is free in the USA, this country is by far one if the most un-free countries in the world. Government does really good job on brainwashing people to believe otherwise. My opinion though.)

Also in my opinion if a cop cannot proof that it was you in your car speeding, he cannot give you a ticket. They should have proof. A certified photo radar, with high resolution digital camera that takes picture of you, car, surroundings, speed limit sign, and shows YOUR speed at the time, not speed of an eagle, or debris or any other car in the flow. And Only if officer has all that, only in this case he can pull you over and issue a ticket.

And what's with the "under paid" cops thing? I think they overpaid. What are they making? 25-30k per year minimum, how can you call this underpaid?
And what do they do all day? Coffee and donuts - for free!

Anyway the whole traffic enforcement approach should be revised.
It's just to unfair and too wrong.
You are so right.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:17 PM

04 E55
Anybody uses a Radar Detector of some sort?
What can you recommend?
Do they help?
Don't forget, www.speedzones.com is another source on radar detectors.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 E55
I'm in Denver, CO

Guess Denver Cops can only abuse and kill people.
We had several incidents like that. We have some kind of public supervisor for cops now. Anyway, they not doing what they supposed to do.
My friend is a cop (sheriff), and he says, that cops are lazy, they won't respond to a dangerous calls e.t.c another words they are only used as a revenue generating tool and coffee and donuts consumption tool.
I think they should be paid for the actual work they do.
Catch a drug dealer, here's 1000 bucks for you...smth like that

Tax money should go to Fire Dept, at least they do their job.

And when I called the cops to come down when my car was broken in to, they told me, go online, file a report and go buy new radio and forget about everything, we are collecting reports for statistic, no one will bother.
That's what COPS told me.
Go figure....
Old 07-22-2005, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Numaniac7
I also have the SR7 w/ the shifters on my clk 55...and so far so good with it (knock on wood). I'm very curious what DerekFSU's results are going to be when he does the tests.
Are the shifters are active or passive, and are they constantly emitting jamming signals? ... meaning anyone w/ a laser radar detector that drives past you is going to be freakin cause it's going off non-stop?
These are only passive, not active. Active is illegal as I understand it since you'd be broadcasting a radio signal or something like that. Not to mention the type of power it would take, per Mythbusters.