Sponsored by:

Subwoofer install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Subwoofer install

Has anyone on the forum installed his own subwoofer? I have always done my own stereo upgrades but MB electronics are really baffling. I need a switched 12 volt lead in the trunk for my remote amp turn circuit.

The audio forum hasn't been much help and I haven't been able to get a peep out of Scorchie. Everything that I have checked 3.5v or other odd voltages. I emailed MBenzNL for help finding a wiring harness using MB wiring and plugs, this would be ideal but have not gotten any info regarding that set up.

If anyone has any info or knows of a good website which might point me in the right direction I certainly would appreciate it. I've got a JLA 10W7 and a Monoblock 500/1 just itchin to get turned on.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Search this forum for the one eagleeye had done. He didn't do the install, but he may have some insight on where the power came from. Switched 12v on this car is tough to find!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:22 AM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
i just used my extra wiring harnesses from my valentine to splice into the 12v switched outlet in the trunk (rear left). works like a charm.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I swear, nobody works on their own cars here. Anytime I do a search for any technical items, the typical response is "take it to a professional". I thought this was a forum for the enthusiast.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:01 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Originally Posted by medici78
I swear, nobody works on their own cars here. Anytime I do a search for any technical items, the typical response is "take it to a professional". I thought this was a forum for the enthusiast.
i took mine to a "professional" shop and they did a horrible job (out of phase, set to trigger with signal, not with ignition, rattled the car everywhere). i did the re-wiring. it would be great if some people put together some good FAQs on certain topics, like for example just the sub install. and after that, the ipod install. i'm sure there are quite a few good DIY'ers on this forum.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If someone wants to lend me a W211 and the equipment I'll do the write up with pictures and all!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:57 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
i just used my extra wiring harnesses from my valentine to splice into the 12v switched outlet in the trunk (rear left). works like a charm.
Unfortunately I don't have any plug on the left side of the trunk. I looked at your comment from a few mos ago and thought I would have no problem but can't find it. You are talking about a 12v plug like the one that is in the ashtray?

As far as working on my own cars, I have done it all my life, but this MB is really perplexing. Everthing is computerized and low voltage. The fiberoptic network is difficult to understand without the apprpriate manuals. (that I don't have) BMW forums have all the wiring diagrams for their vehicles readily available and I've used them several times on my M3. Very handy!

According to JL Audio triggering can be done by signal sensing circuit but it must be a midrange signal and if you're using signal to the rear base speaker it won't come on. This seems ludicrous when it's a monoblock BASS amp that will never to connected to anything but equalized bass signals. GO FIGURE.

I'm still working on it and next step is to go to my MB guru that owes me a favor. He doesn't do sound systems but he might be able to find a 12v switched line in the rear of the vehicle. Thanks for yalls help.

Last edited by Vetluver; 08-02-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Did anyone bother to search for scorchie's thread on this subject matter? (j/k)

Maybe this link will help you further. Click me

@Ricky
I can't believe you didn't find/post this hint.

<duckundschnellweg>
Old 08-02-2005, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Did anyone bother to search for scorchie's thread on this subject matter? (j/k)

Maybe this link will help you further. Click me

@Ricky
I can't believe you didn't find/post this hint.

<duckundschnellweg>
I saw that, but all it talks about is a wiring harness that scorchie was selling at one time. Doesnt say anything about, say, 12v lead that the original post is asking for, does it?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by medici78
I saw that, but all it talks about is a wiring harness that scorchie was selling at one time. Doesnt say anything about, say, 12v lead that the original post is asking for, does it?
Good observation and a valid point. The only thing I have to offer to count this argument is his reputation and forum/member assistance in the past. Therefore I have a very hard time believing that he would be willing to ruin that.

If one were to go to the trouble of developing a special harness, knowing full well that the turn-on signal is needed and fiber optic turn-ons are the MB norm, would it not be sensible to mention that when offering a solution for AF equipment. I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt in this case. $0.02
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I'm willing to spend the money on the harness if I could get one. Sounds like it would be a non "hackjob" and solve my problem. I have read every article back to 1/03 and searched subs, subwoofer, audio upgrades. I'm a urologist and know about plumbing so I'm a bit lost when it comes to audio gateways and such. My E55 doesn't even have the amp on the left side of the trunk where all the diagrams say it is. I think they must have changed it's location sometime after the W211 was introduced.

Does anyone know where Scorchie is?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Almost a Member!

02 E55
I have the same set up as you (JL 500/1 plus 2 10w7's) and I'm going to hook mine up this weekend. I'm using a LC6 to convert the rear speaker outputs to line level inputs and feeding them to the 500/1. The LC6 will need to be wired to the battery and it has signal sensing to turn it on. It also has a remote turn on lead which can be use to turn the amp on. The amp will get its power from a fused distribution block which also powered the LC6. When the LC6 senses a signal it will trigger the amp to come on and power it off after 30 seconds if it receives no signals. This is how it supposed to work in theory anyway. I'll post the result after I get everything up and running.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:39 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Just an update on the quest to find a 12v switched wire in the trunk.

I just returned from the dealer and as far as my service advisor knows the closest switched 12v line is in the back seat cigarette lighter. Everything is low voltage and is connected to the computer. My next project is to run a line from the center console to the trunk. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by Vetluver
Just an update on the quest to find a 12v switched wire in the trunk.

I just returned from the dealer and as far as my service advisor knows the closest switched 12v line is in the back seat cigarette lighter. Everything is low voltage and is connected to the computer. My next project is to run a line from the center console to the trunk. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Couldn't find any switched 12v line going to the factory amp, Nav, or the fuse panel? If not, how about just wiring a relay to a switched low voltage in the trunk area and use that as your 12v remote?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by W211 Ryda
Couldn't find any switched 12v line going to the factory amp, Nav, or the fuse panel? If not, how about just wiring a relay to a switched low voltage in the trunk area and use that as your 12v remote?
Ryda, thanks for the help. This relay is designed to do the job.

Low Voltage Trigger
Provides 12 volt 500ma output from a low current source...
converts 5volt turn on to 12 volt turn on.

http://www.installer.com/acc/index.html

This may be simple for some you all but for a electronically challenged **** DOC I needed a simple premade part. It's much cheaper than a JLA LC6. Now I just need to finish my custom 1" MDF enclosure.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vetluver
**** DOC
You should totally rock that as your license plate.