Gotta ask what DerekFSU thinks about "no more Noles"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2005 | 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Gotta ask what DerekFSU thinks about "no more Noles"

He was the first one I thought of when I read the news

Sorry off topic. I don't do this much. We Utah Utes are gone as well. Even the Ute Nation out here thinks this is stupid. Wow, political correctness gone crazy.

WASHINGTON - The NCAA will prohibit college athletic teams that use Native American images deemed "hostile or abusive" from hosting postseason events or displaying the symbols during championship competition.

The policy, announced Friday, will affect at least 18 schools the NCAA said use derogatory references, including the Florida State Seminoles and the Illinois Fighting Illini, two schools whose programs consistently have competed in NCAA championship events.

Walter Harrison, the NCAA Executive Committee chairman and president of the University of Hartford, said: "We're trying to send a message, very strongly, that we do not think these types of mascots are appropriate for NCAA championships, and to say to the institution that you have the autonomy to deal with it as you wish."

Florida State President T.K. Wetherell said in a statement that the university is "stunned at the complete lack of appreciation for cultural diversity shown" by the NCAA and that he intends to pursue "all legal avenues to ensure that this unacceptable decision is overturned."
Old 08-06-2005 | 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Yeah, has been going on for a while. Several years ago St. John's University went from the Redmen to the Red Storm for the same reason. Another local school, Hofstra Univ. went from the "Flying Dutchmen" to the "Pride". As the only Dutch person I know, I can tell you I was not offended by the "flying Dutchmen" name LOL. obviously that was more a marketing thing than being afraid of being insensitive to any Dutch people!
Old 08-06-2005 | 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Thats why it "Pays" to be a Gator fan
Old 08-06-2005 | 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Ahhh mann, this could get heated.....Gators VS Noles.

I shouldn't even mention that my blood will always run Bright Orange.....Go Tennessee Vols!!! All in good fun. SEC football is unlike anything on Earth in sports....man those towns support the teams.

When I lived in Knoxville, you loved Vols, or you got an a$$ whoopin.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The next thing is that PETA or some tree hugging type group is going to lobby congress to ban endangered species as NCAA mascots. It's a bunch of crap. The Seminole indians have always voted in favor of FSU using them as their mascot. What's the big freakin' deal!

On another note, I guess FSU could go under its alias: Criminoles. They could also do as the state of Oklahoma does with its state motto. Oklahoma is OK..... Florida State University is FSU.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
While we are bieng all PC why dont we change the USC Trojans either, or maybe we might be hurting the Trees feelings with the Ohio State Buckeyes. What a load of crap. FSU has persmission from the Seminole tribe to use that name, if i remember correctly.
Old 08-06-2005 | 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Welcome to The United States of ACLU! The PC crap started 30+ years ago when a handful of Stanford students protested the school's mascot, the indian. They went 10 years without one until they finally changed their name to the Cardinal. Not the bird, the color (red). To this day, they still don't have an official mascot. The stupid tree is part of the band.

More info on the history of PC BS at the school http://gostanford.collegesports.com/...me-mascot.html

Old 08-06-2005 | 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
BETWEEN THE p.c. POLICE AND THE ***'N SAFETY police in a few more yrs we'll all be sheep.
Old 08-06-2005 | 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Childish///AMG
It pays better to be a FSU graduate.

Blown is right about one thing- The Seminole tribe wholly supports FSU's use of the Seminoles as our symbol. We have special scholarship programs for their tribe as well as consulting with them on all of the "rituals" we employ during different activities and ALL attire.

What amazes me is the NCAA thumbing their nose at the Seminole Tribe of Florida. It is their name and they allow us to work with them. Then the NCAA steps in and tells the Seminole Indians what they are allowed to do with their own name.

The Illini issue is just as bad. Last I check the state was named after the Illini tribe. Unbelievable.

From the FSU President:

"On June 17, the Tribal Council of the Seminole Tribe of Florida spoke unequivocally of its support for Florida State University in its use of the Seminole name and related symbols.

National surveys have shown in recent years that an overwhelming majority of Native Americans are not offended by the use of Native American names and symbols. In making its decision, the executive committee has been swayed by a strident minority of activists who claim to speak for all Native Americans. It is unconscionable that the Seminole Tribe of Florida has been ignored."