W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the E55 supercharger pulley replacable?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the E55 supercharger pulley replacable?

It seems to me this would be a better option for tweaking boost levels. I have a Whipplecharger on my GMC truck, which also uses the twin-screw compressor. Instead of changing the crank pulley to up the boost, I replaced the compressor pulley. It takes less than an hour to change, doesn't require a new belt, doesn't affect the other driven accessories, and, best of all, costs less than $100. Each 1/4" change in pully diameter results in about 2# of boost change. The pulleys come in 1/8" increments. I searched the forums, but didn't find any discussion on this topic. Is this an option?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Unfortunately - no.

Kompressor pulley is a part of kompressor clutch and there is no way to make it smaller.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
If it were much smaller you would get slippage. Crank pulley is usually the best way to go even though it is not the easiest.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
Unfortunately - no.

Kompressor pulley is a part of kompressor clutch and there is no way to make it smaller.
I heard from different sources that SL55 Kompressor pulley is smaller, with a shorter belt, to compensate. I even tried to buy it from the Parts Dpt at MBZ. Too many questions and threats of void warranty so I gave up.

It's worth following up, though. Keep us posted
Old 08-23-2005, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
MB does not sell kompressor pulley by itself. You can only get a complete assembly which comes with a kompressor and clutch assembly already installed.

Both cars, stock, make the same 11.6 psi of boost, which indicates kompressor pulley is the same.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Vadim clear your PM, i have a question for you!

Btw are you by any chance Russian?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey Vadim,

Just curious....pretend with me for a sec.

Let's just say we created a solid block/pulley of billet that would connect to compressor that would eliminate the need for clutch......what would happen. You would just have Kompressor running all the time correct. Would it be that dramatic on start and go's. Like every time you step on the gas you would smoke the tires or something.

Just curious.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hey Vadim,

Just curious....pretend with me for a sec.

Let's just say we created a solid block/pulley of billet that would connect to compressor that would eliminate the need for clutch......what would happen. You would just have Kompressor running all the time correct. Would it be that dramatic on start and go's. Like every time you step on the gas you would smoke the tires or something.

Just curious.
I've been asking everyone who will listen if we could do this .. I hate the clutch and I think it just slows us down. I dont care about fuel economy.. I want max power damnit!!

Someone told me that all that would be required is to find out what the voltage is that the ECU sees when the clutch is engaged and how much when it is disengaged. Then, mock up a resistor or some electronic gadget that simulates that load.

Only downside is that right now if there is a serious heat issue, the ECU can disengage the clutch and save the engine.. if its on all the time, that safety mechanism goes out the window too.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I'll stick with the clutch.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by vrus
I've been asking everyone who will listen if we could do this .. I hate the clutch and I think it just slows us down. I dont care about fuel economy.. I want max power damnit!!

Someone told me that all that would be required is to find out what the voltage is that the ECU sees when the clutch is engaged and how much when it is disengaged. Then, mock up a resistor or some electronic gadget that simulates that load.

Only downside is that right now if there is a serious heat issue, the ECU can disengage the clutch and save the engine.. if its on all the time, that safety mechanism goes out the window too.
I think we could do that with a switch and a relay. I'm going to look at the service CD to see if I can figure out the wiring schematic. That way you can lock or engage the pulley right before you race and then switch back to normal operation.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I have looked at replacing the clutch with a solid pulley. However, it performs a number of functions that will need to be duplicated:

1. It turns kompresor off under low load condition. This can be duplicated with a bypass valve(s) that opens under vacuum and circulates air through the kompressor. This is what all aftermarket blower kits use.

2. It is a safety mechanism. As many have found out, when fluid pump fails, kompressor gets turned off. Otherwise intake charge temperatures will reach over 300F, and no amount of spark retard will save the engine.

So, to replace the clutch with a bypass system is feasible. Kompressor will have to come off, new nose assembly will need to be fabricated, along with new surge tanks, bypass valves and intake connections. From a safety stand point, an air temperature switch that shut-off the engine when intake temps reach over 225F can be connected.

In the end, however, there is really no benefit, except for smoother take-off. Mileage will go down 2-3 mpg.

I think getting better intercooling, like what McLaren did on SLR, will be more beneficial in terms of power and longevity.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Also forgot to mention. DME is very smart, if it sees boost when it told kompressor to disengage the clutch, it will go into limp mode. Because now it assumes that clutch has somehow locked up.

So, we will need to add DME re-programming to a number of tasks needed to be done in order to convert to solid pulley.