W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Air filter test data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2005 | 11:15 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Air filter test data

This is a pretty interesting test on OEM and aftermarket air filters, maybe it will put an end to the discussion of which is best.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Old 09-01-2005 | 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Im glad im not running the K&N filter. I am going to try out the Evo Green filters to see if they are any good as stock filters.
Old 09-02-2005 | 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Im glad im not running the K&N filter. I am going to try out the Evo Green filters to see if they are any good as stock filters.
How are you going to obtain the necessary data to compare the difference of the performance of the two filters ?
Old 09-02-2005 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by C43AMG
How are you going to obtain the necessary data to compare the difference of the performance of the two filters ?
I think evo has some data on them compared to the K&N and stock filters. I will have to look into this though. Many people seem to enjoy the green filters and they say that it filters considerably better than K&N and its almost at near stock quality. We shall see though.
Old 09-02-2005 | 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I think evo has some data on them compared to the K&N and stock filters. I will have to look into this though. Many people seem to enjoy the green filters and they say that it filters considerably better than K&N and its almost at near stock quality. We shall see though.
K&N has data too. It doesn't look like what is in this test though.
Old 09-02-2005 | 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Thank you for your response.If you could post your findings I would appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2005 | 11:44 AM

05 C55, BMWX 3.0, Subaru Forester (Shaggin Wagon)
Great post and interesting data. Wish they tested Green Filters as well.

I'll say this. I have Green Filters and I see an appreciable difference in "response".... which I attribute to a less restricted airflow, not very empirical but rather experiencial.

Can't talk about the dirt aspect, although when I opened up the airbox, lots of bugs and things trapped....Gave it a high pressure blow job.

Also don't know about HP gains....I just notice better throttal "response"..

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2005 | 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Can someone give me some quick info on the Greens.....do they involve oiling in anyway.....is it just a super high quality paper filter?

I must admit....all this info is starting to spook me.

Thanks for any info.

**just surfed the EVO website and could not find them....can someone help me out....and if they are not on the site...any idea why this "best filter of alll time" would not be aggressively promoted.

Thanks again

Last edited by Jakpro1; 09-03-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2005 | 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Can someone give me some quick info on the Greens.....do they involve oiling in anyway.....is it just a super high quality paper filter?

I must admit....all this info is starting to spook me.

Thanks for any info.

**just surfed the EVO website and could not find them....can someone help me out....and if they are not on the site...any idea why this "best filter of alll time" would not be aggressively promoted.

Thanks again
I'm getting spooked also. Not sure if it's just coincidence or what, but in the last week It seems I've read more problems/warnings regarding mods in general. Didn't know then what I know now, but getting scared everytime VRUS and others post regarding NOT increasing boost first like I have with my Renntech pulley and ECU LOL. Probably wouldn't have done it that way if I had to do over again. Since most of these cars still don't have a lot of miles on it, I don't think the tuners have any idea on the long term effects on these mods, specifically increased boost. Maybe there isn't any? So VRUS, Grumpy, and the rest of you techies, what are we damaging with our Renntech or Kleemann pulley/ECU?
Old 09-03-2005 | 11:18 AM

E63 biturbo
Last I enquired the Green filters are not available for the 55 Kompressor engines, only for the C55, CLK55 ... etc. Anyone knows if this has changed or if they are coming out with them soon?
Old 09-03-2005 | 11:42 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I am using the BMC Race filters on my car. I had the K&N before..

This is a give and take situation. You cant have both unfortunately...

Any material that is more pourous is obviously going to let more particles through it. It's a matter of finding the right compromise between how pourous and/or how restrictive (more paper like) you want the filter.

Regardless of what people tell you or what you read, there is NO WAY that a paper filter has the same CFM rate as a K&N or BMC filter and that is why you feel the car more responsive. Less throttle required to get it going.

I used a FOAM race filter on my Porsches and my vettes when I wanted to do drags and other fun stuff.. I switched back to my BMC filters when I was running on the street.

I check my throttle body inlet and my filter housings almost every week or two. I inspect the throttle plate for residue and it is basically clean other than the oil residue that I notice from the PCV system.

I am sure that the particle size and amount of the "dirt" that is let through with BMC & K&N filters is not harmful to the engine otherwise you would hear all kinds of horror stories on the net.

That's my $0.02 anyways..
Old 09-03-2005 | 12:48 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I think some of the forum members have checked whether airfilters change output by Dyno and found no difference. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I've read this several times.

If you have a NA engine I would think that restriction might have some effect but with a FI I think restriction is neglible. Also if you look at the size of the 2 filters (one is the same size as my Vette's one filter) you would think that the surface area of the MB filters are more than adequate.

I am not going away from stock simply because I don't race and 2 or 8 HP makes no difference on the street. I rely on my wonderful reflexes and skill to smoke the guy next to me. :p HA HA
Old 09-03-2005 | 12:54 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
Regardless of what people tell you or what you read, there is NO WAY that a paper filter has the same CFM rate as a K&N or BMC filter and that is why you feel the car more responsive. Less throttle required to get it going...
I think you hit the nail on the head. Throttle response is improved without a doubt. I think this is why it feels superior. When you look at peak numbers tho I'm not sure that it makes that much of the difference.
Old 09-03-2005 | 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
We are gonna prove this once and for all as I am gonna dyno both.....well stock filters and K & N's shortly.

Got a real nice dyno in town that does all the high hp ricers so at least the thing shouldn't be flying off the unit.....I hope.
Old 09-03-2005 | 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by cte430
I'm getting spooked also. Not sure if it's just coincidence or what, but in the last week It seems I've read more problems/warnings regarding mods in general. Didn't know then what I know now, but getting scared everytime VRUS and others post regarding NOT increasing boost first like I have with my Renntech pulley and ECU LOL. Probably wouldn't have done it that way if I had to do over again. Since most of these cars still don't have a lot of miles on it, I don't think the tuners have any idea on the long term effects on these mods, specifically increased boost. Maybe there isn't any? So VRUS, Grumpy, and the rest of you techies, what are we damaging with our Renntech or Kleemann pulley/ECU?
I don't think there is a right answer to your question. By all I've been able to gleen, MB/AMG overbuilds these engines. Take the McLaren for example - 600+ HP on what looks to be the same basic engine. If you don't beat the snot out of your car, there should be no long-term adverse effects to a pulley/ECU mod only. But, to gain all the advantage that the pulley has to offer, you really need to install headers and the IC mod. This will increase air flow and provide a cooler intake charge. Generally speaking, there's more power to be had by lower intake temperatures than bumping boost.

Originally Posted by Vetluver
If you have a NA engine I would think that restriction might have some effect but with a FI I think restriction is neglible.
Actually, the higher the air flow requirements, the more of a problem an air filter restriction becomes. S/C engines make more power than a NA engine because more air is forced into the engine in the same amount of time. All that air has to go through the filter.

Originally Posted by Vetluver
I think you hit the nail on the head. Throttle response is improved without a doubt. I think this is why it feels superior. When you look at peak numbers tho I'm not sure that it makes that much of the difference.
This confuses me. Increased throttle response means you're getting a more efficient filling of the cylinders at a lower RPM level. This usually occurs because of higher velocity of the intake charge. If the filter that was replaced flowed less air at lower RPMs than the new one, then it should flow much less air at higher RPMs and make less power.

We are gonna prove this once and for all as I am gonna dyno both.....well stock filters and K & N's shortly.
Be sure to carefully monitor intake air temperatures. This could have a bigger impact than filter difference. Another suggestion would be to do the stock filter, then the K&N, then the stock again.
Old 09-04-2005 | 05:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
I sold 95 Green Filters just last month for the 5.5L N/A and Supercharged cars and everyone was impressed, almost half the customers came from K&N, and like the Green MUCH better.
Old 09-04-2005 | 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I sold 95 Green Filters just last month for the 5.5L N/A and Supercharged cars and everyone was impressed,
So is there a Green Filter for the E55? Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-04-2005 | 04:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
So is there a Green Filter for the E55? Thanks again for the info.

Yes, they sure do make them for the W211 E55. We have them on our site under the W211 E-Class section.
Old 09-04-2005 | 06:38 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
Yes, they sure do make them for the W211 E55. We have them on our site under the W211 E-Class section.
Do they require oil after cleaning like the K&N's? That's another thing I hate.

I wish we had a manufacturer that made a stainless steel mesh filter for our cars.
Old 09-04-2005 | 06:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

There is a cleaning kit which Euroteck also offers. It's called the re-charge kit and you should get it when you buy the filters too.
Old 09-04-2005 | 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
I sold 95 Green Filters just last month for the 5.5L N/A and Supercharged cars and everyone was impressed, almost half the customers came from K&N, and like the Green MUCH better.

Why do they like them MUCH better? I don't think there's any comparison out there for flow or filtering between the K&N and Greenies, right? So what's the basis for them liking them so much better?
Old 09-04-2005 | 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by WayneE
Why do they like them MUCH better? I don't think there's any comparison out there for flow or filtering between the K&N and Greenies, right? So what's the basis for them liking them so much better?
Reliabilty.
Lots of folks have had problems with K&N's. The opposite with the Green's.

Product A and Product B offer the same thing.
B works.

Which do you pick?
Old 09-04-2005 | 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
What problems?
Old 09-04-2005 | 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Specifically the K&N's being too oily and harming their MAF's.
Old 09-04-2005 | 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Specifically the K&N's being too oily and harming their MAF's.
No MAF in E55

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air filter test data