Sponsored by:

Lowering mod using onboard diagnostics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 12:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Lowering mod using onboard diagnostics?

Who hear know about lowering our E55's using the onboard diagnostics.
My MB mechanic says it can't be done, or at least that he has never heard of it. I need to put him in touch with someone who can tell him how it's done.
Regards
Josh Keller
Old 09-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55211 traded in for CLS55
Originally Posted by E552006
My MB mechanic says it can't be done, or at least that he has never heard of it. I need to put him in touch with someone who can tell him how it's done.
Regards
Josh Keller
Some MB mechanics are not aware that they can do it, some dealers does not want to do it because of liability issue. But it can be done. You may want to contact Steve (or BigSis) if you are seriously considering lowering your E55.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:44 PM

2020 G550
My dealer will do it with the understanding that "it never happened"
How do I contact Steve?
Do you think he would talk to a tech at my dealership?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Call my Service Advisor (Vincent) at Brumos Mercedes in Jacksonville, FL (904-724-1080, ask the receptionist for "Mercedes Service" and then when they answer on the transfer ask for Vincent). They lowered mine. No problems, no questions, they just did it - so apparently they do it all the time.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:17 PM

My dealer will do it with the understanding that "it never happened"
How do I contact Steve?
Do you think he would talk to a tech at my dealership?
He is one of the sponsors in this forum. His homepage is http://www.MBenzNL.com
Old 09-14-2005, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I had Steve do mine. It doesn't look difficult, but I'm sure a lot of experience is involved when choosing the voltage values to make sure it sits evenly. Regardless of who you choose to do it, make sure they have experience.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by oblax4
Call my Service Advisor (Vincent) at Brumos Mercedes in Jacksonville, FL (904-724-1080, ask the receptionist for "Mercedes Service" and then when they answer on the transfer ask for Vincent). They lowered mine. No problems, no questions, they just did it - so apparently they do it all the time.
How much did they lower your car?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:15 PM

2020 G550
Originally Posted by oblax4
Would you tell me your name so I can reference you. You can PM me if you like.
Thanks Everyone
Josh
Old 09-14-2005, 07:43 PM

Can't you lower these cars w/o touching the electronics by shimming the height sensors?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
The height is adjusted with the SDS machine. It should take 15 minutes. Not a big deal.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Regards
Josh Keller
Why bother? Half the guys here have lowered their cars by the link method (or washer method) for 80c. Look up a long thread "Lower your E55 for 80c ...." You will hear a lot of "horror "stories from all those who spent $2000 on electronic modules and rave reviews from the rest of us who spent 80c...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Then again the washer method could have some long term effects on your cars suspension. Its much better and cheaper to have it done right via Star Diagnostics.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 AM

2020 G550
Originally Posted by Rafal
Why bother? Half the guys here have lowered their cars by the link method (or washer method) for 80c. Look up a long thread "Lower your E55 for 80c ...." You will hear a lot of "horror "stories from all those who spent $2000 on electronic modules and rave reviews from the rest of us who spent 80c...
Rafal
I appreciate all of your research and effort in seeing that this mod is fairly safe. While I agree that 80 cents is less money than $100, I would rather have the dealer do it within the confines of the ECU.
just my 2 pennys (in a bucket, F$*# it).
No big deal.
I have worked on more cars than I care to count and have done MAJOR work on engines, turbos and suspensions....so I am not afraid to take a car apart and put it back together again...but I feel if it can be done with factory software instead of mechanics that it will be a better product in the end. (with all variables considered).
Once again, thank you for the link and post.
It was very informative.
Regards
Josh
Old 09-15-2005, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd much rather have it lowered within MB specs than some $.80 shims. Think about it. Lowering with non-precision parts you buy for less than a dollar at any corner hardware store (plus a few minutes with a dremel, IIRC) vs. lowering with the Official Mercedes-Benz diagnostic computer and keeping it within factory specs. If there ever was a no-brainer regarding E55 mods...
Old 09-15-2005, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

, I would rather have the dealer do it within the confines of the ECU.
You are absolutely correct. It is far better to break ILLEGALLY into the factory ECU codes to electronically alter voltages to all four wheels, than to make three small mechanical adjustments (fully reversible) of 3-5mm to mechanical levers/sensors of a SELF LEVELLING SUSPENSION, which have been designed specifically to detect thousands of much bigger inputs and to make adjustments every day you drive the car, drop a wheel in a pot hole, park in a gutter, etc.
None of those maneouvers compare in magnitude to the 5mm adjustment...
I guess it's like adjusting the volume on your car stereo: you like to press the digital button on the steering wheel , I like the mechanical approach of physically turning the knob with my hand.

Last edited by Rafal; 09-15-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
It is far better to break ILLEGALLY into the factory ECU codes to electronically alter voltages to all four wheels

I am so totally loosing you here...how did keeping a car WITHIN factory specs with the use of factory tools get translated into illegally braking into factory ECU codes???

greetingz,
Old 09-15-2005, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBenzNL

I am so totally loosing you here...how did keeping a car WITHIN factory specs with the use of factory tools get translated into illegally braking into factory ECU codes???

greetingz,
How? Why won't most officially accredited MBZ dealers do this mod, or any other electronic or mechanical mod for that matter? Why is it not an approved MBZ option or upgrade? Why do most MBZ not know anything about it? Let's face it, both methods are equally bootleg, and therefore "illegal" in the eyes of Mercedes Benz. With the link method at least, you get the desired effect immediately. With the voltage method, I hear, if done by a less experienced technician, it's trial and error with all four corners needing several adjustments before they sit right, not lopsided.
Good luck, I am not trying to convince you either way and I do respect your reported track record. Not all technicians are as skilled as you.
PS. I will never have the opportunity to test your undoubted skills on my car.
However, the members of this Forum have the unfortunate track record of recommending, in good faith, the services of many vendors or tuners, including the likes of Harris. Therefore, we encourage everyone to think for themselves and do their own research before embarking on any project involving their cars. That, sometimes, presents opposing views.

Last edited by Rafal; 09-15-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Cost me $2.
I used stainless steel washers.

Whether the voltages are altered electronically via star diagnostics or indirectly via washers seems irrelevant. The end result is exactly the same - the car sits lower.
IF lowering the cars centre of gravity and changing the angles of various suspension components increases the risk of suspension failure - both methods will lead to the same outcome.

The electronic method is neater. The washer method is cheaper. Take your pick!

By the way - I do note that some of those critical of the washer method have other mods - like non standard airfilters, wheels and tyres not "recommended" by MB.
Any changes from stock standard comes with some inherent "risk".

To each his own.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:24 AM

2005 E55 Black
Originally Posted by OzE55
Cost me $2.
I used stainless steel washers.

Whether the voltages are altered electronically via star diagnostics or indirectly via washers seems irrelevant. The end result is exactly the same - the car sits lower.
IF lowering the cars centre of gravity and changing the angles of various suspension components increases the risk of suspension failure - both methods will lead to the same outcome.

By the way - I do note that some of those critical of the washer method have other mods - like non standard airfilters, wheels and tyres not "recommended" by MB.
Any changes from stock standard comes with some inherent "risk".

To each his own.
I believe the Eurpean versions of these cars sit lower. Our cars in the USA sit higher so due to bumper height laws. It's probably fine to lower the car but the MB dealers are worried about liability issues in this world of 3 lawyers to every person walking around.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:56 AM

2020 G550
Originally Posted by OzE55

This is where I disagree, if the computer "knows" that the vehicle is lower it should adjust all other permameters to match. The vehicle height would be a known perameter if done within the factory computer. I am not worried at all about mechanical failures due to this mod by either means.
I just think that things like roll angle, traction control and ABS could be effected if the computer does not know the true ride height.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How? Why won't most officially accredited MBZ dealers do this mod, or any other electronic or mechanical mod for that matter? Why is it not an approved MBZ option or upgrade? Why do most MBZ not know anything about it? Let's face it, both methods are equally bootleg, and therefore "illegal" in the eyes of Mercedes Benz. With the link method at least, you get the desired effect immediately. With the voltage method, I hear, if done by a less experienced technician, it's trial and error with all four corners needing several adjustments before they sit right, not lopsided.
Good luck, I am not trying to convince you either way and I do respect your reported track record. Not all technicians are as skilled as you.
However, the members of this Forum have the unfortunate track record of recommending, in good faith, the services of many vendors or tuners, including the likes of Harris. Therefore, we encourage everyone to think for themselves and do their own research before embarking on any project involving their cars. That, sometimes, presents opposing views.
Star Diagnose is not "illegal" in M-B's eyes. There are no codes or red flags, whereas one can easily see the washers or links and know the suspension was tampered with. It is not out of spec if you were take it in for service. The computer specifies a range of voltage values. All you do is change the values. The range is M-B specified and you cannot deviate from the range. Some cars have more adjustability than others. Mine was only able to be lowered .75" while others can go twice as much. .75" was enough to eliminate the fender gap on my particular car.
Also, it is adjustable by three points: the front right, front left and the rear, not all corners.
If the range is set per Mercedes-Benz specifications and you cannot deviate from this range, I don't see how it could be "illegal". You are not tricking the computer, simply providing new settings which, as I said, are a range specified by M-B. If anything would be "illegal" in M-B's eyes, it is using cheap hardware to TRICK the computer to do something that can be done without tricking it if you use the Star Diagnose computer.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Rafal,

The reason that no MB dealer will do the changes with Star Diagnostics is for LIABILITY reasons. Lowering the vehicle alters the ride height and that affects front & rear impact safety.

In North America our impact safety guidelines are much more strict than in Germany.. (ie. We have to have 5mph bumpers, etc..).

If the car is lowered by MB and you are involved in an accident you COULD hold MB responsible.

That's the only reason they won't do it. It doesn't meet North American Safety standards.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
How? Why won't most officially accredited MBZ dealers do this mod, or any other electronic or mechanical mod for that matter?...Why do most MBZ not know anything about it?
there you go - you answered your own question!

greetingz,
Old 09-15-2005, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by medici78
Star Diagnose is not "illegal" in M-B's eyes. There are no codes or red flags, whereas one can easily see the washers or links and know the suspension was tampered with. It is not out of spec if you were take it in for service. The computer specifies a range of voltage values. All you do is change the values. The range is M-B specified and you cannot deviate from the range. Some cars have more adjustability than others. Mine was only able to be lowered .75" while others can go twice as much. .75" was enough to eliminate the fender gap on my particular car.
Also, it is adjustable by three points: the front right, front left and the rear, not all corners.
If the range is set per Mercedes-Benz specifications and you cannot deviate from this range, I don't see how it could be "illegal". You are not tricking the computer, simply providing new settings which, as I said, are a range specified by M-B. If anything would be "illegal" in M-B's eyes, it is using cheap hardware to TRICK the computer to do something that can be done without tricking it if you use the Star Diagnose computer.
Thanks guys, I feel a littler better about it now.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vrus
Rafal,

The reason that no MB dealer will do the changes with Star Diagnostics is for LIABILITY reasons. Lowering the vehicle alters the ride height and that affects front & rear impact safety.

In North America our impact safety guidelines are much more strict than in Germany.. (ie. We have to have 5mph bumpers, etc..).

If the car is lowered by MB and you are involved in an accident you COULD hold MB responsible.

That's the only reason they won't do it. It doesn't meet North American Safety standards.
Victor, this is a little far fetched. How many cars in America have the same ride height as E55? How many SUV sit with their bumpers at your shoulder level at red lights? The days of BIG BUMPER Volvos came and went in the 70's, even in America. Amongst the W211 the Elegance ride is the highest, followed by the E55 and the Sport/Avantguarde non-airmatic being the lowest.
I measured them all. My E500 sat 10mm lower than my stock E55!
The only liabilty issues are due to people scraping their cars on ****ty driveways and claiming warranty replacements of their front spoilers.
Also, the ride comfort changes to more firm as you lower the suspension(less air volume in the air springs). Many buyers do not want to sacrifice their plush ride, especially in the land of the soggy suspensions... which happens to be the second biggest market.
I recently drove my friend's E55 with stock suspension and, I swear, it made me sea sick, it was floating and rolling so much on Sport 1!

Last edited by Rafal; 09-15-2005 at 11:33 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering mod using onboard diagnostics?