Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Will some TUNER please do....

A FMIC or TMIC for us!
Please, please, please..
I would bet that we could get a system mass produced for under 3k that would take care of all of our intake temp issues.
HKS, Greddy etc.. make these kits for turbo cars with all plumbing for around 2k.
I believe there would be a HUGE market for this product. I know the plumbing would be difficult as well as the install but I would gladly pay 3k for this instead of a patch like the Evo cooling mod. (Nothing against this mod but it's just patching a bad design instead of correcting it.)
My 2 cents.
Josh
Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Josh,

Our cars use AIR to WATER intercoolers. The intercooler is located below the supercharger. Coolant flows through that intercooler to a FRONT MOUNTED heat exchanger. In effect you already have an FMIC.

What EVO did was add an auxiliary heat exchanger which is connected inline with the stock heat exchanger which makes the whole system more efficient.

What you are talking about is exactly what EVO did.

If you are saying to get rid of the stock one and the EVO one and just build 1 big one, well that's a different story.. I dont think there is enough room behind there to fit anything bigger to be honest.

I did the install myself with a couple of buddies and everything is pretty tight as it is behind there. The small heat exchanger that EVO made just barely fits..
Old 09-15-2005, 11:36 PM

2020 G550
Originally Posted by vrus
Josh,

Our cars use AIR to WATER intercoolers. The intercooler is located below the supercharger. Coolant flows through that intercooler to a FRONT MOUNTED heat exchanger. In effect you already have an FMIC.

What EVO did was add an auxiliary heat exchanger which is connected inline with the stock heat exchanger which makes the whole system more efficient.

What you are talking about is exactly what EVO did.

If you are saying to get rid of the stock one and the EVO one and just build 1 big one, well that's a different story.. I dont think there is enough room behind there to fit anything bigger to be honest.

I did the install myself with a couple of buddies and everything is pretty tight as it is behind there. The small heat exchanger that EVO made just barely fits..

I know you are well educated on these cars
I have been reading many of your past post made during the last yr.
You are truly the most informed and progressive person on this forum.
But...
I am a true believer in getting the heat exchanger (intercooler) away from any source of heat. As designed now, an E55 has a very inefficient setup that can be made a little better by adding a heat exchanger to the front of the car, an area that recieves the most airflow.
I think if we could throw the current air to water system in the trash and replace it with an air to air setup with plenty of flow that we could really see some major improvements.
The factory ECU is very sensative to temps.
If you want to spend money to end up with a system that may be as efficient as a fmic or tmic but that adds weight, why not spend the same money to fix the issue all together.

Last edited by E552006; 09-15-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:42 PM

2020 G550
PS
There is room under the hood, you just need to get airflow to it.
This car is really not much more compact than a Supra or 300Z but HKS and Greddy have still found ways to make their systems work.
I know you have thought about this before. I will not compromise to bad design, it needs to be fixed. It just may take some unconventional engineering
Old 09-16-2005, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
We have looked at FMIC for some time. Here are pros and cons:

Pros:

1. More efficient than air-to-water. Likely to produce more power.
2. No more worries about fluid pump failing.
3. No more worries about fluid level.

Cons:

1. No room. To install proper size air-to-air will require either cutting front bulkhead or making a new front bumper cover (major $$$$$$)

2. Plumbing, will require complete redesign of the intake manifold and intake air boxes.

3. Unknown effect of added plumbing on power and thorttle response.

4. Most 55 owners want to keep their cars as stealthy as possible under the hood.

However, I have not ruled it out yet. Since intercooler upgrade is on a Stage III level, they will likely be one-offs. I have a set of SLR style intecoolers being made for my C32, if they do not produce the gains that I am looking for - FMIC will be next design idea.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Vadim I think your system works great as is, based on the data victor is providing. The only possible improvement is a larger reservoir tank that will allow the addition of ice. What is your take on this ?

Last edited by rflow306; 09-16-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
A trunk mounted water tank for the air to water intercooler would increase the cooling capacity of the system and would also greatly extend the time and or possibly avoid the heat soak all together. You could also introdue ice into the system so you would be able to get you intake temps well below ambiant.

Last edited by BlownV8; 09-16-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:45 PM

2020 G550
Vadim
What about 2 smaller air to air units...one for each bank?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
A positive displacement blower produces the most power when it is part of the intake. You lose a great deal of efficiency when you start blowing a positive displacement blower through plumbing to an air to air intercooler. So much, in fact, that you would lose any benifits from any reduced inlet temps, if any, from making this type of change.

It is much bettter idea to improve the stock cooling system than trying to reinvent the wheel.

1. Increase the water capicity of the air to water system.
2. Increase the heat exchanger sizes so it can more effectively shed the heat.
3. Speed the water through the system so it can shed heat quicker.
4. Use compressed C02 or water to spray on the heat exchanger to help it cool quicker.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by BlownV8
A positive displacement blower produces the most power when it is part of the intake. You lose a great deal of efficiency when you start blowing a positive displacement blower through plumbing to an air to air inter-cooler. So much, in fact, that you would lose any benefit from any reduced inlet temps, if any, from making this type of change.

It is much better idea to improve the stock cooling system than trying to reinvent the wheel.

1. Increase the water capacity of the air to water system.
2. Increase the heat exchanger sizes so it can more effectively shed the heat.
3. Speed the water through the system so it can shed heat quicker.
4. Use compressed C02 or water to spray on the heat exchanger to help it cool quicker.
I agree with you, it would way to much volume to fill. This idea works best on centrifugal blowers or turbos.
The simplest way to lower IAT below ambient is to add ice. Any heads up drag class in the country is testament to that.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
This discussion sounds mighty familar. I think what McClaren did probably is the pinnacle of the design. We just need to fabricate a thinner version that fit under the hood of the e55. I have thought this problem to death and still haven't found the answer.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
I was and still am about to go with a compressed C02 Cryo kit. However there is NO room with the 2nd heat exchanger from the Evo kit. Once I am sure my car is sorted out I will get the fuel line and air chiller stuff.

http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin...gi?30X376545X0

I too wish a FMIC could be made. I had one on my S4 and it added 35 rwhp BEYOND the Euro RS4's larger IC tanks.

It cost me $1300 for a new bumper and $2600 for the FMIC set up and 10 hrs of labor, 6 which was cutting away at the bumper to make it fit....end result? A car that would beat my AMG.