Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passed on Oct delivery of new M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passed on Oct delivery of new M5

Two main reasons. First, I previously had mucho reliability issues with a first year BMW (745i). Second, after reading every review I could find there seems to be a consistent theme. Reliability and everyday drivability issues can be problematic. It's not until one gets on a track and pushes the M button do the rave reviews begin. Since I wouldn't be taking this car to a track I'm going to see what actual owners experience. The smg tranny is another issue. Seems to be jerky in auto mode and do I want to shift through seven gears. Perhaps the fact that I really love my E55 is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
I would also like to wait to see how a test drive by myself in the car would be until I decide to purchase a car. It's hard to fork out $90k for something that you haven't even driven or seen yet.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
And plus it's ugly...
Old 09-17-2005, 12:11 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
After owning 3 M3s I wouldn't have one on a bet.

I drove my wife's M3 last night and almost lost my mind. I hate everything about it except the way it goes around curves. It's not comfortable, everything rattles, and it's obnoxiously loud. And the 3 series is the most trouble free of all the BMWs. JUNK
Old 09-17-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Originally Posted by ajoe
Two main reasons. First, I previously had mucho reliability issues with a first year BMW (745i). Second, after reading every review I could find there seems to be a consistent theme. Reliability and everyday drivability issues can be problematic. It's not until one gets on a track and pushes the M button do the rave reviews begin. Since I wouldn't be taking this car to a track I'm going to see what actual owners experience. The smg tranny is another issue. Seems to be jerky in auto mode and do I want to shift through seven gears. Perhaps the fact that I really love my E55 is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
This is exactly why I passed on ordering one. Also, I fell in love with the MB interior vs the 5 series (Test drove a 05 545). 5 Series looked cheap. After driving the MB I thought I had stepped into a Honda.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:47 PM

2004 E55
I test drove a new M3 with SMG and hated it, felt like my grandma driving a manual for the first time.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
I skipped on my Oct production M5 as well. Decided to keep the E55. For somebody who does not track but enjoys effortless shifting and low end torque for city driving, E55 is a better car.

Now if M5 has the dual clutch DSG type transmission, it'll be a different story. Hello 997TT.

In the meantime, picked up a face lift 750Li. Hopefully they have ironed out the bugs by now?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by W210
I skipped on my Oct production M5 as well. Decided to keep the E55. For somebody who does not track but enjoys effortless shifting and low end torque for city driving, E55 is a better car.

Now if M5 has the dual clutch DSG type transmission, it'll be a different story. Hello 997TT.

In the meantime, picked up a face lift 750Li. Hopefully they have ironed out the bugs by now?
you should of kept the car and fliped it for a profit

by this time next year they should have the regular 6spd in the m5s and from the gearing the lack of low end dosnt really matter much

I would of kept both the m and the e55 if i had the money and a spot for one

these will be in high demand for at least two years

some wait 4 years to get a chance for this car and you gave that up lol man you could of ebayed this car for well over 100k

I was asking some questions on the next m3 at a local dealer and asked about the waiting list on the m5 and was told its a little over a year if you get on the list now
Old 09-18-2005, 10:25 AM

BMW has never been LESS reliable than MB. If you've weathered the reliability of your E-class without losing your sanity, you should be just fine with a BMW. Secondly, SMG is NOT an automatic. If you think that way you will be disapponted. SMG III is Jerky compared to an auto. tranny, but much less jerky than SMG II. You talk about "shifting through seven gears" as if it involves your left foot and right hand --->it's just a pull on the lever
Which brings me to my endpoint: Perhaps the real reason you gave up on the M5 is because of the looks....can't argue with that!!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Tired of flipping

Originally Posted by skratch77

by this time next year they should have the regular 6spd in the m5s and from the gearing the lack of low end dosnt really matter much

some wait 4 years to get a chance for this car and you gave that up lol man you could of ebayed this car for well over 100k

I was asking some questions on the next m3 at a local dealer and asked about the waiting list on the m5 and was told its a little over a year if you get on the list now
The 6-speed will quite likely accelerate the depreciation of the SMG by next year.

Honestly, if capital appreciation was the only driving force behind this little hobby, I would not have considered these sedans. May be a 430 or just wait for the 997TT. It's fun to make a little money when the market is hot (I bought and sold a 360 a few years back), but flipping also brings much headache.

Sometimes it's just too much of a hassle to properly fix up a car (V1, LE30, iPod, phone, break-in, or even putting on proper tires or speakers, etc.) and then just when your car is perfect, you have to start worrying about selling it.

Flipping is ok, but the only way to maximize the profit (at least where I am) is to get rid of the car within a month or you would not get your taxes refund.

And flipping only works on the brand new cars, which means I'll always have to join the beta-testing team. Not the most fun, look at those guys on various forums with first year cars helping each other trouble shoot.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:58 AM

300E
Ajoe, If you don't mind I ask:
What color is your ordered M5 and with what options? Do you already called the dealer to cancel it? Is there anyway I can take over? Thanks Ajoe.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:41 PM

RE: M5 order

The dealer called me to place my order. Was on the waiting list for at least 4 years. I had my doubts going in, but when the general mgr and service mgr both said that when considering the problems I had with other first year bmw's I should wait a year I listened to their advice. Of course they knew they could sell their first deliveries very easily to other buyers. I also owned one of the first m3's and I agree totally with a previous poster. It was a total piece of junk with the same problems he mentioned.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:00 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by RezF
BMW has never been LESS reliable than MB. If you've weathered the reliability of your E-class without losing your sanity, you should be just fine with a BMW. Secondly, SMG is NOT an automatic. If you think that way you will be disapponted. SMG III is Jerky compared to an auto. tranny, but much less jerky than SMG II. You talk about "shifting through seven gears" as if it involves your left foot and right hand --->it's just a pull on the lever
Which brings me to my endpoint: Perhaps the real reason you gave up on the M5 is because of the looks....can't argue with that!!
MB have glitchy electronics, BMWs blow motors. I'll take my minor problems any day. And don't tell me that the BMW engine deal is overstated, I personally have replaced 3 engines in 2 BMWs, one 745i and 2 M3s.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vetluver
MB have glitchy electronics, BMWs blow motors. I'll take my minor problems any day. And don't tell me that the BMW engine deal is overstated, I personally have replaced 3 engines in 2 BMWs, one 745i and 2 M3s.
You're obviously an intelligent person, and should interpret "statisitcs" accordingly. STATISTICALLY speaking, MBs have had FAR MORE PROBLEMS, (not just glitches as you'd like to call them) than BMWs. Most of MBs problems have affected their cars globally leading me to interpet this as a legitimate quality control problem. Outside of your experience, I have never heard of a 745 engine blowing up. I had heard of anecdotal tales of M3 engines blowing up at the track, but I would chalk that up as inexperienced drivers in a high-revving engine, BECAUSE it has not been an "epidemic" (for lack of a better word).
As for your experience, your driving style obviously better suits the low revving high torquing engine of an MB
Old 09-18-2005, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vetluver
Yeah, and I remember that old 4 liters V8 having some initial problems in the US too.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by RezF
You're obviously an intelligent person, and should interpret "statisitcs" accordingly. STATISTICALLY speaking, MBs have had FAR MORE PROBLEMS, (not just glitches as you'd like to call them) than BMWs. Most of MBs problems have affected their cars globally leading me to interpet this as a legitimate quality control problem. Outside of your experience, I have never heard of a 745 engine blowing up. I had heard of anecdotal tales of M3 engines blowing up at the track, but I would chalk that up as inexperienced drivers in a high-revving engine, BECAUSE it has not been an "epidemic" (for lack of a better word).
As for your experience, your driving style obviously better suits the low revving high torquing engine of an MB
Yes, so BMW offered 100k engine warranties to ease customer's minds because no engines were blowing up.
As for commenting on "inexperience" there are DOCUMENTED cases of engine failures which had SMG. This has nothing to do with inexperience, considering SMG will not downshift if the revs will be beyond operating range.
Many of these failures were due to faulty engine bearings. There was a recall on engines that were built with these bearings, causing M3 owners much grief and downtime while their engine bearings were replaced. If this is "anecdotal", then BMW must take "anecdotal" evidence VERY seriously.
Moreover, there were other failures that ocurred outside the production range with the faulty bearing.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:06 PM

medici78,

I am not here justifying a case that BMWs are superior to Mbs. I have been on the record a few times noting that each company has its merits.
What I would like to discuss are the seemingly overlooked MB quality control problems by some members, almost as if they are in denial. The "extended warranty" that you have mentioned was, quite frankly, a postivie PR maneuver by BMW to let it's customers know that THEY stand by their cars and customers should a problem happen in the first 100,000 miles. I have 14 friends with E46 M3s and NONE of them had an engine blow up. What each received in the mail was a letter from BMWNA stating that they stand behind their product, and to show it, BMW would extend the warranty free of charge to 100000 miles

What does MB do when there is a 500,000 WORLDWIDE vehicle recall on the SBC?? They dumnped the Full Maintenace plan and did NOTHING else to ease the minds of customers!

Now, can you see the differences between the two companies on how they deal with their customers and how they go about backing up their products??
Old 09-18-2005, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
you guys also think that all bmw engines blow up because of the s54 problems.That was there only engine that was prone to blowing up...Please stop using that example for all other bmw models.

bmw just put out a 2 liter 4 banger that makes 138hp/l and im sure that engine will be the next one on the list for you guys to bash all over when a few start blowing up here and there

the new 320 touring makes 275hp with a 2.0l inline4
Old 09-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Almost a Member!

I have to agree. You basically could have gotten a 6 month free test drive, assuming your order was for MSRP.

If you had an October delivery, you could have bought the car and driven it for 6 months or so. If you didn't like it, you could probably have sold it for more than you paid for it. Dealers in California are asking up to $25,000 over MSRP.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A lot of dealers make you sign something along the lines of you not reselling the car within a year.

I have no idea if that's legal though.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
A lot of dealers make you sign something along the lines of you not reselling the car within a year.

I have no idea if that's legal though.
I know but the sad part is BMW is flipping the car and selling it over msrp

just like the ferrari dealers

they sell a car to a person that works there and then he gives it back so the car is now used so they resell it WAY over msrp
Old 09-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sad or not, that's they way they are doing business.
Still not sure, is that legal though?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:47 AM

I wouldnt say that BMW generally blows engines. There was the M3 which was quite bad and maybe the 7-series (dont know about that) but apart from that the performance engines have been reliable. I mean, how many blown e39 M5 engines are there?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:00 AM

you guys also think that all bmw engines blow up because of the s54 problems.That was there only engine that was prone to blowing up...Please stop using that example for all other bmw models.

bmw just put out a 2 liter 4 banger that makes 138hp/l and im sure that engine will be the next one on the list for you guys to bash all over when a few start blowing up here and there

the new 320 touring makes 275hp with a 2.0l inline4
No way in NA form, in which case the stat is pointless, more like 175hp
Old 09-19-2005, 04:33 AM

E63 biturbo

When I test drove the M5, I felt that the 7-speed SMG was much smoother than that of the M3. It was definitely an improvement drivability-wise over the M3, although it is still not as smooth as an automatic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passed on Oct delivery of new M5