Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E 55 smells like gas.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 55 smells like gas.....

Around two weeks ago I picked up my E from the dealer half way to my house it started smelling like gas I thought it was that I was in back of someone with a bad gas leak. I got home and then the next day it didn't happen again. Now today two weeks later it did it again. The smell of gas comes in by the vents and when you stand outside the car you can smell it too. It smells like if it's coming from the back of the car but not sure though.
ANY IDEAS?
Old 10-08-2005, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Perhaps the sulfur odor we get once in a blue moon... not sure exactly what it could be. Have the dealer inspect its cause.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by ALEX_E55
Around two weeks ago I picked up my E from the dealer half way to my house it started smelling like gas I thought it was that I was in back of someone with a bad gas leak. I got home and then the next day it didn't happen again. Now today two weeks later it did it again. The smell of gas comes in by the vents and when you stand outside the car you can smell it too. It smells like if it's coming from the back of the car but not sure though.
ANY IDEAS?
If you are smelling *** and not gas..............change your underwear :p

But if it is GAS GET IT CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY

I watched my friends 04 viper burn to the ground after he been noticing a gas smell for a few days and still drove it! (From new to burned @ 18 miles)
Old 10-08-2005, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by ALEX_E55
ANY IDEAS?
I get it too, and a buddy of mine with another E55 as well. Smells like aircon gas is leaking out. Freaks me out. I think we should get it checked by a dealer, only to be told "it's normal" ie. we haven't got a friggin idea how to fix it...
Old 10-08-2005, 11:01 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Alex E55, I had the same thing come up recently with my CL55. Believe it or not ... I didn't have the gas cap tightened down properly. I would have normally thought that it would have caused a CEL, but it didn't. I would notice it the most after standing on it and then coming to a stoplight. My theory is that to keep pressure up with the gas cap not being tight, there is more fuel flow rate going through some of the asundery fuel lines.

If you do have a leak, there will be kinda' a crusty white powdery residue in the area where the leak occurs and the gas trickles off ... very scary if this is noted near the exhaust system.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 10-08-2005 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by mclarenm8d
Alex E55, I had the same thing come up recently with my CL55. Believe it or not ... I didn't have the gas cap tightened down properly. I would have normally thought that it would have caused a CEL, but it didn't. I would notice it the most after standing on it and then coming to a stoplight. My theory is that to keep pressure up with the gas cap not being tight, there is more fuel flow rate going through some of the asundery fuel lines.

If you do have a leak, there will be kinda' a crusty white powdery residue in the area where the leak occurs and the gas trickles off ... very scary if this is noted near the exhaust system.
We think its "gas" as in aircon not "gas" as in gasoline. But you could be right too. I noticed it's worse when my fuel tank is full to the rim.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by amgdriven
If you are smelling *** and not gas..............change your underwear :p

But if it is GAS GET IT CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY

I watched my friends 04 viper burn to the ground after he been noticing a gas smell for a few days and still drove it! (From new to burned @ 18 miles)
Hey Alex E55..................after reviewing my post to you.............I realize how stupid the whole underwear thing sounded...........I apologize

Anyway...............is there an EGR valve on the W211?...........Ford (Jaguar) had the same problem with the charcoal canister and EGR (Exhaust Gas Recycler) The EGR valve would take unburned (sometimes burned) exhaust gases and recycle them back into the intake. The Charcoal canister helped stop the smell of fuel and exhaust throughout other functions of the emission system(I HOPE TO GOD our Mercedes does a better job of this method)

anyway.............my .02 (and apology)
Old 10-12-2005, 03:22 AM

'05 E55, HRE 847R's black centers, black grille
I had the same problem

They had to replace my fuel line. You may want to have them check that out. They told me it wwas my fault and that I must have hit something.....bull*****. They fixed it anyway and they covered it as a "favor". My car smelled like gas for like 6 weeks and still kinda does. By the way, my dealership sucks.