W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AquaMist, Good or Bad for Gen 1 HPS system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
AquaMist, Good or Bad for Gen 1 HPS system?

I just installed a HPS gen 1 supercharger. The car runs an pulls great. I bought the gen 1 because they seem to have a trouble free record compared to the Gen 2 and it was cheaper. I'm a little worried when summer comes around about heat. Do you think Aquamist might be an option? Right now everything is great because the weather is low 60's.
Thank you,
Mario
Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I would be careful with that system.You might want to read this thread :https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/123972-beware-hps-adam-f-lies.html.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by E55Cent
I just installed a HPS gen 1 supercharger. The car runs an pulls great. I bought the gen 1 because they seem to have a trouble free record compared to the Gen 2 and it was cheaper. I'm a little worried when summer comes around about heat. Do you think Aquamist might be an option? Right now everything is great because the weather is low 60's.
Thank you,
Mario
Congrats!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Aquamist is a GREAT option. I am trying to finalize my long project with a custom twin pump Aquamist based kit. If you search the forum for Aquamist you will find my thread.

The HPS system is a centrifugal blower I believe which makes it much easier to use something like Aquamist.

Water has great heat absorption properties. I'll post some hard data once my kit is running.

Thank you,
Mario
Old 10-21-2005, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Considering the Gen 1 kit puts out less boost, an aftercooler will probably just slow you down (as well as necessitate a lot of $$ in custom plumbing). Aqua mist might be a good idea. You also might want to look into a custom aluminum radiator. It won't lower your intake air charge temps, but it will definitely help out with engine temps. My car runs cool even post-s/c but I'm still going to get an aluminum radiator made. Every little bit helps :0)

Last edited by Josh K; 10-21-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by vrus
Aquamist is a GREAT option. I am trying to finalize my long project with a custom twin pump Aquamist based kit. If you search the forum for Aquamist you will find my thread.

The HPS system is a centrifugal blower I believe which makes it much easier to use something like Aquamist.

Water has great heat absorption properties. I'll post some hard data once my kit is running.
The HPS Gen 1 is a Easton Roots style but it sits on the side like a typical Vortec, Paxton or Procharger, so doing the Aquamist will be just as easy as a centrifugal type. I have friends that have Aquamist on ther supercharged Vettes, Bimmer and small 4cyl turbo cars and all of them have nothing but good things to say about the system.
Mario
Old 10-21-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by C43AMG
I would be careful with that system.You might want to read this thread :https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123972.
I have read that thread and spoken to Sean. I have the Generation 1, not the Gen2. There are about 200 Gen 1's out there and only a hand full of Gen 2's. Hopefully I will be safe with my choice.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I have read that thread and spoken to Sean. I have the Generation 1, not the Gen2. There are about 200 Gen 1's out there and only a hand full of Gen 2's. Hopefully I will be safe with my choice.
Just tryin' to look out for you.Good luck with your system.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by C43AMG
Just tryin' to look out for you.Good luck with your system.
Thank your for gettin my back. So far I'm very happy, can't wait to get the dyno results.
Mario
Old 10-21-2005, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The problem with the Gen 1 HPS system is that it uses a blower that is too small for the E55. I believe it uses the Eaton M90. You really need the m112 for maximum efficiency but I don't think it will fit the space how they have it mounted. This company also makes a methanol/water injection kit: http://www.snowperformance.net/

I'd would run some kind of chemical intercooler with that little Eaton. It builds a lot of heat....especially when it has to push the air through plumbing like the gen 1 HPS system. A positive displacement blower is not very effective when it has to push through a pipe before it gets to the intake. I read somewhere that you lose 20% of the effectiveness by pushing through plumbing before the intake vs pushing directly into the intake.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 PM

I had the Gen I on a C43 and was very happy with it. I live in Dallas and never had problems with the summer heat. I should also note, that I did not drive the car as hard in the summer.

Honestly, I would not mess around with it (i.e. intercoolers, mist kit etc.). HPS built a pretty solid kit with the Gen 1 and the supercharger is quite reliable. As soon as you start adding custom stuff you are opening a can of worms. If anything, I would consider getting some Kleemann headers.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had the Gen I on a C43 and was very happy with it. I live in Dallas and never had problems with the summer heat. I should also note, that I did not drive the car as hard in the summer.
The M90 is perfectly sized for the 4.3 L engine in the C43 but it's a stretch for an E55. There is no way that I'd ever run a non-intercooled roots blower on any of my cars. A roots produces way too much heat at anything over 4 to 5 psi. Then again, I think that's what the HPS Gen 1 blower produced in your C43. To make it produce the same boost in an E55, you'd have to spin it faster and when doing so you would create more heat.

Get chemical intercooling before you have some serious preignition problems.

Last edited by BlownV8; 10-22-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:56 AM

E430,S500
Mario,

Congratulations on getting the HPS system.

I've been trying to reach you about the headlights. Can you give me a call.

Craig.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by prof.griff
Mario,

Congratulations on getting the HPS system.

I've been trying to reach you about the headlights. Can you give me a call.

Craig.
I know, I'm sorry about that. I took a break from life for a month. The lights have been sent off, a while ago. I spoke to Ben. Everything is back to normal.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
The M90 is perfectly sized for the 4.3 L engine in the C43 but it's a stretch for an E55. There is no way that I'd ever run a non-intercooled roots blower on any of my cars. A roots produces way too much heat at anything over 4 to 5 psi. Then again, I think that's what the HPS Gen 1 blower produced in your C43. To make it produce the same boost in an E55, you'd have to spin it faster and when doing so you would create more heat.

Get chemical intercooling before you have some serious preignition problems.
What do you suggest I do, besides replacing the whole kit. I live near the beach so it is about 75 degree's all year long. I do go to Las Vegas and AZ often so I was thinking of the Aquamist for this reason. What do you think of the Aquamist? I don't want to build an aftercooler because that would mean spinning the blower even faster to get the same amount of boost into the motor.
Mario
Old 10-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Sorry Blown V8, I just read your first post. I will look Monday for a Water/Meth kit. Thank you for your advice. I was wondering what distance the sprayer should be located between the Air Mass and the intake of the motor near the firewall?
Mario
Old 10-22-2005, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't want to build an aftercooler because that would mean spinning the blower even faster to get the same amount of boost into the motor.
A good intercooler weither it's an air to air or an air to water will not cause much pressure drop at your boost level. Even if it is slight, the new air will be much cooler and denser so you will make more hp per/lb of boost. I think an aquamist system would be fine or a Snowperformance kit would also be fine. You may be ok with your current set-up and my previous bold face type may have been a bit harsh......... but, I know that I wouldn't take that risk with such an expensive motor.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what distance the sprayer should be located between the Air Mass and the intake of the motor near the firewall?
Ask the company you chose what you should do with their system and sprayer nozzles. I would tap into your current windshield washer resevoir so you will have a system with a large capicity as well as a built in warning device when the meth/water gets low. Most windshield washer fluid is already a 50/50 meth/water mix so if you are in a bind it will work just fine.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Ask the company you chose what you should do with their system and sprayer nozzles. I would tap into your current windshield washer resevoir so you will have a system with a large capicity as well as a built in warning device when the meth/water gets low. Most windshield washer fluid is already a 50/50 meth/water mix so if you are in a bind it will work just fine.
So you are saying I could use $1.99 gallon bottle of windshield washer from PepBoys, and it would be fine? Crazy!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So you are saying I could use $1.99 gallon bottle of windshield washer from PepBoys, and it would be fine? Crazy!
Yes, but that's expensive. Most of the stuff I see is around 99 cents for a gallon bottle. You can buy methanol and mix your own and it won't leave your intake with a blue dye residue.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:15 PM

I really wouldn't be too worried about it. Many people have had the Generation 1 on the 5.4 engine without a problem. I really think the only problems you may potentially have would be self induced, namely through custom intercooler, faster pulley and the like...
Old 10-22-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
I really wouldn't be too worried about it. Many people have had the Generation 1 on the 5.4 engine without a problem. I really think the only problems you may potentially have would be self induced, namely through custom intercooler, faster pulley and the like...
I understand what your are saying, but I don't want to do anything extreme. I would like just to lower the intake temps a little and I have seen and heard many success stories with Aquamist type and style units. I'm very happy with the power and the cool whine under boost.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
So you finally pulled the triger on the Gen 1, did you purchased it from Greg C? Gotta holler at you when I'm in Oxnard cuz I luv to check it out. You line up against Jason's Viper yet? Good luck...

As for the Aquamist unit, I installed the 1s kit on the Gen II system and it worked real well by bumping the PSI 1-1.5, depending on the outside temp. I was using the 0.7mm nozzle and adjust the pressure switch to spray at approx. 3PSI, the tuning part is tedious but once you get it at the desired level the results are good. ECS has a alky/meth kit (mostly for vette application) but I like their kit design over the Aquamist.

I took a couple of pictures during the install, not sure if I still have the entire set...well here's a few or give me a call when your ready to do your install.

AquaMist, Good or Bad for Gen 1 HPS system?-dsc00568.jpg

AquaMist, Good or Bad for Gen 1 HPS system?-dsc00566.jpg
I added a switch to shut off the system.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Richard023
So you finally pulled the triger on the Gen 1, did you purchased it from Greg C? Gotta holler at you when I'm in Oxnard cuz I luv to check it out. You line up against Jason's Viper yet? Good luck...

As for the Aquamist unit, I installed the 1s kit on the Gen II system and it worked real well by bumping the PSI 1-1.5, depending on the outside temp. I was using the 0.7mm nozzle and adjust the pressure switch to spray at approx. 3PSI, the tuning part is tedious but once you get it at the desired level the results are good. ECS has a alky/meth kit (mostly for vette application) but I like their kit design over the Aquamist.

I took a couple of pictures during the install, not sure if I still have the entire set...well here's a few or give me a call when your ready to do your install.

I added a switch to shut off the system.

Hey Rich, long time no talk. I'm back with life, I just needed some time away from everything.... but long story.
Thanks for the advice and I will call you to get the number of the best place to get the kit. It seems like a very simple and should work perfect for what I want.
As far as the Viper, we are going to set up race on video to see the results. Jason just put new 20" HRE's with some stickier tires on the Viper. He is hoping it will help his take off.
Talk to you later
Mario
Old 10-26-2005, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Hey Mario,

I'm glad to hear your back from MIA How are things?

My vette is at Andy's shop, so I hope to pick it up sometime next week...I'll give you call, let's do lunch (anything buy sushi ).

I still got your old video against the 20+PSI SRT-4, you need to settle that score first before Jason's Viper...BTW, Jason must be rackin up those pimp points with that red "torque-monster".

My source for the Aquamist is Discovery Automotive, Bill K. (the owner) is a BMW freak...so you both have something in common

Aside from actually retrofitting an intercooler on the Gen I (too bad I sold my upgraded HE & Bosch pump), yes the methanol injection does reduce IATs, on my Gen II setup approx. 30 degrees F. However, IMHO the Gen II intercooler core & heat exchanger (actually a Earl's oil cooler ) takes an eternity to reject accumulated heat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AquaMist, Good or Bad for Gen 1 HPS system?