W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

My 635 mile trip in my M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 230K Coupé
Don't forget that the E55 looks way better than the new "bangled up" M5. No matter how much I look at them I can't stop wishing for the old design to come back. The v10 under the hood is a monster though....
Old 10-30-2005, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Well, *these* guys like the new M5, although...

...they are getting royalties from BMW's styling department, after all!!

Old 10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by Improviz

Now, that **** is funny!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
[QUOTE=Improviz]...they are getting royalties from BMW's styling department, after all!!

Isn't that the new 5 series high-light convertible?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Almost a Member!

02 C32 AMG 05 E55 AMG
very very nice car..i love it! how was the drive? i had to drive the e55 down from Vancouver to San Fran on Monday...700 miles!! I bet you loved those curvy turns!
Originally Posted by krispykrme
Just got back from Oregon with My M5.

Wow! This is by far the best 4 door sedan there is. Simple as that.

Three gripes thus far.

1. Lack of low end puch in P400 mode. Under 3,000 RPM in P400 mode M5's output is really mediocre at best. But above that, this engine really cooks, sound nice too.

2. Lack of trunk closer option. This is one option that i really missed. I loved this on the E55 and BMW to me dropped the ball on this.

3. Small gas tank. M5 is a thirsty beast. Even at constant 80mph cruise back from oregon. The gas mileage is in the low 14 (far worse than my E55). Couple with small tank, i can barely get 200 miles on the tank before the reserve fuel waring pops up. At highway cruise, there is no way you can get 300 miles from a single tank. Which means you have to constantly stop for gas!!!!

Other than these three issues, the M5 outshines E55 in everything else.

M5 steering response is far more linear than E55. In addition, this thing love corners and grips is far superior than E55.

SMGIII is vastly improved than SMGII. A lot of jerkiness in the SMGII has been removed in SMGIII. Moreover, I complained very hard on the SMGII delay in down****ing more than 2 gears at once, this has been dramatically reduced in SMGIII. In fact during the trip back from oregon i can easily downshift from 7th to 4th and SMGIII would oblige very quickly. Overall, i think SMGIII has spell the death of true manual. SMGIII is that good. It made SMGII looks like 1000 year old design.

I-drve+voice command is now by far the best interface on the market. I have stated from beginning that I prefered I-drive over command. Because once you get used to the menus, its very easy to use and you don't even need to take your eyes off the road. This is still true. However, BMW's voice recognition has come a long way. In fact for daily use, you don't even need to use the I-drive knob any more.

A lot of people on this board complains about lack of key pad to key in phone numbers in I-drive. But why use a key pad when you can now dictate the phone numbers. Three voice command.

1. Telephone- brings the i-drive into phone menu.
2. Dial number (you can dictate the phone number one digit by one digit or you can give it as a sequence).
3. Dial.

Viola you just made 1st phone call using 3 verbal command. No need the use of i-drive knob, no key pad. I-drive and voice recognition really trumps command and japanese interface. Whoever designed BMW voice recognition deserve a nobel prize. It is that good. The recognition capability is by far the best out there. Better than Lexus/Fujustu voice recognition.

The new M5 handles very similar to the M3. It very nimble and as a driver you never feel the weight of M5's mass. My wife took a quick lap after i got home and commented that M5 feels lighter and much more nimble than the E55.

Also during my 635 drive back, with EDC at softest setting. M5 rides just as good as E55 on the highway. I was not expecting that M5 would be a great long distance cruiser. But i was so wrong on that. M5 at P400 mode and EDC at softest setting, really peformed just as well as E55 as highway cruiser.

Overall, M5 is too far ahead of E55. It can be as gental as E55 as daily cruiser and changes couple setting, you have a track car ready. I can't wait until my 1200 miles break in is done. That 500 HP with MDM transform an already capable car to the next level.

This is what a true sportsedan should be. The new M5 totally outclassed E55. I don't care what other E55 owners says. The M5 is just as good as E55 as highway cruiser. M5 has way better dynamics than E55. Now the I-drive/voice recognition is light year ahead of command. For $94k, this is the best sports sedan that money can buy right now. E55 will always have advantage in low end punch and ease of mod for straightline performance. But everything else, M5 is simply in a class of its own.

Now comes mandatory picture that i took today while at rest stop at redding this afternoon.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:07 PM

Trunk closer option a must have?

Krispy, only someone who constantly has both hands full of food would consider the trunk closer a necessary option. The lack of low end punch is the exact reason I passed on the M5 when my BMW dealer called. When it comes to daily driving in my neck of the woods, low end punch is where the fun is.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Received 524 Likes on 112 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by ajoe
Krispy, only someone who constantly has both hands full of food would consider the trunk closer a necessary option.
Wow Krispy, you have to admit, this is a very good point.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:08 PM

'05 C55 Black/Black Lighting, Premium, NAV
Wow! This is a subjective opinion from an antagonist who is here to incite, not the Word of God. Simple as that.
Give the guy a break. It is his opinion. He owns both cars. He has driven both cars. Have you? If the was DerekFSU that posted this no one would have said a thing.

I come to these boards because I am car enthusiast. How old are you? Are you that insecure by some one saying their car is better than yours? You going to beat him up now? Grow up already.

Mez
Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by mez456
Give the guy a break. It is his opinion. He owns both cars. He has driven both cars. Have you? If the was DerekFSU that posted this no one would have said a thing.

I come to these boards because I am car enthusiast. How old are you? Are you that insecure by some one saying their car is better than yours? You going to beat him up now? Grow up already.

Mez
How about E55 and M5 Demolition Derby style?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
damn krispy you drove right by my house dog, you should of pm'd me buddy, I would of met you at the stealership and we could of had some fun. :v
Old 10-30-2005, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"

hey man! the original batmobile (which i think was a Lincoln concept car prior to its TV life - i could be wrong) is super-cooooollllll... not to be taken in vain in an aesthetic comparison with bangle's swinish manifestations!

c'mon now, credit where it's due: lincoln and barris had their finger on a righteous pulse when they made that batmobile. where bangle's finger was when he designed the current line of bimmers, well... i for one don't wanna know!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Hi Mez

I just want to chime in here - While I think that Improviz does go a bit overboard sometimes, he really is onto something here. Just do a search on Krispykreme and several of the other trolls that lurk here. There is a consistent bias in all of his/their posts that, in my humble opinion, are designed to flame, antogonize, or whatever you want to call it.

If some of their posts were pro MB, extolling some virtues that they liked about the E55 or other, then one would read their posts with interest, but when its obvious to most that they are hell bent on walking into your home day after day and saying "my dad can lick your dad", after a while it sure gets annoying and irritating.

Notice that I just posted the scanned pages from the Aussie mag on the M5 vs CLS55 comparison. Notice that none of us rushed over to the M5 forum and posted it there. That would be antogonistic

A lot of us lurk at many forums. Many of us post. And some troll.

Bye the way I dont dislike the M5 in any form or fashion - I think its one helluva car and is likesly to beat the pants of my E55 (in certain aspects. In fact I even like some of the styling cues (no accounting for my taste).

just my $0.02
Siswati
Old 10-30-2005, 11:16 PM

03 E55
I'm sure it's nice, but I think it's ugly. Sorry, just MHO. Congrats tho'
Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Give the guy a break. It is his opinion.
Yes, and it is my opinion that he's a trolling osshole who is here only to incite people, and if you actually take the time, as I have, to scan his posts, you'll see a pattern. He constantly talks up BMWs, talks down Mercedes, and attacks and insults anyone who disagrees with him. This is a textbook case of trolling.

He owns both cars. He has driven both cars. Have you?
Not yet. I can promise you, though, that when I do, I won't be going to an M5 forum telling people how bad their cars suck, how much better Mercedes is, etc., as fatboy does here.

If the was DerekFSU that posted this no one would have said a thing.
Yes, and why do you suppose that is? Perhaps because Derek is polite and doesn't constantly insult the Mercedes enthusiasts who frequent these boards and tell them their cars suck, do ya think??

I come to these boards because I am car enthusiast.
So do I. And I don't get enthusiastic about people trolling here trying to start flamefests by repeating, ad nauseum, how bad Mercedes sucks compared to BMW, basically using this forum to run a free negative advertising campaign as proxies for BMW, and then insulting and flaming those of us who are enthusiastic about our cars.

How old are you?
Old enough to know what I'm talking about and not idiotically defend an anti-Mercedes troll as you are presently doing.

Are you that insecure by some one saying their car is better than yours?
No, I am that annoyed at rude, boorish, childish, trite behavior. Perhaps you enjoy it, but if you'd pay a bit of attention here, you might notice that I am not exactly alone in my observations about lardass nor in my criticism of him.

You going to beat him up now? Grow up already.

Mez
I am grown up, and I know what I'm talking about here. Pull your head out, stop jumping to uninformed conclusions, read some of lardass's posts, and maybe you'll see why he's about as popular here as a case of herpes.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
Improviz does not go off on anyone who doesnt deserve it. If, as was suggested, you do a search on Krispy and even a few other select members(unfortunate) who have gotten into it with him, you will see that there is a lot of validity to Improviz's posts. He makes sure things are fair, a lot of people try to pull fast ones what with all the cherry picking of data and bashing of Mercedes that goes on here. He's a valued member here and doesnt react as he does without merit.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:12 AM

Unlike kryspy, this ohter dude took delivery of M5 as well but instead of posting BS the dude actually gives good advice. Kryspy is like a very chubby angry 300lb chihuahua and nothing more.
Read and learn, clown:

Author:
PeterE60M5 on 2005-10-28 at 01:45:40 (posted from: Host: ool-435195c7.dyn.optonline.net IP: 67.81.149.199)

Subject:
Took delivery today (414 views) (753 thread views)

The demand is not there on the M5. Any of you even CONSIDERING paying over invoice should have your heads examined.

I was number 6 on the wait list. Then I got a call last week telling me I had been bumped to number two and my car was available this week.

I also noticed, that NUMBER 9 on the list (posted in managers office) was now number 3.

Also, there are two dealers in Northern Jersey alone with M5's in the showrooms, available for immediate delivery.

My dealer can take an order today and have the car for January delivery. Great car, and if you want one tomorrow, they are out there. Kind of scary for BMW in the same week the car hits the showrooms.

Still, I love mine!

Last edited by Belmondo; 10-31-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:02 AM

ML350 '06
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
If I let people see me driving in that eyesore, I wouldn't want to live another day

...ditto!

PS That Batmobile had me cracking up Improviz!!! :p Someone had posted a picture of a dragqueen with a pair of obnoxious glasess on - it pretty much summed up BMW's new 5-series looks
Old 10-31-2005, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
The problem w/ krispy is - I think he actully believes the crap he posts, its unfortunate but what are you going to do?
Also, regarding M5 yea there some cool stuff about it, but unless your bored and have alot of cash why get it, if you have a E55 already? you know what i mean.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by siswati
Notice that I just posted the scanned pages from the Aussie mag on the M5 vs CLS55 comparison. Notice that none of us rushed over to the M5 forum and posted it there. That would be antogonistic...

just my $0.02
Siswati
Very well said!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:01 AM

Yes, and it is my opinion that he's a trolling osshole who is here only to incite people, and if you actually take the time, as I have, to scan his posts, you'll see a pattern. He constantly talks up BMWs, talks down Mercedes, and attacks and insults anyone who disagrees with him. This is a textbook case of trolling.
I could have sworn you were describing yourself...
Old 10-31-2005, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
Improviz does not go off on anyone who doesnt deserve it. If, as was suggested, you do a search on Krispy and even a few other select members(unfortunate) who have gotten into it with him, you will see that there is a lot of validity to Improviz's posts. He makes sure things are fair, a lot of people try to pull fast ones what with all the cherry picking of data and bashing of Mercedes that goes on here. He's a valued member here and doesnt react as he does without merit.
Quite agree, these debates can get ugly, but at the end of the day, I certainly respect those who spend their time defending the common passion than the handful who come here on a mission to 'enlighten' us.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I don't get it .... if someone posts something to incite the forum why does everyone jump and take the bait !!!????

Let them be, and soon enough they will lose interest if they get no response.

Even so I think Krispy has a right to say what he thinks ... after all he owns both cars !!!

I think the M5 & E55 are 2 great cars - which is better - WTF who cares ???

Can anyone on the forum be satisfied and confident enough with their purchase not have to defend their purchase as soon as someone questions it ?

Too many people in the world with too many different opinions for them all to think alike .... and thank goodness for that !!!

Rgds Steve
Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

KK, congrats on your new ride

I am sure you are one happy rider now

but IMHO they could have donw a better job with that dash! not sure about at night though
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 AM

'05 C55 Black/Black Lighting, Premium, NAV
Again,

Who cares? If he is a troll don't you think he gets off in getting you worked up? By your posts it is obvious you formulate your arguments well and back them up with facts. Why waste the time?

Mez
Old 10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mardeth
I could have sworn you were describing yourself...
What truly twisted logic...so, from your perspective, only the people who attack the anti-Mercedes, pro-BMW trolls are the bad guys, while the people who attack Mercedes and its owners are the good guys.

How dare I defend Mercedes in a Mercedes forum! What was I thinking??

Edit: despite your previous protestations to the contrary, it is sometimes most instructive to take a look at one's posting history. So I took a few minutes to examine your posting history as well...why am I not surprised that it's chock full of high praise for BMWs? In every instance where any comparison to the M5 was made, guess which side you came down on? Hypocrite's posting history:

So with that in mind, your defense of donutboy and attack of me suddenly become a bit more transparent.

Last edited by Improviz; 10-31-2005 at 12:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 635 mile trip in my M5