W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battle of the wagons....Magnum SRT8 VS E55.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Battle of the wagons....Magnum SRT8 VS E55.

Motor trend pulled 12.2 with stock 55 Estate. What is it bout those wagons...incredible!!

Course you know the AMG cooks the SRT8....

Article

Old 11-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS63 AMG
Wow, amazing wagons. The SRT-8 Magnum didn't do too bad considering it costs less than half of the E55 MSRP. The E55 trap speed is incredible!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
The wagon has more weight over the drive wheels and so it hooks up better and gets better acceleration times in many cases.

SRT8 still doesnt measure up IMO.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
But if I had to buy one, it would be the SRT, I mean, that pricetag.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
SRT8 still doesnt measure up IMO.
Its less than half the price. I think it more than measures up. Im wishing and hoping that car is coming here too...

The times are VERY impressive, trap speeds not that mutch.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Like I said, IMO.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
pricetag, schmeisetag...

believe me, if money isn't the decision driver (and maybe even if it is...), you'll roll the AMG once you get a look 'n feel of the two cars. the dodge is sort of cool, in a trendy-this-year-plastic-the-next sort of way, and the interior doesn't measure up either. if performance is the main driver, it probably won't make much difference. still, while the AMG will still look inspired 5-10 years from now (even a '95 300T wagon still looks great, especially in black), the SRT will just look... tired. and plastic. like it does already.

and i'm not sour-grapes because i un-assed the big bucks for the AMG; i could've waited but the dodge just doesn't work at all for me styling-wise. plus, sitting in its high-silled interior is like sitting inside a tank. or a hummer H2. and as plastic as the latter... no thanks!

v
Old 11-11-2005, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Speaking of plastic, crappy interiors here's a funny story. So, my in-laws are both from Italy and are serious flag wavers LOL. The classic American dream story. Limited education, came here as teens, couldn't speak the language, worked hard, and now...well, let's say they're doing OK! Anyway, they would have never thought of buying anything but an American car. Finally, my mother in law, who knows nothing and cares even less about cars says she wants to look at other stuff. So last Saturday I take her out to look at cars. There's a road not 10 minutes away that basically has every car maker right next to each other. She already told me she hates the Chrysler 300 and all the current Cadillac's.

So, first stop is the Audi dealer. We're checking out the A6 and I don't really think she's digging it (there was a Gallardo in the showroom that had me drooling. Tried to get her to go for that but no dice. She did think it was "cute"). She did comment on how nice the interior was (especially when she peeked in the A8). Next we go to an Infiniti dealer where she is looking at the M35. Let me tell you something, the M45 is really nice. She thought she really liked the Infiniti before we got there from seeing some on the road but wasn't blown away. One thing to remember is that I don't think she ever really ever picked out her own car. Her husband would just buy it. I think this was all a little overhwelming for her. Next stop is the BMW dealer. One look at the 5 series interior did it. Next we go to my dealer where my salesguy happens to be working. She wants AWD so she's looking at an E350 4matic. He convinces her to take one out for a spin and I thought she was going to have a heart attack. I also doubt she ever test drove a car before. Anyway, she liked it. Next stop is to Acura and a look at the RL but they didn't have any on the floor.

Last stop is the Lincoln dealer to see the new Zephyer (sp?). Now, this is a woman who knows ZERO about cars. She approaches the car as I follow behind. She opens the door, and as she's opening it she says no and closes it. I ask her what's wrong and says "after opening and closing doors from MB, BMW, Audi, and even infiniti, this feels like it's going to fall off"!! She opens the door again and looks inside. "That's the cheapest looking dashboard i've ever seen"!! I cracked up.

So, I spent a few hours helping my mother in law pick out a car. Turns out she didn't pick anything. Probably won't either. Just doesn't care. She probably just needs someone to tell her what to buy. I think she was looking for me to do that, but I didn't think that would be the right thing to do. Unless, we're talking about that yellow Gallardo!!
Old 11-13-2005, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Both are nice cars nonetheless
Old 11-13-2005, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by newton22
But if I had to buy one, it would be the SRT, I mean, that pricetag.
That's funny...we have a company Ford Windstar van which I am thinking of "retiring" it for several reasons:

1. high mileage
2. fuel economy
3. the fact that our senior population we transport to our office have a hard time getting into the van (high clearance).

I am seriously looking at the SRT as our replacement "transport van." I know it's overkill on the performance, but that's to satisfy my primal urges when I have it for personal use. The fuel economy is very similar and the initial clearance is at car level.

PS Anything is an improvement on the interior of the Ford Windstar, even if it is the plasticky interior of the SRT-8.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
That Dodge wagon looks redneck next to the AMG

how about the Grand Cherokee SRT8

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103621

Somewhat more class and utility.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
12.2 on an unprepped track??? dayam. I guess there is a huge difference between the professional and non-professional driver.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
think about what the srt can do if its s/c
at least 600hp, more like 675 im guessing. cant beat that for the $
Old 12-14-2005, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Real car guys should like and appreciate all tuned performance cars especially one that is spawned from the Mercedes they are driving. The real problem here is it appears E55 owners get offended when their $85k cars are compared to a $35k Dodge. You can read between the lines and see the arrogance of those haters when solid evidence is presented that the E55 is only providing a modicum of performance and luxury over a car that cost less than half as much. I never got people stopping me to talk about my E55 AMG nor my E430 and as I drive the Magnum I still see people staring while my E55 AMG just blends in without notice. Not that I want the attention but the facts of which is more popular and in more demand is evident.

I drive an E55, a Magnum Hemi and a 300C Hemi and I don't feel any less or give up much when I drive the ones that cost less than half the price. Plus, one must take each vehicle into perspective considering their price points and not just hate for no real reason. Plus comparing one brands "plastic" to another brands "plastic" is moot and again arrogant. The Magnum has less roll in fast turns over my E55 and that is without the SRT suspension. I really doubt the E55 wagon owner here actually compared and test drove the Magnum before making his decision to buy the E55 Wagon because "once you get a look 'n feel of the two cars" he opted for the E55 - Give me a break!

The E-Class has been around since 1994 and before as the 300E and it has never had the popularity and demand that the LX cars have. Case in point - there are many models, toys and collectibles for the LX cars - let's see you find one for an E-Class or even an AMG. I go to SEMA and many autoshows yearly and never seen an E-Class nor E55 AMG or Mercedes wagons on the floor while LX cars are everywhere lately. Sure, some want something more exclusive and not so mainstream but don't unfairly criticize when the cheaper car shows proven merit performance wise.

The Magnum is "Redneck"! That is the craziest and most ill-informed description of the Magnum I have every heard. A car that can be found in every upscale Car magazine and purchased by people with money to burn is now the whip of choice for Bubba! Seeing Magnum's in the garage or driveway of people also owing Bentleys and Aston Martins means something.

Those Magnum haters will be pulling thier hair out 5-10 years from now when there is little demand for a used E55 and the car's value is close to that of an E320. So believing "the SRT will just look... tired. and plastic. like it does already" is really just wishful hatred in deed and without much merit. Opinionated yes, but truely without merit because the Magnum SRT is a worthy Performance Wagon and it's low price only makes the E55 wagon's price a debateable position their owners will have to continually defend.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 12-14-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 AM

'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
Originally Posted by E55 KEV
Real car guys should like and appreciate all tuned performance cars especially one that is spawned from the Mercedes they are driving. The real problem here is it appears E55 owners get offended when their $85k cars are compared to a $35k Dodge. You can read between the lines and see the arrogance of those haters when solid evidence is presented that the E55 is only providing a modicum of performance and luxury over a car that cost less than half as much. I never got people stopping me to talk about my E55 AMG nor my E430 and as I drive the Magnum I still see people staring while my E55 AMG just blends in without notice. Not that I want the attention but the facts of which is more popular and in more demand is evident.

I drive an E55, a Magnum Hemi and a 300C Hemi and I don't feel any less or give up much when I drive the ones that cost less than half the price. Plus, one must take each vehicle into perspective considering their price points and not just hate for no real reason. Plus comparing one brands "plastic" to another brands "plastic" is moot and again arrogant. The Magnum has less roll in fast turns over my E55 and that is without the SRT suspension. I really doubt the E55 wagon owner here actually compared and test drove the Magnum before making his decision to buy the E55 Wagon because "once you get a look 'n feel of the two cars" he opted for the E55 - Give me a break!
As an AMG wagon owner (and "real car guy") and as someone who test drove the Magnum RT (well before the SRT was announced) I feel like I can chime in here. It should also be known that when I drove the Magnum I was somewhat impressed by the acceleration but nothing more. The car's handling was less than remarkable and (although you believe "it's moot and arrogant") the interior made me want to vomit. At that point, I was disappointed because I was desperately looking for a performance wagon and was sincerely hoping that the Magnum would fill that spot for me.

Also, which is more popular and which is in more demand are two completely different things in this case. Finding someone to shell out almost $100k for a high performance station wagon is going to be a tough niche to crack. Finding people to get into a high performance station wagon for less than half the price (adding on the amazing trendiness that the 300/Magnum platform has spawned) will be much less difficult. But if you had to ask Joe Schmoe car guy what he'd rather have irregardless of price, you probably wouldn't get a decisive call for the "more popular" Magnum.

And most AMG owners couldn't care less whether their car holds a "modicum of perf. and luxury" over a similar (in all but price) vehicle. They buy AMG for the exclusivity, the elitism, the knowledge that their motor was hand built by one man, the aura that surrounds the brand, etc. Good marketing? Possibly, but show me a racing heritage from Dodge that compares to AMG. Show me a company that is willing to blow away all engineering and horsepower boundaries as quickly and consistently as AMG has...is it Dodge? Sure Hemi this, Hemi that. Drove a rental Hemi Durango for a weekend, the closest Dodge experience I have next to my RT test drive...in both cases I was much less than impressed.

The E-Class has been around since 1994 and before as the 300E and it has never had the popularity and demand that the LX cars have. Case in point - there are many models, toys and collectibles for the LX cars - let's see you find one for an E-Class or even an AMG. I go to SEMA and many autoshows yearly and never seen an E-Class nor E55 AMG or Mercedes wagons on the floor while LX cars are everywhere lately. Sure, some want something more exclusive and not so mainstream but don't unfairly criticize when the cheaper car show proven merit performance wise.

The Magnum is "Redneck"! That is the craziest and most ill-informed description of the Magnum I have every heard. A car that can be found in every upscale Car magazine and purchased by people with money to burn is now the whip of choice for Bubba! Seeing Magnum's in the garage or driveway of people also owing Bentleys and Aston Martins means something.
I agree with you regarding the off color description of the car. It should be commended for it's unique design and performance capabilities. However, simply because it pushes those envelopes does not put it in the same class as AMG. Simply because there is a high demand for toy cars with big plastic wheels and lookalike air suspension does not make the car they're modeled after an AMG counterpart. Simply because it (and its 300 counterparts) have been all over SEMA does not make it worthy of equality. It merely shows that Dodge took a chance with a retro trend and coupled with a very accessible price point, they hit the jackpot with every car customizer and big willie athlete. Is that a reason to not give credence to an AMG owner's argument? Of course you're going to see more Magnums at SEMA, you're also going to see more 30" spinning wheels, lamborghini style doors, and tvs in gas doors, does that make them all cool?

Again, I'm not sure what upscale car magazines you read, but DUB and RIDES don't count. Show me a Magnum in Robb Report, CAR, Dupont, EVO, etc. and I'll show you an advertising director who had a bad day. And when you see a Magnum in the driveway next to a Bentley or AM, believe me..it belongs to a houseguest, the nanny, or bratty teenage son who liked the idea of his dad getting a real car that matches his toys.

Those Magnum haters will be pulling thier hair out 5-10 years from now when there is little demand for a used E55 and the car's value is close to that of an E320. So believing the "the SRT will just look... tired. and plastic. like it does already" is really just wishful hatred in deed and without much merit. Opinionated yes, but truely without merit because the Magnum SRT is a worthy Performance Wagon and it's price only makes the E55 wagon's price a position their owners will have to continually defend.
Do you honestly think that in 5-10 years a Magnum will be a hotter commodity than an E55? I think you've been watching too much Nascar. As far as depreciation goes...those Magnum haters couldn't care less about their car's depreciation. They spend $100k on a car because they can, because almost all of their other luxury items are depreciating assets, and because not vomiting everytime they open their car door is more important to them than saving money.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by silversurfer; 12-15-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 AM

05 E55
Case in point - there are many models, toys and collectibles for the LX cars - let's see you find one for an E-Class or even an AMG.
Hey Kev... love your site.

As a side note, I have a few crazy models... actual reproductions of my actual cars, done by hand... matching paint even. They are gifts, kinda cool.

And guess what? You won't FIND an E55 model... and very few E's in general because of licensing. You'll find SL55s all over the place... CL55s... CLKs, SLKs... but few Es and zero E55s.

The person who gets them for me this time of year (Santa), has given up. Phone calls and inquiries gave him all the limited licensing info... its very strange.

Just thought I'd chime in on the whole model thing... its political, not demand.

Loren
Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WOW! Someone even more arrogant chimes in!

silversurfer, I think the people I directed my debate to where others and not you. Don't feel obligated to defend the others - Your comments seem like I was debating you.

First of all, explaning all the virtues of AMG, hand built engines, AMG racing to an AMG owner (probably) long before you is well, useless, err 'moot'. Test driving a Magnum RT is no subtitute or a barometer of an SRT version, just like driving an E500 is no barameter for measuring an E55 AMG.

Silly juvenile comments never really prove any points. "Vomit!" Sure the interior is not your taste but how it can make one vomit is beyond me? silversurfer goes to buy a Magnum, all set test drive, buy it and bring it home and Gosh, the interior is ugly - I'm not buying it, no thanks, wheres the wood? Give me a break! That's arrogance! You were not looking for a "performance wagon" when you dismissed the Magnum you were looking for an upscale pretentious country club wagon to impress someone!

I agree that changing the mind of someone wanting an E55 AMG wagon is difficult, but from the looks of those garages and driveways that I see in the newer urban upscale magazines, like DUB & Rides proves that people that can afford a $100k wagon will rather have a $40k Magnum. What person puts his housekeepers car in his magazine shoot? If the housekeeper drives a Magnum they are paid more money than what you pay yours. Thanks for mentioning all the uppity arrogant magazines that only appeal to the snobbish crowd. You show more arrogance when you state "DUB and RIDES don't count. Show me a Magnum in Robb Report, CAR, Dupont". BTW, Car and EVO magazine European magazines for Euro name plates only.

Another unsubstantied comment of yours - "ask Joe Schmoe car guy what he'd rather have irregardless of price, you probably wouldn't get a decisive call for the "more popular" Magnum." Joe Schmoe car guy would not know what an E55 AMG is but yes would take it if offered due to the price tags, but who in hell gets offered the choice of an E55 or Magnum for free? More useless dribble that proves nothing. Hey Joe, you also won a new home - would you like the $1million home or this one that cost $100k. Your quips prove nothing.

How can I give "credence" to any of the above E55 wagon owners (before you chimed in) argument when what was stated was not true. Other than you the other owner did not really compare the two cars and none of you have driven an SRT version but you are now experts on its non virtues. If any credence is to be given I get it because I have the cars and the experience.

If you vomit everytime you see a bad interior and the bits of wood inside your Mercedes keeps you well you have a serious medical problem!

Oh, BTW, reading between the lines with our NASCAR comment also shows your arrogance and the I am better than you attitude. Man, you just can not hide it. You are a snob! And yes, I do love your E55 Wagon also. Hell, I like all Performance cars - even the Pontiac GTO.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 12-15-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Loren

The person who gets them for me this time of year (Santa), has given up. Phone calls and inquiries gave him all the limited licensing info... its very strange.

Just thought I'd chime in on the whole model thing... its political, not demand.

Loren
Loren, thanks for the compliments. I do agree about the licenseing thing - you are probably right. But, when it come to what kids want for Christmas I doubt kids are asking Santa for a model of an E-Class sedan or wagon. Instead they want that Magnum or that 300C with the MP3 player in the truck. That big azz 300C MP3 player is funny. I got my 10 year old (actually me) 3 Magnums for Christmas. Hell, he knows what a Magnum is and the 300, but if I asked him what type of Benz I have - he would shrug and give me a blank stare.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:32 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0

The E-Class has been around since 1994 and before as the 300E and it has never had the popularity and demand that the LX cars have. Case in point - there are many models, toys and collectibles for the LX cars - let's see you find one for an E-Class or even an AMG. I go to SEMA and many autoshows yearly and never seen an E-Class nor E55 AMG or Mercedes wagons on the floor while LX cars are everywhere lately. Sure, some want something more exclusive and not so mainstream but don't unfairly criticize when the cheaper car shows proven merit performance wise.

Those Magnum haters will be pulling thier hair out 5-10 years from now when there is little demand for a used E55 and the car's value is close to that of an E320. So believing "the SRT will just look... tired. and plastic. like it does already" is really just wishful hatred in deed and without much merit. Opinionated yes, but truely without merit because the Magnum SRT is a worthy Performance Wagon and it's low price only makes the E55 wagon's price a debateable position their owners will have to continually defend.
You could not be more biased.

I have driven both the SRT-8 Wagon and 300 and while nice, I can certainly see the 50K price difference.

1. the performance competes with the C55 more than the E55 (and the C55 would win). Thee E55 has about 1.4 secs in the ¼ on it…..
2. No nav, no air vent seats, no rear sunshade, no auto dim mirrors, no HID’s let alone active HID’s, not Distronic, no Parktronic, No Adaptive seats, no pana roof, no keyless go, no adjustable shocks, no 14.6 in rotors, no 8 piston calipers, no TPMS, no elec trunk closer (i could keep going...). Crummy stereo
3. E55 is quieter, and handles better (do not give me your “butt-dyno” results about body roll, look at the specs)

I love the SRT line, and I am real excited to see the US car makers doing what they are doing. It is ignorant to assume that you’re a pompous-*** to want the finer things in life if you can afford them. I’d drive an SRT-8 if I couldn’t afford the E, but to say that I made a decision on status is more than untrue, it’s asinine.

The SRT-8 line is a good value, the E55 line is also a good VALUE (I feel that what I got for 100K is more than fair)

I used to buy old CJ’s and rebuild them before I could afford nice cars, I don’t anymore because I don’t have too.

Last edited by DRCrowder; 12-15-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 PM
ON PROBATION

E55KEV - you went off! I suppose that is part of what these forums are for, and why I and many of the rest of us are here -- to express our opinions, hear others' opinions, debate sometimes...and learn.
Performance is one factor in a car. Quality is another. Safety is another. Luxury is another. Reliability is another. Functionality is yet another. And Price is perhaps the most limiting to many of us -- but definately the least important to one who can pick and chosse among all of the other desirable/undesirable traits.
American cars, by-and-large, suck. They tend to be cheap - not just inexpensive - 'cheap'. European sport and luxury cars tend to be quality - not inexpensive - and not 'cheap'.
Yes, american manufacturers tend to come out with a model that performs or functions very well: Ford Mustang GT, Corvette, GMC/Chevy Yukon/Denali and the 2500HD with the Duramax diesel, the new Cadillacs, the Dodge Hemi's, and the Ford GT all come to mind.
I tend to buy European, however, time and again. And every time I seriously consider buying American? I usually end up not doing so. I do have a few from the above list. Why? Functionality, and performance -- but it is NOT for their quality, or because they handily fulfill several of the above factors that I evaluate in a vehicle purchase. The American cars are always lacking in several of the factors...the European vehicles? maybe in one or two.
So my opinion? I'm glad that you like your hemi's -- good for you. I would never considering buying one...and I love my E55 wagon, and I think that it kicks a$$ in every respect -- that's one of the reasons that I am a member of this forum.
I hope that a ton of people buy the Magnum, and enjoy the heck out of 'em. I'm gonna stick with my E55T.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:34 PM
ON PROBATION

I'll also say this, the fact that Chrysler is incorporating Mercedes technology and product into their cars here in the US is definately a good thing for the American consumer, in my opinion. Same thing with Ford incorporating Volvo and Jaguar. But the fact that Volvo is being forced by Ford to incorporate some of Ford's cheap crap into their cars is definately NOT a good thing...see what I mean about American vs. European? Rather obvious the difference, isn't it?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Originally Posted by AMGfan
That's funny...we have a company Ford Windstar van which I am thinking of "retiring" it for several reasons:

1. high mileage
2. fuel economy
3. the fact that our senior population we transport to our office have a hard time getting into the van (high clearance).

I am seriously looking at the SRT as our replacement "transport van." I know it's overkill on the performance, but that's to satisfy my primal urges when I have it for personal use. The fuel economy is very similar and the initial clearance is at car level.

PS Anything is an improvement on the interior of the Ford Windstar, even if it is the plasticky interior of the SRT-8.
I think that is wise thinking, it would leave an indelible mark in your customer's minds...
Old 12-15-2005, 01:35 PM

'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
silversurfer, I think the people I directed my debate to where others and not you. Don't feel obligated to defend the others - Your comments seem like I was debating you.
Understood, but I am trying to be a bit more explicit as to why these cars are not in the same class. Sorry if you read anything else from my tone.

First of all, explaning all the virtues of AMG, hand built engines, AMG racing to an AMG owner (probably) long before you is well, useless, err 'moot'. Test driving a Magnum RT is no subtitute or a barometer of an SRT version, just like driving an E500 is no barameter for measuring an E55 AMG.

Silly juvenile comments never really prove any points. "Vomit!" Sure the interior is not your taste but how it can make one vomit is beyond me? silversurfer goes to buy a Magnum, all set test drive, buy it and bring it home and Gosh, the interior is ugly - I'm not buying it, no thanks, wheres the wood? Give me a break! That's arrogance! You were not looking for a "performance wagon" when you dismissed the Magnum you were looking for an upscale pretentious country club wagon to impress someone!
Disagree, one butt cheek inside the cabin of an E500 would blow you away in comparison to the cabin of an SRT8. Just as DRCrowder explained, there is a laundry list of interior and exterior upgrades that differentiate the AMG from the Dodge before the key is even turned on (or, in the case of the AMG, the button is pushed...nice feature, don't you think?). And, I guess you and I are very different, because the interior of a car is equally as important as the exterior of the car when I'm looking at a purchase. Besides, the only other person who ever rides with me in my car is my girlfriend and my dog...I'm pretty sure they're already impressed with me, the wood in my car won't make the difference.

I agree that changing the mind of someone wanting an E55 AMG wagon is difficult, but from the looks of those garages and driveways that I see in the newer urban upscale magazines, like DUB & Rides proves that people that can afford a $100k wagon will rather have a $40k Magnum. What person puts his housekeepers car in his magazine shoot? If the housekeeper drives a Magnum they are paid more money than what you pay yours. Thanks for mentioning all the uppity arrogant magazines that only appeal to the snobbish crowd. You show more arrogance when you state "DUB and RIDES don't count. Show me a Magnum in Robb Report, CAR, Dupont". BTW, Car and EVO magazine European magazines for Euro name plates only.
No, Rides and DUB prove that all people who can afford $100k cars don't necessarily know the difference, nor do they care about the performance of the car. They care about a platform that is "gangsta" trendy that can accept big wheels, air suspension, and kandy paint. The uppity arrogant magazines are the print media benchmark in high end car sales. Got nothing to do with attitude, just marketshare and reality. Rides and DUB are "lifestyle" magazines, the others aren't.

Regarding the housekeeper - I've got a friend, owns 8 or 9 cars, including a CLS55 and CL55 as well as a Magnum. He bought the Magnum for his kid's nanny. And yes, he's got more money than I do, but he also bought the car for precisely the same reasons I outlined in the above paragraph.

Another unsubstantied comment of yours - "ask Joe Schmoe car guy what he'd rather have irregardless of price, you probably wouldn't get a decisive call for the "more popular" Magnum." Joe Schmoe car guy would not know what an E55 AMG is but yes would take it if offered due to the price tags, but who in hell gets offered the choice of an E55 or Magnum for free? More useless dribble that proves nothing. Hey Joe, you also won a new home - would you like the $1million home or this one that cost $100k. Your quips prove nothing.
Actually, I did include "car guy" in that generalization which would imply (to me) that he would know what an E55 was and would recognize the amazing rarity of an E55T and be prone to jump at it. Also, regardless of price means that price wouldn't factor into the equation, so your house analogy (with grossly exaggerated prices in comparison to the cars we're speaking of) doesn't work. I agree that it's a silly hypothetical but it does prove that the lack of popularity does not equate to the lack of desire or demand.

How can I give "credence" to any of the above E55 wagon owners (before you chimed in) argument when what was stated was not true. Other than you the other owner did not really compare the two cars and none of you have driven an SRT version but you are now experts on its non virtues. If any credence is to be given I get it because I have the cars and the experience.
Umm..you have an '02E55, not an '05 and also not a wagon. They are different cars. That's not an arrogant statement, just a fact. You also have an RT, not an SRT. Different cars, right?

My Nascar comment was more an exercise in sarcasm than anything. Obviously, it didn't go over so well. However, it might be reasonable to assume that a fan of the Dodge might be a fan of Nascar and thus would enjoy watching cars drive around in circles..thus clouding his brain enough to like that god awful interior

Last edited by silversurfer; 12-15-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by Loren

As a side note, I have a few crazy models... actual reproductions of my actual cars, done by hand... matching paint even. They are gifts, kinda cool.

And guess what? You won't FIND an E55 model... and very few E's in general because of licensing. You'll find SL55s all over the place... CL55s... CLKs, SLKs... but few Es and zero E55s.

Loren
I picked up some Kyosho 1/18 scale W211 E-Class sedan and wagon. They were just regiular E-Class, not AMG, and they were not easy to find either. Damn shame, cuz it would be sweet if we had an AMG E55 model.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by medici78
I picked up some Kyosho 1/18 scale W211 E-Class sedan and wagon. They were just regiular E-Class, not AMG, and they were not easy to find either. Damn shame, cuz it would be sweet if we had an AMG E55 model.
yes, apparently Kyosho has the only rights, and its only for the generic E class. Of course, if I could get my hands on a 1/18 Silver one, I'd retro fit it and make it E55ish...

Loren

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battle of the wagons....Magnum SRT8 VS E55.