Sponsored by:

Why does my car skip side to side?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Why does my car skip side to side?

I have noticed when I'm driving at freeway speeds and I hit bumps or dips in the road my car sways or skips side to side but not up and down. The Koni's and H&R springs are only a little over a year old. I do have the rear Koni's set on medium and the fronts and soft, not sure if this is causing the problem. It has been a problem for a while even after getting new tires. I'm wondering if it might be an alighnment problem because I have never done it since I lowered the car. The car drives straight but it just tends to sway left and right in a smooth way but not in a normal way.
Please help
Old 11-14-2005, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
ALignment issues, suspension problems, tire wear, or overall bad suspenstion setup could lead to the problem you are having. Even a poor tire will do this.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:39 AM

03 E55
I don't know if the 210 has a "normal" swaybar set, but faults with the swaybar could cause these kinds of symptoms.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
probrably shock set up, + HEAVY CAR + maybe worn bushings,rubber mounts etc.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:58 PM

04 E500 Brabus Wagon
side to side

When I used to autocross a lowered and tight 240Z with fat meats, and when I used to run shifter carts I often felt what you describe. The problem is likely due to not enough suspension. By that I mean everything is too tight, in racing terms they would say take a few turns out of it, so the suspension can better do its job. In your case I not sure what your options are to get more suspension into your car.

BTW where did you get your roof wing?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK500 Coupe
Does it skip to my lou?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:53 PM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by AMGE
When I used to autocross a lowered and tight 240Z with fat meats, and when I used to run shifter carts I often felt what you describe. The problem is likely due to not enough suspension. By that I mean everything is too tight, in racing terms they would say take a few turns out of it, so the suspension can better do its job. In your case I not sure what your options are to get more suspension into your car.

BTW where did you get your roof wing?
I have adjustable rebound on my Koni Shocks. the fronts are set to soft and the back to medium, I was trying to create more oversteer. I will soften up the rear in a couple days, to see if that helps. I will send you a PM on the wing, this is a very nice product and doesnt' cost too much.
Mario
Old 11-14-2005, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Tires. w/ stiffer sidewalls found on the BFG KDW, I didnt get any, w/ the Michelin PS2, a little.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Tires
have the same problem right now, i have perelli pzero asumetrico's, i they are not directional but i just havent had the time/patience/care to figure out which is the right/left side tires for front and rear... i would check with your tire manufacturer and find out if they are directional or what, that could be it right there.