W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 M5 beaten by Gallarado and Viper video...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by e55 baller
Why do all the M5 Gustavo's and //M trolls continue to post one off non replicable M5 video wins over the E55?

Please post a 1/4 time that surpasses the average E55 of 12.3-12.4? Show me a bone stock M5 even an M6 than can pull an 11.84@118... Can you? No?

Insurmountable evidence now exists with 1/4 times that illustrate the E55 smokes the M5 ...who cares if the M5 is faster from 100, 120, 180mph...99% of all road races will not occur at such speeds, and if you start racing that high up you are an idiot for endangering other lives.

The M5 owns the E55 on the track, the E55 owns the M5 on the street and strip. Amen.
Issac,

We proved your point this last weekend when I drove Alex's new M5. The car will get spanked by a E55 period from a stop, End Of Discussion. No way will the M5 come close in 0-60 or 1/4 times. Even when power braking up to 2K it did not get better.

The M5 seems to be a monster after 5Krpm and over the 120mph mark, but in VA if I stayed at that speed on RT 7 I would be in jail If you wanted a track car then the M5 would be your winner over the E55. If I wanted a track car it would not be something that is over 4000 pounds as both these sedans are but a light true track car. At the end of the day the E55 will give 99% of the drivers many more smiles.

btw - Alex has already asked his BMW dealership about trading the M5 back in. If you have had 55K fun it is very hard to find something else more rewarding in a sedan.

If it is not to cold we will be going back up to Capitol on Friday 12/2 and get some real world 1/4 mile runs against some stock E55'ers.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
Intersesting numbers. Notice the wide variation in times between each mag, especially the Lambo. SportAuto must have been driving a dog or there was a rock under the go pedal.
Yeah. That car was pretty slow....the one Car & Driver tested got to 130 mph than the Sport Auto car took to get to 125, and 5 mph at those speeds takes a few seconds...it was also 0.7seconds slower to 100 (160 km/h) than the Car & Driver car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=5

ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph 1.8
40 mph 2.5
50 mph 3.3
60 mph 4.1
70 mph 5.2
80 mph 6.3
90 mph 7.8
100 mph 9.2
110 mph 10.7
120 mph 12.9
130 mph 15.0
140 mph 17.6
150 mph 21.4
160 mph 25.5
Street start, 5–60 mph 4.6
Top-gear acceleration, 30–50 mph 4.0
50–70 mph 6.2
Standing 1/4-mile 12.4 sec @ 118 mph
Top speed (drag limited) 191 mph

Last edited by Improviz; 11-21-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Issac,

btw - If you have had 55K fun it is very hard to find something else more rewarding in a sedan.
Very True
Old 11-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Boy, our guys are a little tunnel minded in here...Please tell me where I said the m5 would beat the e55. All I said was that in due time we will prob. see M5's in the low 12's. After that, 2 of you called me a "Gustav Troll" whatever that means, and then went on to praise the E55. I am just not understanding where I said anything for comparison. Please re-read my post,

thx...jordan

(Don't count on the M5 not going under 12.55 with its LC US version. Chips are already out giving M5's full LC. BUT, mark my words, we will see mid 12's without LC from the M5's. As soon as these cars start heading to the track, so will better drivers with different setups. Sure, it would be fun to see 2 peoples Time slips the first month the car is to the US and think, that is how fast they will be, but....Don't kid yourself.

We will see the M5 going faster than the only 1-2 time slips we have on record. By Christmas, I bet we see mid 12's if not low 12's from FL boys. If not, it will be by spring after the snow melts from the Nothern boys.

Just have fun and enjoy everyones enjoyment for nice cars!

Jordan)

Last edited by jordan; 11-21-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by jordan
Boy, our guys are a little tunnel minded in here...Please tell me where I said the m5 would beat the e55. All I said was that in due time we will prob. see M5's in the low 12's. After that, 2 of you called me a "Gustav Troll" whatever that means, and then went on to praise the E55. I am just not understanding where I said anything for comparison. Please re-read my post,
I can't speak for everyone here, but IMO you certainly haven't been trolling during your brief time here, and I wasn't trying to imply it...

I was, however, disputing the low 12's part, because of the test results as I wrote....but as you said: time will tell. I simply brought in the E55 to address the true troll, our friend "FactMan", who is actually, methinks, a longtime troll of these forums using a new posting handle...
Old 11-21-2005, 10:08 PM

'06 M6, '05 Lambo Gallardo
I have to chime in here. I just took delivery of my M5 3 days ago. I traded my CLS55 in for it. Prior to the CLS, I had 2 '04 E55s. I also am fortunate enough to have a 2005 Gallardo. I agonized over the decision to give up my CLS since I really loved that car. I went ahead with it since I have always wanted an M car and I knew if I really felt I made a mistake I could get another CLS without losing big on the BMW. I have zero regret after making the move, but I still LOVE the 55k cars I have had. I am very objective on my opinions here.

Here is my take....

The M5 can't touch the 55K cars in a drag race from a dead stop. It's over before it starts. For that matter, the Lambo (mine is a 6 speed) is a pig out of the hole due to a much to tall 1st gear. The 55K cars' torque is insane...no other car I have ever had feels that strong from the green light. The BMW has a better feel to me. The SMG box is a lot of fun to drive. I really don't care about which car is quicker by a tenth or two ot three...you guys need to stop worrying about the minutia.

Real life driving (around town) really becomes less of an issue since the 55K cars have plenty of torque, but the M5 has plenty of power after 2,500 RPM (which is easy to achieve). The M5 is more fun to drive and in many ways the interior is more refined (much to my surprise) than the MB. I still have not been able to go over 5,500 RPMs, but I can feel A LOT of power in P500 mode even though I can't rev it up yet. I do miss the electronic trunk closer though!

The Lambo eats both the MB and M5 in every category...it very well should. It weighs a lot less (3153) and once it has some revs it simply screams. The handling is so much better than any other car I have owned (Vipers, 996TT, etc) and the sexiness factor is off the chart.

Bottom line...They are all AMAZING CARS in different ways. Stop worrying about the small stuff and just enjoy the drive.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by jkrutch
I do miss the electronic trunk closer though!
Note to self: never remember to always order trunk closer, second M5 owner missing this MB feature.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:58 PM

I have to chime in here. I just took delivery of my M5 3 days ago. I traded my CLS55 in for it. Prior to the CLS, I had 2 '04 E55s. I also am fortunate enough to have a 2005 Gallardo. I agonized over the decision to give up my CLS since I really loved that car. I went ahead with it since I have always wanted an M car and I knew if I really felt I made a mistake I could get another CLS without losing big on the BMW. I have zero regret after making the move, but I still LOVE the 55k cars I have had. I am very objective on my opinions here.

Here is my take....

The M5 can't touch the 55K cars in a drag race from a dead stop. It's over before it starts. For that matter, the Lambo (mine is a 6 speed) is a pig out of the hole due to a much to tall 1st gear. The 55K cars' torque is insane...no other car I have ever had feels that strong from the green light. The BMW has a better feel to me. The SMG box is a lot of fun to drive. I really don't care about which car is quicker by a tenth or two ot three...you guys need to stop worrying about the minutia.

Real life driving (around town) really becomes less of an issue since the 55K cars have plenty of torque, but the M5 has plenty of power after 2,500 RPM (which is easy to achieve). The M5 is more fun to drive and in many ways the interior is more refined (much to my surprise) than the MB. I still have not been able to go over 5,500 RPMs, but I can feel A LOT of power in P500 mode even though I can't rev it up yet. I do miss the electronic trunk closer though!

The Lambo eats both the MB and M5 in every category...it very well should. It weighs a lot less (3153) and once it has some revs it simply screams. The handling is so much better than any other car I have owned (Vipers, 996TT, etc) and the sexiness factor is off the chart.

Bottom line...They are all AMAZING CARS in different ways. Stop worrying about the small stuff and just enjoy the drive.

Wait until you are able to take it above 5,500 RPM's, the thing just pulls and pulls I also loved when you down shifted and you hear that lound sound from the engine....it scared the little old lady next to us!

Should be passed the 1200 mile mark and get LC working before we go to the track.

I agree 100% with what you said. We should consider ourselves lucky to be able to own any of them
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 PM

Here is my take....

Wait until you are able to take it above 5,500 RPM's, the thing just pulls and pulls I also loved it when you down shifted and you hear that lound sound from the engine....it scared the little old lady next to us!

Should be passed the 1200 mile mark and get LC working before we go to the track.

I agree 100% with what you said. We should consider ourselves lucky to be able to own any of them
Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 PM

So that you all know all this M5 versus E55 crap made Keanu Reeves barf.
Who's next?

Old 11-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Improviz
I can't speak for everyone here, but IMO you certainly haven't been trolling during your brief time here, and I wasn't trying to imply it...

I was, however, disputing the low 12's part, because of the test results as I wrote....but as you said: time will tell. I simply brought in the E55 to address the true troll, our friend "FactMan", who is actually, methinks, a longtime troll of these forums using a new posting handle...

I understand......No problems. I wouldn't car what kind of car people have and don't bad mouth others cars. I just appreciate nice super cars in general. I never would dislike someone just because they drove a BMW or E55 or whatever else. We all share the taste of cars, that is why 30 min of our day is on this and other forums. It's a place for information as well

Jordan

jordan
Old 11-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Almost a Member!

here, here. well put.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
rape time
Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 PM

04 E55
1400 miles update.

The engine seems to get more powerful as the break in continues. Still not match to the E55 on the low end. But power and torque has gotten better. Funny thing is that my gas mileage has gone up as well. Last tank i was able to get around 14 mpg, finally tapped 200 miles before i hit reserve. (this is my 1st tank after break in). It it amazing that i am getting 14mpg after i have been driving this thing quiet hard on this tank. Did at 7 or 8 times of hard launch all the way up to 130.

However, the engine sound has turned louder and more like a diesel after the 1200 miles service. This thing is loud. I swear this thing has the knocking sound of a diesel. But once you get underway the ening sound so nice.

Other gripe thus far, it seems my HUD is a step behind the actual rev of engine. So I have to pay attention to the actual rev on the instrument panel rather than the HUD display. My rear tire is about 1/3 way done. It looks like i can get rid of the junk conti pretty soon.

I think as the break in continues, M5 will get faster and faster. It will not outgun E55 in 0-60 (perhaps only when weather gets extremely hot), but it should be about even at 1/4 miles.

Still 1600 miles more to go before all break in are done.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by krispykrme
... but it should be about even at 1/4 miles.

Still 1600 miles more to go before all break in are done.
You really think so?? I don't know, the E55s, as of late, are putting quite an impressive list of 1/4 mile runs in stock form. I do think the M5, with a full active LC is a low to mid 12 second car with high teens in trap speed. But E55s are doing high eleven to low 12 1/4 runs with equally impressive trap speeds. I look forward to seeing more and more M5s at the track to get a more factual representation of its power/performance
Old 11-22-2005, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55

Here is my take....

Great post. It is nice to hear opinions from guys like you that own and drive these cars. I followed your saga on the M5Board. Glad you are enjoying your new toy. Be safe and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by RezF
You really think so?? I don't know, the E55s, as of late, are putting quite an impressive list of 1/4 mile runs in stock form. I do think the M5, with a full active LC is a low to mid 12 second car with high teens in trap speed. But E55s are doing high eleven to low 12 1/4 runs with equally impressive trap speeds. I look forward to seeing more and more M5s at the track to get a more factual representation of its power/performance
Rez - I agree. I can't wait to see more M5's at the track to give us some real info. But let us not get too carried away with the E. I still view it as a low 12 second car. So far we have one E owner among the many of us that hit the strip who managed to run high elevens. All of our hats are off to him. But let us not use that as a basis for labeling the E an 11 second car. It was a great day at the track for one of our strongest samples out there. Now if a few more of us can do it, then maybe I will see it a bit differently.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by enzom
Rez - I agree. I can't wait to see more M5's at the track to give us some real info. But let us not get too carried away with the E. I still view it as a low 12 second car. So far we have one E owner among the many of us that hit the strip who managed to run high elevens. All of our hats are off to him. But let us not use that as a basis for labeling the E an 11 second car. It was a great day at the track for one of our strongest samples out there. Now if a few more of us can do it, then maybe I will see it a bit differently.
Well, as I recall we had at least one owner hit a 12.0 stock, and I'm pretty sure there were more than one.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
My M currently has 930 or so miles. The does seem more powerful and my gas mileage is actually improving. The first week, I was getting a dismal 10.4 MPG and now I'm up to 12.7 or so with fairly aggressive driving. I have gone over 5500 RPM on numerous occassions, heck Spero drove the snot out of my car. I am actually loving the car more and more as I drive it more often. The E55's torque is just simply amazing and I do miss it, but the M5 is giving me pretty much everything else. Spero, I'm keeping my M5 BTW, I'm having too much fun in this car.

I don't think the M5 can do high 11's considering the launch is all "jacked". As Spero pointed out the M5 pulls like a freight train beyond 5500 and keeps pulling.

I should have my 1200 mile service done by next Friday...I better!!! We'll hit the track and see what I can churn out of the M5. I had my E55 at the same track with Spero and ran a 12.07 @117mph with Renntech Stage 1 and Spero ran 12.4 @ 114 I believe and now he's doing 11.8s.

Next Friday we'll see what my M5 will run but we have to keep in mind that 1 car's 1/4 mile run doesn't determine what all the M5s will do but it should give us an idea.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by E55_POWER
My M currently has 930 or so miles. The does seem more powerful and my gas mileage is actually improving. The first week, I was getting a dismal 10.4 MPG and now I'm up to 12.7 or so with fairly aggressive driving. I have gone over 5500 RPM on numerous occassions, heck Spero drove the snot out of my car. I am actually loving the car more and more as I drive it more often. The E55's torque is just simply amazing and I do miss it, but the M5 is giving me pretty much everything else. Spero, I'm keeping my M5 BTW, I'm having too much fun in this car.

I don't think the M5 can do high 11's considering the launch is all "jacked". As Spero pointed out the M5 pulls like a freight train beyond 5500 and keeps pulling.

I should have my 1200 mile service done by next Friday...I better!!! We'll hit the track and see what I can churn out of the M5. I had my E55 at the same track with Spero and ran a 12.07 @117mph with Renntech Stage 1 and Spero ran 12.4 @ 114 I believe and now he's doing 11.8s.

Next Friday we'll see what my M5 will run but we have to keep in mind that 1 car's 1/4 mile run doesn't determine what all the M5s will do but it should give us an idea.
Between the both of us we can take turns borrowing each others cars for weekends and have the best of both worlds
Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Between the both of us we can take turns borrowing each others cars for weekends and have the best of both worlds
My wife will love you! She can't stand how stiff the M5 is. I set the EDC on Sport once and it was so stiff the CDs were skipping She was not pleased at all. The 750 "floats" compared to the M...

Man I saw a S55K today in Black, and I was wondering why I didn't buy one of those for my wife instead of the 750
Old 11-23-2005, 12:17 AM

I can't believe some of the times we are seeing from stock E55's. Simply amazing. enzom's 60 ft time is incredible....what a launch! All in all, it is really encouraging to see where new cars are heading in terms of performance. I remember when a sub 5 sec 0-60 was reserved for exotic cars only. Looking forward to a sedan going sub 4. Just a matter of time.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:30 AM

Good move actually as the S Class is about to release the new car. Nobody wants the "old one". I am in a similar predicament since I just trnsferred the lease on my wife's XLR. Now I need to replace it....I am considering the 6 series or a CL if I can find a good one at the right price as that is being replaced within a year as well.

My wife will love you! She can't stand how stiff the M5 is. I set the EDC on Sport once and it was so stiff the CDs were skipping She was not pleased at all. The 750 "floats" compared to the M...

Man I saw a S55K today in Black, and I was wondering why I didn't buy one of those for my wife instead of the 750
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Improviz
Well, as I recall we had at least one owner hit a 12.0 stock, and I'm pretty sure there were more than one.

Impro - I am one of those guys. I hit 12.0x a couple of times. Damn close to 11's, but not there. Believe me, I am trying
Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55

Keep us posted. Nice to see that so many current and former E55 owners are taking their M5's to the strip. So much for the sterotypical "old" dude who like to drive a floating couch. :p

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E60 M5 beaten by Gallarado and Viper video...