Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners Of New M5 Seem Dissappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by absent
In defense of KK:he probably misspoke about the "blipping of throttle during upshift"
He probably meant "slight lifting of throttle during upshift" to get a smooth gear change.

Well if he doesn't know what blip the throttle means, then why is he arguing about the manual cars?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 PM

M5
Originally Posted by krispykrme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improviz
??? I'm not sure what you're saying here...the driver does not blip the throttle at all during an SMG shift; this is done by the engine computer.

Not really true. If you don't learn to time the clutch release on the SMG it will shift very hard and killing your gear box at same time. (not a problem with true manual, because you as driver is in complete control of clutch release, throttle, and gear selection).
krispy - are you saying that, even if the M5 blips for you, you also have to blip a little before the downshift to get a smooth shift?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by zumbalak
Well if he doesn't know what blip the throttle means, then why is he arguing about the manual cars?
Isn't it ironic that mr. "you should learn how to read" and "you don't know what you're talking about" obviously hasn't read a damn thing about blipping a throttle and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about?!?!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by jtc55
thank God i passed on the M5 when my salesman called me to place the order!!!! LOL i feel sorry for the fool who took my place.
No more to say than that? Why waste the space?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
krispykrme and Improviz, good reading yalls debates, but keep the personal attacks to a minimum please. It does nothing to contribute to the discussion.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
krispykrme and Improviz, good reading yalls debates, but keep the personal attacks to a minimum please. It does nothing to contribute to the discussion.
WOW! I believe that is a first
Old 12-03-2005, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
I wen to the track with bunch of E55 folks, let some of them drive the car...

I'll let them speak for it, WayneE, 04E55AMG, Chris CT430?...

I think WayneE was impressed with the M5 the most and CT430 got to drive my car going around some turns.

As for fun factor, depends on what you consider fun, if you like Neck breaking TQ, E55 all the way, pretty much everythign else M5 takes the cake.
No one loves AMG more than I do, but man that car handles. Alex was nice enough to let me take his car out on the street for a quick drive. The steering, brakes, feel, is in another world. I'm BEGGING MB to move just a little in that direction while keeping the HP and TQ. I've had this conversation with Rob Allen several times and I don't understand why they won't do it. He agrees that the AMG customer is getting younger and younger. For those that won't a super fast and super comfortable car get one of the 600 series cars. Or a regular benz for that matter.

A perfect world would be to keep my E and have a 997S in the garage!! Now, my wife...

Thanks again Alex!!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by cte430
No one loves AMG more than I do, but man that car handles. Alex was nice enough to let me take his car out on the street for a quick drive. The steering, brakes, feel, is in another world. I'm BEGGING MB to move just a little in that direction while keeping the HP and TQ. I've had this conversation with Rob Allen several times and I don't understand why they won't do it. He agrees that the AMG customer is getting younger and younger. For those that won't a super fast and super comfortable car get one of the 600 series cars. Or a regular benz for that matter.

A perfect world would be to keep my E and have a 997S in the garage!! Now, my wife...

Thanks again Alex!!
cte430,
I think you will start to see the turn in "that" direction, as AMG is now in full control of their models from the ground up, not just slapping a SC and stiffening suspensions as is currently being done. With MBs rear wheel drive mentality, and the awesome minds of german engineers, I am very excited to see the lineup of AMG cars in the next couple of years
Old 12-03-2005, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by RezF
cte430,
I think you will start to see the turn in "that" direction, as AMG is now in full control of their models from the ground up, not just slapping a SC and stiffening suspensions as is currently being done. With MBs rear wheel drive mentality, and the awesome minds of german engineers, I am very excited to see the lineup of AMG cars in the next couple of years
According to Rob,the CLS/E63 will be the first cars showcasing the new AMG high performance ideas(BMW style handling and responsiveness while still maintaining superior torque and power).
Old 12-03-2005, 02:19 PM

ML350 '06
Improviz rules!

I learn more about cars from reading his debates with fools who dare defy him and his knowledge than I get out of car mags and other sources.

I think your new nickname should be "Google" since you clearly have more info on just about anything than they do! lol!

Keep it up Improviz!
Nick
Old 12-03-2005, 03:51 PM

M5
No one loves AMG more than I do, but man that car handles. Alex was nice enough to let me take his car out on the street for a quick drive. The steering, brakes, feel, is in another world. I'm BEGGING MB to move just a little in that direction while keeping the HP and TQ. I've had this conversation with Rob Allen several times and I don't understand why they won't do it.
Can you get aftermarket suspensions or is the handling the best it's going to get for the current models?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 AM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55

Thanks again Alex!!
Anytime!

If AMG truly does go in that direction I would buy another one.

I have to say that driving my M5 everyday, I absolutely love the car now as it delivers a total package for me, my E55 was close but as everyone knows I was never confident around turns and I could not find anything in the "aftermarket" to improve on the handling.

Chris, my wife read my post about the 997 and she commented that if I bought 1, I might as well check into a hotel :p
Old 12-04-2005, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Anytime!

I have to say that driving my M5 everyday, I absolutely love the car now as it delivers a total package for me, my E55 was close but as everyone knows I was never confident around turns and I could not find anything in the "aftermarket" to improve on the handling.

Chris, my wife read my post about the 997 and she commented that if I bought 1, I might as well check into a hotel :p
That's funny. The other night I was on the computer "building" a Porsche on their website. I heard my wife come up and she kind of saw me exit out of where I was. She said "are you looking at **** again?" I almost said yes, because she'd be more pissed if she knew what I was really looking at!! LOL
Old 12-04-2005, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I think WayneE was impressed with the M5 the most and CT430 got to drive my car going around some turns.

Alex is right. I really liked the M5. Anyone who says they hate the car hasn't driven one. Anyone who claims to have driven one and says they hate didn't really drive it

No enthusiast who stands to pee could hate the M5 That V10, neck snapping SMG 7spd and incredible brakes are the goods. The car looks good in person, although I do think the interior/exterior of the E55 is nicer (pure subjective, obviously).

I agonized over M5 vs. E55 when I was car shopping earlier this year. I got my E55 in early Aug and I could have waited a few months extra for the M5. In the end, the fact that I have other 'fun' cars swayed me to the E55. The acceleration and comfort were more important than handling and driver involvement.

As for fun factor, depends on what you consider fun, if you like Neck breaking TQ, E55 all the way, pretty much everythign else M5 takes the cake.

Agreed... sort of

I think that on a back road, the M5 would be a blast. You'd feel like a hero charging corners, SMG blipping the throttle with each downshift and then striping the pavement on corner exit, slapping the upshift paddle and hazing the tires to the next corner

On the superslab, in the city, or as a commuter, the E55 really shines. The abundant TQ, more comfortable ride and nicer interior all come together as a better overall package (IMO). On a back road, the E55 would give up a little to the M5, but you're talking about super-legal speeds anyway, so I call it a draw there.

Is the M5 a more engaging ride? Of course.

It's not ugly, slow or a POS. No matter how you look at it.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:41 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Chris, I dropped my laptop reading your post...funny as ****! My wife could not figure out why I was laughing so hard. Man, you have *****. If I ever admitted to my wife that I was looking at **** she would probably throw something at me.

Wayne, I have to say that driving Sam's E55 at the track, the torque felt twice as much as the M5's. Interior is just beautiful where the M5's really does look cheap...I just don't know how else to put it. The exterior is still growing on me and it's kinda sad since I already own the car.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Anytime!

I just finished up with the guest bedroom so when she kicks you out come on over. You have your own full bath and a spot in the garage for the M5.

I hope you do not mind the 3:30 AM feedings