Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day Barber Motorsports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Track Day Barber Motorsports

Hey guys taking my 05 beast to its first track day. I have raced round track pavement and dirt, but never a road course. So it should be allot of fun. Any suggestions on set up? Maybe tire pressure for the factory tires? Or any other shifting techniques anyone has learned? Also anybody else going to be there?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have never tracked the E. With that said, add a few lbs to the front tires to keep from rolling over on the shoulder too much. Be aware that after a few laps you will get brake fade and watch for cracked rotors. Barber is a fun course so you'll have a great time.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
chaos4all,

Where do you live?

I second Derek's comment, the Barber complex is quite fun.

Enjoy, when are you going?

Schiznick
Old 11-20-2005, 09:27 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
I did one at NHIS with BMWCCA and it was a blast.

Start with the pressures higher up maybe 40 in front and 42-43 in the rear. You will have to experiment from there. The car is so heavy that if you go lower they really heat up during a run, my tires went up as much as 12psi when I started with lower pressure. If you have tpms it really helps to see what is happening.

Set the suspension to sport 2 I forgot about it my first run out and the car was pretty loose.

As for ****ing my best run was in manual mode in 3rd gear, there were a few places where I wanted more acceleration but the tires would spin even in 3rd. I left the stability on I didn't mind being a little slower to have a whole car at the end of the day. It actually works amazingly well and allows a pretty fair amount of rotation and throttle steering before it cuts in.

When I left the car in sport mode it never really shifted fast enough and would sometimes give me a downshift when I realy didn't need it. NHIS is a tight track except for the front straight I could get up to about 130mph by the end but after a few runs around I would only go 100mph on the front straight since that was about the speed at which I could enter the oval without having to brake. If you can stay in manual mode and use 1 or 2 gears I think that will allow you to focus on your line and braking points ect.

One thing you will probably have to deal with is a brake overheated warning, after my runs I would leave the track and drive for about 10 minutes before the brakes would cool enough for the warning to go out. It will depend a lot of course on the track that you run it at.

If anyone knows for sure what the brake overheated waring is actually measuring I would love to know for sure I assume it is fluid temp but where would be the question at the caliper, master cylinder or some point in between. I wouldn't doubt that most cars have overheated brakes but ours is the only one that tells us. My rotors already had surface cracks all over and the track made it worse, the good news is they never faded. If you have less than 12,000 miles and your car is less than 12 months old they will warranty them once beyond that I think you have to raise a stink.

The stock tires suck for the track and they will definitely be your limiting factor, if you have the time and the $$$ to get a set of track tires it will be more than worth it. Your street tires will also be in pretty poor shape by the end of the day and you will notice it in the ride and noise on the street. Mine are getting near replacement anyway so i didn't really care.

two things are for sure you will be very impressed with the capabilities of the car and you will have a blast! Enjoy!!
Old 11-20-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I assume you are running with tracquest next weekend. Another thing is your street tires will become rather slick after they heat up. If you have too much air in them, they will feel like ice after about 4 laps. I feel mine going away after the 3rd lap.

Monitor them closely as street tires are much more prone to chunking from being overheated.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 AM

Derek, yes I am running with tracquest. I met Todd Serota last year when they were in town. Was going to take my Porsche 911 out last year, but ended up leaving town for work. : (I love it when people say "I wished I owned a business so I could do what i wanted to") I sold it and my H2 this year and went to one vehicle.

Schiznick, I live in Birmingham, Al. I have been to the complex and watched this will be my first time to drive t though. :v

Pas, thanks for all the tips Still under 12k miles. Maybe new waranty rotors next week

Anybody have suggestions on good track tires for the E? I can pick some up this week. If my brother is in town we can load up the equipment and change them at the track.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What tires are you running? Street tires like PS2's are good but like all street tires, will begin to deteriorate after 3-4 laps. With extra air in them to prevent the sides from rolling over, they'll eventually feel as slick as ice.

I run the P Zero Corsas on my Noble which are a DOT approved R compound street tire. They are very sticky and just happen to be the same size as the E. They feel great on the E. BUT, if you are going to get tires just for the track and plan to do it more than just once, then I would get real slicks. I see no reason to have a second set of track only tires and them not be the best tires possible for the track.

If you're not sure if you'll do it more than this but you still want a tire that will do better on the track than a street tire, then find an R compound tire. The Pirellis kick the PS2's butts (as to be expected with a 60 treadware rating) but can be hard to find. I recommend you call tirerack today if you want tires. If they have time, get them shaved and heat cycled.

Definitely follow the advice above about driving in manual mode. You do not want to have to floor it to get the car to downshift as that creates un-needed delay and more troublesome in my opinion, it will unbalance/unsettle the car which is very detrimental to your performance.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by chaos4all
Derek, yes I am running with tracquest. I met Todd Serota last year when they were in town. Was going to take my Porsche 911 out last year, but ended up leaving town for work. : (I love it when people say "I wished I owned a business so I could do what i wanted to") I sold it and my H2 this year and went to one vehicle.

Schiznick, I live in Birmingham, Al. I have been to the complex and watched this will be my first time to drive t though. :v

Pas, thanks for all the tips Still under 12k miles. Maybe new waranty rotors next week

Anybody have suggestions on good track tires for the E? I can pick some up this week. If my brother is in town we can load up the equipment and change them at the track.
I hope i'm wrong for your sake, but good luck on getting warranty rotors after tracking the car LOL. Those things will be so full of heat cracks your service advisor will probably laugh. It might be even tougher since your calipers will probably be yellow!!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
What tires are you running? Street tires like PS2's are good but like all street tires, will begin to deteriorate after 3-4 laps. With extra air in them to prevent the sides from rolling over, they'll eventually feel as slick as ice.

I run the P Zero Corsas on my Noble which are a DOT approved R compound street tire. They are very sticky and just happen to be the same size as the E. They feel great on the E. BUT, if you are going to get tires just for the track and plan to do it more than just once, then I would get real slicks. I see no reason to have a second set of track only tires and them not be the best tires possible for the track.

If you're not sure if you'll do it more than this but you still want a tire that will do better on the track than a street tire, then find an R compound tire. The Pirellis kick the PS2's butts (as to be expected with a 60 treadware rating) but can be hard to find. I recommend you call tirerack today if you want tires. If they have time, get them shaved and heat cycled.

Definitely follow the advice above about driving in manual mode. You do not want to have to floor it to get the car to downshift as that creates un-needed delay and more troublesome in my opinion, it will unbalance/unsettle the car which is very detrimental to your performance.
Corsa is a fantastic tire for track use. It rides extremely well and even works fine in the wet.

I think it makes a great tire for the E55. I use them on a C32 track car and they feel 3-4x better than the dunlop super sport race DOT legal R comp tire.

I hear the Corsa does not like cars will low amounts of negative camber? Is this true? I have only put 4 laps on the car with the corsa's because we had a intercooler pump failure but they feel very stable and sticky when up to temp. Hope the work well.

Good luck with the E55!