W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger chirp worse since dyno......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Supercharger chirp worse since dyno......

So friggin hard to describe, but when you guys slowly accelerate from a stop light, how bad would you rate your "lunge"? Ahhhh, this is probably a waste of time as each guys sensitivity is different. Just seems like since my dyno run, the squeal is pretty darn loud now and the surge is pretty pronounced.

I swear it feels sometimes like when she changes gears under mild driving accel, it feels like someone is tapping the car in the rear....are you guys experiencing surge at all on acceleration. Not goosing, just wimpy stuff....

It is almost as if the car is quickly cutting out to change gears.

Gonna try the stop squeal on the super charger clutch, but of course if I go in for service, I bang into the mod issue with dealer from hell around here.

Such is life in the mod world I guess.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 11-20-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
It would be nice to see an aftermarket belt that would help decrease or eliminate the chirp that we all are experiencing.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Okay cool, so we are all chirping.....(well not just me)

Can you really feel it when blower engages? How bout gear shifts in S mode...is it pretty hard. C mode seems pretty smooth, but S can be like getting kicked in the back sometime.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I can hear it at idle (somewhat) and at WOT. I guess its not as bad as yours.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so try some belt dressing to get the belt to tack up a bit.

jordan
Old 11-20-2005, 11:41 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Known problem that MB says we need to live with (sad but true for a $90K sedan). All the 55K motors will chirp, just a matter of time.

Yes, you can fix it but it will come back.

After some time you get use to it
Old 11-20-2005, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Known problem that MB says we need to live with (sad but true for a $90K sedan). All the 55K motors will chirp, just a matter of time.

Yes, you can fix it but it will come back.

After some time you get use to it
yeah I just kind of ignore it now. I still say an aftemaket belt might help or cure the problem.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Okay cool....no biggee. Chirping it is.

Freaky. Can't wait someday for turbs......then I guess I will be b itching about lag....always somethin.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:57 AM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Okay cool, so we are all chirping.....(well not just me)

Can you really feel it when blower engages? How bout gear shifts in S mode...is it pretty hard. C mode seems pretty smooth, but S can be like getting kicked in the back sometime.
I notice the "kicked in the back" in first gear the most, second gear somewhat, and third and above very little.

It seemed counter-intuitive to me, but my theory is that because the engine revs freer in first gear and the time it takes for the supercharger to engage is relatively constant, the RPM stumble is more abrupt in first gear versus third. Another factor is that in normal driving, at a given load the supercharger engagement will occur at a higher RPM in first gear than in a higher gear.

That would be my guess as to why you notice it more in S than C, it's occuring in first in S and in second in C.

For just driving around in M mode, I try to get through first and second before the supercharger engagement, then bring on the throttle once in third.

Oh ... and I have grown to love the chirp ... it's my signal to stand on it :-). I gave up on the whole stop squeal thing.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 11-21-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
There is a TSB about this of course, and MB's stance is "there is a fix in the works" - that is why most MB dealerships won't try to fix the chirp - they can't fix it permanently and are being told by MB to wait for the fix.

-m
Old 11-21-2005, 11:30 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
There is a TSB about this of course, and MB's stance is "there is a fix in the works" - that is why most MB dealerships won't try to fix the chirp - they can't fix it permanently and are being told by MB to wait for the fix.

-m

My gut tells me that with the next gen engines not being SC, they will never have a fix
Old 11-21-2005, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
So last thing....now that we've resolved (that it won't be resolved) the chirp issue.

Are you shifts in S mode real punchy and rough. (1st to 2nd....little better 2nd to 3rd) I have it in C mode and she starts nice and smooth in 2nd and shifts real smooth, but S is a trip. Always been this way, but as I mentioned after dyno, it seems worse.

Just wanna make sure not having a little tranny trouble.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
My gut tells me that with the next gen engines not being SC, they will never have a fix

That's their fix - drop the SC

I had an SLK32 that had a really bad SC chirp. This was back in 2002, hard to believe they couldn't fix the problem in 4+years.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Strangely I felt this surge come on when I came to a stop at a light. I would come to a completely stop at the light, and then out of nowhere th car just lunged ahead. I had to slam the brake pedal to stop the car. It was really weird. It's happened twice since I owned the car...weird...
Old 11-21-2005, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
I've just learned to live with my "chirp". At least I know the SC is engaging.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:37 AM

a few...
I have had mine really bad lately. It will give a huge kick in the back after you get on it enough to just about wind out 1st and it wont shift to 2nd except for well after you are off it. I have had the lunging too.

I just live it with it for now, I think I will try the fix that was on this board a while back but otherwise I guess thats just part of having a 55 engine with a SC.

Have any of you had any steering pump noise or anything like that? just wondering becuase the past two days I have noticed a noise that seems like it is from the steering pump.

And if anyone finds a cure for the chirp, post it up immediately....
Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
You obviously don't have a good enough subwoofer.

Crank up the tunes and you won't hear the extraneous noises.

This the only way I can stand my wife's M3 Convertible. It's rattles like a bag of bolts. Drives me crazy.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
So last thing....now that we've resolved (that it won't be resolved) the chirp issue.

Are you shifts in S mode real punchy and rough. (1st to 2nd....little better 2nd to 3rd) I have it in C mode and she starts nice and smooth in 2nd and shifts real smooth, but S is a trip. Always been this way, but as I mentioned after dyno, it seems worse.

Just wanna make sure not having a little tranny trouble.
Hmm ... I'd guess that the S mode shifting you note is from transmission adapting to its run on the dyno and being more aggressive. I have no basis for saying that, other than it might be possible and would be a less expensive explanation and less of a hassle than the alternative of tranny trouble.

If I keep throttle constant and the supercharger isn't engaged in first gear, as the second gear shift occurs the supercharger will often engage because of the change in engine load. This makes the shift feel rough to me.

- First gear/no supercharger shifting to second gear/with supercharger
is much rougher than
- Second gear/no supercharger shifting to third gear/with supercharger

So ... C mode definitely stands for "Comfort" for me. Although, I drive mostly in M mode.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by merc655
I have had mine really bad lately. It will give a huge kick in the back after you get on it enough to just about wind out 1st and it wont shift to 2nd except for well after you are off it. I have had the lunging too.

I just live it with it for now, I think I will try the fix that was on this board a while back but otherwise I guess thats just part of having a 55 engine with a SC.

Have any of you had any steering pump noise or anything like that? just wondering becuase the past two days I have noticed a noise that seems like it is from the steering pump.

And if anyone finds a cure for the chirp, post it up immediately....
Steering pump noise - I had the idler pulley close to the steering pump changed, and I also had the idler pulley on the passenger side changed. Due to the location of the noise, I thought it was the steering pump going bad but it turned out that it wasn't.

I also have fresh belts. I got into my CL55 used, these pulley and belt fixes occured at the ~30K mileage mark.

But, I forget the particulars, I have a tandem steering pump/ABC pump that may be different from the E55 config (??).

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 11-22-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:38 AM

a few...
Thanks for the info. I thought it was the steering pump but I am guessing you have heard the same thing before. I will talk to my Serv Manager and have him fix it this weekend. It just has gotten worse in the past few days and I was just thinkin what could possibly be wrong.