Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 Diamond Black C230K
M5/E55 Killer...Watch Out!!!

From thecarconnection.com:

"Volkswagen did hint at what might come during Aftermarket Week, the annual convention of the Specialty Equipment Marketers Association. Though VW products are popular with the so-called "tuner" crowd, this was, notably, the first time the automaker attended the Las Vegas event.

The VW booth was crowded with wheels, tires, and other parts and accessories, but center stage was reserved for three high-performance prototypes, including the 535-horsepower Passat R-GT. With a top speed of 190 mph, one VW official described the show car as a potential "M5 killer," a reference to BMW's top performance model."

I'd like to try what the VW people are smoking.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 AM

2004 E55 AMG
socalled aftermarket? so if we said.. "Kleemann" or "Brabus".. would that contradict what you just posted?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
It's still a Passat.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I believe the Brab has officially raised the bar with the new 700hp monster. Shape of the new E's to come. 540hp? Phooey....I can't believe I just said phooey.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Almost a Member!

well VW now knows that the Phaeton selling new at $90,000 is worth $49,000 1 year later in resale. So, we know the world will not accept VW as a super car or a luxury sedan at that. This car is built in the "bently" plant but who cares, IT"S STILL A Volkswagon! I will protect myself here, "it is my opionion" that the passat would almost twist in half if it had that much HP. That frame could not handle it under a warr. condition. Bring on the "fast and furious" want to b's, just more for us to put a frown on.

jordan
Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 Diamond Black C230K
Just read today on autoweek.com that VW is now going to produce a competitor to the CLS called the VW CC. The article says they are specifically targeting CLS customers for conquest. They really haven't learned their Phaeton lesson yet. Amazing.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Wow, I was in the booth, but didnt ask any questions. Had no idea the Passats I was checking out had that much power. Then again, all the hoods were closed when I was there. What's the point of building a car like that and not showing the wares? To me they just looked like new V-Dubs with nice wheels and lowered suspension.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
The only thing I have to say to this is Phaeton! Nothing more needs to be said. People, especially people in the USA, are not ready to commit to a VW product in excess of $50K if even that, let alone something at the $70K-$80K mark at which this supposed "M5 Killer" would likely be priced. Aint happenin'. If it had 4 rings on its nose, it would be a different story.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by VelocitE55
People, especially people in the USA, are not ready to commit to a VW product in excess of $50K if even that

Touareg goes all the way to 58k. Also, people in USA are paying 60-70k for lexus. Personally would take Touareg/Phaeton before ls430/landCruiser.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 Diamond Black C230K
Originally Posted by Belmondo
Touareg goes all the way to 58k. Also, people in USA are paying 60-70k for lexus. Personally would take Touareg/Phaeton before ls430/landCruiser.
You might not been saying that this time next year when the new L-finesse LS is out, and the Phaeton is, well, non-existent.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
The point is that $60K-$70K+ VW's arent about to fly in this country judging by the how fast the Phaeton sank.

Lexus has nothing to do with this discussion. It doesnt matter that people are spending $70K for a Lexus because they have been for some time now and Lexus is held in high regard by many, far higher than VW in terms of luxury cars. Lexus is a benchmark luxury car manufacturer in the US with high resale value and high reliability. Its so popular in fact, that there will be a Lexus line sold in Japan now for the first time. The Lexus LF-A concept, a V10 supercar, is to be sold here too at $100K-$150K and it will sell, just wait and see.

Bottom line, price will determine the success of these new cars from VW. If they ask too much, these cars will go the way of the Phaeton.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM

The point is that $60K-$70K+ VW's arent about to fly in this country judging by the how fast the Phaeton sank.

Lexus has nothing to do with this discussion. It doesnt matter that people are spending $70K for a Lexus because they have been for some time now and Lexus is held in high regard by many, far higher than VW in terms of luxury cars.

Lexus has everything to do with this discussion. The point is that everyone even toyota and honda can make lux cars as in Lexus/Acura. But unlike Toyotas Lexus or Hondas Acura VW does not have the brains to sell Lux cars it can make. Phaeton tanked not because it is a car inferior to Lexus but due to VW's selling strategy. Nissans Infinity every bit as good/reliable as Lexus but does not sell as well either. Know how to sell is as important as know how to design lux car. That is the point. The ability to produce very good car is only half the problem , when you know hoe to sell it that is when car becomes successful.

MAy be VW should have "created" "LexInity" division and sold Phaeton there with better success.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:28 PM

04 E55

Bottom line, price will determine the success of these new cars from VW. If they ask too much, these cars will go the way of the Phaeton.

VW's biggest problem in moving upscale is because it simply does not have the premium brand image. The car itself is not bad. But the rest of the ownership experience needs to move up.

I never understand why VW feels the need to move itself upscale. Audi is already in position to do that.

Instead VW moved Audi down scale with A3, and in the mean time moved VW upscale with phaeton.

The strategy makes no sesnse what so ever.

Why would anyone spend $70k on a VW, when he can spent the same money on an A8 that allows you to have better ownership experience.

Do you think anyone that buys a $70k would be happy sharing a dealership with a $20k jetta or beetle?

Buying a luxury car is not only about the car itself. It's an experience. Judging by typical response of this forum, the whole brand image is extremely important.

The Passat R+ what ever VW wants to call it would do extremely well in a 4 ring badge. But with a VW badge, i doubt it will fly.

Touraeq will probably take a huge sales hit when the Audi version arrives as Q7. There really isn't any product differentiation not to mention the price differentiation probably not going to be that great either.

VW really needs a better strategy in US.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Relax, folks. VW is not going to put a 535hp Passat into production. If that was the case, it would have introduced them at, say, New York, Frankfurt, etc. auto shows. SEMA is a show for the AFTERMARKET industry. VW did not build these vehicles. HPA, (http://hpamotorsports.com) a well-regarded VW did all the work. You don't have to wait for VW to build one for you (which would have a timeframe of: NEVER), as I'm sure HPA would me more than happy to accomodate, even though the total cost would probably be more than an E55 or M5.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
It's still a Passat.
...read my mind.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Lexus has everything to do with this discussion. The point is that everyone even toyota and honda can make lux cars as in Lexus/Acura. But unlike Toyotas Lexus or Hondas Acura VW does not have the brains to sell Lux cars it can make. Phaeton tanked not because it is a car inferior to Lexus but due to VW's selling strategy. Nissans Infinity every bit as good/reliable as Lexus but does not sell as well either. Know how to sell is as important as know how to design lux car. That is the point. The ability to produce very good car is only half the problem , when you know hoe to sell it that is when car becomes successful.

MAy be VW should have "created" "LexInity" division and sold Phaeton there with better success.
VW's selling strategy was complete stupidity and a money losing effort. They have their "upscales" brand and it is called "AUDI." Here's the break down:

Toyota : Lexus
Honda : Acura
Nissan : Infinity and

VW : Audi. Lexus is a Toyota that was marketed extremely well. They granted Lexus dealerships to the top 10% of Toyota dealers in the USA, and told them they could NOT sell Lexus alongside any other brand (notice there are not Lexus/Chevrolet combo dealerships around?).
VW should have played it smart and placed the Phaeton in AUDI's line-up.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
VW's selling strategy was complete stupidity and a money losing effort. They have their "upscales" brand and it is called "AUDI." Here's the break down:

Toyota : Lexus
Honda : Acura
Nissan : Infinity and

VW : Audi. Lexus is a Toyota that was marketed extremely well. They granted Lexus dealerships to the top 10% of Toyota dealers in the USA, and told them they could NOT sell Lexus alongside any other brand (notice there are not Lexus/Chevrolet combo dealerships around?).
VW should have played it smart and placed the Phaeton in AUDI's line-up.
They can't. Because Phaeton's sister car A8 is already in Audi's lineup.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:48 PM

02 ML320, 06 E350
You guys do know this is the last year for the Phaeton right? they just announced this a while back the last one for the US will be built in February of 06, i think they are stopping world wide production also but i am not sure.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
[QUOTE=krispykrme]VW's biggest problem in moving upscale is because it simply does not have the premium brand image.QUOTE]

This is exactly the point of my last post. Like I said, price will play a big role here, as they arent gonna be selling many at $60-$70K based on their image in the US.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by krispykrme
Do you think anyone that buys a $70k would be happy sharing a dealership with a $20k jetta or beetle?

Or someone that buys a $185k SL65 AMG sharing a dealership with a $25k C coupe?!?!

Oh wait. Nevermind.