Off-topic - midsize SUV?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Off-topic - midsize SUV?

My wife has been making noise about ditching her SL for some time, but now that winter is here, she's finally decided she wants a midsize SUV.

She wants to check out the new ML500 and also the Cayenne S. I know nothing about the Porsche. Anyone here have one or know others who have one? She wants to be able to carry 3-4 people or our 2 dogs without having to drive our 4dr Titan (and I don't let her drive my E55)

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML or cayenne... tough choice... Id personally go with the Cayenne...
Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 ML320, 06 E350
I would go with the ML, dont look at the past record of W163 ML the new W163 is a whole different car better looking smoother riding more reliable and best of all is very close if not better than the old ML off road. The porsche is a good SUV but if you took off the badges and asked people if it was a WV or porsche not to many people could tell them apart. also audi is making a new suv and guess what it uses the same porsche platform. the porsche just loses value like a rock and i am a big porsche fan but i think it is a failure on porsche part. I know where i live they have a ton of the porsches sitting and they are offering big discounts, i also live by 3 big mercedes dealerships and they arnt making many deals on the new ML. i suggest you take a weekend test drive of both cars.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Between the ML and the Cayenne, I'd pick the Cayenne based on the fact it will probably be more fun to drive. Everyone I've talked to that has driven one tells me it drives like a sports sedan. However, my current tastes run to the Range Rover Sport, which will probably replace my wife's Touareg within the next few months.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Wanye,

Give the new Range Rover Sport a look over. We have a full size now (QX56) and have been doddling the thought of stepping down a bit in size but picking up something fresh. The RR Sport looks the business, and is available with the supercharged 4.2L V8 out of the Jaguars. It's a nice truck, take a look at one.

-m
Old 11-21-2005, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Thanks, guys.

Here's my thoughts on ML vs. Cayenne... around here, there are MLs everywhere. I've driven the older model and really disliked it. Very poor driving dynamics, underpowered (I drove the 430) and just plain ugly. The Cayenne is a more attractive mini-ute and I have heard (not experienced yet) that it splits the difference between a sports-sedan and SUV, regarding the driving experience. I've driven a Toureg V8 and actually liked it, the Cayenne just looks a little nicer than the VW (in my eyes).

I had thought about the Range Rover Sport, too. I wasn't sure on the quality and driving experience. I'd even jump to the HSE if my wife likes that size better, but we have a friend with one and it lives in the shop
Old 11-21-2005, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Haha.... what an irony.... our Cayenne S may leave us today Don't ask why.... I'd give you a very strange answer that you may think I'm But one has something to do depreciation vs. current offer. So don't be surprised if you find me w/ another Cayenne in couple months (hopefully the turbo one).

Anyway, I faced the same thing also but decided to go w/ Cayenne. FYI, Cayenne built quality (at least for '04) is not that consistent. If you buy a new one, make sure you get the one that you test drive. Drive it on highway.... I've heard a lot of complaints about the steering wheel wobbling on highway. Mine is not.... but I may be the lucky one.

Some other things that you need to be aware of.... remote key is quite problematic....

As for performance, I am personally not that impressed.... If you have the $$$, get the turbo one. That is one hell of an SUV. Superb handling for an SUV & good power.

I'd suggest you get a used but new one (i.e. '05/'06 w/ < 10K miles). You could get used turbo for the price of a new loaded "S" ($70K-$75K). And most turbo is fully loaded (just like AMG & regular merc).

Some of the features that I found useful (most of them are standard on turbo): navigation, bi-xenon, air suspension, parktronics & psm.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
I found a 2005 Cayenne Turbo about 1.5hrs from me, at a dealer, for $85k. It has 3k miles on it and I'm sure they will come off the price a bit. Once we test drive one, I'll know more if it's even in the running.

The MB and Land Rover dealers are close to the house, so we may visit them tonight.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Why don't you get the ML63? :v It'll be for sure better than cayenne turbo.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
When's the 63 release? My wife wants a new car now... she doesn't even want a Cayenne Turbo, if she likes the Cayenne at all, I'll just nudge her in that direction because I hate things that are slow.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:42 PM

04 E500 Brabus Wagon
audi A6 4.2 V-8 wagon

The Audi A-6 wagon with the quatrro drive system and a V-8 are nice looking, pretty rare, fun to drive, and in foul weather they really shine. Auid interiors are also really nicely done. Check one out
Old 11-21-2005, 07:21 PM

02 ML320, 06 E350
how much do you want to spend? is what it comes down to it. your going to pay a lot for the porsche name tag. where you could get a VW for much less with the same options. the thing about the new ML it doesnt share what a lesser brand name. go take a test drive of the new ML its nothing like the old one i can assure you of that. as far as one being more fun to drive a friend of mine liked his X5 4.4 better than his porsche he said he felt he got more out of the engine down low instead of having to get it up in RPM to get power. If you can stand BMWs i suggest adding the X5 into the category its a good on road SUV but both the ML and porsche will do better off-road.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
I find the new ML500 really nice, nice big seats which are more comfortable than the Cayenne.

The problem wih the Cayenne (I drove the turbo version), is that the transmission starts off in second gear aways, so there's always a lag then a kick down. A little annoying if you're used to the bulletproof MB transmission.

I personally would pick the ML500 over the Cayenne S today. Of course, one can wait for the ML63, Cayenne Turbo S, ML550, the list goes on...
Old 11-21-2005, 08:15 PM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
that range rover sport has a handsome interior, but a surprisingly plastique-looking exterior in reality v. photos.

and for those of you who are uninitiated, the drivetrain featuring the supercharged engine and 6-speed tranny from the jaguar R cars take note: www.thelurch.com

don't say i didn't warn you... that drivetrain's a thoroughgoing piece of ****e, reliabilitywise (great fun to drive when it's "on", though...).

v
Old 11-21-2005, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
We checked an ML out tonight. No drive, the wife didn't feel like trudging out to the lot in the rain. The ML350 we looked at inside the showroom would be the perfect size, according to her. The AMG sport appearance package dresses it up nicely, with it's different bumper and 19" AMG wheels. We'll find one and drive it, along with a Cayenne S.

We stopped by the Land Rover dealer and my wife saw a Sport model. She didn't like any of their models, so their reliability isn't really an issue.

Thanks much for all the input, I appreciate it.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 AM

a few...
If you are lookin at Cayenne vs ML. It is really only a matter of opinion. I have heard only good things about the ML plus the Cayenne back seat is really straight up and down if you ask me. If you are planning on keepin them for a while, I think the Cayenne is getting a facelift soon??? But I did hear that the new Turbo S will replace reg Turbo Cayenne soon.

Look into the Range if you want to, they are great cars. My father is on his third and they are still great cars. The older one, well not old but 03 was kinda problematic but none with the new ones so far...

Also look into a wagon possibly? There is a 05 E55 wagon at Mercedes Benz of Naples, FL. Silver with about 3k miles on it, it used to be ours so it is literally brand new. Solid black interior with light wood. Just throwin it out there if you are interested.... Might be a little bit higher up in price though.

But the ML vs Cayenne is really just a matter of opinion, both are great suvs.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
We drove an ML500 tonight. I like the AMG Sport package, but the wife likes the standard car just fine. She told me to buy some wheels for her in the spring instead of spending $4000 for bumpers and 19" AMG wheels.

She loved the thing, doesn't even want to test drive the Cayenne. We'll probably do the deal this week/end.