Big Phat Dyno W211 -- 484.1 rwhp/558.78 rwtq

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Grumpy,

Yes I follow you now...the peak torque is invalid on the first run. I however was VERY suprised that the Cut-outs did not LOSE HP and TQ. Everytime I run on the street (not too often) I bait with the open exhaust and switch to closed because to me it "felt" faster ...perhaps because it was quiet. I did race a CBR 600 F2 from 0-120mph and lost by 1.5 cars.

Jack pro...I agree lets stick to rwhp only

Erik -- whats up! The cut out set up is nasty I will PM you.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 CLS63
great numbers!!! gotta love the rwtq!!!!

john
Old 11-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by e55 baller
I however was VERY suprised that the Cut-outs did not LOSE HP and TQ.
You probably did lose torque, but it's hidden in the tire spin. WRT HP, I suspect that, with your mods, you're probably right at the limit of what your stock exhaust system can flow. With the cutouts cracked open there's better upper RPM scavenging, which is reflected in the leaner A/F ratio, and hence, 2% more power. Since the cutouts are downstream of everything but the muffler, the muffler is your current restriction.

Personally, I don't like the sound of open exhaust on a street car, especially on a class act like the E55. The factory muffler is a big-*** can and takes up a lot of space. If I had your car, and if space permits, I would replace the factory can with two small-body, performance mufflers in a vertical orientation. I would run the stock pipe to something like a Flowmaster 50 Series delta flow, which has a deep, mellow tone and is fairly quiet at idle. Then I would run the output from the cutout to something like a 40 Series, which is louder and less restrictive. If done carefully, you could maintain the factory look with the original bumper extentions. It would sound mean in cruise mode and then let the world know your car has the cajones when you flip the switch.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be full of it.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Most tests have shown that the Flowmasters are no longer the benchmark for low restriction mufflers since they are not even a straight thru design. Flowmasters use a series of baffles which reflect soundwaves into each other for some cancellation of noise

The Magnaflows for one have been proven to have less restriction with better sound regulation. Note the straight thru design.

Last edited by eclou; 11-29-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM

Virtually all glasspack mufflers have the straight-thru design, including the Cherry Bombs of years gone bye. But they have that characteristic glasspack sound, which I don't like. I prefer the sound of a chambered muffler, like the Flowmaster or the more aggressive Rhino. And the minor flow differences between the available performance muffler types don't necessisarily translate into more power. Just choose the one that sounds best to you.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Virtually all glasspack mufflers have the straight-thru design, including the Cherry Bombs of years gone bye. But they have that characteristic glasspack sound, which I don't like. I prefer the sound of a chambered muffler, like the Flowmaster or the more aggressive Rhino. And the minor flow differences between the available performance muffler types don't necessisarily translate into more power. Just choose the one that sounds best to you.
Muffler sounds are an acquired taste. Not all will appeal to everyone. But Flowmasters on any healthy V8 leads to siginificant droning at cruising speeds. I loved having dual Flowmasters on my old 78 6.6l Trans Am, hated it on my LS1 Silverado. Magnaflows sound very, very mellow and have no Glasspack noise characterstics.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
I had an ugly supertrap on my old '93 RX7 with no pre or main cat, it screamed at WOT...my friends could hear me 1/2 mile before I got home. I remembered the more baffles I put on better the low end and worse the upper end HP.

I am now interested to see if the true torque reading would be in excess of 558 w/o the tires burning on the dyno w/ the cut outs closed.

On my way home tonight a S80 T-6 (I just sold mine) pulled up and wanted to race...I let him go and could tell he had some work since I just sold mine and know its a 14.9@98mph ET car..

It was fast -- probably high 13/low 14 car. At the light I let him roll out and just stayed side by side until about 35 and then punched it....it looked like I went through a worm hole as I was instantly like 12 cars in front of him by the top of 3rd in M mode.

Even with PS2s, and LSD from <35mph I just spin spin spin. With BFGs I don't think it would be much better since at stock HP I spun 30 feet w/ and LSD.

Do we have too much torque down low?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by e55 baller
Do we have too much torque down low?
Torque down low is good.
More torque down low is better.
Too much torque down low is just right. :v
Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 PM

'08 CLS63
perfect reply!