Sponsored by:

Ran with my wife last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
Just got back from running the M5 agains the 06 E55 (stock) on high speed runs...we did this around 1:45AM on the freeway (was surprised how empty it was).

E55 - S Mode, Sport 2 Airmatic setting, Traction on
M5 - P500 Sport, EDC 2, S6

From 10 roll, the E55 pulls ahead about 3/4 car length and by 85 or so the M5 is ahead by 1/2 to 3/4 car and starts to pull away.

From 50 roll, the M5 pulls ahead by 1/2 car and by 80 is about a full car ahead and starst to pull away.

From 80 roll, the M5 seems to be even til about 105 and starts to pull (this was sorta strange)

We did 57 roll up to 145 or 147 (was moving too fast and just blinked at my HUD) and the M5 was really far ahead, could not count...saw small headlights in the rearview mirror.

We tried 3 races from the start and the E55 was clearly ahead by a full car by 20 and actually pulled about 2 cars or so by 55 and the M5 starts catching it by 105 and is about a hood length behind and by 115 is about even. This was very similar in all 3 runs from a dig.

The M5's strength is clearly once it's rolling and weakness (no secret here) is off the line due to weak torque in the lower RPM Range. The E55 seemed to catapault off the line, it was simply amazing seeing the car take off like that.

I will try this again once my buddy in his 06 gets his pulley and ECU if my let's me out at 1:30AM again...she was wondering why it took so long to buy Milk...LOL

Are you nuts! What beltway did you hit 147? We should try getting together with your 06 E55 buddy and run all three at various start speeds and compare.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by cte430
Good story Alex!! I remember I had my car for a few months and my wife also sends me out to buy milk. I'm walking into a 7-11 and I see a yellow viper (not the v10) with two "kids". I see one laughing and kind of looking at my car. I ask if there is a problem and they say no. "Really, what's wrong", I say. "Well, are those exhaust pipes stock or did you put them on"? I say they are stock, why? the other laughs and says how funny he thinks it is for a 4 dr. "family sedan" to have pipes to make it "look sporty". "REALLY", I say. Obvioulsy dad gave him the keys and he has no idea about cars. I tell him I'll bet him $50 bucks if he can beat me in a race. They both crack up laughing. "You know what, you can even hold the $50" I tell him. It was also kind of late and we pull out and no one is around. It's right on the corner with a traffic light. WE line up, light turns green and he's done (****ty driver, to boot). We circle back to 7-11 and they get out and their like "wtf is that"!! My response - A 4DR FAMILY SEDAN.

I go back home all pumped up, walk in and my wife goes - "what took you so long and where's the milk" LOL First thing that came into my head was "I forgot to get it". She's like WTF is wrong with you? then told her I had to race someone, she shook her head like she's talking to a child and went to bed.
That is hillarious!!!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Are you nuts! What beltway did you hit 147? We should try getting together with your 06 E55 buddy and run all three at various start speeds and compare.
For some strange reason, 495 was pretty wide open last night for a Friday night except for a few stragglers here and there. Maybe everyone was still out clubbing.

Our initial intention was to run up to about 100 or so and stop but 495 was so wide open we said "What the hell".

Man I have to admit that it's been like "forever" since I went that fast and being that I'm getting older 147 felt like 300 MPH. Scary and fun at the same time.

My buddy is scheduled to get his pulley installed the 1st week of Jan, and due to temp his car should fare much better.

I was pretty shocked by the results and pretty confused about a couple of them as they didn't really make sense. I guess there are so many factors involved that one could never really understand why 1 scenerio is so different than the other.

You back yet?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned

w210 E55
Just got back from running the M5 agains the 06 E55 (stock) on high speed runs...we did this around 1:45AM on the freeway (was surprised how empty it was).

From 10 roll, the E55 pulls ahead about 3/4 car length and by 85 or so the M5 is ahead by 1/2 to 3/4 car and starts to pull away.

From 50 roll, the M5 pulls ahead by 1/2 car and by 80 is about a full car ahead and starst to pull away.

From 80 roll, the M5 seems to be even til about 105 and starts to pull (this was sorta strange)

We did 57 roll up to 145 or 147 (was moving too fast and just blinked at my HUD) and the M5 was really far ahead, could not count...saw small headlights in the rearview mirror.

We tried 3 races from the start and the E55 was clearly ahead by a full car by 20 and actually pulled about 2 cars or so by 55 and the M5 starts catching it by 105 and is about a hood length behind and by 115 is about even. This was very similar in all 3 runs from a dig.

The M5's strength is clearly once it's rolling and weakness (no secret here) is off the line due to weak torque in the lower RPM Range. The E55 seemed to catapault off the line, it was simply amazing seeing the car take off like that.

I will try this again once my buddy in his 06 gets his pulley and ECU if my let's me out at 1:30AM again...she was wondering why it took so long to buy Milk...LOL
I usually volunteer to go to the store for a little "hunting" on the way :v

(well.....not as cool of ^ races though!...........scions,saturns,and kias seem to like the race the most )

Sweet write up!
Old 12-17-2005, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Hey krispykrme, nice talking to you in person the other night. Feel free to drop by the shop anytime especially when you go racing at cushing/automall. LOL. I am right across NUMMI so i hope to see you sometime!
Old 12-17-2005, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
every one said that there was no more power to be made from the high strung engine.They said that bmw has headers stock and so on.

I have already looked up the carbon filters and they are there for usa epa regulations.They are not on euro cars.

do a search and see how I said 600hp will be no problem with this engine and see how bad every one said it was maxed out from the get go.

add euro L/C and take out the filters and you pretty much get exactly what gust was trying to tell us the whole time.
skratch, BS. You really are ignorant if you think that it is in any way "easy" to pick up 100 horsepower on *any* engine that doesn't have forced induction.

Show me any independent, third-party dyno tests, and by independent I mean NOT one bought and paid for by the party selling the modifications, a clear conflict of interest.

To get a 20% increase on a NA motor WILL require changing out internals, period. It is NOT possible without new heads, cams, quite possibly pistons, and multiple other mods.

To think that you can get it without rebuilding the internals of the motor is a dream, and a very wet one at that.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Improviz
So, even after a guy who owns both the M5 and the Gallardo, and another who has driven both, and the EVO article, ****AND**** the video *****ALL***** show that the Gallardo is faster in a rolling-start run, what do you do?

Still claim that the M5 is as fast as the Gallardo.

No light can penetrate the fog that surrounds...

Not the last race, the first race. The last race, where he put the M5 in the mostest fastest settings, still had the M losing to the Gallardo.

But you were, and still are, wrong about the Gallardo.

And the issue here is your trolling, in a Mercedes forum, to constantly tell us how great, wonderful, superlative, incredible, fantastic, yadda yadda ya, the new M5 is in your opinion.

It gets annoying after a while. I mean, sheesh, you like it? Buy one and be done with it...why pester us with it constantly??

The E55 and M5 both sell for the same amount, roughly, so what is your intention? Anyone here could, if they so chose, buy an M5; some have, others have not.

Wtf is it to you what personal, subjective purchasing decisions they've made?

Do you go to your friends' houses and tell them they should get a different house? A different girlfriend or spouse? That they should dress differently?

Wait a minute...are you telling me that stock cars can be modified to produce more horsepower?!?!? HOLY ****!! I never knew that....thanks for pointing that out. I mean, when I saw that Eclipse running an 11.2 a few months ago, I just thought the guy was a good driver!!

Caveat emptor...those filters may be there for a good reason; I doubt the engineers stuck 'em in there for looks.
Impro you are something else! LOL!!! :p
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
skratch, BS. You really are ignorant if you think that it is in any way "easy" to pick up 100 horsepower on *any* engine that doesn't have forced induction.

Show me any independent, third-party dyno tests, and by independent I mean NOT one bought and paid for by the party selling the modifications, a clear conflict of interest.

To get a 20% increase on a NA motor WILL require changing out internals, period. It is NOT possible without new heads, cams, quite possibly pistons, and multiple other mods.

To think that you can get it without rebuilding the internals of the motor is a dream, and a very wet one at that.
go do some resear on m engines my friend.

delage has an na kit for the m3 that gets up to 340rwhp and 365whp with cams added to there full na kit.

hartge has an na kit that gets 540hp with the e39 m5,I could go on and on.

bmw has said this engine was spun to over 10,000 rpms on the ring.Just wait till some tuners add cams to there cars and rev them a little higher

hamann has 603hp out of the m5 with get ready
CHIP
RACE CATS
MANI

now your going to say you don't believe the ratings but Im sure there real for
the amount of money these mods will cost.

supersprint dyno'd 550hp with just there cat back.Now are you doubting Supersprint also?What about hartge with there 550hp claim with just a chip?

http://www.kineda.com/?p=740

all your tests will be out when some people try these mods out.A member on m5board put down 467whp bone stock.

heres some gains on an m3 with just headers.I laughed when people on here were saying that there is no gains because BMW uses headers stock ok

http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...VO.EXH.B46.H01

Last edited by skratch77; 12-19-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:49 AM

2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3

delage has an na kit for the m3 that gets up to 340rwhp and 365whp with cams added to there full na kit.

hartge has an na kit that gets 540hp with the e39 m5,I could go on and on.

bmw has said this engine was spun to over 10,000 rpms on the ring.Just wait till some tuners add cams to there cars and rev them a little higher

hamann has 603hp out of the m5 with get ready
CHIP
RACE CATS
MANI

now your going to say you don't believe the ratings but Im sure there real for
the amount of money these mods will cost.

supersprint dyno'd 550hp with just there cat back.Now are you doubting Supersprint also?What about hartge with there 550hp claim with just a chip?

http://www.kineda.com/?p=740

all your tests will be out when some people try these mods out.A member on m5board put down 467whp bone stock.

heres some gains on an m3 with just headers.I laughed when people on here were saying that there is no gains because BMW uses headers stock ok

http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...VO.EXH.B46.H01
I won't say that it's not possible, but I will agree with Impro on this: I'll believe the numbes when I see them tested by a magazine or other 3rd party impartial to the car and the upgrades in question.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55

This really says it all. And this is what some people have refused to understand or accept on both sides of the debate. From a dig, whether it is a tree or a traffic light, the M5 is not going to beat an E55 unless you are racing up to 120 mph. From a roll, the M5 will not suffer from its lack of low end torque, and will be faster. The greater the speed, the greater the M5's advantage.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Both in a similar price range,both offer a different approach to sports sedan concept,both would appeal to different tastes and performance needs.
Anybody claiming overall superiority of one over the other is either a complete fool or someone who never was able to drive /experience both.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I have, unlike you. I am an Engineer, you see, and have studied Physics, Statics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, and a lot of topics that are directly related to the subject of understanding how an internal combustion engine develops power.

You, on the other hand, by your own admission, "own a few pizza parlors".

So I ask you: what is your background in engineering to qualify such claims?

Can you provide a brief explanation of how one would go about raising the power of an internal combustion engine by 20% with no internal changes?

You then go on to quote the claims by firms who sell aftermarket modifications, but as I said before: these are claims. I want proof.

I saw an ad on television for a creme which will remove cellulite. Yet every there is no medical evidence that any such creme actually exists.

There are ads all the time claiming that certain herbs prevent cancer. None of them have been proven to do so. There are products which claim to reduce your weight by 50 lbs. in one month. They do not work.

There is a clear conflict of evidence here: of course the people who SELL it, and stand to PROFIT from its sale, can make claims. But magazines have done tests on chips on NA motors, and found these claims to be bogus.

Car & Driver, a few years ago, ran an article entitled "Chips Ahoy!", wherein they tested several manufacturers' chips on cars with NA motors, including two BMWs. These were Dinan chips.

The results: NO MEASUREABLE PERFORMANCE GAINS.

OK? So you can ignorantly quote the claims of people who have a vested interest in making inflated claims all day long, but until there is independent, third party testing done to support it, advertising claims won't cut it.

And as I said: Car & Driver already performed such tests, and found that the chips do not provide any measureable increase in performance. The ONLY car in the test to receive any benefit from a chip was the VW Passat 1.8T, and that was because the chip actually did something, i.e. raised the boost pressure of the turbos, which DID produce meeasurable performance gains. But NONE of the NA cars did, on MULTIPLE chips tested in MULTIPLE cars made by MULTIPLE manufacturers, *including* BMW.

Someone here needs to do some research, but it isn't me. Taking marketing claims over independent third-party testing is foolhardy, but as PT Barnum said: there's one born every minute. Caveat emptor.....

The other thing that I find infinitely amusing about you is that on one hand, you'll sit here and argue that BMW has performed one of the Greatest Engineering Feats in the History of Man in developing engines which produce 100 hp/l, and then turn around and argue that some small tuner outfit which doesn't have 1/1,000,000th the R&D budget of BMW can turn around and easily extract another 20-30% with a few simple mods, and of course they can do it within a few short months after the cars' release, even though BMW has been working on the engine's development for years!

I anxiously await a listing of your qualifications to comment on this subject, along with your dissertaion on how one obtains 20% horsepower increases from a NA motor without modifying its internals.

Last edited by Improviz; 12-19-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by absent
Both in a similar price range,both offer a different approach to sports sedan concept,both would appeal to different tastes and performance needs.
Anybody claiming overall superiority of one over the other is either a complete fool or someone who never was able to drive /experience both.
So true, and so much more concise, effective, polite and productive than the seemingly inevitable diatribes from some here.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MRichmond
So true, and so much more concise, effective, polite and productive than the seemingly inevitable diatribes from some here.
Some people take offense at being subjected to a constant barrage of trolls telling us how BMWs are oh so much better than Mercedes, and it shows sometimes.

Go to a BMW forum and post similar stuff about Mercedes and see what kind of diatribes you get in response.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 PM

M5
Some people take offense at being subjected to a constant barrage of trolls telling us how BMWs are oh so much better than Mercedes, and it shows sometimes.

Go to a BMW forum and post similar stuff about Mercedes and see what kind of diatribes you get in response.
I've been bashing the M5 visual design - and a little performance - on the M5forum for many months now. But, then there's a lot of that, so it's nothing new. You bet there are defensive responses and personal attacks. But, they get controlled and I personally don't see it too often. MRichmond just mildly ripped on me for not having seen an M5, which is not true. I'm not sure if he has owned a previous M5, but I'm not sure he sees things they way most previous M5 owners see them. You really have to be an owner of the previous design to really understand.

In any case, to my shock, I just found out that the 5 series owns 25% market share vs its competitors. That baffles me and tells me that BMW doesn't care about complaints made by prior owners. They're going to go with the flow and then they promoted Bangle. It looks like MB is doing the same with the S class. I'm hoping hard they don't do that with the new E class.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by a_ok2me
I've been bashing the M5 visual design - and a little performance - on the M5forum for many months now. But, then there's a lot of that, so it's nothing new. You bet there are defensive responses and personal attacks. But, they get controlled and I personally don't see it too often. MRichmond just mildly ripped on me for not having seen an M5, which is not true. I'm not sure if he has owned a previous M5, but I'm not sure he sees things they way most previous M5 owners see them. You really have to be an owner of the previous design to really understand.

In any case, to my shock, I just found out that the 5 series owns 25% market share vs its competitors. That baffles me and tells me that BMW doesn't care about complaints made by prior owners. They're going to go with the flow and then they promoted Bangle. It looks like MB is doing the same with the S class. I'm hoping hard they don't do that with the new E class.
What we have is an honest difference of opinion. What I posted on the M5 board in response to your comment that the leather on the E60 M5's doors looks plastic was, in part: "I won't address your personal stylistic preferances, but I don't think that anyone who actually has felt the leather used on the E60 M5 would make this comment." I certainly did not intend it as a rip but, rather, as an expression of how opposite my view is to yours. (I apparently wrongly assumed your lack of familiarity with the car.) We also will have to agree to disagree regarding the styling of the new models.

My main point here is that discussions of differences of opinions do not need to degenerate into vitriolic insults. As you recognize, that virtually never happens on the M5 board. The mere presence on this board of enthusiasts who enjoy or even prefer other makes should not be offensive. Nor should their expressions of opinions be castigated as "trolling." As absent aptly stated, absolutist claims that one manufacturer is better than another in all respects are not credible, especially when the manufacturers at issue are BMW and Mercedes. Each has tremendous cars to offer that serve different needs and desires, which is why my garage contains an example from each. And if someone is stirring the pot needlessly, perhaps the best response is not to be drawn into an inane argument that spirals out of control.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Here here re the flaming ... each to his own ... however !!!

If there is in fact a 7 second gap bewteen the M5 and E55 I would be very surprised because 0-1000m E55 is 22.9, CLK DTM is 20.8. (diff 2.1).

Krispy did you not mean 7 car lengths ... ??

I know I am substituting 1000m time for 150mph but its not a bad substitute I think.

So that puts M5 quicker than DTM over 1000m by around 5 seconds .... uhm I dont think so.

I do agree though (and it has also been proved here at the start of the thread) the M5 is quicker in the 100+ territory stock for stock - cannot argue with the physics of gearing. So can we all agree to accept this !?

Last edited by stevebez; 12-21-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:11 PM

Unfortunatly Not A Silver Star
Nice.......

Nice to see there are some women around that not only drive fast cars but also arnt afraid to use the gas pedal as well !
Old 12-22-2005, 05:53 PM

e55211 traded in for CLS55
Originally Posted by krispykrme
Interesting.

It's already difficult for me to convince my wife to run with me.

I do think a video is in order but someone needs to take it and host it. yes, i am lazy.

Perhaps when we meet? Mr. AMG---- looking for some help and love here.
I am pretty sure we can work out something. Let's try to avoid attracting attention for now - want to keep this event low profile for obvious reasons. Let's talk when you come back!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by stevebez
Here here re the flaming ... each to his own ... however !!!

If there is in fact a 7 second gap bewteen the M5 and E55 I would be very surprised because 0-1000m E55 is 22.9, CLK DTM is 20.8. (diff 2.1).

Krispy did you not mean 7 car lengths ... ??

I know I am substituting 1000m time for 150mph but its not a bad substitute I think.

So that puts M5 quicker than DTM over 1000m by around 5 seconds .... uhm I dont think so.

I do agree though (and it has also been proved here at the start of the thread) the M5 is quicker in the 100+ territory stock for stock - cannot argue with the physics of gearing. So can we all agree to accept this !?
KK stated he thought he read that but wasn't sure. I don't think 7 seconds is accurate.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 PM

M5
KK stated he thought he read that but wasn't sure. I don't think 7 seconds is accurate.
I'm pretty sure it's 4. 7 is vs the avg of the entire group or something like that.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by MRichmond
My main point here is that discussions of differences of opinions do not need to degenerate into vitriolic insults. As you recognize, that virtually never happens on the M5 board. The mere presence on this board of enthusiasts who enjoy or even prefer other makes should not be offensive.

I agree with you to a certain extent. People should avoid ad hominem attacks. Sometimes, however, people do things that are so wrong that you need to respond in kind. Take that ja@@-off from a few weeks ago with the fake M5 timeslips and the unbelievable explanations. No courtesies are required there.

As for the M5board, there are generally no differences of opinion. Everyone seems to agree with everything. When there are disagreements, the M5Board moderators often step in and close, move, or "merge" threads - especially those that show the M5 as less than all-conquering. Differences of opinion are carefully moderated. So on this board, there is perhaps too much freedom to post. On M5board, there is perhaps too little. Let the mods go on vacation for 2 weeks, and I suspect M5Board may look more like this one.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:26 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
To Enzom and MRichmond

What a wonderful thing diversity is - it keeps the entire world moving forward, and encourages the supply of alternatives and options.

What an incredible time to own an UBER-SEDAN - this is like the 70's BUT BETTER - MUCH BETTER.

Some of our viewers will be loyal to the brand, no matter what - MB, AUDI, BMW, PORSCHE etc.. Some will migrate across brands to sample and taste what the other brand has to offer. Its all good.

And we even have diverging forums. And thats a good thing!

I personally love MBWORLD for the fact that it allows people to post contradictory opinions, even radically divergent opinions, and then allows that poster's comments to be examined, ripped apart, agreed with, disagreed with, and sometimes even flamed.

I find the total agreement on the M5Board to be less to my liking. I beleive the moderators step in too often and too early.

Diversity of opinion nad choice encourages the emergence of all of our options, and imho should be encouraged.

And this is PURELY MY OPNION, and obviously it differs from some and agrees with others

MBWORLD MODS - I love what you are doing and I want to pat you on the back for the phenomenal enjoyment and entertainment this forum provides me (and others) on a daily basis

I love your lack of intrusion, but I did entirely agree with the removal of CRAZY_MERC_FAN in VelotE55's thread - and i am glad that his posts remain there for all to see.

Many thanks to you

Happy Holidays

Siswati
Old 12-23-2005, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!! It's called freedom and I'd rather have too much than not enough. It may not be as tidy, but it's real.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by enzom

As for the M5board, there are generally no differences of opinion. Everyone seems to agree with everything. When there are disagreements, the M5Board moderators often step in and close, move, or "merge" threads - especially those that show the M5 as less than all-conquering. Differences of opinion are carefully moderated. So on this board, there is perhaps too much freedom to post. On M5board, there is perhaps too little. Let the mods go on vacation for 2 weeks, and I suspect M5Board may look more like this one.
enzom,
I really believe you can state any opinion you want on the M5board as long as it is not insulting or containing foul language. There was a post by someone who said something to the effect that the M5 is butt ugly anf Chris Bangle should get fired and way to go BMW for fuc**ng up a great car. It generated many responses and it is still on the board.
I, for one, have been a VOCAL opponent of the E60 M5 and am not subtle about it. I hav never had any of my posts censored. JMHO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ran with my wife last night