Overheated brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
pas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Overheated brakes

Does anyone know what the sensor is actually measuring (fluid, caliper, rotor temp??) and where that results in this warning? I've only gotten it on the racetrack.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 PM
pas

Come on guys someone here must know the answer...
Old 01-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Temperature, I thought. I haven't seen the problem on the AMG cars. Guess all that weight can build up some heat!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:21 AM

2012 C63 Coupe Iridium Silver
brake pad sensor i think.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:31 PM

brake pad i think
Old 01-10-2006, 05:56 PM
pas

I appreciate the responses guys but is there anyone on the board who knows for sure.

My guess is brake fluid temp at the caliper.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
You are correct-brake fluid temp. After receiving the warning, I was curious so we investigated this at Renntech when they changed the fluid, lines and pads to racing components.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by jangy
Temperature, I thought. I haven't seen the problem on the AMG cars. Guess all that weight can build up some heat!
You haven't driven it fast enough...
Old 01-11-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
During the AMG challenges, pretty much every single E55 and CLS55 ran the entire day with the Brake Overheating warning lights displayed on the dash.

They insisted we run teh track with ESP on, so the continual ESP corrections and intrusions that happen when you start to slide has a major influence on retaining heat during the traditional non braking segments of the course, as brakes are actually applied when you are accelerating / sliding / drifting etc. And then not to mention the violent braking at the end of each straight trying to slow down 4300lbs of fast moving machinery to make the turn.

Most, if not all calipers were turning various shades of gold, several of the front rotors were showing small hairline cracks at the cross drilled holes, and when running hot laps at the end of the day, you could feel that on some cars the brake rotors were pretty much done - excessive vibrations from warping and glazing.

I know Eagleye (on this board) experienced a complete failure and ended up in the kity litter, but I cerainly didint hear of any one else. I did both days at Homestead and one day at Road America.

The instructors and the AMG boys were totally unfazed about the warning lights, the calipers or the rotors, although Jeff Andretti concurred on one of our last runs that the brakes were toast!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 AM
pas

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
You are correct-brake fluid temp. After receiving the warning, I was curious so we investigated this at Renntech when they changed the fluid, lines and pads to racing components.
do you know exactly where it is measured?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:12 AM
pas

Originally Posted by siswati
During the AMG challenges, pretty much every single E55 and CLS55 ran the entire day with the Brake Overheating warning lights displayed on the dash.

They insisted we run teh track with ESP on, so the continual ESP corrections and intrusions that happen when you start to slide has a major influence on retaining heat during the traditional non braking segments of the course, as brakes are actually applied when you are accelerating / sliding / drifting etc. And then not to mention the violent braking at the end of each straight trying to slow down 4300lbs of fast moving machinery to make the turn.

Most, if not all calipers were turning various shades of gold, several of the front rotors were showing small hairline cracks at the cross drilled holes, and when running hot laps at the end of the day, you could feel that on some cars the brake rotors were pretty much done - excessive vibrations from warping and glazing.

I know Eagleye (on this board) experienced a complete failure and ended up in the kity litter, but I cerainly didint hear of any one else. I did both days at Homestead and one day at Road America.

The instructors and the AMG boys were totally unfazed about the warning lights, the calipers or the rotors, although Jeff Andretti concurred on one of our last runs that the brakes were toast!

I also left me ESP on when I did the track day, I wasn't concerned about being a little slower, I wanted the car to look the same at the end of the day!

My rotors already had surface cracks when I went to the track, the track made it worse, they were pretty colorful, but they still stopped great and were not warped or anything.

Good to know you can still keep going with the warning on, I ended up cutting a couple of runs short because I wasn't sure. I mentioned to the instructor I was riding with that more than likely most cars there would be experiencing the same problem but ours is the only one that lets us know.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55, 12 CLS63
It measures the brake fluid temp, as previously posted. I did a track event on my E55 back in December in Spring Mountain's longest track configuration. The car preformed great passing a few cars every session. The brake held up well in every 30 minutes session, excet when I took 3 extra passengers with me. Because of the extra 600 lbs or more passenger weight, I had to brake longer than if I was alone in the car. On my last lap, I over heated the fluid and got the "Brake Overheated" warning. The brake pressure did not feel any different. After about an hour, the brake fluid cooled down and the warning disappeared. It was just as I started.

Anyway, you guys should take your car to the track sometime. Its a lot more rewarding than just going a 1/4 mile at a time.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:12 PM

E55
Amazing that AMG knows all this and doesn't upgrade the brakes!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by corgiman
Amazing that AMG knows all this and doesn't upgrade the brakes!
Especially considering how they market the car. Even more amazing is taking your car in for service at 15K with cracked rotors and being told I drive too fast. Oh yeah, never once tracked the car and never once had any warning lights come on.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
What type of brake fluid is M-B using? Perhaps we could use one with a higher boiling point?