W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mercedes Boss wants dual clutch autos....What that???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
New Mercedes Boss wants dual clutch autos....What that???

I posted a boatload of his comments from a recent interview and I must say I am more excited than ever about AMG. I would say (without him saying it 100%) the 6.3 Turbo is a GO. I think rumors of them ditching the 6.3 being phased out is totally wrong. They look to use the 6.3 as the platform for future forced induction with turbos for years to come.

Anyway anyway, he wants (meaning it's coming) dual clutch trannys to make the cars more sporty. What the heck is dual clutch tranny. Is that come German way to say manuals are coming??

I know I get hammered for asking too many questions.....but come onnnnnn, this is a legit question. Not that ***** that usually posted, "DUhhhhh how fast you go in car...duhhh"

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
i think its something similar to the smg's ...it has the other gear preselected ? so faster shifting etc ?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Finally got around to checking on it. Guess it's a VW thing.

Dual clutch transmissions have been pioneered by Volkswagen who have demonstrated the benefits of this system. The dual clutch concept uses two input clutches, one of which drives 1st, 3rd and 5th gears and the other 2nd, 4th and 6th gears. The gear is pre-selected using hydraulic actuators to engage conventional synchronisers. The system offers the efficiency of a manual transmission but with all the convenience and driveability of an automatic.

However, the Volkswagen design is relatively large which limits its application to vehicles where there is space (e.g V6 engined vehicles) and is a unique design with few common components to the equivalent manual transmission. The Antonov dual clutch automatic transmission overcomes both of these issues by offering a very short package using a novel gear arrangement and by enabling all rotating components to be common between automatic and single dry clutch manual variant with the exception of the clutch and input shaft assembly.

This offers the investment benefit that much of the product development cost, tooling and assembly point investment is shared between the units making an attractive business case for the units.

The concept can be applied both to the front wheel drive transverse applications where it can be configured for minimum length and also as a seven speed in line transmission where it can offer the possibility of meeting the full ratio range requirements of a light truck within the main transmission, avoiding the need for a 2 speed transfer transmission and further improving the driveline efficiency.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
That Dual Clutch thing is like the DSG that they use in A3s
Old 01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
This is good news! The DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) is a gearbox that uses two clutches so it can pre-engage the next gear to be used. So while you are in first, second gear is already pre-engaged and when the time comes for the upshift, it simply disengages the clutch in use and engages the other one. It makes for almost instantaneous shifts. Great technology!

The Veyron utilizes a DSG.

Last edited by VelocitE55; 01-09-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
That sounds like really good technology, both on the roads and on the track.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
SMG ll shifts in 80 msec, a DSG can shift in 8 msec:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ear_manual.htm

Its about time M-B gets on the bandwagon....!!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by VelocitE55
This is good news! The DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) is a gearbox that uses two clutches so it can pre-engage the next gear to be used. So while you are in first, second gear is already pre-engaged and when the time comes for the upshift, it simply disengages the clutch in use and engages the other one. It makes for almost instantaneous shifts. Great technology!

The Veyron utilizes a DSG.
Along with a few others. Perhaps this is the future - and the future is now? I still think that MBZ is still in the development stage on this though. I don't expect to see this on an MBZ for at least another year - maybe two or three....
Old 01-09-2006, 06:11 PM

02 ML320, 06 E350
Originally Posted by CA_E55
SMG ll shifts in 80 msec, a DSG can shift in 8 msec:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ear_manual.htm

Its about time M-B gets on the bandwagon....!!

Have the fixed the DSG problems with downshifting? i read that sometimes it takes DSG over 300MS to downshift say if your going from 6th gear to 4th gear because 6th and 4th are on the same thing so it has to change it to 5th first then shift to 4th.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I can't wait!~!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Along with a few others. Perhaps this is the future - and the future is now? I still think that MBZ is still in the development stage on this though. I don't expect to see this on an MBZ for at least another year - maybe two or three....

I agree we will have to wait a while before seeing DSG technology in MB products. It really depends on the new boss and how adamant he is about getting MB DSG technology to the market. The 7GTronic has only just recently made it into the high performance models (SLK55, C55) with the 63 series cars getting it when they come out so unless they are going to have multiple options for gearboxes or are going to just shelve the 7G, we will be waiting.