W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one had any problems related to mods??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
Any one had any problems related to mods??

I was wondering if any of you guys that have modded your cars have had any problems caused by the mods. I know there is always a give take factor for alot of these things so I am just wondering if there have been any things that popped up after the mods that you were not expecting?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:02 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
OK, the truth is, when you mod cars, unless it's very light modding (which apparently most of euro modding seems to be in light stages), things will fail and things will come up....all sorts of things in fact. I have an evo that's modded from bottom up and built by one of the best shops in the country for mitsubishis.....road race engineering. Still things will come up, random little quirks etc that you have to know to take care of yourself. Of course, I never took my car back to the dealer once and fixed everything myself with the shop. On the other hand, on a car like the e55, I'm personally scared to touch too much because everything is covered up and totally foreign for the most part compared to a japanese import. But from what I've been seeing from the guys modding on here, they are mostly in controlled stages from kleemann, renntech, evosport, and some other shops but those seem to be predominant. I'm thinking of doing some light mods myself and am thinking the dealer would probably have a hardtime detecting an ecu flash + pullies. But I have to talk to these tuners first to see if it's really hard to detect + see first before I make my decision. The main reason is because this warranty mercedes gives I actually want to keep. Bottom line, you gotta pay to play and don't get yourself into a situation where you regret modding because u expect mercedes to cover your fun.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I think if you do a search throughout the forums you will see, especially with the Kleemann upgrades, that a properly engineered kit is pretty bulletproof. I think it's safe to say that almost everyone on here that has done a Kleemann upgrade, if installed properly, has not had any problems directly related to the upgrades. With all the electronics on these cars there are a lot of other issues that can come up randomly. Therefore, occasionally an upgrade will get blamed for something that just happend to fail on the car after that upgrade was performed.

Case in point we had a customer with a CL55 that was having some intermitent power loss problems with the car shortly after we delivered it back to him from a Kleemann K1 kit. Turns out the car's Intercooler water pump had failed (fairly common on the E55's, etc. - do a search) and because it happened to fail a few days after the mod, naturally the owner questioned the Kleemann mods - anyone would. Luckily between my tech's and Cory & Brandon, we figured it out before it even went to the dealer.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by tama_mog
OK, the truth is, when you mod cars, unless it's very light modding (which apparently most of euro modding seems to be in light stages), things will fail and things will come up....all sorts of things in fact. I have an evo that's modded from bottom up and built by one of the best shops in the country for mitsubishis.....road race engineering. Still things will come up, random little quirks etc that you have to know to take care of yourself. Of course, I never took my car back to the dealer once and fixed everything myself with the shop. On the other hand, on a car like the e55, I'm personally scared to touch too much because everything is covered up and totally foreign for the most part compared to a japanese import. But from what I've been seeing from the guys modding on here, they are mostly in controlled stages from kleemann, renntech, evosport, and some other shops but those seem to be predominant. I'm thinking of doing some light mods myself and am thinking the dealer would probably have a hardtime detecting an ecu flash + pullies. But I have to talk to these tuners first to see if it's really hard to detect + see first before I make my decision. The main reason is because this warranty mercedes gives I actually want to keep. Bottom line, you gotta pay to play and don't get yourself into a situation where you regret modding because u expect mercedes to cover your fun.

Maybe I misunderstood your point, but I have always been under the impression that German cars have A LOT more potential than do Japanese cars. Having said that, mods would tend to push the weak link envelope MORE with the Japanese cars, so I wouldn't say that it is all relative.
I have NOT done extreme mods on my E. But even the Supercharged E seems to hold up pretty well to the massive pressures that we place on them (from what the guys on this board have shown).
Old 01-12-2006, 10:09 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
If you truly think that about japanese imports, then do some research and understand how strong some of those motors can be. You can start off by looking @ a cast iron 4g63 used in the mitsubishi cars. Then if you have time and want to look @ more examples, take a look @ Nissan's RB26DETT. These cars are not weak and you're not pushing the envelope on them @ all even without building them. I mean you want to talk about extreme boost? I run 1.5-1.7 bars regularly on my evo on 91 octane pending on what tune I'm running and over 2.2 bars on 110 octane....so I don't think these superchargers exactly are that extreme. Of course it is all relative since these motors are just huge.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
What I am really interested in, is how low the price will go on these things.

Just read on another post of a guy whose dad paid 80K for a Benz that we now kinda snicker at.

Could we really be looking at a 2003 E55 10 years from now in the 20 range. HO LEE CRAP is all I have to say when that happens. I'm gonna buy one and slap on a dish plate size pulley system and run a 350 shot.....let's have ourselves a party and see what this pup will do. She blows she blows.....not like you are covering a 70-90K car AND 44K motor. Just buy a wrecked car or another 55 with high mileage and your back in business. Ohhh, this is gonna be good.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
[Family guy joke]Modding killed my mother and raped my father.[/Family guy joke]
Old 01-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by tama_mog
If you truly think that about japanese imports, then do some research and understand how strong some of those motors can be. You can start off by looking @ a cast iron 4g63 used in the mitsubishi cars. Then if you have time and want to look @ more examples, take a look @ Nissan's RB26DETT. These cars are not weak and you're not pushing the envelope on them @ all even without building them. I mean you want to talk about extreme boost? I run 1.5-1.7 bars regularly on my evo on 91 octane pending on what tune I'm running and over 2.2 bars on 110 octane....so I don't think these superchargers exactly are that extreme. Of course it is all relative since these motors are just huge.
It was / is just my opinion. I am no expert and I do not disagree with you in any way. I guess I've been stereotyping??
At any rate, all the power to ya. I prefer not to do the research, since I don't even know enough about my own stuff.