RennTech vs. Kleemann

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:36 AM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
RennTech vs. Kleemann

OK, straight out. Why one vs. the other?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Ah, the question of the month. I have checked into this and, for me it is probably going to be RENNtech. Things to consider for me were - location of installer, price and content of mods. Location - Kleemann in Colorado Springs is closer than RENNtech in Florida. (However, there are RENNtech dealers closer if I need additional work after the initial install. I do want to go to the main headquarters for the first visit and install). Price - about the same. Content of the mod - this is why I am going to go with RENNtech. They do not weld the exhaust system and they keep all emission equipment, e.g. O2 sensors. That might not be a big deal, but I think it would make it easier to put the car back in stock configuration if necessary. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by can drive 55
Ah, the question of the month. I have checked into this and, for me it is probably going to be RENNtech. Things to consider for me were - location of installer, price and content of mods. Location - Kleemann in Colorado Springs is closer than RENNtech in Florida. (However, there are RENNtech dealers closer if I need additional work after the initial install. I do want to go to the main headquarters for the first visit and install). Price - about the same. Content of the mod - this is why I am going to go with RENNtech. They do not weld the exhaust system and they keep all emission equipment, e.g. O2 sensors. That might not be a big deal, but I think it would make it easier to put the car back in stock configuration if necessary. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Thanks for the post. I am going through the same thought process. Kleemann or Renntech? Thinking of getting ECU, Pulley and maybe headers. Knowing that they don't have to be welded and you can keep your O2 sensors certainly makes me feel better. Does the Renntech ECU and pulley give you more horsepower and torque than the Kleemann ECU and pulley?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
I would think that they are about the same. I believe they claim about 50 HP.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:18 PM

I too had the same question,but after speaking with both Renntech and Kleenmann,i decided to go with kleenmann,because they were so informative on how and what their products work and do.Also i saw wherein they took the time out to give advice to people who were having problems in a particular area.Plus it appears as if the majority of the people was pro-Kleemann.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:37 PM
ON PROBATION

You can't go wrong with Kleeman. Renntech appears to have their shiznit together and dialed-in also.... Who's closer? That is probably what it would come down to for me.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:30 PM
PCH

'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by ClayJ
You can't go wrong with Kleeman. Renntech appears to have their shiznit together and dialed-in also.... Who's closer? That is probably what it would come down to for me.
Yep, accessibility does come into play however, fit/finish and actual performance will make my decision. As I have not physically seen either product I can't comment on the quality issue. With regard to the pully/ECU only upgrade do both companies offer competitive performance specs?

Also one of the guys on the G55 site who also owns a E55 stated that after trying them all, (Dyno and drag racing) he got the best results with the Hennessey pulley, (larger then Kleemann and RennTech) requiring smaller water pump pulley, Kleemann headers and ECU, Kleemann performance crankshafts, Kleemann large throtle body.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah, you'll be happy with both.....just seems that Renn is a few bucks more and offers a few more hp.

Both companys are incredible and have heard zero complaints.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:12 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
no problems with choice over here because there ain't nobody doing renntech stuff so its kleemann all the way
Old 01-21-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
renntech +1

mark
Old 01-21-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
RennTech would be the choice if money and distance was not an issue.

Kleeman would be good, if you are nearby or have somebody close that is authorized to install Kleeman parts.

Here in Cali EvoSport is popular, but they don't have the same upscale quality yet at RennTech, Kleeman.

I think Brabus is a bit higher on the scale in quality. But this can be subjective.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is there a Renntech W211 that has broken into the 11's yet? I'm not sure there is a Renntech W211 out there in the top 5. I think Kleemann and nos have all of those spots.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Is there a Renntech W211 that has broken into the 11's yet? I'm not sure there is a Renntech W211 out there in the top 5. I think Kleemann and nos have all of those spots.
I think so.
Originally Posted by SGC
Recently had RENNtech modify my ECU and pulley on my E55 (everything else is stock). World of difference. With a bad launch (1.93 60') the car ran 11.80 @ 120.96. The e.t. doesn't tell the story since the 60' was horrible. The mph does.

The breakdown is as follows:

60' 1.930
330' 5.803
1/8 7.688
mph 94.04
1000' 9.930
1/4 11.803
mph 120.96

(Submitted timeslip to dragtimes.com. Should be up soon. Thanks Fiske)

The car will obviously run 11.60's with a 60' in the 1.7s (Next time). Driveability is same if not better than stock, but the car pulls like a freight train. Special thanks to Hartmut, Jeff and Bob @ RENNtech.

SGC
Old 01-22-2006, 03:59 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by DerekFSU

Derek,

I don't think there is a Kleeman car without headers running my mph (120.96).

In fact most of the Kleeman K1s run 117-118 mph. FYI, I have stock exhaust and air box.

Hartmut worked for AMG and Mercedes. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

SGC
Old 01-28-2006, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by SGC
Derek,

I don't think there is a Kleeman car without headers running my mph (120.96).

In fact most of the Kleeman K1s run 117-118 mph. FYI, I have stock exhaust and air box.

Hartmut worked for AMG and Mercedes. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

SGC
I am not an expert on either product, but from what I am reading, the Renntech chip and pulley give you more horsepower and torque than the Kleemann ( a little). The stage 2 (removal of the headers) for Kleemann is what really makes them outperform Renntech. Renntech headers leave the O2 sensor and cats in place, whereas the Kleemann removes them, thus giving you much more power. What about torque and horsepower curves. Judging by Renntech's website the peak is pushed out to 3500 rpms. Is Kleemann the same? What is your view Cory?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I've had both. First Renntech pulley and ECU and had no complaints. The best 1/4 was 12.02. Then went with Kleemann headers and had them redo my ECU but Cory told me to keep my Renntech pulley as it's very good and no need to spend extra $$ (which scored lots of points in my book).

I will say the car felt much better after adding the Kleemann headers than it did going from stock to Renntech pulley/ECU, if that makes sense. Latest dyno at the rear wheels was 485 HP and 550 TQ. Only went to the track once with this set up and the conditions were brutal. Cold and windy. Best 1/4 was around 12.04 If I remember correctly but trap speed was much higher at around 120 or so.

I do agree with those who talk about Kleemann's customer support. Cory is just great to deal with and will spend as much time on the phone or e-mail as he needs to. Not saying Renntech is bad, but I found Kleemann to be a little better in this regard.

Both great products and would not hesitate to go with either one.

Oh, one more thing. When my car was at RPM Racing for the headers Cory contacted them and told them to send my ECU which I did not know about. He re-programmed it with their software and did not charge me!

Last edited by cte430; 01-28-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by cte430
I've had both. First Renntech pulley and ECU and had no complaints. The best 1/4 was 12.02. Then went with Kleemann headers and had them redo my ECU but Cory told me to keep my Renntech pulley as it's very good and no need to spend extra $$ (which scored lots of points in my book).

I will say the car felt much better after adding the Kleemann headers than it did going from stock to Renntech pulley/ECU, if that makes sense. Latest dyno at the rear wheels was 485 HP and 550 TQ. Only went to the track once with this set up and the conditions were brutal. Cold and windy. Best 1/4 was around 12.04 If I remember correctly but trap speed was much higher at around 120 or so.

I do agree with those who talk about Kleemann's customer support. Cory is just great to deal with and will spend as much time on the phone or e-mail as he needs to. Not saying Renntech is bad, but I found Kleemann to be a little better in this regard.

Both great products and would not hesitate to go with either one.

Oh, one more thing. When my car was at RPM Racing for the headers Cory contacted them and told them to send my ECU which I did not know about. He re-programmed it with their software and did not charge me!
Very interesting. Your trap speed was much higher with the Kleemann chip and headers than it was with the Renntech ECU and pulley upgrade. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Kleemann header upgrade should make your car faster at the top end as the exhaust flows much better. Given the similiar 12.02 1/4 mile time, it sounds like the Renntech chip might be faster off the line (bottom end). Has any Renntech stage 1 ever raced a Kleemann stage 1. From the research that I am doing, I think the Renntech chip might be faster than the Kleemann K1 chip. (I have neither, but am looking to ut one in my car asap.)
Old 01-29-2006, 11:32 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
Very interesting. Your trap speed was much higher with the Kleemann chip and headers than it was with the Renntech ECU and pulley upgrade. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Kleemann header upgrade should make your car faster at the top end as the exhaust flows much better. Given the similiar 12.02 1/4 mile time, it sounds like the Renntech chip might be faster off the line (bottom end). Has any Renntech stage 1 ever raced a Kleemann stage 1. From the research that I am doing, I think the Renntech chip might be faster than the Kleemann K1 chip. (I have neither, but am looking to ut one in my car asap.)

If your going to play the mod game, pull the trigger and go with the basic tune package of headers/pulley/ecu Anything less and you will not be happy since you will always want more. I went from stock straight to K2 and boy I was amazed!!! I would venture to say that most of us who have modded have done more then just a ECU upgrade. Headers/Pully/ECU are all basic mods that transform your car into a super exotic killer

You will walk away from most any car on the road
Old 01-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Old 01-29-2006, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I would agree with you about the headers. Hard to say about off the line as the weather was just brutal.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Can anyone recommend a great Renntech or Kleeman installer around the NYC area? If you also would like to tell me who to AVOID, you can send me an e-mail.

I am looking into making the leap early next year. Can't pull the trigger this year unfortunately.

By the way, I asked my service rep at Prestige Mercedes in Paramus yesterday about their policy on these "basic mods". He said that everyone does it to their cars, the mods are "harmless", and the dealership kind of looks the other way. He did recommend to keep any stock pieces just in case the car needs to be put back to stock for any major work. He was very cool.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by enzom
Can anyone recommend a great Renntech or Kleeman installer around the NYC area? If you also would like to tell me who to AVOID, you can send me an e-mail.

I am looking into making the leap early next year. Can't pull the trigger this year unfortunately.

By the way, I asked my service rep at Prestige Mercedes in Paramus yesterday about their policy on these "basic mods". He said that everyone does it to their cars, the mods are "harmless", and the dealership kind of looks the other way. He did recommend to keep any stock pieces just in case the car needs to be put back to stock for any major work. He was very cool.
RPM Racing on L.I. did my install and would recommend them highly. It's funny how different dealers are regarding mods. Mine is a pain in the ***. I had them trying to tell me that the increased HP has attributed to my brake wear. I asked them to explain to me how if two cars were lined next to each other and mine got to "X" speed slightly faster, don't the two of us both have to stop?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
If your going to play the mod game, pull the trigger and go with the basic tune package of headers/pulley/ecu Anything less and you will not be happy since you will always want more. I went from stock straight to K2 and boy I was amazed!!! I would venture to say that most of us who have modded have done more then just a ECU upgrade. Headers/Pully/ECU are all basic mods that transform your car into a super exotic killer

My concern is voiding the warranty. I don't think most dealers can tell a non-factory pulley or ECU just by looking at it. However, headers are definitely a give away. If I did do headers, I think I wold do Renntech as they keep the cats and 02 sensor in place. Even the Renntech headers are probably noticeable though and I don't think the Renntech headers have the same performance as the Kleemann. Do they?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
My concern is voiding the warranty. ?
Sometimes you gotta say "What the Fuuck", make your move. Joel, every now and then, saying "What the Fuuck", brings freedom. Freedom brings opportunity, opportunity brings freedom.

In other words, Get K2!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:52 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
My concern is voiding the warranty. I don't think most dealers can tell a non-factory pulley or ECU just by looking at it. However, headers are definitely a give away. If I did do headers, I think I wold do Renntech as they keep the cats and 02 sensor in place. Even the Renntech headers are probably noticeable though and I don't think the Renntech headers have the same performance as the Kleemann. Do they?
Most of the guys I know have gone with the Kleemann headers. I would check with your dealer how they feel about basic bolt-on mods. Headers should not effect your warranty if your Service Manager has any clue. My Service Director at my dealership loved my headers and helped with the install of the LSD and IC mod. If anything, removal of your OEM headers (very restrictive and a joke) will lower the temps of your engine and make your car run better.

I would say in theory a car with primary cats removed should be producing slightly more power.

At the end of the day you need to do what MAKES U FEEL COMFORTABLE All I can say is that many of us have had these mods on our cars for almost 12 months with no issues! That should speak volumes

Last edited by 04E55 AMG; 01-29-2006 at 03:55 PM.