NAV not showing all street names

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes E63
NAV not showing all street names

Hi,

My NAV is not showing all the street names. The streets show up but have no names.

This is on a 2004 E55. The DVD shows 2005.3.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Oliver

Last edited by BlackBear; 01-26-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by BlackBear
Any ideas what the problem could be?
...erm...how is this a problem?

The clarion nav system in my C250D does show all kind of streetnames of streets I do not need to use - I myself see that as a problem as that useless info clutters my nav screen...I only want to know the streetnames of those streets I am going to drive through - but what do I know...

greetingz,
Old 01-26-2006, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Likely no problem, but don't expect a lot of street names to show up unless you're at the most granular level on the display. Even then, many don't show
Old 01-26-2006, 10:10 AM
dsc

2004 E55
I have a 2004 also. It doesn't show a lot of streets must lees the names. I have had problems with directions because the data base doesn't even have streets 20+ years old in it.

I thick Mercedes really did a bad job with this Nav. My Nissan Murrano had a much better system. I understand the updated DVD isn't that much better. I am think about a portable system.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by dsc
I have had problems with directions because the data base doesn't even have streets 20+ years old in it.
I find that hard to believe?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
dsc

2004 E55
It's true. It has happened 6 times now trying to program a destination and a lot of times (too many to count) the Nav has no idea where I'm at. It just shows me driving along. The system is working properly. It's fine for MAJOR roads but getting to small roads and very rural, it's not.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by dsc
I thick Mercedes really did a bad job with this Nav. My Nissan Murrano had a much better system. I understand the updated DVD isn't that much better. I am think about a portable system.
...the nav DVD is made by a different company - not mercedes...whatever data is or is not on the disc hasn't got much to do with mercedes...

greetingz,
Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 PM
pas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by dsc
I have a 2004 also. It doesn't show a lot of streets must lees the names. I have had problems with directions because the data base doesn't even have streets 20+ years old in it.

your crazy i have an 05 E55 and an 05 Nissan Armada, and the mercedes system is much easier to use and deal with, the nissan system is a pain in the ***. I have been in a couple of places with the MB system where it showed me driving off road on roads that were not brand new, so I understand that. As far as data entry, making changes underway storing addresses the MB system is much much better than the nissan. It takes three times as long to do anything on the nissan and you cannot completely turn of the display as you can with the mb.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
dsc

2004 E55
I agree that Nissan's lack of ability to program an address while in drive is a pain. But I'm not really talking so much about ease of use as much as providing info and direction. If a system can give me the info and get me to where I need then I prefer that to ease of use.

I have too often had to use a paper map with the Mercedes system. Never did with Nissan.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by dsc
I agree that Nissan's lack of ability to program an address while in drive is a pain. But I'm not really talking so much about ease of use as much as providing info and direction. If a system can give me the info and get me to where I need then I prefer that to ease of use.

I have too often had to use a paper map with the Mercedes system. Never did with Nissan.
Thats strange I seem to get better directions from the mb than the nissan. The mb is much easier to program period that joystick is practically useless. Maybe its the areas where we live that makes a difference.

I remember a situation where I ended up turning off the nissan nav since it was being stupid. I was coming south on 95 navigating to my house in Miami Beach, when I go to jupiter I got on the turnpike to go the rest of the way down, less traffic ect, the nissan tried to get me off every exit we came to and back to 95 and I had it set for shortest time. Driving the same route in the MB it figured out I wanted to be on the turnpike and changed its route to accomodate me.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
dsc

2004 E55
You may be right on our locations. Well, I'm glad it works well for you. I really didn't think there would be such a big difference in the various Nav systems on the market.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:02 AM

E55
Originally Posted by dsc
You may be right on our locations. Well, I'm glad it works well for you. I really didn't think there would be such a big difference in the various Nav systems on the market.
Especially since in most cases the databases are from the same company -- Navtech.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 S500

I called the stealer about this as well, and they said that the streets won`t show unless it`s a highway, or the streets you`re gonna drive on, and even this, only once you`re on that street. I think it sucks, cause i wanted to familiarize myself more with the neighborhoods, and the nav is no help.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:31 PM

I wonder if a different maker of the Data for the Nav would work? For instance the Clarion or Alpine Data. I am kinda sure though it wont work. But Data is Data.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by pas
Thats strange I seem to get better directions from the mb than the nissan. The mb is much easier to program period that joystick is practically useless. Maybe its the areas where we live that makes a difference.

I remember a situation where I ended up turning off the nissan nav since it was being stupid. I was coming south on 95 navigating to my house in Miami Beach, when I go to jupiter I got on the turnpike to go the rest of the way down, less traffic ect, the nissan tried to get me off every exit we came to and back to 95 and I had it set for shortest time. Driving the same route in the MB it figured out I wanted to be on the turnpike and changed its route to accomodate me.
It seems like they all screw up at times.I have a Lincoln navigator,and last summer i was going south on I-95 heading for florida,and the Navigation system keep pointing me to the turnpike.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 PM

E55
Originally Posted by AradBenz
I called the stealer about this as well, and they said that the streets won`t show unless it`s a highway, or the streets you`re gonna drive on, and even this, only once you`re on that street. I think it sucks, cause i wanted to familiarize myself more with the neighborhoods, and the nav is no help.
I am confused. I have an 04, and I get street names occasionally if the map scale is detailed enough.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:57 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Mad TKD
I wonder if a different maker of the Data for the Nav would work? For instance the Clarion or Alpine Data. I am kinda sure though it wont work. But Data is Data.
I think they all get their data from the same source.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:15 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
I've talked to from everybody from my dealership to NAVTECH on this subject because my Nav does the same thing. While it's true that the Nav system is not as good as many others out there, it's the data DVD that does or does not list all the streets and roads in an area.

If you live in a larger metropolitan area, coverage is complete. But if you live in a small town or rural area, forget it. It may only show the major throughofares. The answer I keep getting is that coverage will be better on future DVD's, but I've heard that for almost two years now with no improvement in sight. The weird thing is that I sat in a new S550 the other day and it's coverage was complete even in rural areas.

Why can't they get it right!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:22 PM

1996 - C220/2001 - ML430/ 2005 RX-330
Originally Posted by Pbglas
I think they all get their data from the same source.
They do get their data from the same source, but what the front end processor does with it is still the manufacturer's discretion. When I zoom in once from the default on my ML, I see most, but not all of the street names on my 2004.1 disk in my 2001 MCS system. Now on my Lexus, which has the Toyota/Lexus system in it, the maps are the same but there are more colors, terrain details, and smaller fonts so that every single street and driveway shown is named all on the screen at once at the same comparable scale. Of course the Lexus has a wide-screen display of about 7" whereas the MCS is more of a square of about 5". My street shows up displayed about 1/2 block off on both vehicles where it appears that I am driving in a field to my house, by the same amount of incorrectness on both systems Both map disks say data provided by Navteq on them, but the MB shows just the plain blue and white grid with only my street named unless I am zoomed in, whereas the Lexus shows all sorts of colors and things in a smaller font so it has more room.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:41 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
The weird thing is that I sat in a new S550 the other day and it's coverage was complete even in rural areas.
Maybe it has the updated DVD. I was told a new one was suppose to have come out in December of 05. It's about $250.00. If it actually provided more complete info I would buy it. I'm not even talking about names showing up on streets or not, I'm talking about streets not being in the data base period so I can't even program in a destination. And these are old streets!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:29 PM

Does anyone live in NYC? Does the nav work well in Manhattan?