Renntech ECU, Pulley, & Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Renntech ECU, Pulley, & Headers

Does anyone on the board have Renntech ECU, Pulley and Headers? Renntech headers can be bolted on and you don't lose your cats. Thinking of going with Renntech over Kleemann for this reason. There are a lot of people on this board with Kleemann and very few with Renntech it seems. I am not underestimating the performance that K2 kits will give you, just wondering why everyone uses Kleemann instead of Renntech when the founder of Renntech uses to work for AMG. Based on conversations that I have had with Renntech, it seems that they still have strong ties with AMG. For a few thousand dollars less, why do most people go with Kleemann?
Old 01-29-2006, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
Does anyone on the board have Renntech ECU, Pulley and Headers? Renntech headers can be bolted on and you don't lose your cats. Thinking of going with Renntech over Kleemann for this reason. There are a lot of people on this board with Kleemann and very few with Renntech it seems. I am not underestimating the performance that K2 kits will give you, just wondering why everyone uses Kleemann instead of Renntech when the founder of Renntech uses to work for AMG. Based on conversations that I have had with Renntech, it seems that they still have strong ties with AMG. For a few thousand dollars less, why do most people go with Kleemann?
...........When you modify your car, the availability, reachability and responsiveness of the tuner is key. The Kleemaann guys are far and above better than other tuners in this category. I cannot overempasize how important this is. As far as Renntech and Kleemann pulleys are concerned, the diameter for both of them is the same and neither is likely better than the other. As far as headers are concerned, you can delete or not deletye your CATs even if you use Kleemann. An exhaust shop can do this. As far as ECU, this where I believe your interaction with the mechanic and tuner is very important. Your car needs to be dynoed before and after with A/F ratios and ECU tuned and re-tuned until you achieve the maximum performance for your car. There are shops that don't do dyno or ECU tuning or do Ecu but no dyno which in my opinion is simply stupid. You want to avoid those shops whether or not they were started by grandfather of AMG or by jesus christ himself. There is a bit too much hero worshipping and less emphasis on performance and service. So go with Kleemann or Renntech in a shop that you can talk to the mechanic as many times as you wish and your car will be dynoed before and after and tuned and re-tuned as many times as it takes to get it perfect.

Ted
Old 01-29-2006, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........When you modify your car, the availability, reachability and responsiveness of the tuner is key. The Kleemaann guys are far and above better than other tuners in this category. I cannot overempasize how important this is. As far as Renntech and Kleemann pulleys are concerned, the diameter for both of them is the same and neither is likely better than the other. As far as headers are concerned, you can delete or not deletye your CATs even if you use Kleemann. An exhaust shop can do this. As far as ECU, this where I believe your interaction with the mechanic and tuner is very important. Your car needs to be dynoed before and after with A/F ratios and ECU tuned and re-tuned until you achieve the maximum performance for your car. There are shops that don't do dyno or ECU tuning or do Ecu but no dyno which in my opinion is simply stupid. You want to avoid those shops whether or not they were started by grandfather of AMG or by jesus christ himself. There is a bit too much hero worshipping and less emphasis on performance and service. So go with Kleemann or Renntech in a shop that you can talk to the mechanic as many times as you wish and your car will be dynoed before and after and tuned and re-tuned as many times as it takes to get it perfect.

Ted
Thank you very much! Very insightful and makes a lot of sense. Whether I go with Kleemann or Renntech, it sounds like I need to have my car shipped directly to the tuner. Most aftermarket tuners I believe mail the ECU to either Colardo (in the case of Kleemann) or Florida (in the case of Renntech) and have them flashed. How could these tuners possibly know if they are getting the maximum potential out of the car if they don't dyno it and reflash it until it gets peak performance. I think that is they key? What's your opinion.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin

Ted
Could not have of said it better
Old 01-29-2006, 07:19 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
MBSteve: not only does it depend on where you live but the availability of the 'answer guys'. I am a professional person who is very meticulous @ my life. I called Brandon almost daily when my car was being staged for a K2 mod with LSD. The actual work was done by my local shop in southern Michigan,ie. Motorwerks in Commerce Township. IMHO as the enduser everyone was just superb! If you live in proximity to a Renntech facility then consider them as that is where you'll go for issues if any. I have done the diligence, believe me, and so far I am glad I went with Kleemann-Joker
Old 01-29-2006, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
just wondering why everyone uses Kleemann instead of Renntech when the founder of Renntech uses to work for AMG.
Mostly it was a pricing issue, but just checked the prices and they must have dropped....

K2 with Klee= bout 10K
K2 equivalent with Renn = when I checked a year or so ago, it was something like 12-15K....now it's 10K.

They must have gotten a clue when Klee sold about 3-4 kits to their 1.

For me it was all price, then I met Cory and Brandon, now I would never use another. They are just the stuff. I consider them more friends than vendors.

I hear nothing but great stuff about Renn too, so I guess it really is about proximity now.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Mostly it was a pricing issue, but just checked the prices and they must have dropped....

K2 with Klee= bout 10K
K2 equivalent with Renn = when I checked a year or so ago, it was something like 12-15K....now it's 10K.

They must have gotten a clue when Klee sold about 3-4 kits to their 1.

For me it was all price, then I met Cory and Brandon, now I would never use another. They are just the stuff. I consider them more friends than vendors.

I hear nothing but great stuff about Renn too, so I guess it really is about proximity now.
Considering that I am just getting an ECU and pulley for now, I think I am putting too much thought into this process... Kleemann or Renntech, time to flip a coin.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:30 PM

2003 porsche 996tt Ruf, 2005 SL55 Renntech
I have the ecu pulley, header on my sl55 great pkg..572hp for that car, had just the ecu-pulley on my e55 , great proformance, renntech is just down the street form me so it was an easy pick. call george at renntechhttp://www.renntechmercedes.com/ tell him steve sent ya