*** Warranty and Mods ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
*** Warranty and Mods ***

Originally Posted by G55K
In most cases you are correct. However, if the failure is major, such as a blown engine, you'll be dealing with a regional Mercedes rep and it won't be the dealers call.

I modify everything that I own so I say go for it! However, be aware that there are risks. Renntech is a very reputable company and the odds are that you won't have any issues. Good luck and have fun!
I decided to reply to G55s correct assertion as a new thread to revisit and hopefully clear up the air on mods and your MB warranty.

His statement is entirely TRUE. You can smooze with any MB service advisor all you like. You can buy him flowers. It will not matter if anything large happens. On AMG models, large failures = inspection by AMG / MB rep ... which has nothing to do with the dealer. They travel around the US on all major warranty calls, especially on AMG models. Why? Apparently they want to know and document each failure so they can understand it and reproduce it... or dismiss it.

Renntech, Kleemann, your step brother... won't matter in the end... if they want to void the warranty because of mods, they will, and the dealer will stand there scratching their heads. Just because they install something doesn't mean they must warranty it. Your warranty is between you and MB, not your MB dealer. Which is why a dealer can promise to put things back to stock to DECEIVE MB in the warranty arena... which is all it is... lying about the state of the car in order to obtain warranty service... pretty much what we'd all do. But I wouldn't count on that kind of promise, espeically since service advisors come and go. I much prefer things in writing.

Lastly, there's a dealership around me that apparently just got nailed for honoring warranty items that shouldn't have been... excessive ones. MB just fined them a monster chunk of change (upwards of a million), and they've now stiffened up on warranty work.

So, I modified my car the Kleemann K2 way AND I got an extended "modified" warranty for 7 yrs / 100k. It cost $6k, but hell, its not like these cars are cheap. Plus its transferrable. I'll get a lot more milage out of my sale when I can say 580hp Kleeman K2 with factory MB warranty to 7/100k AND a modified component warranty (which covers everything MB decides not to because of the mods) also to 7yrs / 100k miles. You can also get a 4yr / 50k "modified" warranty as well for some $4k or thereabouts.... you don't have to go 7/100k like me... I'm strange.

But I do get to sleep at night now. All of you Kleemann people know about this company, because Kleemann recommends them and probably threw in the brochure with your other paper work when you got your car back...

http://www.exoticwarranty.com/automobiles.html

Leigh Evans
The Exotic Warranty Company
3809 Manatee Ave E.
Bradenton, FL 34208
941-748-9666 x105

I worked with Leigh Evans. Tell her I sent you and remind her that she said she'd give MBWorld board members 5% off. I asked about underwriting... basically by the same company. They've only been around for 3 years, which doesn't stand the test of time... yet. It's a great idea though, and at least someone is doing it... and one they'll probably make a lot of money off of given how reliable Kleemann and Renntech and other tuners have become (they review your mods and by whom before they offer you warranty coverage... you must submit an invoice listing the mods).

I CANNOT VOUCH for them, as I have no warranty claims...yet. The day I do is the day MB says no, and I'll be posting here immediately. And over the years I've had new car dealers sell me extended warranties from companies that then skipped town, so who knows. But I get a good feeling about them. Maybe some of you Florida gents might stop by and check out their outfit for the board if you're ever in the neighborhood.

This isn't for everyone, to be sure. Some people will worry about how legit the company is, other's will balk at the price. For me, though, its a last resort sort of option in case I ever get hassled. Afterall, I think I will be pioneering the K2 reliability test, as I am loading up miles faster than I ever would have thought (12k in 6 months)... so if someone is going to run into high milage modified failures, its me. I know I'm going to be the one with something blown up... and finding out how both dealer and AMG rep react, and whether stock and extended warranties help, especially 3rd party ones.... well... that will be my contribution to this board someday. For now, I'm just lining my ducks up to cover all my bases. Should get interesting someday...

Loren
Old 01-31-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63
Where on their website does it mention a modified component warranty? I hope you didn't sign the application/contract on their website thinking it would cover problems that might result from aftermarket modifications which MBZ wouldn't cover. Just from a quick read through:

Under the "Excluded Items for Coverage A, B, C, D & E" (which are all the coverage levels they offer), one of the excluded items is "parts that failed due to a modification to the vehicle," and another is "non-factory installed components."

Under "Additional Conditions of Coverage" it says that no "alterations" are covered.

Obviously what you want covered is, say, an engine failure that occurs after an aftermarket pulley or other part is installed, but these provisions clearly say such a claim is not covered.

Maybe you signed something else??
Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM

2004 E55
interesting... Range reads well, you must be an attorney... good find Ronnie~
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!

Thanks for the info Loren. I'm getting some info on this and see if it's something i might be interested in. Also see if you can make it to our Pasadena Rosebowl meet on March 4th. See the Event & Gathering section of this forum.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:00 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by R. Range
Where on their website does it mention a modified component warranty? I hope you didn't sign the application/contract on their website thinking it would cover problems that might result from aftermarket modifications which MBZ wouldn't cover. Just from a quick read through:

Under the "Excluded Items for Coverage A, B, C, D & E" (which are all the coverage levels they offer), one of the excluded items is "parts that failed due to a modification to the vehicle," and another is "non-factory installed components."

Under "Additional Conditions of Coverage" it says that no "alterations" are covered.

Obviously what you want covered is, say, an engine failure that occurs after an aftermarket pulley or other part is installed, but these provisions clearly say such a claim is not covered.

Maybe you signed something else??

yes, I did sign something different... and the "modified" coverage / contract is not listed on the site... you must ask for it. Specifically it states:

"Covered Components
Modified Coverage covers the reasonable cost to remedy any operating mechanical or electrical failure of the vehicle, for the time indicated on the contract application, except as specified as excluded, subject to the provisions of this contract.

Excluded Items: Rust damage, sheet metal, chassis frame, cross member, body rains, body panels, weather stripping, lights, tires, convertible or vinyl top components, molding, upholstery, paint, exhaust system, catalytic converter, hinges, keyless entry, brake drums, part seals, shock absorbers, batteries, carburetor, air and water leaks, wind noise, odors, squeaks and noises, contaminated fuel systems, bumpers, fluids, mounts, glass, time failed components, belts, hoses, a/c recharging, wear and tear items, clutches, video/navigation systems; and service/maintenance items."

That's why I was quoting "modified" in my original post, because that is what the contract is called and how they refer to it... sorry about that! Anyone that may be interested should ask for the "Modified" coverage!

Loren
Old 01-31-2006, 01:17 PM

'10 E63
Originally Posted by Loren
yes, I did sign something different... and the "modified" coverage / contract is not listed on the site... you must ask for it. Specifically it states:

"Covered Components
Modified Coverage covers the reasonable cost to remedy any operating mechanical or electrical failure of the vehicle, for the time indicated on the contract application, except as specified as excluded, subject to the provisions of this contract.

Excluded Items: Rust damage, sheet metal, chassis frame, cross member, body rains, body panels, weather stripping, lights, tires, convertible or vinyl top components, molding, upholstery, paint, exhaust system, catalytic converter, hinges, keyless entry, brake drums, part seals, shock absorbers, batteries, carburetor, air and water leaks, wind noise, odors, squeaks and noises, contaminated fuel systems, bumpers, fluids, mounts, glass, time failed components, belts, hoses, a/c recharging, wear and tear items, clutches, video/navigation systems; and service/maintenance items."

That's why I was quoting "modified" in my original post, because that is what the contract is called and how they refer to it... sorry about that! Anyone that may be interested should ask for the "Modified" coverage!

Loren
Good! If Kleemann recommended it I suspected it must be different than what was listed on the site, but you never know. I would be most interested to hear how this company handles an expensive engine failure if and when they have a claim for one.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:31 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by JamE55
Thanks for the info Loren. I'm getting some info on this and see if it's something i might be interested in. Also see if you can make it to our Pasadena Rosebowl meet on March 4th. See the Event & Gathering section of this forum.
a few us are planning on coming!

Loren
Old 01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Loren
a few us are planning on coming!

Loren
Great! Pls don't forget to sign up on the list.

thx