W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Corvette Coupe or E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003-E55
Corvette Coupe or E55?

Didnt sleep last night...Ill tell you why!!!

was cruzing last night with a friend telling him how great the E55 is....almost convinced him to get one...but that changed when a corvette coupe C6 drove by...and kicked the living s*** out of me!!

My E55 with a K4 no LSD and Cams didnt have a chance...roled down my window to ask him how much HP is his NOS give him...surprised that car just had headers and racing filters....didnt believe him because i know my car very well and has a reputation with bigger names than the vette...

I stopped him and had a chat with him (very nice guy) he opened the hood for me and all i saw was the headers and filter...then he added that he had a diablo programmed ECU and a modified the traction control..

does that sound right to you?...or my ride needs the SSS (special sale surprise)!!!

Khaled
Old 02-09-2006, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Your car should not lose to a regular C6 vette. If it was a new Z06, that is a different story....
Old 02-09-2006, 08:24 AM

MB 2006 CLS55 K4/LSD, 2006 VY C6Z06, 2005 X5 4.4
It had to be a corvette z06,a regular c6 you should have been fine, but the z06, are pretty fast stock, modified very tough to beat. I believe e55/cls55 modded with k4/lsd/ including cams (650hps/ 6.5 lbs per hps) would just about keep up with z06 stock (505hps/ 6.5 lbs per hps), they are other small factors, but I think it would close, but if the zo6 is modded with cams header, pullies. ecu etc. I gotta give it to the Z06, very impersive car.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by E.fifty.5

was cruzing last night with a friend telling him how great the E55 is....almost convinced him to get one...but that changed when a corvette coupe C6 drove by...and kicked the living s*** out of me!!

My E55 with a K4 no LSD and Cams didnt have a chance...roled down my window to ask him how much HP is his NOS give him...surprised that car just had headers and racing filters....didnt believe him because i know my car very well and has a reputation with bigger names than the vette...

I stopped him and had a chat with him (very nice guy) he opened the hood for me and all i saw was the headers and filter...then he added that he had a diablo programmed ECU and a modified the traction control..

does that sound right to you?...or my ride needs the SSS (special sale surprise)!!!

Khaled

Yes, that sounds right. A C6 with those mods can run mid 11's. The C6 is a great car to make fast for the street and a every day driver. ( but so is your BenZ )
Old 02-09-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
Corvettes can be very tricky and deceptive. They can be modded up the *** and you can't tell when just looking at it.

In our local Impala club mods are VERY popular and pretty much nobody is stock. There are built daily driven Impalas that turn mid-12's at the track all day long and look bone stock with the exception of intake and headers. Everything is internal on these GM cars.

The new LS2/LS7 engines are even more responsive to mods. If the car he raced wasn't a Z06, then it was a modded C6.

Just remember, even if he said the car had no other mods, he could be just teasing you. I tell most people my car is a V6 and front wheel drive like the rest of the current crappy Buicks.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Well, if your friend were to get a C6 Corvette and race you, unless it was a Z06, he'd be VERY disappointed. It could have been a heads/cam/stroker car and you would never have known the difference, open hood or not. You just can't tell with those cars.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you can tell through the exhaust if you are used to the sound of a stock one... most vettes that have all those mods have new induction and mass air flow right there for you to see on top! did you see anything like that?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Khaled

was this from a role from a stop?

with out the LSD and all that power it would be hard to get a clean launch...

what size of rear wheels do you have?

From a roll you should been able to take him, since he did not have a blower.

K2 cars are running high 11's to mid 11's and trap speed of 120+... and if adding headers/ECU/fillter exhaust on a C6 adds 80hp+ it will not make it faster then a Z06 (c6) and those things run 11.7xx

either he has more mods or something wrong with your car and it is not putting down all the power.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Do the math again.......you said c6 with exhaust and ecu upgrade=480+HP.C6 ZO6=500+HP,plus its geared lower,rev higher,and much lighter,so he would have his hands filled with either on.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I saw a video on the net regular C6 with few mods and it hang with M5 from a roll to 250+ kms....

here's the video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...811823417&q=m5
Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jamusa
Do the math again.......you said c6 with exhaust and ecu upgrade=480+HP.C6 ZO6=500+HP,plus its geared lower,rev higher,and much lighter,so he would have his hands filled with either on.
My point was:

A lightly modded C6 with out kompressor will not be faster than a stock Z06. ECU, headers and airfilter are normal mods. Cams, polishing ports, new throttle body, boring.. ect those are heavy mods. From the information provided, the C6 was modded with normal components.

lets do the math once more:

the Z06 will be lighter than a modded C6 (advantage Z06).

Z06 has wider tires (adv Z06)

Better aero dynamic (adv Z06)

7.0L better torque curve and at lower revs (adv z06)

final drive ratio C6 vs Z06 stock (adv z06)

moddified track control c6 vs Z06 traction control (I would bet the Z06 has a better one)

by the wa 80hp was hypothetical number... it was just an example.

a 480hp C6 will not be faster than a 507/470+tq Z06. Not with the mods mentioned.

Why are we talkin about the Z06? Well Z06's run 11.7 or 11.8's in par with some k2 cars. The advantage is still with the Z06.

I just dont understand how a lightly modded C6 could out run a K4 E55?

if from a stop... then yes it is possible. Due to poor traction on the AMG

from a roll.. I think there is something more to the story. Either the C6 has cams, other major componets inside the engine or the AMG is having issues.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:26 PM

I am with TopGun32 on this one. Either the C6 has more mods or the K4 E55 is not running well. I too have a hard time with a K4 Car losing to a lightly modded C6. It just doesnt add up.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:04 PM

The car in the video appears to be a c6/zo6 and not a regular c6.Look at the vent on the hood.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:33 PM

a few...
so have we determined if it was a Z or not?

It'd have to be a pretty modified LS2 C6 to do that to a K4. You can put in a really aggressive cam and intake and exhaust and get some major gains, but if it was a Z, then it'd be a really close race... with the Z probably comin' out on top if the driver knew what he was doing.
If we are talking about a modded Z even, it's all over...

But honestly, what took out a K4 like that????
Old 02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by merc655
so have we determined if it was a Z or not?

It'd have to be a pretty modified LS2 C6 to do that to a K4. You can put in a really aggressive cam and intake and exhaust and get some major gains, but if it was a Z, then it'd be a really close race... with the Z probably comin' out on top if the driver knew what he was doing.
If we are talking about a modded Z even, it's all over...

But honestly, what took out a K4 like that????

thanks merc655

and this is from a man that owns both vehicles..

A c6 without a kompressor needs high mods to even stay with a K1 or K2 car, let alone with a K4.

a Zo6 is a different story... those are beast right out of the box.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55

Khaled
My guess is he had a heads and cam package. Maybe gears, too. Would be very hard to tell unless his cam was pretty aggressive and he was idling when you stopped to chat.

Headers on my C5 Z06 got me about 25 rwhp. With headers, high flow cats, an air filter, a cat-back exhaust and dyno tuning, I picked up about 40 rwhp over my baseline (from 352 to 392). With just headers, a filter and a computer tune, I can't see him putting out much more than what I was putting down in my C5 Z06. I don't see how that destroys a K4 car that is running healthy. My two cents.

Check out the corvette forums, I bet you'll find a kill story there, and then you may be able to see what was done to his car.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6

Khaled
It must have been a "Saturday Night Special" C6.

Do you recall if he had an automatic (A4) or manual (M6)?

A typical C6 Long tube header (LGM per se), LPE CAI and PCM tune would get you very very close to 400rwhp and a few ticks over 400rwtq. Not sure what he meant about the modified traction control??? The C6 utilizes several traction control modes; Competitive Driving Mode, T/C Off, Active Handling reduced interference, T/C and A/H Off. Unless he was refering to the infamous TQ management.

None the less, having seat time in a C6 with bolt-ons and W211 E55 K2s, I'm pressed to say it's hard to believe he kicked the living s*** out of you even if he were flying thru the gears like a NASCAR driver. He quite possibly had a modified head &/or cam, or even upgraded rear end (3.90/4.10) these can go unnoticed to an untrained eye, even a baby cam can have a small lope and idle like stock. But now your talking about 470+rwhp/rwtq, plenty more with a spot-on tune. Some companies with the likes of STS & APS are using remote mount turbos, hard to notice with a simple glance. These setup can certainly be a contender to the modded fifty-fives.

Granted your climate is not too forgiving for boosted applications, I visited a relative in Bur Dubai a few summers ago...45 degree C daily! Dubai is a nice cosmopolitan city, very well kept, people were nice and accomodating.

Better luck on your next meeting with him.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jamusa
The car in the video appears to be a c6/zo6 and not a regular c6.Look at the vent on the hood.
It's a C6 with a Lingenfelter hood.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:46 PM

a few...
Those are some serious machines...
Old 02-10-2006, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Those are some serious machines...
If your refering to me...THANKS! But, a serious car enthusist stable should include a W211 E55 and C6 Z06...I'm working on it. :p I applause your choices!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:15 AM

a few...
truth be told, I just traded my E for a new M5
Old 02-10-2006, 12:39 AM

a toy
The C6 actually has better aerodynamics due to a cleaner and narrower body.

The C6 has been out much longer and more aftermarket parts are available.

Btw, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned NOS yet. it's very easy to install on Vettes and cannot be easily seen. The intake tract is covered underneath and most people route the NOS hose from there.

I would rule out the gear ratios. For the record, the Z06's main difference is a longer 1st gear to prevent a hard launch from going up in smoke. The regular C6 has just enough traction for its slightly more aggressive gearing as it is.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

truth be told, I just traded my E for a new M5
No shame in that!!

The new E60 M5 is a fantastic car. My Brother-in-law has a 03 E39 M5 and he's looking to upgrade to the E60. We took a test drive at a local dealer, I sat in the back and the exhaust note is F1 music, but unfortunately the sales guy didn't know much about the features of the car and due to the low miles we couldn't shut off the DSC and run S6 mode.

Last edited by Richard Galing; 02-10-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:56 PM

a few...
S6 Sport and DSC off is where the M5 shines... absolutely phenomenal. The exhaust note is unlike anything I have ever seen and to be honest, when you hear it start up... well I honestly can't even put it into words but it probably is the most unique car at startup I have ever heard, besides a diesel truck

It will be a nice change, but I went out last night and literally ran the tires to the treadmarks on the E... that car is amazing and I know I will miss it, but I guess anybody misses their previous car in some ways.

Thanks for the support too, I will post pics after the weekend since I will be taking a road trip immediately tomorrow morning for the entire weekend so I can get past the break-in
Old 02-10-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Richard023
It's a C6 with a Lingenfelter hood.
If its a lingenfelter prepped car then that explains it......depends on the stage of the mod,it may even make more power than the zo6.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corvette Coupe or E55?