Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kleemann LSD.....To get or not to get.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kleemann LSD.....To get or not to get.

DEFINATELY GET IT............it makes a night and day difference ,especially if you have k2 and above upgrade.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:51 AM

MB 2006 CLS55 K4/LSD, 2006 VY C6Z06, 2005 X5 4.4
Can't agree more, night and day, LSD should have come stock with this car. I love it!
Old 02-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Received 516 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by jamusa
DEFINATELY GET IT............it makes a night and day difference ,especially if you have k2 and above upgrade.
Hi Jamusa:

In what driving situation do you notice a difference? I don't think anyone (on this board) has shown improved 0-60ft times. It seems that most of the praise for this upgrade is subjective.

Now don't get me wrong, I want to believe that I didn't spend the extra $2500.00 for nothing but I'm not noticing "night and day". I would expect that LSD would probably get me around the track quicker but I don't think any one has posted those results yet. Please prove me wrong.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hardest part of that test is that noone just puts LSD on their cars. It's always with K1 2 or 3 mods.

Its only logical though that LSD would help......why?

Car with one tire spins, when she does ESP is activated and moves to brake it slightly and then close throttle body and let's admit, you spin A LOT on the E55.

Add another wheel spinning in sync.....less spin equals less ESP activation which means less system shutdown to save your life, yet improve your time.

Yes, I agree, a super hot drag radial may as well do the trick on one tire at the track, but who the heck wants to drive around on drag radials. It's rolling death.

Just my 2 cents.

Bottom line.....commeee onnnnn. Walk up to any guy at the dragtrack and give him that arguement "Did you know that posi rears don't help you at all off the line" He will gather around the fellas and have you repeat it, then probably make you get on the PA and announce it for giggles.

Not being mean Rock and if I have please forgive, you're one of the good guys.

It's just that this arguement seems silly.....LSD is the drag track standard.....why would it not help our cars out of the whole??

I welcome your input.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:06 AM

2014 GL 350 on order
rock: another new K2 owner here. I went around with that question as well when I had mine installed last month. It is true if you dont know how to launch this beast that LSD wont make you a star out of the hole. I figured that with the native traction issues it could only get worse with an extra 100HP/100+Tork. To satisfy the scientist in you get the K2 kit installed and go to the track. You can add it later if you feel we were correct in our predominantly subjective 'seat of the pants' tests. JakPro etc. please help my thinking here-Joker
Old 02-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Jakpro, what a *****!!

Listen, I get the whole LSD thing and that is why I had it installed. I expect that it helps most during driving transitions, like coming out of a corner hard.
Where I'm not so sure it makes much difference is launching out of the hole, especially at the track. ESP still intervenes very early and it seems to negate any if not all of LSD's help. Turn Esp off and all you do is spin........ with or without LSD.

If I try to launch the car without ESP, I am not talented enough to modulate the throttle consistently to get anywhere fast. It seems like 99% of people, with or without power upgrades, get their best 1/4 times with ESP left on.

So help a brotha out..............show me someones improved 0-60ft times with LSD and I will stop being so dumb.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:36 PM

07 S65
I'm with Rock on this one. I haven't seen one person show any improvements by adding lsd. I said this before, my car feels faster after I wash it? Is it truely faster, quicker? No. If LSD were, I think we would see a difference between the cars with vs the cars without, and you haven't. The computer controls the rear well enough to get both tires spinning and the car moving forward. The limited slip isn't helping anymore than the computer, it just ain't happening. As for the arguement about the guys at the drag strip. They aren't running LSD's, they're running lockers without computer controlled rears. I'm one of those guys that your talking about. I don't have lsd in my E55 because it doesn't do a better job than the computer.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by DJe55
I'm with Rock on this one. I haven't seen one person show any improvements by adding lsd. I said this before, my car feels faster after I wash it? Is it truely faster, quicker? No. If LSD were, I think we would see a difference between the cars with vs the cars without, and you haven't. The computer controls the rear well enough to get both tires spinning and the car moving forward. The limited slip isn't helping anymore than the computer, it just ain't happening. As for the arguement about the guys at the drag strip. They aren't running LSD's, they're running lockers without computer controlled rears. I'm one of those guys that your talking about. I don't have lsd in my E55 because it doesn't do a better job than the computer.
I agree with you both. I don't have an lsd and run consistent 1.71 60ft's on dr and 1.84 on the 20's. Our cars have the best open diff on the market period. Until someone with an lsd 60ft's 1.59 or low 1.60 I will spend my money elsewhere.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:10 PM

C 230K Coupé
I'm just wondering how LSD could not help the cars off the line. You would prob need to do it with ESP off though and learn how to get just the right amount of power down.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SL55
Cory at Kleemann says the LSD is good for .3 seconds in a quarter mile. I had it installed with the rest of the K2 mods so I couldn't say if it makes much seat of the pants difference with or without. Without slicks, the K2 55 simply overwhelms the stock rear tires with or without the esp being on, mine loses traction from a 40+ mph rolling start. Without esp and from a standing start I think it would take a skilled driver on a familiar track to manage wheelspin better than leaving the esp on. So where does that leave the LSD? Mabye Cory has some input on this. Either way, a 55 without K2 mods is like a instead of a .
jeff
Old 02-20-2006, 08:08 AM

07 S65
I would like to see where anyone can get .3 better in the 1/4mi with the LSD? It's just not going to happen. I've had 1.67 60' with my car stock and just adding road racing tires to the rear, not DR's. If anyone thinks they are going to better that number by .3, sign me up. I want to watch. That's why I never trust numbers given by the tuners themselves. They haven't made any improvements in this department.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
I tracked my car before and after K2/LSD mods and my 0-60 ft times stayed the same. See this thread:Before and After

I have since improved my 0-60ft time slightly but this is likely due to a little more experience under my belt. I hate to say it but DR are a better investment if your only goal is to have a lower 1/4 mile time.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 PM

I am not saying or implying that i am a better driver than anyone,neither did i say it made me go faster.What i ment when i say that,it was nite and day difference,is that it makes my car track much straighter.Before LSD my car had a tendancy of the rear sliding to one side under hard acceleration out the hole.aAfter LSD the car tracks much straighter.
My experience must be different,maybe its b/c i run on the street as apposed to the track.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 PM

C 230K Coupé
You can do better donuts and burn outs with LSD
Old 02-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SL55
In my little world that's probably all I need to know.
jeff
Old 02-23-2006, 02:34 PM

There is no way that you would not benefit from an LSD! However, I can see what you mean because you're only dragging your car. The real benefit from an LSD is not in a straight line - it's coming off of the apex, especially in tight corners. Are you trying to say that you never accellerate hard except in a straight line?

On a related note, Quaife has started producing true ATB (not phantom-type like Kleemann) LSDs. They may have a unit for the E55.

More info (long thread) here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/110488-quaife-lsd-c55.html
Old 02-23-2006, 04:31 PM

07 S65
Originally Posted by m3_eater
There is no way that you would not benefit from an LSD! However, I can see what you mean because you're only dragging your car. The real benefit from an LSD is not in a straight line - it's coming off of the apex, especially in tight corners. Are you trying to say that you never accellerate hard except in a straight line?

On a related note, Quaife has started producing true ATB (not phantom-type like Kleemann) LSDs. They may have a unit for the E55.

More info (long thread) here: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110488
If you like taking a 4100lbs car through the turns at speed, more power to you. This car needs a lot more than LSD to help it do that. Taking the E through corners is not fun to me. I'm not road racing my sedan, I have other cars to do that with. Also, if you were to read the entire post you will understand that 60' times (straight line) was what everyone was gauging the improvements.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:32 PM

If you like taking a 4100lbs car through the turns at speed, more power to you. This car needs a lot more than LSD to help it do that. Taking the E through corners is not fun to me. I'm not road racing my sedan, I have other cars to do that with. Also, if you were to read the entire post you will understand that 60' times (straight line) was what everyone was gauging the improvements.

I did - and I agree. I'm saying that it is foolish to guage the improvements offered by an LSD by a metric in which it is not designed to offer much.