Sponsored by:

Ran an M5 this morning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Ran an M5 this morning

Coming back from a coffee run early this morning I was greeted by a new metallic red M5 at the light. Driver gave the nod, I put the E in comfort mode (suspension) transmission was in Sport auto w/ esp off. Light turns green and we're off. To my surprise my rear bumper was a tad in front of his car and he was not gaining, we shut it down around 100. Next light, we ran again this time I had a little bit more distance. Still no gain on his end. I'm sure he would eventually catch and pass me over 120 based on some videos I have watched. Today the bone stock E had no problem. He pulled up next to me and we gave each other a thumbs up, then he dropped the hammer as I was pulling off. I must say the M sounded fantastic. Beautiful car.

Was this just luck or is the E just that much better off the line? Maybe, it was the two baby seats (no kids in the car!!) I had in the back that gave me the extra edge. I would think an E with a stage 1 (pulley ecu) upgrade would do just fine even over 100. No? I know on the track or twisties the M would walk away but on the street they might need to bring a little more juice to the show. All in all good fun.

Last edited by L8Apex; 02-25-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
nice run.... how much did you spin off the line? on the street, my launches are always better with ESP on.... otherwise the car just spins too much.....

Originally Posted by L8Apex
Coming back from a coffee run early this morning I was greeted by a new metallic red M5 at the light. Driver gave the nod, I put the E in comfort mode (suspension) transmission was in Sport auto w/ esp off. Light turns green and we're off. To my surprise my rear bumper was a tad in front of his car and he was not gaining, we shut it down around 100. Next light, we ran again this time I had a little bit more distance. Still no gain on his end. I'm sure he would eventually catch and pass me over 120 based on some videos I have watched. Today the bone stock E had no problem. He pulled up next to me and we gave each other a thumbs up, then he dropped the hammer as I was pulling off. I must say the M sounded fantastic. Beautiful car.

Was this just luck or is the E just that much better off the line? Maybe, it was the two baby seats (no kids in the car!!) I had in the back that gave me the extra edge. I would think an E with a stage 1 (pulley ecu) upgrade would do just fine even over 100. No? I know on the track or twisties the M would walk away but on the street they might need to bring a little more juice to the show. All in all good fun.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:25 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Good run L8Apex - havent found any new M5 (E60) boys in S.FL that want to play - which means that I am sure your run is pretty indicative of what will happen in street races from a dig.

And I agree with Fikse - for street racing - leave the ESP ON - unless you have the time to prime yourself without any distrations and you can discipline yourself to feed it in as the light turns - otherwise you will just burn rubber on a hard excited launch!

Originally Posted by Fikse
nice run.... how much did you spin off the line? on the street, my launches are always better with ESP on.... otherwise the car just spins too much.....
Old 02-25-2006, 04:28 PM

05E55
Complete stop. Rolled into the throttle, still had a little wheel spin. I'll try an ESP on launch next time. If it is that much better, maybe the results would be too.

BTW, I can't stand the ESP! It drives me nuts. This is the first car I have ever owned with this electronic bureaucracy. I have it off when ever I am driving by myself. The car is much more "likeable". With proper throttle input it (IMHO) performs much better. Still even on the edges of the envelope the ESP intervenes, which is ok in my book. I figure it's keeping me honest.

Last edited by L8Apex; 02-25-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by L8Apex
Complete stop. Rolled into the throttle, still had a little wheel spin. I'll try an ESP on launch next time. If it is that much better, maybe the results would be too.

BTW, I can't stand the ESP! It drives me nuts. This is the first car I have ever owned with this electronic bureaucracy. I have it off when ever I am driving by myself. The car is much more "likeable". With proper throttle input it (IMHO) performs much better. Still even on the edges of the envelope the ESP intervenes, which is ok in my book. I figure it's keeping me honest.
In short ,below 100 mph,from standing start in particular,AMG will always be ahead.How much ahead would depend how well the M5 is driven.
Agree with the "ESP" statement ,the constant interference,fun killing and inability to completely shut it off drove me nuts, too.
That's one of the reasons I'm having so much fun with the M which allows a totally "pure" driving experience.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55K
Why did you put comfort mode instead of Sport 2?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:59 PM

a few...
Comfort Mode will put a little bit more weight towards the rear since the suspension isn't so stiff... (better for drag racin')

Nice runs.

Seems like the usual outcome of the E55 vs M5.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
you can indeed turn it completely off for that "pure" experience.... and you can launch as well without having to go through all kinds of procedures....

Originally Posted by absent
In short ,below 100 mph,from standing start in particular,AMG will always be ahead.How much ahead would depend how well the M5 is driven.
Agree with the "ESP" statement ,the constant interference,fun killing and inability to completely shut it off drove me nuts, too.
That's one of the reasons I'm having so much fun with the M which allows a totally "pure" driving experience.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you can indeed turn it completely off for that "pure" experience.... and you can launch as well without having to go through all kinds of procedures....
I know ,I know ,but "Dyno mode" with all the flashing warnings is suitable only for 1/4 mile .
Old 02-26-2006, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
There are some warnings, but If your driving style is so agressive, that driving with ESP off is not suitable, then the things associated with being in dyno mode shouldn't be an issue....

you really have to be pushing it very hard to have the protection mechanisms associated with "ESP being off" come on and effect how you are inteding to drive....

Originally Posted by absent
I know ,I know ,but "Dyno mode" with all the flashing warnings is suitable only for 1/4 mile .
Old 02-26-2006, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are some warnings, but If your driving style is so agressive, that driving with ESP off is not suitable, then the things associated with being in dyno mode shouldn't be an issue....

you really have to be pushing it very hard to have the protection mechanisms associated with "ESP being off" come on and effect how you are inteding to drive....
It is just so easy to slide the car on the ramp accessing a highway or when the road is empty and twisty ,to have the ability to just turn everything off ,on demand ,with just one little button.
I just wish AMG would offer similar option too,for these occassions when I just feel like "drifting through the corner".
I'm seriously considering doing it myself with the CLS63(try to install a switch) which I expect to provide even more fun then the M5 ,having all that torque down low but still being able to match or exceed the ability of V10 at higher rpms.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:57 AM

05E55

Fiske, I agree!

absent,

If you do not like the ESP interference, TURN it OFF! (Pretty Simple)
I have found the E to be fairly predictable at the limit with the ESP off. The car will rotate nicely by steering with the throttle during a spirited drive. Not bad handling for a car of this size. Actually, lots of fun.

But honestly, how much time do you spend in the car to get this handling experience? For me less than 5% (Saturday morning drives). Most of it is spent going from light to light and on the highways (waiting for that opening thru traffic) day in day out, taking the kids all over etc. Hence, the reason I got an E55. Not to mention the fantastic styling!! (IMHO The ultimate driving experience for everyday "real world" use.) In order to get the true driving experience of the M5 you must be at its limit majority of the time, above 100mph on a straight or on twisties or the track. BTW, if I wanted the ultimate driving experience on the track or the canyons, it would never have four doors and it would never way over 2800 lbs PERIOD. Queue the PCAR.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:58 PM

a few...
Okay,
L8apex sweet rides.

But for the whole, I like the drivability for the real world thing... okay so it's true we all know it. But the M5 isn't made, obviously, for high torque, low rpm situations. Duh... it's a 5.0 liter V10 with an 8,250rpm redline. Do you think it's going to have a lot of torque? Driving an M5 isn't about having everyday drivability and pleasure for the stop and go-traffic world we live in today. I mean, when I start mine up in the morning... I laugh, I really do just because the engine not only sounds like a diesel, but it's also so incredibly quiet, you can barely tell it's on.
But don't simply justify your performance sedan choice just with the self-satisfaction of having more torque and being able to beat the M5 in a straight line every time. We all know the E55 OWNS the M5 at stoplights and at the Track even. The M5 isn't the same driving experience as the E55, it is for the high speed runs, indeed, but those runs are incredible.

Now, believe me, I was always that way when I had my E55 for a year and half and every mile was worth it You should give credit where it's due because even though it isn't as straightline fast as the E, it's other behaviors are unbelievable...

PS Not tryin' to start a flamewar, I just wanted to let you know what lurks on the other side of the fence...
Old 02-27-2006, 10:03 AM

05E55
Originally Posted by merc655
Okay,
L8apex sweet rides.

But for the whole, I like the drivability for the real world thing... okay so it's true we all know it. But the M5 isn't made, obviously, for high torque, low rpm situations. Duh... it's a 5.0 liter V10 with an 8,250rpm redline. Do you think it's going to have a lot of torque? Driving an M5 isn't about having everyday drivability and pleasure for the stop and go-traffic world we live in today. I mean, when I start mine up in the morning... I laugh, I really do just because the engine not only sounds like a diesel, but it's also so incredibly quiet, you can barely tell it's on.
But don't simply justify your performance sedan choice just with the self-satisfaction of having more torque and being able to beat the M5 in a straight line every time. We all know the E55 OWNS the M5 at stoplights and at the Track even. The M5 isn't the same driving experience as the E55, it is for the high speed runs, indeed, but those runs are incredible.

Now, believe me, I was always that way when I had my E55 for a year and half and every mile was worth it You should give credit where it's due because even though it isn't as straightline fast as the E, it's other behaviors are unbelievable...

PS Not tryin' to start a flamewar, I just wanted to let you know what lurks on the other side of the fence...
No argument here. I think the M5 is a technical work of art. The performance in that packaging is simply amazing. But, for me the E55 fit my needs as a daily driver. (I have a track car.) Not to mention the budget. Twins are expensive and that extra $20k will come in handy for the Supermodel Eastern Block Nanny!! (still can't sell that deal to wifey )

Old 02-27-2006, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
a pulley and chip will close the advantage of the M5 on the top speed.

But so far this is only specualation, since the dream match up of K1 or K2 vs M5 has not been fulfilled. 0 to 150 or rolling runs.

hopefully soon..
Old 02-27-2006, 02:36 PM

a few...
I really want to see the race between a K car and an M5. From a stop on, the K cars will most likely be ahead the whole way, but from a roll I think the M5 wouldn't do too badly. The pulling power up top of the M5 is unbelievable and the K car will either keep right up or beat one, depending on the tune and modifications.

L8apex, since you do have a track car, I think the E is more user friendly and you can have more fun around town with 516 lb/ft of torque!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Received 521 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I do not think you are going to see a stock M5 run a K2 car at highway speeds. The K2 E55 has a 70-80 hp advantage. Furthermore, look at 1/4 mile trap speeds on these cars (a 5-6mph difference exist). I will tell you that my car continues to pull like a train well past 130mph.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:09 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
I would say that the outcome is to be expected on most occasions unless the E55 just sits there burning rubber. The TQ advantage of the E is too much to overcome for the M5. The M5 pulls like a mother in 4th gear ( I almost rear ended a Viper this past weekend when we were doing 120+), but that's besides the point.
The K1 or K2 should put even more distance on the M5 (I'm assuming this based on trap speeds at the track)...rolling, who knows since this was never done and would be speculation at this point.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
E55 Power,

Do you happen to be in the DC/NOVA area? If so lets do a M5 vs. K2 match.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by e55 baller
E55 Power,

Thanks!

Let me play too. That sounds like fun. Let me know if you guys meet up.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow 996 TT
Let me play too. That sounds like fun. Let me know if you guys meet up.

don't forget to "video tape" every run...

if you are lucky to find an empty deserted flat road... please try to reach 150.

Of course safety is first, therefore if you can't do it, that's okay.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by e55 baller
E55 Power,

Thanks!

I'm in the Fairfax Area! Would love to meet, only problem is where would we be able to run going that fast without going to jail in FFX County?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:53 AM

07 S65
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
I'm in the Fairfax Area! Would love to meet, only problem is where would we be able to run going that fast without going to jail in FFX County?
Whats up Alex! Are you coming to the track event on the 24th? Hope to see you there. If you guys want to meet up and try to make a run let me know. I know of a couple of places that this can be done.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Almost a Member!

E55 AMG
ive raced an m5 off the line but there is a big difference if the driver knows how to put the m5 in the launch mode i raced my friend various times in the m5 and when he figured out the launch mode he took me off the line by a lot....ive noticed a lot of m5 drivers dont know all the tricks to get the max out of thir m5's
Old 03-01-2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by MCHE55
ive raced an m5 off the line but there is a big difference if the driver knows how to put the m5 in the launch mode i raced my friend various times in the m5 and when he figured out the launch mode he took me off the line by a lot....ive noticed a lot of m5 drivers dont know all the tricks to get the max out of thir m5's

Your 20 inch wheels could have accounted for your loss. I've raced my friend's E55 with LC and still could not take him off the line. Only when moving was there a difference but not from a standstill.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ran an M5 this morning