Sponsored by:

Please Don't Let This Happen To You

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Don't Let This Happen To You

These cars have a certain power that demands respect. With the touch of our toe we can access such a large amount of sheer force as to thrust a 2 ton piece of steel to 60 miles per hour in only 5 seconds. Last night I experienced the truth of this power and it was something that I would never forget.
For some reason we tend to have this mental chauvinism that makes us believe we're invincible. We seem to let that mentality tell us over and over that it will never happen to me. I, like many others, thought this way until last night. Last night I did something so incredibly stupid that I now feel worthless. I feel like I don't deserve anything that I have because of the sheer lack of respect for the values of life that I have exhibited up to this point. In an attempt to push my car to its limits and really produce the power that it holds under its bonnet, I spun out and went up and half way over a curb, teetering on the edge of a small cliff. Luckily I was with a couple of buddies and, coincidentally, CynCarvin32 happened to be driving by right after it happened and stopped by to lend a gracious helping hand.
When things like this happen they come as a shock. I, for one, am still in shock as I am writing this. No one ever thinks that it can happen to them until it does. There is a very fine line between a risk and a tragedy and it is a border than can easily be crossed.
The reason why I am writing this is to try and prevent anything like this from happening again. Lots of us like to have fun and there is nothing wrong with that. I simply want to tell everyone who this is waiting to happen to that it really is not worth the risk. There are so many more things that are of such greater in value in life and there is no reason why those things should be put in jeopardy. Sometimes we act on impulse and make decisions that are not necessarily the right ones. Sometimes we neglect the fact that there may be consequences to our actions. Sometimes we're just stupid.
Please guys, be safe in whatever you do. There is no need to risk that which is most valuable for a 10 second thrill. Stick to the tracks and play by the rules. Along with others, I had to learn the hard way and I really don't want you to have to as well. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I can so you guys can see exactly what happened.
Be safe, think wisely,
- Bijan
Old 03-04-2006, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
It sounds like you feel bad enough as it is and admitted some unsafe driving on public roads and even with your buddies in the car. A good lesson to have learned.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My friends were actually not in the car with me. Were they to have been with me, this would be an entirely different - and much worse - story. I don't like to drive like that with them in the car for that exact reason, yet it was a good lesson nevertheless.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Received 521 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
These type of events are a good wake-up call for all of us. They tend to sort out what's important in life.

Glad you are still with us. I would've hated to rename you Eleanor Owned.

Last edited by Rock; 03-04-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Hey Bijan,
The fact that you post your concerns with the hopes of helping us shows that you are far from worthless. We all make judgement errors from time to time. That does not make you bad in any way. Learn from it, count your blessings and move on. Glad that it did not go over. Don't beat yourself up too bad. Yes, it sucks. But, in the ned, you learn something about yourself that you may not have known before. Grow from it and that is enough of a lesson. Thatnks for the heads up. maybe some of us can count our blessings as well, and have a safe trip up to the Rose Bowl???!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Glad you're okay and that no one else was killed/hurt. Cars could always be replaced, lives can't. Play it safe out there guys!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
I know how your feeling my friend.I though exactly the same way in my M3 after having the whole suspention re done and driving it for years.I ended up taking a corner a hair to fast(over 100).I had 4 people in the car and we power slid threw the corner and over the curb.We did a 360 in the grass and went back over the tar(thank god we were angled right or we would of flipped the car many times.After that we went past the other side of the high way and did another 180 on the grass and ended up in a ditch.

I though I knew my car beacuse Iv been driving it for years,but didnt think about the cold weather and traction with my summer tires.

I got lucky I did not kill my self and the others in the car.I had a sick feeling in my stomach for about 2 weeks and I didnt even want to look at my car.

Thank god your ok and let this be a lesson for all.

Last edited by skratch77; 03-04-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rock
I would've hated to rename you Eleanor Owned.
You know, at this point I didn't think anything could even make me crack a smile - but damn that was funny.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
OK, i drove thru mulholland and beverly glen and saw your skid marks. you were clearly doing donuts and showing off. then you lost it and drove up on the curb. it's pretty pathetic that you would post this on mbworld like you made an honest mistake loosing control of your car when in fact you were recklessly doing donuts in a busy intersection. c'mon.

you are eleanor owned, by yourself.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
OK, i drove thru mulholland and beverly glen and saw your skid marks. you were clearly doing donuts and showing off. then you lost it and drove up on the curb. it's pretty pathetic that you would post this on mbworld like you made an honest mistake loosing control of your car when in fact you were recklessly doing donuts in a busy intersection. c'mon.

you are eleanor owned, by yourself.
I didn't deny that fact. I told you I was acting stupid. I told you that I wasn't thinking. Just as Skratch77 was taking the turn too fast and as our friend with the red E55 in the UK was going way over the speed limit when he crashed his car, I was doing something immature, irresponsible, irrational, reckless, illegal, illogical and flat out stupid. We all lose control of our cars when we get in accidents. Its not like I would lose control of my car on purpose. I was doing something stupid and I made an honest mistake in doing that stupid thing. What you are saying is exactly the point of my story: to explain that I was doing something reckless and pathetic and to give the other members a story to refer to when they are sitting at that street light at 3am with no cars around and decide to see what they can do. That being said, your insensitive comment clearly shows that you missed the point that I was trying to make and, although you probably don't care, I will overlook it for that fact. Then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You want to hate me? Fine, maybe you should.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I thought he did say that he was, too? WTF, you think he said he was sitting at a light and the demon in the beast took over??

I get the feeling that was an attempt at a joke. Keep your day job, schwarzwagen, europeans were never known for their humor.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
interesting you have posted this. I was just thinking about if I owned an E55, how much i would have to show restraint over showing off. As you said a car with this much sheer power can easily get away from someone. Sometimes we think we can control everything thrown at us...but this is a reality check...for all. Please, everyone, respect the power that these cars have. it's better to live, to enjoy it, rather than someone reporting a foolish mistake. We lost a member on this site because he thought he was in control and he pushed the limits of his car....Eleanor, Glad you are here to give us all a reminder.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
OK, i drove thru mulholland and beverly glen and saw your skid marks. you were clearly doing donuts and showing off.
OMG, I was riding my motorcycle over Mulholland at Beverly Glen today and say those 3-4 donut marks in the middle of the street.

I was thinking what in the world was someone doing here...

Now I know...

Sorry to hear what happened. On the positive side of things it looks like you learned a lesson that will stick with you for life and you were fortunate enough to walk away in good health.