Sponsored by:

*** Supercharger Shut-off Survey ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by vrus
This issue with these E55s under repeated hard acceleration runs and having the ECU disable the supercharger is starting to irritate me now.

I've wrapped and heat treated just about everything I can think of, and still, after 4 or 5 full throttle acceleration runs (with no coasting in between) my ECU shuts off my supercharger and the car feels like its a 2cyl geo metro. This has been happening on and off for a while now. Each time I think I've fixed it by treating something only for it to happen again.

I have a theory about what is going on but I need some input from everyone.

I would like to ask that if you have had your ECU disable your supercharger on you could you please reply to this post and list what mods you have or if you are stock. I would like to get a sampling of who has had this happen and what modifications they have so I can test my theory.

Once I have received some responses I will share what my thoughts were...

I would appreciate it if you could help me out with this. Thank you.
I had the same problem. Every one told me its my i/c pump so i went to my mb dealer and they changed my i/c pump and now my car pulls harder and never shuts the super charger off just change your i/c pump i guess it should fix the problem
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I've read plenty of these threads and plan to eventually get myself a Kiwi-WiFi so I can log my IATs officially..... but one question doesn't seem to have been answered in the threads I've read:

On a completely "stock" E55 if the supercharger shuts down EVEN ONCE, is that an indication of a failed (or failing) IC pump?

I don't recall seeing any threads where the someone had an unmodified car, and a good pump but was still able to build enough heat (either by hard driving and/or high ambient air temps) to cause the SC to disengage. On a hot day recently, I was able to get the SC to cut-out.... so it got me wondering if that single event is proof by itself of an impending IC Pump failure???

-G
Old 07-25-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I'm pretty much 100% stock and have had heat soak more than once. I know my pump isn't completely dead because I've also had her perform flawlessly many times since then.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
I produce supercharger systems for another brand of vehicle. I just bought an 06 E55 AMG (have not picked it up yet) and have been reading lots of posts on this forum and this thread has me puzzled a bit and I have a couple of questions.

Does the intercooler pump run all the time the engine is running?

When the supercharger is not engaged, is there a large valve that opens that allows air to bypass the compressor and enter the engine directly or does the engine pull the air through the supercharger while it is disengaged?

This IAT that reads the high temps causing the supercharger to shut down, where is that located?

Has anyone installed a temp sensor to monitor the intercooler water temp?

From the few pictures I have seen on this forum it seems that the intercooler radiator is very small given the HP rating of the engine and I can see how the system can get overwhelmed quickly.

The two small radiators in front of the A/C condenser, what are those for, power steering??

I am surprised to see so many pump failures. We use basically the same pump in some of our systems and have seen one pump failure in the last 5 years.

Can't wait to get the car into the shop and see if we can do something about the cooling capacity problem.

Thanks!

G
Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
I produce supercharger systems for another brand of vehicle. I just bought an 06 E55 AMG (have not picked it up yet) and have been reading lots of posts on this forum and this thread has me puzzled a bit and I have a couple of questions.

Does the intercooler pump run all the time the engine is running? It cycles, and is controlled by ECU. Hardwiring to switched 12V is common to ensure if car is on, it's running

When the supercharger is not engaged, is there a large valve that opens that allows air to bypass the compressor and enter the engine directly or does the engine pull the air through the supercharger while it is disengaged? Yes, small throttle body under supercharger acts as a bypass

This IAT that reads the high temps causing the supercharger to shut down, where is that located? It is behind throttle body, Aluminum Y (Straight back from TB and down)

Has anyone installed a temp sensor to monitor the intercooler water temp?

Yes, there are individuals that log this data

From the few pictures I have seen on this forum it seems that the intercooler radiator is very small given the HP rating of the engine and I can see how the system can get overwhelmed quickly.

The two small radiators in front of the A/C condenser, what are those for, power steering?? Power Steering

I am surprised to see so many pump failures. We use basically the same pump in some of our systems and have seen one pump failure in the last 5 years. These cars are now 5-8 years old. The pumps wear out, maybe faster than they should, but better alternatives exist

Can't wait to get the car into the shop and see if we can do something about the cooling capacity problem. There are a number of aftermarket (higher capacity) Heat Exchangers. Tops mounts are available / being developed to delete the small intercooler.

A good pump and an upgraded H/E helps a lot. Meth is W O N D E R F U L

Also see: Killer Chiller

Thanks!

G
Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 AM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
Killer Chiller looks very nice.

What are they doing for a higher capacity radiator on the E55?

G
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
Eurocharged, Renntech, PLM, Buckhead Imports all make an aftermarket heat exchanger
Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 PM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
Very nice. Who is making the radiator that installs in front of the stock engine radiator? I saw a picture of a prototype, is that available now?

Found a nice schematic of the supercharger and charge air cooler system on the forum. Looks like another example of German engineering. It really cleared up a lot of mystery for me on the overall layout.

The supercharger, does anyone know what the displacement of it is?

G
Old 05-07-2020, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55 AMG
Hello, I have exactly the same problem with my 05 SL55 AMG, only 56k miles. This problem seems to be getting progressively worse, as now, if I do one pass to 120 mph, drop to 90 mph, and accelerate again, its gone!! (like the GEO ref.) It will recover after considerable time of moderate driving, or the next time I drive it. I am considering an upgrade in the future, but certainly not while this is going on.... What theory are you thinking. (oh, I just put K&N filters in, thinking, restricted air flow, but no change. Additionally, it has been between 50 and 70 Deg.F here this year when I have had it out....

No mods, but just put in new bearing in clutch plate. It was doing this before the bearing squeak. Squeaky pulleys at idle? My clutch plate had the dust cover missing, and it looked like it had lost bearings, but it actually lost the spacers between the *****. The amount of ***** in the bearing is sufficient for it not to totally fail, and go out of round, but enough time, I'm sure it would.
Thanks, Mr.Mopar2
Old 05-07-2020, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Do a search and your issue will pop up.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55 AMG
Over a year and a half, the SC kickout had worsened. I replaced the IC pump now and installed K&N filters and it has not kicked out so far, but waiting for a bit warmer weather and opportunity for 4-5 hard pulls. I do believe its working as the performance has jumped up a bit probably to a 10-30 deg cooler supercharger temp.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Nine years on this thread, 1.5 years on your problem. I would put Nitrous on it and that should take care of it for sure.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:53 AM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
well, at least now this thread has been revived i know what happened to my car last weekend.