Sponsored by:

Drag Racing at Milan,MI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 350 on order
Drag Racing at Milan,MI

Gang: has anyone done 'Test&Tune' at Milan raceway in MI? I had my beast there twice this week and can't break 12.3! My rxn time is ok for a 54 y/o human but my 60' suck at 2.2. This has been since my K2/LSD upgrades. IMHO it has so much power now that due to the wheelspin the power is killed on launch.Trap speeds are 118. Before the K2 work I was getting 1.8 and 1.9 60' times. HELP! Any recs? Would drag radials make a diff? Anyone else with these issues? Thanx-Joker
Old 04-06-2006, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
ET is all about the launch.... your car has the power, if you could pull off another 1.8 short time, that 12.3 would would be around a 11.7.... if the track isn't prepped well, launch light with ESP on, you should be able to manage a 2.0 and dip into the 11's.....
Old 04-06-2006, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
118 is a very good number considering your traction issues...

no worries ETA is just one form of power and Trap speed is more impressive.

under right conditions you should be able to pick up 1 or 2 miles to your 118.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:56 PM

grocery getter
I was thinking about going to Milan next week. I have never been there so it will be new to me. How busy was it and how many runs did you get in? Also, any recommendations on what time to get there and what to expect would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by JokerzWld
Gang: has anyone done 'Test&Tune' at Milan raceway in MI? I had my beast there twice this week and can't break 12.3! My rxn time is ok for

Reaction time does not matter. You can sit at the light for a full minute and still run a 12.3, the timing starts when you break the beam.

a 54 y/o human but my 60' suck at 2.2. This has been since my K2/LSD upgrades. IMHO it has so much power now that due to the wheelspin the power is killed on launch.Trap speeds are 118. Before the K2 work I was getting 1.8 and 1.9 60' times. HELP! Any recs? Would drag radials make a diff? Anyone else with these issues? Thanx-Joker

Drag radials will make a HUGE difference. Especially on your K2 car. You can expect 1.6 60' times with a set of drag radials on your car. Air them down, get some heat in them and go for it Report back your mid 11 second passes when you do
Old 04-06-2006, 02:45 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
BTPower: went to test and tune yesterday(4-05) at 1730 and it was prettty slow-just some 'skinny kids' with thier cars havin a good time. Track prep was ok, if you want to go some time let me know-
Wayne: I have been wrestling with the DR issue and wasnt sure if it was enuf of a diff to warrant the wheels/tires expense. I guess you addressed that and thank you! Will report back-Joker
Old 04-06-2006, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Didn't know you did the K2, that's awesome. I'm on a lease and too chicken. PM me sometime when you're planning on going again. I'd love to see it in action.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Almost a Member!

M3
Originally Posted by TopGun32
118 is a very good number considering your traction issues...

no worries ETA is just one form of power and Trap speed is more impressive.

under right conditions you should be able to pick up 1 or 2 miles to your 118.

Not true..MPH increases when you have bad traction. Because your spinning your tires hence the speed increases but your not accellerating as quick if you had an aewsome 60 foot. His mph will probably drop slightly if he hooks up on a good run.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by OUTLAW///M3 SMG
Not true..MPH increases when you have bad traction. Because your spinning your tires hence the speed increases but your not accellerating as quick if you had an aewsome 60 foot. His mph will probably drop slightly if he hooks up on a good run.

If he ran with ESP on, his MPH will increase when he gets more traction. That's also true if you really roast the tires, even with ESP off. MB's ESP will still intervene and stop the wheelspin.

I think a K2, in reasonable weather with drag radials, should run 120+.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

k2's are easy in the 120 range.. some have trap 121 and 122..

with better traction during the run, it will create more push and thrust therefore it will have a higher speed when crossing the finish line.

think about if you are walking on ice...

if you have spikes you will build up more speed than if you have regular shoes..

the overall speed will be better if the traction is consistent throughout the entire run, not just out of the hole.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by TopGun32
the overall speed will be better if the traction is consistent throughout the entire run, not just out of the hole.

Actually, he's right. As a general rule, you will have a higher MPH if you spin. But it's more complicated when you're dealing with cars that have traction control. They can abruptly cut power to stop the wheelspin.

On cars I've drag raced, I have experienced spin = high MPH. But in our cars, if you bake the tires, the computer will intervene. Instead of just gently pedaling the car, it will kill it until wheelspin stops.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Almost a Member!

M3
I see what your saying but in my experience and others with a strong drag racing backroud, that is still not correct. I have over 10 years drag racing experience. 5 of which was on a national level.

Here is a perfect example. If you have a car that runs lets say a 11.9@118mph with a 2.0 60 foot. then you take the same car and get a 1.9 60 foot, same driver, same day, etc. the et will drop down to 11.7 but the mph will actually decrease slightly. I have seen as anywhere from 1-2 mph on average.

MPH reflects hp. If you gain more traction that reflects a lower ET. Unless you have a way of boosting your power during the run with more traction its unlikely to gain mph on that run.

I understand that the ESP "traction control" will have effect on et and possibly mph. this was just my 2 cents. Im just saying its not what usually happens.

Last edited by OUTLAW///M3 SMG; 04-06-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:58 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
XRAYMD: yea, I pulled the trigger and never looked back-was worth it. Now I just have to get that power to the ground. Next time we go Ill PM you and come up from OH-its a blast! Joker
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see what your saying but in my experience and others with a strong drag racing backroud, that is still not correct. I have over 10 years drag racing experience. 5 of which was on a national level.

Here is a perfect example. If you have a car that runs lets say a 11.9@118mph with a 2.0 60 foot. then you take the same car and get a 1.9 60 foot, same driver, same day, etc. the et will drop down to 11.7 but the mph will actually decrease slightly. I have seen as anywhere from 1-2 mph on average.

MPH reflects hp. If you gain more traction that reflects a lower ET. Unless you have a way of boosting your power during the run with more traction its unlikely to gain mph on that run.

I understand that the ESP "traction control" will have effect on et and possibly mph. this was just my 2 cents. Im just saying its not what usually happens.
I agree, with most NA cars or even boosted cars, the ETA will be better if they had a better grip out of the hole but the Trap will suffer..

if you have too much wheels spin, the ETA will suffer, but the TRAP will increase..

however the 55k motor and its computer aided software makes it hard to keep the all 512lb of torque on the ground. Thus is creates a nightmare to get clean runs all the way through. I don't one a 55k motor but even with the 32k motor slightly modded, at certain speeds my traction is still an issue.

If you get out of the hole clean 1.8 and 1.9 and can keep the power on without ESP stepping in and loosing the rear tires in 2nd 3rd, the trap speed will increase.

Now add the K2 package, and the challange to keep the power down probably %25 harder.

A car with this set up is capable of doing mid 11's and low to mid 120's.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
XRAYMD: yea, I pulled the trigger and never looked back-was worth it. Now I just have to get that power to the ground. Next time we go Ill PM you and come up from OH-its a blast! Joker