W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** 80mm AMG Throttle Body ***

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Ahhh... I see you are familiar with Canada's tax laws... LOL..

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I'm down for any pictures, each one is worth 600 words (40% reduction = tax)
I hope you mean this in a "good karma" way.. Don't send any bad karma my way...

I had them upgrade the clutch pack because the 2006 pack is supposed to engage/disengage much smoother and transitions arent as abrupt. We'll see...

Originally Posted by Finny
I already know what's going to happen... your going to be extremely surprised!

Can't wait...

What's the purpose of the clutch upgrade? Sound or Slip?

Also, a shot of the revised pulley setup would be nice when you get 5.

Cheers...
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Not bad karma, big fat numbers!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
This problem with slipping belt only with Evo pullies ???
Old 07-11-2006, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by M5 RUS

and if it not a secret...How much is 2006 clutch pack ??? may be I should upgreade mine as well while the car is still in Germany ???
Old 07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe that was because he got an older version of the pullies, the new pullies have a lip on them.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Well.. Tech called me and said that everything was installed... They went to start the car and it was rough idling (surging).. Checked for codes and found code: P202E

He is going to change the pinouts on the wiring harness around and see if that resolves it.. If it doesnt I may have to get Germany to ship me a second TB and see if this one is deffective or not... HO HUM...

and if it not a secret...How much is 2006 clutch pack ??? may be I should upgreade mine as well while the car is still in Germany ???
Clutch pack assembly has MSRP of $860.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:12 PM

04 E55
I was under the impression that the clutchpack/pulley assembly was non-removable by itself, i.e. the entire supercharger assembly had to be replaced. I'd love to get rid of the "chirp" nonsense, so please keep us posted on this one.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:30 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by vrus
Well.. Tech called me and said that everything was installed... They went to start the car and it was rough idling (surging).. Checked for codes and found code: P202E

He is going to change the pinouts on the wiring harness around and see if that resolves it.. If it doesnt I may have to get Germany to ship me a second TB and see if this one is deffective or not... HO HUM....
Son of a Gun! Hang in there Victor. I pulled my TB to see if it could be bored out. No go, it is epoxied, can't take it apart. Did you open the SC inlet to 80 mm? I looked at doing that and it seemed very risky from a "filling falling in" point.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Dan,

I'm hanging in there.. This thing is gonna work one way or another..

I port matched the inlet to the TB so they are both 80mm.. There was plenty of "meat" on the inlet so no danger.. The machine shop did a great job on the inlet.

Once I get this new TB on my car, I am going to take my stock inlet, and stock TB and port them both to 76mm and sell them off.... If you dont want to do the full 80mm jobbie, that might be a good solution for you to consider..

I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by dsc
Son of a Gun! Hang in there Victor. I pulled my TB to see if it could be bored out. No go, it is epoxied, can't take it apart. Did you open the SC inlet to 80 mm? I looked at doing that and it seemed very risky from a "filling falling in" point.
It's definitely removeable.. Will let you know my impressions when I get to drive my car again.. LOL..

Originally Posted by GTA23109a
I was under the impression that the clutchpack/pulley assembly was non-removable by itself, i.e. the entire supercharger assembly had to be replaced. I'd love to get rid of the "chirp" nonsense, so please keep us posted on this one.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Hey Dan,

I'm hanging in there.. This thing is gonna work one way or another..

I port matched the inlet to the TB so they are both 80mm.. There was plenty of "meat" on the inlet so no danger.. The machine shop did a great job on the inlet.

Once I get this new TB on my car, I am going to take my stock inlet, and stock TB and port them both to 76mm and sell them off.... If you dont want to do the full 80mm jobbie, that might be a good solution for you to consider..

I'll let you know.
I'm interested. When they opened the SC inlet did they remove the SC or pack it with rags and grind it while n mounted? My guy didn't think there was enough room to do it on the car.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Gee that is harsh ... maybe the TB is calibrated differently for different voltage inputs ...?

Also maybe the lack of a bypass valve is mucking things up ... and mbe the ECU is specifically mapped for the stock TB and may need to be specifically moddified for the 80mm unit. I doubt very much the new unit is faulty.

I would start with the ECU mapping ... gee after all this effort this thing better work !!!!

Keep going .. we all rooting for u.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
THE ........ BEAST ........... IS ........... ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! SUCCESS!!! I have completed the 80mm TB project that I started what seems to be EONS ago.

I was really bummed (but more determined than ever) when I got the final phone call from the tech.. He finished installing everything but he couldnt get it to work. I gave him some instructions over the phone on changing the wiring around but it didnt work (I know the damn schematics by heart from staring at those tech drawings so much).

I dropped what I was doing at 3pm and asked my Tunerwerks (ECU programmer) buddy to meet me down at the MB Dealer. Well, on our second attempt at changing the wiring pinouts we got it to work. It fired right up and idled beautifully!!

Those sneaky, pesky, !@*(&#^!@ little AMG engineers really pulled a fast one on me.. On page 1 you saw I posted all of the pinout information for the E55 stock and 80mm AMG TB.. The 4 pins that were reversed on the 80mm should be because the motor operates in the opposite direction... WELL.. Rather than changing the internal electronics of the 80mm TB to read the proper signals, they decided to leave the internals of the TB alone (matching the E55 stock one) and just change the signals on the ECU side. Basically what this means is I had to re-wire some of the wires inside the loom to correct the changes they made in the signaling coming from the ECU.

The BEAST is super responsive now to blips of throttle!

I took it easy on the way home (no full throttle runs) because it is sucking in alot more air now and is probably running pretty lean. 64km to my house... By end of tomorrow the ECU should have had enough time to relearn and I will hopefully throw it on the dyno on Friday or maybe wait until MOnday just to be sure. Hopefully the Dyno will be kind to me and I'll keep this smile I have on right now!!

Oh yeah, before I forget... The new 2006 Supercharger clutch pack... 3 THUMBS UP!!!!! THIS THING ROCKS! ABSOLUTELY *** NO *** .. and I mean *** NO *** chirping! Very smooth engagement and disengagement of supercharger now! This is a night & day difference to how my car behaved before.

Any of you guys with 2003 and 2004 cars, get your dealer to put on a 2006 Supercharger clutch pack! YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!

Ok.. Enough ranting.. I am a happy camper!!

Last edited by vrus; 07-12-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats great news to hear. Cant wait for the dyno.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Awesome!!!!!!

Dyno time!!!!

P.S. Did you call me earlier?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Fabulous news .. congrats ... time to punish a dyno !!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Great news Victor.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:09 PM

Oh yeah, before I forget... The new 2006 Supercharger clutch pack... 3 THUMBS UP!!!!! THIS THING ROCKS! ABSOLUTELY *** NO *** .. and I mean *** NO *** chirping! Very smooth engagement and disengagement of supercharger now! This is a night & day difference to how my car behaved before.
Remember - there are no free lunches - softer engagement means the clutch is slipping more and will wear out faster.

I've lost track of your exploits. Did you resolve the low HP problem before the TB was installed?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Grumpster,

To be honest, I'll take the softer engagement and pay for the replacement clutches every year or two.. That's an ok tradeoff in my book. The chirping didnt bother me at all, but the harsh engagement was a tad embarassing when I had people in the car with me... This is much much better now.

As for power problem.. NO. No resolution as of latest dyno. The power dropped off because after 4,000RPM the A/F went below 10:1.. Everyone who I talked to said it was most likely belt slippage.. These new pullies that were installed should solve that now. (I hope).. I really didnt want to split up the pulley and TB install because I have been waiting a long time to get this done.

I will have to just compare this new pull to my previous best of 472rwhp, 547rwtq..

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Remember - there are no free lunches - softer engagement means the clutch is slipping more and will wear out faster.

I've lost track of your exploits. Did you resolve the low HP problem before the TB was installed?
Me too! I hope it validates my speculations.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
thats great news to hear. Cant wait for the dyno.
Hey Albert,

Yeah.. It's time to move on.. I got other fish to fry and need to close this chapter. (ie.. water/meth injection)..

Originally Posted by rflow306
Great news Victor.
Yeah. I tried your cell # that I had but it wasnt in service so I called the # in your sig.. No answer... Someone tried calling me (while I was trying to resolve this TB issue with the MB tech) but I never answered the call waiting.. I guess that was you??

I wanted to bounce some ideas of you but luckily it all worked out.

Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
Awesome!!!!!!

Dyno time!!!!

P.S. Did you call me earlier?
I just hope it doesn't punish me.

Fabulous news .. congrats ... time to punish a dyno !!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:53 PM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
Victor:

Congratulations. I sure have enjoyed following your efforts. And, I have learned alot from you (and others) along the way.

If you have any impressions on the extra pulley that the belt wraps around before it gets to the SC, I would be interested in hearing them.

Mark.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Good luck vrus,alot of us, myself included are anxious to see the outcome.So far it looks like $2000.00 for the TB and then whatever for the machining to make it work?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Mark,

Thanks! Much appreciated..

I'll pass along my thoughts on the pullies once I've had a chance to drive the car a bit more.

Originally Posted by lbE55
Victor:

Congratulations. I sure have enjoyed following your efforts. And, I have learned alot from you (and others) along the way.

If you have any impressions on the extra pulley that the belt wraps around before it gets to the SC, I would be interested in hearing them.

Mark.
Thanks!

I am going to try and put all the parts together and keep it at the $2,000 mark if anyone wants one.. Depending on how many people are interested, I will get my buddy (Tunerwerks) to order all the pieces together and have them make all the adapters at the same time that way the machining costs are shared between everyone.

I've spent just over $3,200 already to make this all work (R&D, machining, parts testing, etc).. The first unit is always the most expensive.. LOL.. I know I could have bought the Kleemann for $3,000 but I wanted to figure out how to make it work on my own (and a challenge to myself to see if I could do it too) and possibly pass along an alternate solution to others.

Originally Posted by Jrocket
Good luck vrus,alot of us, myself included are anxious to see the outcome.So far it looks like $2000.00 for the TB and then whatever for the machining to make it work?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:15 PM

CLS55 AMG
Congrats on your work vrus. Although I have not piped in before, I have been reading your posts and find it facinating.
AJ
Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 PM

CLS55
Keep us informed Vrus. Your exploits make us all more knowledgable.
Eagerly waiting those dyno #'s.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Thats Great News, Victor

I've been following your efforts from day one... I'm glad your "never say die" attitude allowed you to make it happen.

Count me in on the 80mm upgrade... as I had told you in a past email.

Now to see how much difference in horsepower it makes.

MachC5
Old 07-13-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Tb

I am going to try and put all the parts together and keep it at the $2,000 mark if anyone wants one.. Depending on how many people are interested, I will get my buddy (Tunerwerks) to order all the pieces together and have them make all the adapters at the same time that way the machining costs are shared between everyone
Put me down for one mate!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** 80mm AMG Throttle Body ***