W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** 80mm AMG Throttle Body ***

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Thanks Everyone! The support is much appreciated.

After driving it yesterday (which was a little rough because the ECU was remapping) and now today I have a little feedback:

1) Much crisper throttle response. I expected this since the throttle opening is much bigger now, but was still happy to see it. This is my favourite behaviour in a car.. The sharper the better as far as I am concerned.

2) Highway pull.. Oh My... This bigger TB really shines when you are up in the tripple digits and you want to accelerate. I think the biggest gain will be shown at high speeds based on what I felt this morning. The car pulled from 120 km/h to 192km/h VERY quickly! I had a nice smile on..

ECU still needs more time to learn so I am expecting it to get even better.

Once I am done with the dyno and I see the results on paper (hopefully my ECU wont need to be remapped again) then I will feel comfortable moving forward and creating another one for someone else... Hang in there.. We're almost done.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Thanks vrus - happy to see this is all working out - Is this with the Evo pullies - or is it "VTB80" on its own ??
Old 07-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Everything was installed.. 2006 clutch pack, evo revised pullies.. VR 80mm TB... I can call it VR TB right?? LOL..

Originally Posted by stevebez
Thanks vrus - happy to see this is all working out - Is this with the Evo pullies - or is it "VTB80" on its own ??
Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Victor,

Congrats on your well deserve project! Did you do any ECU revisions when the TB was installed or are you running the same program from before? Also hopefully the dyno will show us what the gains are. Can't wait. Oh and pics pls...
Old 07-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey James,

I still have the same program.. I dont want to change anything in the ECU to see how it behaves with what I have.. If I find out the tune has been leaned out too much when I am on the dyno then I will get the programmer to make some changes.

I'll snap some pics over the weekend of the engine bay showing the install.

Originally Posted by JamE55
Victor,

Congrats on your well deserve project! Did you do any ECU revisions when the TB was installed or are you running the same program from before? Also hopefully the dyno will show us what the gains are. Can't wait. Oh and pics pls...
Old 07-14-2006, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Thumbs up

GOOD JOB!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Congradulations Victor !!! You are getting closer and closer !!!

May you should open VRUS Tuning ???
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 AM

c32, 190e 16v turbo
vrus,
hi, and congrats on completing this mod, I own a C32 and am looking at doing a throttlebody also. I was directed to this thread by another member. I have a couple of questions and am hoping you can help me out.
1. i am thinking of using the 12 cylinder throttlebody(80mm) and was wondering if it is the same as the one you used, i know you mentioned it is not an AMG part but i am not concerned about that, im concerned about the wiring, and configuration of the unit itself.
2 do you know if the C32 wiring configuration is the same as yours, or if you can let me know how you figured yours out i would really appreciate it.

I was going to use the supercharger inlet that is on my car and have it machined to mate with the new throttlebody. My main concern is the wiring and how to figure out a solution
Old 07-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BMWEATR
GOOD JOB!
Thanks Mike! Should I put one on hold for you? LOL...

VRUS Tuning huh.. That sounds cool!!

Originally Posted by M5 RUS
Congradulations Victor !!! You are getting closer and closer !!!

May you should open VRUS Tuning ???
You need to find out a couple of things before you can select which TB is right for your car. Too big of a TB and your car will run WORSE than it does now. I am not familiar with the C32 engine so I cant tell you what the size of the stock TB is..

I did some research for you and the wiring information on your car (Engine 112.961) C32 AMG is the same as the 113 motor in my car. Look on page 1 of this thread and you can find the wiring pinouts for the 6-pin connector that goes to your TB (the Stock E55 column is the one you are to look at).

I did all my research by talking to some people that I know and spending a few nights looking through W.I.S. (Workstation Information System).

My suggestion is to talk to Vadim (he is a member on the board). He has a C32 and knows the motor well.. He can recommend what the best size TB is for the car. Once you know that, then I can help you a bit more.

Originally Posted by p rossi
vrus,
hi, and congrats on completing this mod, I own a C32 and am looking at doing a throttlebody also. I was directed to this thread by another member. I have a couple of questions and am hoping you can help me out.
1. i am thinking of using the 12 cylinder throttlebody(80mm) and was wondering if it is the same as the one you used, i know you mentioned it is not an AMG part but i am not concerned about that, im concerned about the wiring, and configuration of the unit itself.
2 do you know if the C32 wiring configuration is the same as yours, or if you can let me know how you figured yours out i would really appreciate it.

I was going to use the supercharger inlet that is on my car and have it machined to mate with the new throttlebody. My main concern is the wiring and how to figure out a solution
Old 07-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
My suggestion is to talk to Vadim (he is a member on the board). He has a C32 and knows the motor well.. He can recommend what the best size TB is for the car. Once you know that, then I can help you a bit more.
Both C32 and E55 share the same 74 mm TB. Whereis on 500HP E55 engine it is a bottleneck, on 350HP C32 engine it is more of smaller restrictor. IMHO it would not be worth playing with.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:31 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
Both C32 and E55 share the same 74 mm TB. Whereis on 500HP E55 engine it is a bottleneck, on 350HP C32 engine it is more of smaller restrictor. IMHO it would not be worth playing with.
not even porting? like 2mm?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Here is an engine shot I took which shows what the 80mm TB looks like when it is installed.

Notice the Y-pipe looks completely stock and except for the shiney 3/8 plate that is showing you wouldnt be able to tell that anything has changed.

I think this is a clean install so if anyone wants one this is what it will look like.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:44 PM

c32, 190e 16v turbo
Originally Posted by vrus
Thanks!

Thanks Mike! Should I put one on hold for you? LOL...

VRUS Tuning huh.. That sounds cool!!

You need to find out a couple of things before you can select which TB is right for your car. Too big of a TB and your car will run WORSE than it does now. I am not familiar with the C32 engine so I cant tell you what the size of the stock TB is..

I did some research for you and the wiring information on your car (Engine 112.961) C32 AMG is the same as the 113 motor in my car. Look on page 1 of this thread and you can find the wiring pinouts for the 6-pin connector that goes to your TB (the Stock E55 column is the one you are to look at).

I did all my research by talking to some people that I know and spending a few nights looking through W.I.S. (Workstation Information System).

vrus..thanks for the info! When i do more research on which throttle body to use i will DEFINETLY seek your assistance!!!

Vandim,

I kind of find it hard to believe that increasing air volume would not help?? I do understand that if the E55 has a larger restriction you would gain more power but i am willing to try ans squeeze any extra HP i can from this car. I am sure that this mod would add more power on a slightly modded engine.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Needs some makeup...

I'm thinking a little bit of media blasting on the adapter plate and it will look like the rest of the underhood alum.

Vic, I'm in when you start shipping these 80mm...

MachC5

Here is an engine shot I took which shows what the 80mm TB looks like when it is installed.

Notice the Y-pipe looks completely stock and except for the shiney 3/8 plate that is showing you wouldnt be able to tell that anything has changed.

I think this is a clean install so if anyone wants one this is what it will look like.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

vrus,

This VRTB () does not have a bypass valve right ? So is this going to impact any of the newer cars who's ecu may expect some output/feedback from the TB as the bypass is expected to be present but is not ?

If the bypass valve is completely needless then sounds fine. What TB is fitted to the new uprated SL's? Do they still have a bypass valve ?

I hope this bypass valve is not a engine longevity device ?? Any thots ??
Old 07-17-2006, 09:03 AM
SPONSOR

Very Nice! now clean your engine bay and get that thing to a dyno...
Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

+1 for a wash !!!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Man... Tough crowd!!

That's what a working man's engine looks like!! This ain't no garage queen you know!

But, I do have to get it cleaned up..

Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
Very Nice! now clean your engine bay and get that thing to a dyno...
Steve,

The bypass valve is still there.. Remember, I had to order ANOTHER inlet with the bypass valve opening because the first one I bought didnt have one..

Everything is the same in the car just like before.. Only difference now is the motor is sucking in alot more air through a 80mm opening!!!

Originally Posted by stevebez
vrus,

This VRTB () does not have a bypass valve right ? So is this going to impact any of the newer cars who's ecu may expect some output/feedback from the TB as the bypass is expected to be present but is not ?

If the bypass valve is completely needless then sounds fine. What TB is fitted to the new uprated SL's? Do they still have a bypass valve ?

I hope this bypass valve is not a engine longevity device ?? Any thots ??
Will do! Just trying to get some firm pricing on everything for QTY 5 so I know what it will cost me to get these kits together. I'll put up the info as soon as I get it.

Originally Posted by MACHC5
I'm thinking a little bit of media blasting on the adapter plate and it will look like the rest of the underhood alum.

Vic, I'm in when you start shipping these 80mm...

MachC5
Old 07-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
BTW, anyone that wants one of these setups.... Please PM me so I can keep a list. I've been getting alot of requests via PM & Email but I want a firm list of those who want one.

I've asked the vendors involved in getting me these parts to give me quotes for QTY 5.. I am waiting to hear back.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 PM

2004 E55
BTW, anyone that wants one of these setups.... Please PM me so I can keep a list. I've been getting alot of requests via PM & Email but I want a firm list of those who want one.

I've asked the vendors involved in getting me these parts to give me quotes for QTY 5.. I am waiting to hear back.
VRUS:

Sent you a PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 AM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...

Dude, you should start your own MB tuning business! Good job with the upgrade
Old 07-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks! If I ever get tired of the software business I might just do that. I have more fun with cars anyways..

Originally Posted by kchristos
Dude, you should start your own MB tuning business! Good job with the upgrade
Old 07-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Well.. The preliminary quote I received back is $2200 for me to put all the pieces together to make the complete kit. I tried my best to keep it at the $2,000 even mark but I just cant make it..

The machining is very expensive.. I paid $550 + tax to have the machining and adapter plate made up. The welding was done under a microscope to ensure no pinholes. Everything lines up 100%.

The parts in the kit are:

- AMG 80 mm TB
- AMG Supercharger inlet, bored to 80mm and 3/8 CNC adapter plate mated up
- Gasket for TB
- Gasket for Supercharger inlet
- 4 bolts
- 80mm Y-pipe

There are only 2 of these AMG 80mm TB roaming around Germany right now. I need to know ASAP if anyone wants a kit because I need to put those 2 TBs on hold otherwise they may disappear.. There will be more arriving shortly, but for now there are only 2 I can buy immediately.

Please PM me if you want one and we can make the arrangements.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah baby....checking the forum on treo 700P in bed gets me in first. Whammo...2200 down on the table!!!! I'm in!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:55 AM

2004 E55
Thumbs up

VRUS:

Put me down for one!! - I'm in!!
Let me know what you need - I'll be happy to get it to you

This will match up perfectly to the CF airbox!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** 80mm AMG Throttle Body ***