Sponsored by:

W211 E55 news

Old 08-15-2002, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
Talking W211 E55 news

From another Forum.

Up to 368 kW/500 hp for the E-Class, S-Class and CL-Class!
- E 55 AMG: the most powerful Mercedes-Benz E-Class of all time
- S 55 AMG: high-performance Saloon with the character of a sports car
- CL 55 AMG: supreme power build from the elegant top Coupé model
- Exclusive top-of-the-line models deliver athletic performance
- AMG SPEEDSHIFT with Formula 1-style steering-wheel gearshift
- Full complement of equipment, including sumptuous leather upholstery and

AMG bodystyling
Affalterbach, Aug 15, 2002
An eight-cylinder supercharged engine and Formula 1-style gear changes at the touch of a button: the impressive combination offered by three new top models from Mercedes-AMG. The E 55 AMG, the S 55 AMG and the CL 55 AMG, with their powerful AMG engines, delivering up to 368 kW/500 hp, and with numerous high-tech innovations on board, set new standards in their respective market segments.
The supercharged AMG V8 engine, with its 5.5-litre displacement, develops a maximum output of 350 kW/476 hp (E 55 AMG) or 368 kW/500 hp (S 55 AMG and CL 55 AMG) and a maximum torque of 700 Newtonmetres. The new supercharged models deliver between 34 and 39 percent more output and 32 percent more torque than the previous models, which featured V8 naturally-aspirated engines. The result is performance worthy of a true sports car: the E 55 AMG sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in just 4.7 seconds, the S 55 AMG and CL 55 AMG in 4.8 seconds, and all share a top speed of 250 km/h (electronically governed).

All three AMG high-performance vehicles are due to appear in Mercedes-Benz sales and service outlets and dealerships in autumn 2002.
One man, one engine – AMG badge documents production process
The "one man, one engine" philosophy means that one engineer at the engine plant in Affalterbach takes responsibility for the entire assembly of each AMG high-performance engine – as evidenced by that mechanic's signature on a special engine badge, which, in the case of the AMG V8 supercharged engine, is located on the supercharger module.

AMG SPEEDSHIFT with Formula 1-style steering-wheel gearshift
In the three new AMG models with the V8 supercharged engine, the power is transmitted by a five-speed automatic transmission which incorporates the AMG SPEEDSHIFT function, adapting to both a sporty and a comfort-oriented driving style. In manual mode the gears can be changed at the touch of a button on the steering wheel as in a racing car. Further technological highlights include the optimum gear function and active engine-braking downshift, which, together with the mechanical lock-up of the torque converter from first gear, make for an extremely direct driving experience. The advantages of the AMG SPEEDSHIFT automatic transmission are rounded off by more spontaneous and up to 35 percent faster gear changes.

E 55 AMG: the most powerful Mercedes-Benz E-Class of all time
In the new E 55 AMG, Mercedes-AMG presents a worthy successor to the popular previous model. The E 55 AMG confidently positions itself at the forefront of all standard-specification sports saloons in its segment: the high-performance engine, familiar from the SL 55 AMG has an output of 350 kW/476 hp at 6100 rpm and develops a maximum torque of 700 Newtonmetres, which is available across a broad range between 2650 and 4500 rpm.
This tremendous power results in the four-door vehicle's extraordinary performance: the Mercedes-Benz E 55 AMG passes the 100 km/h mark after just 4.7 seconds, and reaches a speed of 200 km/h in 16.1 seconds. The top speed is 250 km/h (electronically governed). Despite its sporty character, the new AMG high-performance Saloon is very modest when it comes to fuel, with a consumption level of 12.9 litres per 100 kilometres in the NEDC combined cycle. The exhaust emissions are also pleasingly low: the E 55 AMG already complies with the EU4 limits, which are not due to come into force until 2005.
Motor racing expertise influences engine design
The technical highlights of the sophisticated AMG V8 supercharged engine include the mechanical supercharger, located between the cylinder banks, which places the 5.5-litre eight-cylinder engine under a maximum pressure of 0.9 bar. Integrated in the compact supercharger module is the charge-air cooler, which operates along the highly efficient lines of an air/water heat exchanger. Using AMG's wealth of experience in the field of motor racing, the interior of the engine has been given a totally new design: the crankcase, crankshaft and pistons have been reinforced, the cylinder heads and valve train have been optimised and a more powerful oil pump has been added.

AIRMATIC DC semi-active suspension with AMG-specific tuning
To ensure that the high engine output is delivered to the road effectively, the Mercedes-AMG engineers have redesigned the suspension and the braking system. In the E 55 AMG the progressive dynamic handling systems help set the sports Saloon apart from its current competitors. The air-sprung, semi-active AIRMATIC DC suspension with ADS II allows the driver to opt for a more comfortable or a very sporty ride. Damping and springing automatically adjust to the given situation in fractions of a second, and the required tuning can also be selected manually in three stages at the touch of a button. The spring struts, shock absorbers, torsion bars and the entire electronic suspension management have been specifically adapted to the high dynamic potential of the AMG model.
Experience gathered during over three decades in motorsport also served as a basis for the fully modified power transmission, with the steel rear axle and differential cooling, and for the braking system, with Sensotronic Brake Control, familiar from the SL 55 AMG: internally ventilated, perforated brake discs all-round, sized 360 x 36 millimetres at the front and 330 x 26 millimetres at the rear, ensure excellent deceleration of 10.8 m/s2 and practically no fading. Eight-piston fixed callipers at the front axle allow a brake pad surface which is almost twice as large as in the Mercedes-Benz E 500.

New AMG twin-spoke light-alloy wheels
Contact with the road is provided by size 245/40 ZR 18 (front) and 265/35 ZR 18 (rear) wide-base tyres, which are fitted on attractive AMG twin-spoke light-alloy wheels, eight inches wide at the front and nine inches wide at the rear. In addition to the AMG twin-spoke wheels, painted in sterling silver, striking side skirts from the AMG bodystyling package emphasise the elegant silhouette of the Saloon; the V8 KOMPRESSOR lettering on the front wings draws attention to the fact that this is the most powerful E-Class of all time. At the front the AMG front apron, with its large air intakes and clear-glass fog lamps, sets this exclusive sports Saloon apart from the rest, while a fitting finishing touch is provided at the rear by the AMG rear apron with integral, oval, chromed twin tailpipes, left and right.

Fine leather appointments in exclusive nappa/nubuck combination
The interior style of the new Mercedes-Benz E 55 AMG follows the lead set by the dynamic exterior: the AMG sports seats have powerful contouring, unique fluting and AMG badges in the backrests, and come in an exclusive nappa/nubuck leather combination. The leather, which also trims the door panels, is available in three different colour combinations. The three round instrument displays in the E 55 AMG are distinguished from those of the other E-Class models by new dials with the V8 KOMPRESSOR and AMG logos, and the speedometer gauge which extends to 320 km/h. Further AMG-specific interior elements include the AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel with racing car-style gearshift buttons, the fine wood trim in bird's-eye maple and the door sill panels with the AMG logo.
(company press release)

Last edited by Tezta; 08-15-2002 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350

Old 08-15-2002, 09:58 AM

CLK55, Mini S
Damn. I need a cold shower.

Now just a matter months and choosing the color. I think I want one of the metalic blacks -- opal, jade or obsidian. I know it is a pain to keep black cars nice, but I am sick of silver (no offense to any silver drivers, my CLK55 is silver). White is too flat for me. Maybe Tectite grey -- always liked that one.

Once again...damn!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:18 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Tezta!

Saw that on the other board and looks pretty amazing!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:40 AM

bmw 745i, ml55 AMG
hey that's nice...

now i have to decide, do i really want to wait till new m5 specs comes out....hmmmmmm this looks like a real rocket!!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally posted by JamE55
Hey Tezta!

Saw that on the other board and looks pretty amazing!
This car is so crazy, its a bargain too. I mean to have performance that in a sedan is uncanny, you'll blow by cars and leave even Ferrari and lambo owners dumbfounded. Plus you get all the new tech, interior treatment, Massive brakes, did you see those? Damn!! I need to put a deposit on one if the list isn't already ridiculously long.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:27 PM

bmw 745i, ml55 AMG
what is the other board link? iw ant to see it too!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:37 PM

'97 C 280, '06 ML350
Originally posted by hmrdwn
Damn. I need a cold shower.
you took the words right out of my mouth! what a beauty!
Old 08-15-2002, 01:08 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Did they release an expected sticker price on this new E55?
Old 08-15-2002, 04:39 PM
mnh
Almost a Member!

Talking

Hot damn - isn't that nice. I'm told I may have mine by the end of the year. Apparently have to spec in the next few weeks.

I would have preferred 19" wheels and may still get the three piece jobbies of the same basic design.

Really pleased that it gets the SL AMG steeering wheel - much more meaty and button shifts as well.

The interior looks great. Looks like the birds eye trim has a blue tinge - but I may be wrong. 320km/hr speedo with red pointers - very tasty.

Delimited to 250km/hr but apparently it can be spec'd without.

Better photos on germancarfans.com
Old 08-15-2002, 05:27 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by Tezta

This car is so crazy, its a bargain too. I mean to have performance that in a sedan is uncanny, you'll blow by cars and leave even Ferrari and lambo owners dumbfounded. Plus you get all the new tech, interior treatment, Massive brakes, did you see those? Damn!! I need to put a deposit on one if the list isn't already ridiculously long.
Start placing your deposit already and stop typing! LOL!
Old 08-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW Hartge 5
I wonder what will the 450hp Audi RS6 people has to say about the new 500hp E55
Old 08-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by JCM5
I wonder what will the 450hp Audi RS6 people has to say about the new 500hp E55
I'm sure they'll have something to counter this.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:48 PM
mnh
Almost a Member!

e55 is 476HP. Only the S & CL have 500HP, probaly to counter the extra weight. The torgue at 700 newton metres is the same (and huge).
I am told the e55 was significantly quicker in testing than the SL with the same motor. That is why the SL (and now the S and CL) went to 500HP. The E still is quicker (as well as being better handling) and the actual number is more like 4.4 - 4.5.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:10 PM
Out Of Control!

simply astonishing!
Old 08-16-2002, 01:07 AM

C-Class
yesterday we got a new "mercedes-internal" bochure about the E55 AMG to the MBZ dealership where i work. too bad, i have no scanner avalible. there are lot´s of really good pics, and this brochure is much more detailed than any customer-brochure. but will try to "lean to" one and try to scan some pictures by a nighbour or so.

btw.
the E55 AMG has 350kw (476 hp), 700nm torque and needs 4.7sec from 0-100km/h.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Woah the E55 has a boost of 0.9 bar. And it gets as much as the KLEEMANN at a 0.5 bar? What would happen if KLEEMANN ran a .9 on their E50K? 700bhp?
Old 08-16-2002, 04:27 AM
mnh
Almost a Member!

more big pics - great wallpaper
Old 08-16-2002, 11:00 AM

'01 CLK 55
As I've mentioned in the past; it won't take much to "find" the missing 24 horses.... I'm in on this one, baby!! From the thread I read on the unofficial BMW forum, this one's got them boys prayin' for V 10 salvation. I don't think that'll even help. With a paltry "500" normally aspirated, tough to modify horsepower, let alone the fact that the V8 is already an over weight pig and the V10 can't be any lighter, I speculate AMG will occupy the "Big dog" position until BMW goes the way of forced induction. One guy chimed in to say that upwards of 600 H.P. is possible with the MBZ "K" motors with little effort and relative expense. FUN!!!
Old 08-17-2002, 03:15 PM

"I wonder what will the 450hp Audi RS6 people has to say about the new 500hp E55....."

Current reports (Automobile Magazine, I believe it is) have the Audi RS6 running 0-100km/h in 4.6 seconds.
It's being advertised as the "world's fastest 4 door sedan".
The available reports on the 211E55 suggest it's right in that same range timewise.

Interestingly, the RS6 is supposed to priced at $85,000 USD.
Only 800-900 units to be delivered to United States.
M5's design engineers have their work cut out for them, as it is getting crowded atop the sport-lux sedan heap, where the M5 used to perch all by itself.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:23 PM

SLK 350 '05
I've read an article about the RS6 vs. Jaguar S-type vs. M5

No doubt, the Audi was the fastest of all in 0-60 times, but the magazine criticized its old chassis, and feel of the road. cornering was not as well as predicted and to them the car was more of a "surprise" not stated in good or bad way.

but since when did the jaguar S-type take the place of the E55? that really bothered me when reading that article..

at the end, they said the M5 is still king of sport luxury sedan. i believe E55 should be king and M5 to be queen
Old 08-18-2002, 07:16 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 Nissan 240SX
hehehehe...the M5 would be the E55's *****
Old 08-18-2002, 03:31 PM

The A6 line is about to be redesigned in the next year

Its going to have an aluminum body just like the A8 witch will drop a lot of weight. SO the RS6 will drop its 0-60 time too probably go to 4.3 or maybe 4.2 from 4.6 with no engine mods. Still though I think the E55K is the best all around looks, and performance. Though a V10 M-5 may give the E55K a run for its money
Old 08-18-2002, 05:25 PM

I had an Audi A8 in the late 90's, and while I believe Audi engineers a very fine car, with build quality (at least in the A8's) which exceeds both MB and BMW, there are several problems which seem to keep Audi buried in the second tier of German car manufacturers.

They are not for demanding driving enthusiasts (though I'll except the S4 in its class). Handling/cornering and all around road manners are inferior to MB and BMW.
Exterior designs are very bland and change at a glacial pace.
Interior designs always seem to be a few years behind what is current. Even the new, totally redesigned A8 (not yet released) has an interior design which looks almost the same as the current A8, which itself has not been changed in about 8 years.
Resale is abysmal.

On the other hand, their conservative styling alienates no one.
I saw that Car magazine just listed the new BMW 745 as one of the 10 UGLIEST cars in the world.

I'm not sure I'd bet on the RS6 dropping that much from its current 0-100 times. The aluminum space frame will help, yes, but it's hard to predict what else will change with the redesign.
Regardless, I'll bet it's a great stright line performer only. A one trick pony.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:07 PM

Agreed about the A8 was the only 4 wheel drive at the time up here in Colorado

For all season drivng its just fine. Spirited driving around the bends? Well thats not what I got it for New 2003 S500 4 Matic with every option on it on the way. For the turns and twists though i stick with the 02 360 F1 Spider

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W211 E55 news