Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 06 E350 Wagon
HP vs. Waranty

I need some help.
I want to upgrade the 06 that I have, I want the added HP and the 155 limit
removed.
I have read, from someone here, that certain ECU upgrades will retain the factory waranty.
My dealer tells me that if I make the modifications, any computer related problem would not be covered from the factory, even it was not related to the specific upgrade.
Is this correct?
I have a nice ride with every option available and do not want to make a mistake here.
Can anyboby help me with this problem?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by KEE55AMG
I need some help.
I want to upgrade the 06 that I have, I want the added HP and the 155 limit
removed.
I have read, from someone here, that certain ECU upgrades will retain the factory waranty.
My dealer tells me that if I make the modifications, any computer related problem would not be covered from the factory, even it was not related to the specific upgrade.
Is this correct?
I have a nice ride with every option available and do not want to make a mistake here.
Can anyboby help me with this problem?
Not just a computer related problem. If your engine blows up, because it overheats, runs too lean, detonates or whatever, and you have a modified ECU, you won't get a warranty either. Then its $40,000 just for parts!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 AM

Is the smart answer to the problem to wait a year, let any problems surface and get the use out of the waranty before modifying the vehicle?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Mercedes E55, 01 Porsche 996 Cabrio, 07 GMC Yukon
Make sure the tuner you use is close by & if you have a problem, have your ecu reflashed to stock & then get your warranty claim. Most reputable tuner companies stand behind their product; some are sold at MB dealers. Just pick a good one.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:45 AM

Is it that easy? Is there no mechanism in the computer to trace the activity? I will talk to the tuner that I have been refered to and see if this will work for me. If so, you have solved my problem.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Guys told me for a de-limit its a ghost program that is 100% un-detectable ... who knows really...?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Mercedes E55, 01 Porsche 996 Cabrio, 07 GMC Yukon
The companies say their reflashes are undetectable. If your tuner has a good relationship with a MB dealer, have them prove it to you.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Exclamation Mod Your New Car At Your Own Risk

Originally Posted by KEE55AMG
Is it that easy? Is there no mechanism in the computer to trace the activity? I will talk to the tuner that I have been refered to and see if this will work for me. If so, you have solved my problem.
I know that all cars are different but the basic principles are the same.
I recently had my son's MY06 WRX STI's ECU re-tuned by ECUTEK, the car's engine detonated after 3000 mi and neither the "reputable tuner" nor Subaru Australia wanted to have anything to do with any warranty. After 10 weeks off the road, three independent engineering assessments, waiting for parts and $9500 out of my pocket, I got my son's car back. If that had hapenned to an E55, it would have cost me 6 times as much. Oh, BTW, I had to buy a new ECU as well as Subaru would not accept any re-flashes to re-store my Factory Warranty. In addition, whilst the original car came with a 3-year warranty, the new engine fitted by the official Subaru dealer is treated as "retail sale" so it only gets a 2-year warranty- go figure that out!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Almost a Member!

think of it this way, if your engine blows up how will you take the car back to the speed shop to get it re flashed back to stock ??

leave it stock and save yourself LOTS of money
Old 05-19-2006, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Guys, this has been beat to death. The only "safe" mods are those done by dealers that are Kleemann, Renntech, etc. installers. Why? Because no one I know of has been asked to sign anything that states their factory warranty is now void because of the (insert mfg.) upgrades they did to your car. There's no way they are going to get out of warranting a car that they themselves have modified. They wouldn't even try to battle you in court unless they had such a signed statement. They can tell you a hundred times over that you're on your own, no warranty, blah, blah, but if you do not sign anything to that effect, they have, essentially, "bought the farm". I wouldn't want to be the one to test this, but I have ran it by an attorney familiar with these types of cases.