W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get the garage floor done

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to get the garage floor done

Anyone use Home Depots garage floor installation....they use Rust Oleums Epoxy Shield....

Any other ideas?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:35 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by relisysj4
Anyone use Home Depots garage floor installation....they use Rust Oleums Epoxy Shield....

Any other ideas?
i've used the epoxy shield,make sure you "etch" the concrete w/muriatic acid also.i didn't and have had it come back up in the same spots where the tires sit twice now.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:57 PM

2010 ML350 bluetec
Penny wise pound foolish, you get what you pay for.

I don't think the retail products will live up to what we hope the product should do.

I did the concrete etching on our garage and the the paint/epoxy peeled. My dad is **** when doing things in detail. He did it completely step by step on their garage, following all recomdations for preparing the concrete. Same bad end result. Looked great for a few months. One winter and it already doesn't hold up.

I think you just got to pay up and let a pro do it with a professional grade product.

I am taking possession of a new house end of this year, and I definately will not do it myself again with anything Home Depot sells.

With the winters, road salt, sand, etc being brought in by the cars and being ground into the epoxy with the weight of the tires/car on top, I think it really was too much to expect a retail product to hold up.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:34 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by loungeliz
Penny wise pound foolish, you get what you pay for.

I don't think the retail products will live up to what we hope the product should do.

I did the concrete etching on our garage and the the paint/epoxy peeled. My dad is **** when doing things in detail. He did it completely step by step on their garage, following all recomdations for preparing the concrete. Same bad end result. Looked great for a few months. One winter and it already doesn't hold up.

I think you just got to pay up and let a pro do it with a professional grade product.

I am taking possession of a new house end of this year, and I definately will not do it myself again with anything Home Depot sells.

With the winters, road salt, sand, etc being brought in by the cars and being ground into the epoxy with the weight of the tires/car on top, I think it really was too much to expect a retail product to hold up.
well said,after having someone do it for me w/epoxy shield and myself re-doing it i should have just paid the $800 to have it done professionally with commercial grade epoxy.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Tiles to me are the best Long Term bet although cost more upfront...
Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
I used the Home Depot 2-part epoxy kit - it worked well for me. Its durable and looks as good as when I first did it in December of 04 (17 months ago). It has lost a slihgt amount of gloss from the multiple cleanings but it has not lifted anywhere.

I followed the instructions religiously - I prepped teh floor well - took the whole Satuday to do it, and then painted on Sunday - project took two whole days to complete - but then I am pretty thorough.

I have used a variety of cleaners on it - some are very aggressive, and it still looks brand new. I have welded in the grage, used it to build cabinets, you name it.

My only regret is that the floor is not 100% flat. Condensation from our car's AC units puddle in a few places and discolors. I then have to clean it once a week.

Here are some pics taken when it was completed in '04.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Originally Posted by siswati
I used the Home Depot 2-part epoxy kit - it worked well for me. Its durable and looks as good as when I first did it in December of 04 (17 months ago). It has lost a slihgt amount of gloss from the multiple cleanings but it has not lifted anywhere.

I followed the instructions religiously - I prepped teh floor well - took the whole Satuday to do it, and then painted on Sunday - project took two whole days to complete - but then I am pretty thorough.

I have used a variety of cleaners on it - some are very aggressive, and it still looks brand new. I have welded in the grage, used it to build cabinets, you name it.

My only regret is that the floor is not 100% flat. Condensation from our car's AC units puddle in a few places and discolors. I then have to clean it once a week.

That is one kick *** shop!!! Wow, this thread was sooo timely, I purchased the Behr brand originally, supposed epoxy, I etched and went through the instructions with very, very poor results.

My next project, regretfully so, is to remove the paint in the vehicle area, mask it off and and start again. This time with a two-part epoxy.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Siswati...have you parked a recently driven vehicle, read - hot tires, and parked on the surface? Mine held up fine until you parked a hot tire on it, then off she went....my hawg will even lift it if it sits in any particular spot for too long.

Anyone use this product??? http://www.ucoatit.com/

Last edited by StapleGun; 05-26-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Hey guys if you have an uneven floor I strongly recomend a self leveling cement, it costs more but it worth every dollar and it's easy to apply just pour and it finds it's own level.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Originally Posted by RobertG
Hey guys if you have an uneven floor I strongly recomend a self leveling cement, it costs more but it worth every dollar and it's easy to apply just pour and it finds it's own level.
How does that stuff work? Is it just a really thin mix that levels like a liquid would? That stuff sounds kinda neat!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

things with and without wheels
yes it's very liquidy, just find your low spots and pour to fill them in and it dries quick too
Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
i have never heard of it, but am interested to check it out
Old 05-26-2006, 09:28 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
I looked into coatings and tiles, neither really seemed like a good solution. The coatings will eventually start to lift and are pretty slipppery when wet, an important consideration in the Seattle area. I didn't like the look of tiles with all the seams and the water dripping off your car after a substantial Seattle rain will get under the tiles eventually, causing concrete problems.

Then I found this roll out matting with the raised coin pattern. 3 pieces will do my entire 3 car garage for about $1000. You can find more info here
http://americangaragefloor.com/diamo...oring_suv1.jpg
Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 AM

2005 e55
Angry

Originally Posted by StapleGun
Siswati...have you parked a recently driven vehicle, read - hot tires, and parked on the surface? Mine held up fine until you parked a hot tire on it, then off she went....my hawg will even lift it if it sits in any particular spot for too long.

Anyone use this product??? http://www.ucoatit.com/
my surface lifted in the same places where 4,000lb + vehicles had sat,don't know if the extra weight matters but on the other side my lighter vehicle never had issues w/floor.i even rented a floor sander and sanded the sh..? out of it in those areas where it had lifted,didn't help at all.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:00 AM

I was thinking about getting tiles or a mat however during heavy rain sometimes pressure builds under the garage and i get little leaks from cracks.....dont know how that would effect the tiles or mat
Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
I have often parked my cars with the tires still smoking. Not one area has lifted. I attribute this to the full 8 hours of preparation.

I did as follows
1. Commercial Degreaser - scrubbed with stiff bristle broom
Rinse and scrub with broom
rinse
2. Acid Ecthing with Pool Acid (wear breathing apparatus)
scrubbed with stiff bristle broom
rinse
dry
repeat

One day later I applied the epoxy - because of the size of the garage it took two complete kits. Did one half of the garage first. Then second half. Used a customized sieve to sprinkle the chips to get the application smooth across the entire garage.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:16 AM

2014 GL 350 on order
All: used the EpoxysShield product on my floor and have been happy with it-its ALL about prep before you paint!! Join Sams club and go to garage organization section and read @ Supercoat Super kits. Made by Cass Polymer and costs 100.00 on their site but is only 63.00 on Sams site. Im using it this weekend on my new barn that covers 2500 sf of floor area. Used epoxy shild on my other barn and garage and have beeen happy except for my goof of poor prep in one area. To have this done commercially would cost @ 3 to 5000 bucks!! The labor is the killer-Joker
Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by siswati

That looks beautiful!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by relisysj4

Any other ideas?
I Would Recommend HEAVY DUTY Floor Tiles
The Epoxy Paint WILL Chip...Been There done that. Its Not IF it WILL Chip..But When..Drop a Tool on the floor..Or Place a Jack stand on it. Like in the Pic a Motorcycle kickstand with the Rag on the floor to prevent any marks
The Epoxy looks Great (IF) you do NOT plan on working in the Garage
Plus IF You damage a Floor with Tile..One Just replaces the damaged tile..NOT repaint the floor
Old 05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
ON PROBATION

Ucoatit works very well.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S6 LP640 E500
I will never use epoxy paint again, it does not work well over long period of time. My next home I will stain then seal the concrete like the photos below,
Attached Thumbnails Looking to get the garage floor done-dsc_0111.jpg   Looking to get the garage floor done-dsc_0284.jpg  
Old 05-26-2006, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
damn that trans am is badass...so are the other three
Old 05-27-2006, 10:19 AM

I used the floor tiles from Griot's garage. Don't really like them that much. They deform when under load from a jack and actually make it quite unsteady. Also a pain to clean or mop since water gets under them.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63S
How much is the Home Depot product installed by them in a 2 car garage?
Old 05-28-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
I Would Recommend HEAVY DUTY Floor Tiles
The Epoxy Paint WILL Chip...Been There done that. Its Not IF it WILL Chip..But When..Drop a Tool on the floor..Or Place a Jack stand on it. Like in the Pic a Motorcycle kickstand with the Rag on the floor to prevent any marks
The Epoxy looks Great (IF) you do NOT plan on working in the Garage
Plus IF You damage a Floor with Tile..One Just replaces the damaged tile..NOT repaint the floor
Hi Mark
I am sure you had a bad experience with your epoxy floor - but in my case this is the third one I have done (yeah I am an old fart) and in each case I have had no chipping at all - And I do more work in my garage than most. I have built steel trailers, convereted a Sprinter Van, and TONS of wood work. I use lots of heavy tools that are stored in the adjoining storeroom - I wheel them out and use them in the garage. I have had no chipping or lifting. NONE. Of course I try not to drop heavy tools but it does happen.

I am not saying that epoxy floors are great, but they are a very durable and cost effective option - note that the sponge under the Harley Kickstand in the photos I posted above is ONLY because that is the same day I did the floor and I did not want to leave the bike outdoors - so I put a pad under the kickstand while the epoxy was curing. I only brought the cars in once the floor had cured for 24 hours.

I have also used vinyl glue-down tiles on several of my garage floors - here in Florida they are a no-no as water will DEFINITELY get under them - in fact I have had more than 6 inches of water in my garage before (damn these hurricanes), and that is guaranteed to get under the tiles.

There are many great flooring options out there, including the stunning polished concrete floor posted above - epoxy is just one of them, and if done well will give you man years of excellent service without lifting or chipping.

If you follow my sig above you will see my Sprinter Mods underway - some pics here to show that I do in fact do some Heavy Duty work in the garage.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Looking to get the garage floor done