W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ITG Profilter Air Filters

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hey Rob,

I got the right ones.. I bought the ones you had reserved for me at that local supplier you found.. They should be exactly the same as yours..

Mine definitely have "play" in them.. If I wiggle them around enough, I can get them to fall into the bottom airbox.

Maybe the 2003 E55 have slightly larger airboxes??? When I get my car back, I will measure the inside dimensions of my airbox and maybe we can compare them?

Originally Posted by L8Apex
I did not notice any big movement on mine. It could be the smaller boxes on the my 05. Who knows?

Do you have the wrong part #WB-539 or 7 (S not E class)?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Thanks Victor will get BCM or Green one which ever will be availiblke at the time...
Old 07-11-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by vrus
Hey Rob,

I got the right ones.. I bought the ones you had reserved for me at that local supplier you found.. They should be exactly the same as yours..

Mine definitely have "play" in them.. If I wiggle them around enough, I can get them to fall into the bottom airbox.

Maybe the 2003 E55 have slightly larger airboxes??? When I get my car back, I will measure the inside dimensions of my airbox and maybe we can compare them?
I can tell you that '04 vs '05 are different sizes based on a snafu with the K&Ns that I had so you have to be real careful
Old 09-02-2006, 02:54 AM

05E55
victor,

I was a little bored tonight and decided to check on the filters. I'm happy to report no issues. The airbox is clean with no oil residue. I also measured my boxes (05) the dimensions are : Outside Length: 13.75 in Outside Width: 5.2 in. snug fit.

Have you had a chance to re-dyno these things yet on a cool motor? I really can't notice any gains except for quicker throttle response. But the motor is definitely rev happy.

When comparing the Mann (OEM) AMG filters with those for an e500 (neighbors old filter) The fold count is +10 on the AMG version. I would assume that the stock filters are pretty damn good for both filtration (larger surface area) and flow.

In regards to your modified air box, I spent some time looking for areas of opportunity for improvement. If you are going to leave the bottoms of the box alone (which I find "restrictive" due to the low profile between the bottom of the filter to the bottom of the box) you might want to consider raising the filter a tad higher to allow more air under the filter itself. Maybe a 1/4 inch spacer under the outer rim of the filter with a bubble type upper box. Just a thought.

Last edited by L8Apex; 09-02-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Rob,

I had to send back the ITG airfilters and have been waiting for their hand made versions which are bigger.

Your airfilter dimensions of 13.75 x 5.2 are 349mm x 132mm.. That proves the newer cars have a smaller opening.. My boxes are 355mm x 135mm.

I didnt redyno because when I discovered they collapsed into the bottom of the boxes, I pulled them out and put the BMC filters back in.

I should have the hand made filters in a week or two.

The stock airfilters have a very low lying filter element which blocks a good portion of the airflow. These aftermarket filters are a flat design so they already improve on that issue. The big problem with lifting the airfilter higher inside the box is the fact that the top portion of the box is a compression fit over the bottom. If you raised the height of the filter, the top box would not fit down all the way and the screw holes would not make contact to the bottom section.

Originally Posted by L8Apex
victor,

I was a little bored tonight and decided to check on the filters. I'm happy to report no issues. The airbox is clean with no oil residue. I also measured my boxes (05) the dimensions are : Outside Length: 13.75 in Outside Width: 5.2 in. snug fit.

Have you had a chance to re-dyno these things yet on a cool motor? I really can't notice any gains except for quicker throttle response. But the motor is definitely rev happy.

When comparing the Mann (OEM) AMG filters with those for an e500 (neighbors old filter) The fold count is +10 on the AMG version. I would assume that the stock filters are pretty damn good for both filtration (larger surface area) and flow.

In regards to your modified air box, I spent some time looking for areas of opportunity for improvement. If you are going to leave the bottoms of the box alone (which I find "restrictive" due to the low profile between the bottom of the filter to the bottom of the box) you might want to consider raising the filter a tad higher to allow more air under the filter itself. Maybe a 1/4 inch spacer under the outer rim of the filter with a bubble type upper box. Just a thought.