W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Black Plastic Cover or Removed / Car Color?
Black Plastic Cover
54.90%
Removed / Car Color
35.29%
Can't decide!
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?

In case any of you missed it, some of us more naive E55r's didn't know that the big ol' black piece of plastic between our exhaust pipes was removable... merely cheap cover material plastered on the car with 2 sided tape. Thanks RBC55 for pointing this out. As carbon fiber rear air diffusers are discussed more, I think its important everyone know you have another free alternative in case you weren't aware: The actual color of your car:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/151207-cf-rear-diffuser.html

Underneath that few mm thick piece of black plastic is the beautiful color of our car! If your car is newer, the piece probably comes off easier than those who've had it for a while (me... dozens of little pieces). See the other post for removal discussion.

I'm really curious to see it off of other colors here on the board. But for now, let's see what the vote looks like... Which do you prefer?

Original black plastic or the Color of your Car?

Loren

Removed / Car Color:

Original Black Plastic:

Last edited by FlyByNight; 06-09-2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
You sir, are the man!
I've always hated that black bit. It makes the rear look too wide with no depth. I was going to get it painted - now it just comes off.

Thanks again
Old 06-09-2006, 05:17 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by OzE55
You sir, are the man!
I've always hated that black bit. It makes the rear look too wide with no depth. I was going to get it painted - now it just comes off.

Thanks again

Yeah, I bet there are a lot of people out there that didn't know and will like this new option. Just be careful taking it off and read the other thread... I have several cuts in my hand as the plastic had hardened over the last year and change... brittle and kept breaking as I pulled it slowly off. RBC55 said his came off in one piece when his was new. So, its like that sticker you peel off the beer... it either comes off easy without too much fuss, or you spend hours doing it bit by bit as it tears. That's exactly what I went through... well worth it though...

Loren
Old 06-09-2006, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by OzE55
You sir, are the man!

Thanks again
And now it looks just like my E500 with AMG styling used to, ecxept for the twin pipes...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Imho its a must on any E55...

Doesnt matter if E500 AMG has it painted...Looks much better the black plastic...
Old 06-09-2006, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
I've gotta disagree. I actually think that the black diffuser makes the bumper look good and more sporty. Although I'd prefer to have it in carbon fiber.

Last edited by dragonAMG; 06-09-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 PM

05 E55

(finally, I get to use this dude)
Old 06-09-2006, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Imho looks a lot better without the cheap plastic piece. I can't believe it's just held on by adhesive.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 PM

'06 SL600
This is going to sound completely petty, but can you try to snap another pic of the silver at the same angle as the black? I think I like the black as it makes the "butt" look a little sleaker, but the extra silver might just look bigger in the pic with the piece removed because of the angle of the pic. Also, I think the black gives a little more contrast so the pipes stand out (which is one of my favorite exterior features of the car)..

~~~~~~~~~~

Oops. IGNORE my request for pics. I found your additional pics on the other thread. Thanks!

Last edited by metalica_23; 06-09-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 PM

'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
This is just another reason why I like this forum sooo much! I hate that piece, I detest that piece, and to know that I could have just pulled that sh*t off months ago!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Black looks sportier...i like it! But i agree with Josh, carbon fiber would look SICK!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I painted my diffuser about a year ago and I'm starting to regret doing it. As much as it brings together the colors of the rear of the car, you kind of NEED to have that black piece to balance and it out. Now I think there is way too much silver in the rear and some contrast would slim it out. My rear end is starting to look sort of fat . Carbon fiber I think would be perfect, especially if it were balanced out by a nice carbon fiber Brabus front lip spoiler. Thats lots of $$, though.

If you guys do decide to get your diffusers painted, be SURE to have them sanded smooth first. When mine was originally done it was not sanded and it looked terrriibblleee. I took it back to be sanded and re-painted that day.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Keep the black mole.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:01 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
This is just another reason why I like this forum sooo much! I hate that piece, I detest that piece, and to know that I could have just pulled that sh*t off months ago!
I TOTALLY agree. And for you naysayers... while I completely understand your taste and comments, I think if you actually held the black cover in your hands after you removed it, you might puke with disgust realizing that possibly the cheapest grade thin asphalt-like flimsy piece of plastic known to man was ever even on your car to begin with. Its maybe as thick as a penny, and so crummy I was pissed. Literally, its the same stuff as your radiator fan shroud, with a little fake texture added in...

If anything, I'm guessing they maybe put it on to protect the paint in the rear... rock chips, debris - scratching because the Beast spits up so much terrain?... I don't know... but that would make more sense than it being someone's idea of a quality piece of material and / or quality sporty look. Its right up there with mud flaps in my book, and has no business on a benz. Geez... at least make it out of nicer plastic. Milk cartons are made with better plastic!

If anything, take it off and PAINT that area a nice black is my feeling…

YUCK!!!!!

Loren

Here are more accurate, less rushed pics... before, after, closeup of the actual plastic after its peeled off, etc...

Wish I didn't have to downsize these pics so much... the 8.1 megapixel originals display so much more detail...

Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-1b.jpg

Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-2b.jpg

Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-3b.jpg

Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-4b.jpg

Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-3pieces.jpg
Old 06-09-2006, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Loren
I TOTALLY agree. And for you naysayers... while I completely understand your taste and comments, I think if you actually held the black cover in your hands after you removed it, you might puke with disgust realizing that possibly the cheapest grade thin asphalt-like flimsy piece of plastic known to man was ever even on your car to begin with. Its maybe as thick as a penny, and so crummy I was pissed. Literally, its the same stuff as your radiator fan shroud, with a little fake texture added in...

If anything, I'm guessing they maybe put it on to protect the paint in the rear... rock chips, debris - scratching because the Beast spits up so much terrain?... I don't know... but that would make more sense than it being someone's idea of a quality piece of material and / or quality sporty look. Its right up there with mud flaps in my book, and has no business on a benz. Geez... at least make it out of nicer plastic. Milk cartons are made with better plastic!

YUCK!!!!!

Loren

Here are more accurate, less rushed pics... before, after, closeup of the actual plastic after its peeled off, etc...

Wish I didn't have to downsize these pics so much... the 8.1 megapixel originals display so much more detail...

Attachment 83419

Attachment 83420

Attachment 83421

Attachment 83422

Attachment 83423

Loren-
I'm confused. I had my diffuser sanded and painted and it looks exactly like these pictures. If I had simply ripped mine off there would be an indentation where the diffuser used to be (ie. where the silver part is). It appears that you still have a diffuser...just a painted one.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-untitled-1-copy.jpg   Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-untitled-2-copy.jpg   Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-untitled-3-copy.jpg   Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?-untitled-4-copy.jpg  
Old 06-09-2006, 09:05 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
Loren-
I'm confused. I had my diffuser sanded and painted and it looks exactly like these pictures. If I had simply ripped mine off there would be an indentation where the diffuser used to be (ie. where the silver part is). It appears that you still have a diffuser...just a painted one.
Yikes, I hate to tell you this... but it looks like you sanded and painted a 2mm piece of plastic that is merely covering a perfectly wonderful painted area underneath it. The plastic is so thin, when you take it off the amount of indentation is virutally the same as before... look at your pic and my pic.

Mine is nothing more than removing the plastic, that's it.. there is no diffuser or anything added... All E55s are like this... thus my shock. Yours looks sweet, so don't so this... but if you walked out there right now you could pull of what you had painted and you'd have exactly what you have now pretty much... exactly what you see in my picture...

Crazy, eh?

Loren
Old 06-09-2006, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Loren-
It's because the diffuser has a lip and it goes into an indentation. It's more like a cover instead of a thick piece. That's why his car looks the same even though he pulled his off and you painted yours; and this is the reason why I was wondering why you just didn't pull off the black piece instead of painting.

And in regards to my carbon fiber diffuser...... it took a really really long time to get from the guy who made it. I think I waited a year to get it. He is super slooooooooow. I don't know why he takes so long. He works mostly on Porsches, and I guess this piece wasn't one of his priorities. It was worth the wait for me since it's a rare thing to see on E55's.

Last edited by t-bone; 06-09-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:22 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Loren

YUCK!!!!!

Loren

Attachment 83419

Attachment 83420

Attachment 83421

Attachment 83422

Attachment 83423
i think your first set of pics looked much better than the latter ones.the angle of the latter ones looking upward don't do the new look justice.i personally never had as much of a problem with the black plastic piece from a directly behind the car perspective.however,from the side angle view of the piece i couldn't stand it.that angle seemed to accentuate the cheapness of the material and application, seemed pointless.of course that's just my opinion
Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by rbc55
i think your first set of pics looked much better than the latter ones.the angle of the latter ones looking upward don't do the new look justice.i personally never had as much of a problem with the black plastic piece from a directly behind the car perspective.however,from the side angle view of the piece i couldn't stand it.that angle seemed to accentuate the cheapness of the material and application, seemed pointless.of course that's just my opinion

Yeah, I was trying to offer an alternative angle looking upwards so people could see how large the piece is... and yes, pics don't do it justice.

Actually, I parked next to a E350 at a hospital today, and as I was returning to the lot, from a good 30 yards away, the full effect of the silver underneath was amazingly different than the black I'm accustomed to. Guess pics don't do it justice. Again, thanks for this revelation... I'm happy to be rid of that thing... and my car is lighter now by at least 2 ounces! Watch out trap speed!

Loren
Old 06-10-2006, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by t-bone
It's because the diffuser has a lip and it goes into an indentation. It's more like a cover instead of a thick piece. That's why his car looks the same even though he pulled his off and you painted yours; and this is the reason why I was wondering why you just didn't pull off the black piece instead of painting.

And in regards to my carbon fiber diffuser...... it took a really really long time to get from the guy who made it. I think I waited a year to get it. He is super slooooooooow. I don't know why he takes so long. He works mostly on Porsches, and I guess this piece wasn't one of his priorities. It was worth the wait for me since it's a rare thing to see on E55's.
Hey T-bone, sort of off topic but is it possible that I've seen you driving around on Sunset Blvd. a couple of times between the Westwood and Beverly Hills areas? There is a Tectite E55 that I occasionally see cruising around with a lip spoiler and a Renntech badge...beautiful car. I believe it has matching HRE's. That you?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Hey T-bone, sort of off topic but is it possible that I've seen you driving around on Sunset Blvd. a couple of times between the Westwood and Beverly Hills areas? There is a Tectite E55 that I occasionally see cruising around with a lip spoiler and a Renntech badge...beautiful car. I believe it has matching HRE's. That you?
Nope not me. I don't have a Renntech badge on my car.

I also got rid of my AVUS wheels, so I'm back to stock ones for now.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

W221
FWIW I personally like the black on the back. It gives some contrast from the silver and the chrome pipes...just my 2 cents...
Old 06-10-2006, 06:44 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
FWIW I personally like the black on the back. It gives some contrast from the silver and the chrome pipes...just my 2 cents...
are you putting your factory rear apron back on then?or are you going to paint the aftermarket one with a black strip?
Old 06-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by rbc55
are you putting your factory rear apron back on then?or are you going to paint the aftermarket one with a black strip?
I have gone back to the AMG front and rears for quite some time now. I have just the wald sides and the rear decklid spoiler. I was jus saying that I like the look of the black on the AMG bumper. If I still had the WALD rear end I would have kept it as is...
Old 06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Benzo - if you every want to sell your rear decklid, I'm all over it ... let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Air Diffuser Vote: Black plastic or body color?