CF Rear Diffuser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
CF Rear Diffuser

So are there any new updates on this? I would love to add a CF rear diffuser to my E55.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Been wondering the same thing. I found one on E-bay for $400.00. It seemed pretty steep for a piece of CF that sticks over the stock diffuser. After I looked over my car, I think that might be the only way to go however. It doesn't look like that part separates from the bumper, so it might have to be some type of cover over the stock piece, not a replacement of the existing diffuser. I thought $400.00 was too much for that?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:33 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Fast55
Been wondering the same thing. I found one on E-bay for $400.00. It seemed pretty steep for a piece of CF that sticks over the stock diffuser. After I looked over my car, I think that might be the only way to go however. It doesn't look like that part separates from the bumper, so it might have to be some type of cover over the stock piece, not a replacement of the existing diffuser. I thought $400.00 was too much for that?
the black plastic piece or diffuser is actually just stuck on the rear apron w/double sided tape.i have a silver car and didn't like the look of the black plastic ,so i just found the edge of the plastic and peeled it right off;don't be alarmed the paint won't come off.then i used mineral spirits to remove any residual tape.looks much cleaner now than with it.IMO.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Post a pic RBC !
Old 06-07-2006, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes pics pls. Didn't this leave a big void??? Am I missing something? If it separates from the bumper, won't it be tough to impossible to re-attach it?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 PM

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/126692-carbon-fiber-rear-bumper.html
Old 06-07-2006, 07:34 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Fast55
Yes pics pls. Didn't this leave a big void??? Am I missing something? If it separates from the bumper, won't it be tough to impossible to re-attach it?
sorry, don't have a camera handy.also i've never posted a picture, not sure how to.anyways,there is no void when you remove the plastic strip ;it looks the same except you see the color of the paint of your car versus a black plastic finish.as far as re-attaching it i don't know because i threw mine away,but i'm sure you would use double sided tape as the factory did

Last edited by rbc55; 06-07-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Still haven't heard of anyone else who actually got one. If there are fabricators in the O.C. or L.A. area that are willing to make these, post it up guys. I'm sure there's plenty of interest. I will pay good money for a nice part. Didn't think it too wise to just snag one from E-Bay sight unseen for $400.00, especially when it sounds as if the right way to do this mod is to replace the whole factory part.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 PM

E55
IM in OC and could have them made for you guys.........shoot me some Pms and ill see what i can do
Old 06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Dang I am really curious to see this car without the cheesy black plastic piece....on a silver car it looks like crap...
Old 06-08-2006, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by vader
Dang I am really curious to see this car without the cheesy black plastic piece....on a silver car it looks like crap...
yeah, I'm bored... I may go yank mine off now... brb...

Loren
Old 06-08-2006, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Maybe we can get Neal w/ EuroTeck to make these for us?
Old 06-08-2006, 05:51 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by rbc55
the black plastic piece or diffuser is actually just stuck on the rear apron w/double sided tape.i have a silver car and didn't like the look of the black plastic ,so i just found the edge of the plastic and peeled it right off;don't be alarmed the paint won't come off.then i used mineral spirits to remove any residual tape.looks much cleaner now than with it.IMO.
Oh my God, THANKS! I mean, its obvious when you sit down and start to pick at it, but I never thought it was just crap black plastic stuck on to our bumpers with double sided tape!

I took it off and it looks SOOOO much better!

Unlike you, though, it took a good hour of peeling and pulling and tugging, and having sharp plastic shards scratch my hand. Advice to others: avoid any sort of tool no matter how tempting... you will scratch the car. I did it twice, then resorted to good old pushing and pulling and cutting my hand. That black piece of plastic ends up as a couple dozen individual and broken pieces. My theory is that if you've had your car a while... a year and change in my case... the plastic gets vey brittle. Because wow, no way it came right off!!! What a pain in the rear, let me tell you! Adhesive remover got rid of the tape left behind... and here you have it.

Also, I needed both hands and put my legs into it to pull on some of these pieces... the whole car moved. That said, there are two clips that brace the center areas of the bumper cover to the car ... look just underneath the bumper and you'll see them... long arms with a square tips that slide together. Slide them towards the center of the car and unlatch them. NOw the bumper cover you're working on can really move around. You should do this before anything because I promise you when you tug you're going to unlatch them / maybe break them anyway. They can't handle the stretching. So release them first. Then merely hook them up again when you're done. I found this all out the hard way when one suddenly popped and I thought I had broken something. It just slid out, lucky...

Like a swan... who knew such beauty was under that piece o' crap plastic. Man, some of your rides will look sic with this off... white, techtite, blue...

Thanks for the tip... this is right up there with the 99 cent lowering job... can't beat the money.

Carbon what? I'm find continuing my silver theme... I'll post pics in the am when the light is out...

Loren
Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
OK Loren....are you finished with your coffee ? Lets see it. I started looking at it last night trying to visualize it....
Old 06-08-2006, 09:14 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Loren
Oh my God, THANKS! I mean, its obvious when you sit down and start to pick at it, but I never thought it was just crap black plastic stuck on to our bumpers with double sided tape!

I took it off and it looks SOOOO much better!

Unlike you, though, it took a good hour of peeling and pulling and tugging, and having sharp plastic shards scratch my hand. Advice to others: avoid any sort of tool no matter how tempting... you will scratch the car. I did it twice, then resorted to good old pushing and pulling and cutting my hand. That black piece of plastic ends up as a couple dozen individual and broken pieces. My theory is that if you've had your car a while... a year and change in my case... the plastic gets vey brittle. Because wow, no way it came right off!!! What a pain in the rear, let me tell you! Adhesive remover got rid of the tape left behind... and here you have it.

Also, I needed both hands and put my legs into it to pull on some of these pieces... the whole car moved. That said, there are two clips that brace the center areas of the bumper cover to the car ... look just underneath the bumper and you'll see them... long arms with a square tips that slide together. Slide them towards the center of the car and unlatch them. NOw the bumper cover you're working on can really move around. You should do this before anything because I promise you when you tug you're going to unlatch them / maybe break them anyway. They can't handle the stretching. So release them first. Then merely hook them up again when you're done. I found this all out the hard way when one suddenly popped and I thought I had broken something. It just slid out, lucky...

Like a swan... who knew such beauty was under that piece o' crap plastic. Man, some of your rides will look sic with this off... white, techtite, blue...

Thanks for the tip... this is right up there with the 99 cent lowering job... can't beat the money.

Carbon what? I'm find continuing my silver theme... I'll post pics in the am when the light is out...

Loren
initially i had decided to have it painted,when i was at the bodyshop talking to them about painting it;i noticed the edge of the plastic on the far bottom corner and started picking, before i knew it it started to peel back.i peeled enough back to get both my hands around the plastic and using my legs and bodyweight pulled it off in one piece.my car at this time had been built only two months prior,guess it made it much easier.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:18 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by vader
i got the idea of having it the same color from seeing an e500 w/amg package,the rear apron is a little different but is the same color as the rest of the car.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Careful heat gun application could make the older ones easier to get off....can't wait to see it.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
picture of it removed please??
Old 06-08-2006, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
I am going to paint my into same color as the car...woulds llok so much better IMHO...

But if someone makes the rear diffusior for E55 as in the 1st picture at resonable price then I am first in the line...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
I am going to paint my into same color as the car...woulds llok so much better IMHO...

But if someone makes the rear diffusior for E55 as in the 1st picture at resonable price then I am first in the line...
why waste your money?it will look worse having a piece of plastic painted rather than removing it and having the factory paint hidden beneath the plastic showing,not to mention the plastic is a rough finish and painting it will probably cause you problems down the road.:
Old 06-08-2006, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I can't believe that none of the tuners (brabus, renntech, kleemann, etc..) have come out with one yet.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Received 521 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Call me crazy but I don't think the factory piece looks bad. I think you guys are involved with staring at your E55's for prolonged amounts of time and like anything beautiful, you can begin to find faults if you scrutinize for long enough.

For example, I once stared at this picture for approximately 3hrs. and then I came to the brilliant conclusion that she needs to fix the mole under her left breast.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Rock
Call me crazy but I don't think the factory piece looks bad. I think you guys are involved with staring at your E55's for prolonged amounts of time and like anything beautiful, you can begin to find faults if you scrutinize for long enough.

For example, I once stared at this picture for approximately 3hrs. and then I came to the brilliant conclusion that she needs to fix the mole under her left breast.

Hmmmm, i see.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:57 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by rbc55
initially i had decided to have it painted,when i was at the bodyshop talking to them about painting it;i noticed the edge of the plastic on the far bottom corner and started picking, before i knew it it started to peel back.i peeled enough back to get both my hands around the plastic and using my legs and bodyweight pulled it off in one piece.my car at this time had been built only two months prior,guess it made it much easier.
that explains it... mine was cracking, sharp, and nasty! I'll post a pic in a bit...

Loren
Old 06-08-2006, 01:20 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Rock

Not that I mind you being critical of my wife, but that's an old picture and she did have it removed.

As for the car, well, a picture is worth...

Mind you, this is NOTHING more than removing the plastic... you'll find the best paint on your car underneath, covered all this time...

RBC55, you're da man! What a great find. You may have just killed the future cf rear diffuser market on our cars. I've been thinking of painting silver there for ages.... imagine my surprise with your post...

Loren

CF Rear Diffuser-1.jpg

CF Rear Diffuser-2.jpg

CF Rear Diffuser-3.jpg

And before:

CF Rear Diffuser-4.jpg

Last edited by FlyByNight; 06-08-2006 at 01:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CF Rear Diffuser