Sponsored by:

purchasing a buyback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63,03 c4s,01 tahoe, 00 RL
purchasing a buyback

Does anyone have an opinion regarding purchasing an E55 that is titled a buyback? My understanding the car in question had issues regarding the alarm and radio that were resolved, and continues to have the remaining warranty.
tx
Old 06-09-2006, 02:53 PM
JDM

2011 C300
can you see at the actual records? Any MB dealer has access to them, getting them to share them with you would be nice, but you'd need the vin number.

Last edited by JDM; 06-09-2006 at 02:54 PM. Reason: stupid typo
Old 06-09-2006, 02:57 PM
JDM

2011 C300
I have seen cars bought back because they were in the shop for various reasons repeatedly, then there have been others that repeated the same problem, but the customer being so fed up, made the manufacturer buy it back. My opinion, look over the records and see what happened, then decide.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Check how it's titled too, if it mentions lemon law or buy back in the title, I'd be leery due to the trade in value.

I talked to 4 dealers about this issue, 3 salespeople said, it's absolutely no issue at trade in time. (They weren't selling me a car so they had no reason to fudge.)

The finance guy was different, he said that if I knew it was a buy back that I would be required by law to divulge that when trading. He also mentioned they do a Carfax on every trade in car prior to the deal.

Having said all that, if you get a good enough deal on the price up front ... it may well be worth it.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:28 PM

Is there a difference between a buyback and a lemon or are they one and the same. Here is the email I received on my inquiry.
Any opinions?

Of the 80 or so buybacks we have sold in the past 18 months, approximately 20% have gone back to the state of California and had the buyback reappear on the title. The customers that went through the financing process were all able to get approved and most have used either Wells Fargo, their own credit unions, or CapitalOneAutoFinance.com.

The buyback title should have some decreased value effect on the car in the long term, but if you are buying the car at a 10% discount up front and then selling for 10% less than market value in five years, you are theoretically not losing anything that you wouldn't loose by buying a non-buyback car.

We would be happy to take the car to the Mercedes dealership if you have questions or concerns regarding the buyback. They can perform a buyer's inspection for around $110.

Feel free to contact me in the office at your convenience.

Thanks,

Franz Forman
623-879-9767

On 6/7/06, r debock <roger.debock@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Thank you for responding. What impact will the recall cause on future value, and the ability to get financing on the car

Roger de Bock
619-994-1417

Franz Forman <fhforman@gmail.com> wrote:

Getting an extended warranty is not a problem if you would like me to look into it from the MBZ dealer in north Scottsdale. We can have the E55 and AMG lettering re-installed on the back of the car if you would like. The original owner liked the cleaner look of not having lettering all over the back (I think the car would look best by simply taking the remaining "E" off completely). Please give me a call in the office in the morning and I would be happy to address all of your questions in more detail than both of us typing back and forth. Or, if you would prefer to give a phone number, I can call you.

Thanks for your interest.

Franz Forman
623-879-9767
Old 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM
JDM

2011 C300
[QUOTE=03c4s]Is there a difference between a buyback and a lemon or are they one and the same. Here is the email I received on my inquiry.
Any opinions?

Thank you for responding. What impact will the recall cause on future value, and the ability to get financing on the car ;Quote 03c4s

..A buy back and a lemon is the same thing. A "recall" is somthing different entirely. A title brand would effect the value, but not nearly the same as a "reconstructed" title. A buyback just means there was an extremely dissatisfied customer due to the car having an ongoing mechanical,electrical, or cosmetic flaw that was not repaired after repeated attempts. Definately get the vin, and call the dealer, and get the story. Otherwise, you could end up with a problem child. Or, hopefully, you will steal an awsome car just depends on why it was bought back.

Last edited by JDM; 06-09-2006 at 05:19 PM. Reason: did it agin!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:25 PM
JDM

2011 C300
a couple of examples I've seen were a cadillac seville with bad paint, cadillac catera with numorous ongoing electrical problems and drivers door sheet metal that began to crack around the hinges. The car was towed into the dealer numorous times. I've also seen people cry "lemon" and go for a buyback over the stupidest things. Kinda like on this forum when someone calls a Benz a piece because the dome light burned out too soon. keep in mind, often the richer the customer, the less tolerant.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
My recommendation is to avoid them. If you are going to do it anyway, make sure you are covered by a warranty.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:08 AM

CLS55
makes me nervous.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:39 PM

Tx for the feedback, will try to get more info with vin#. Makes me nervous!! Why take the risk is imo. Will keep everyone updated.

Anyone selling their E55 04-06, I would be interested,
tx
Old 06-11-2006, 08:40 PM

tx for the clarification b/w buyback and lemon. It is my opinion they are one and the same, since the title has it mentioned.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
They are the same. I have had 2 different vehicles "repurchased". Dealers are required to tell you it was a "lemon", however, you are not required to disclose that when you sell it. That is not the same thing as a "salvage" title (ie: it was, at one time, so severely damaged that it was considered a "total" loss), that ANY seller is required to disclose. Considering how bad my '06 is, I would run, not walk, away from this car. MB is considered one of the worst as far as re-purchasing problem vehicles go, so I would guess that whatever is wrong, it's an identifiable problem that they either cannot fix, or one that WILL return. "Salvage" will appear on the title, "lemon" however, will not.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fast55
They are the same. I have had 2 different vehicles "repurchased". Dealers are required to tell you it was a "lemon", however, you are not required to disclose that when you sell it. That is not the same thing as a "salvage" title (ie: it was, at one time, so severely damaged that it was considered a "total" loss), that ANY seller is required to disclose. Considering how bad my '06 is, I would run, not walk, away from this car. MB is considered one of the worst as far as re-purchasing problem vehicles go, so I would guess that whatever is wrong, it's an identifiable problem that they either cannot fix, or one that WILL return. "Salvage" will appear on the title, "lemon" however, will not.
Tx for the info, I believe u r right/I do not want to have a problem car!

Tx u all for the input/ will keep you updated/ I will find my car
soon!!